Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

New Division posted:

The US said that they doubted the Iranians could reverse engineer the systems off the drone they caught, which was entirely intact and almost undamaged. I dunno know about that. The Iranians definitely don't have the technological base the U.S. does, but it seems a bit dumb to write off their ability to learn anything from the captured drone.

No way could they reverse engineer our advanced RC model airplane but you better well drat believe they're making a nuclear bomb underground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

SilentD posted:

The Iranians shot at the drone. That's hostile and not everyday military rival asshattery.

Escalating hostilities because somebody shot at your remote control plane isn't going to get you much support internationally.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5RhHVO0I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mx2AkIlb4M

What's going on here?

Some rebels in the east of Syria got a tank? I didn't think there was that much fighting in the east.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Canadian Surf Club posted:

No way could they reverse engineer our advanced RC model airplane but you better well drat believe they're making a nuclear bomb underground

It's not really not a good comparison because nuclear bomb technology has been around since the cold war and isn't super advanced.

Regardless of whether the Iranians can reverse engineer it or not, I see no point in it for them. They would probably just sell it to China who would have an active interest in making unmanned drones.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

New Division posted:

The US said that they doubted the Iranians could reverse engineer the systems off the drone they caught, which was entirely intact and almost undamaged. I dunno know about that. The Iranians definitely don't have the technological base the U.S. does, but it seems a bit dumb to write off their ability to learn anything from the captured drone.

They could learn some things, but they don't have the engineering capability to meaningfully apply the technology in any way that's threatening to the US, nor the industrial base to apply any advancements they can make in large numbers. The statement was really just an acknowledgment of how much Iran is not a threat to the West.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They could learn some things, but they don't have the engineering capability to meaningfully apply the technology in any way that's threatening to the US, nor the industrial base to apply any advancements they can make in large numbers. The statement was really just an acknowledgment of how much Iran is not a threat to the West.

Case in point; they somehow managed not to shoot down a drone after intercepting it.

The SU-25 is a ground attack plane but still it shouldn't have been that difficult.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Alchenar posted:

Case in point; they somehow managed not to shoot down a drone after intercepting it.

The SU-25 is a ground attack plane but still it shouldn't have been that difficult.

Yeah, this made me wonder. How did they manage not to down the drone? Maybe the stealth characteristics made it difficult to deal with. Or is the SU-25 the Soviet equivalent of an A10 warthog?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vladimir Putin posted:

It's not really not a good comparison because nuclear bomb technology has been around since the cold war and isn't super advanced.

It requires a huge industrial/chemical infrastructure to produce the fissile materials. Not to mention the precision machining/engineering to produce a hydrogen bomb, which in the public mind is never differentiated from a cruder fission weapon.

I'd bet sophisticated drones are pretty much a US only toy though, because they are likely dependent on Military grade GPS and not off the shelf parts/public satellites.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Vladimir Putin posted:

Yeah, this made me wonder. How did they manage not to down the drone? Maybe the stealth characteristics made it difficult to deal with. Or is the SU-25 the Soviet equivalent of an A10 warthog?
Drones are very small and VERY slow. The SU-25 is a ground attack plane without a computer aided gun sight. It also has a stall speed about 80mph faster than a Predator's cruising speed. Which means the predator isn't in gun range very long before the SU-25 goes blasting by it and has to turn around. Add in the facts that a 30mm gatling cannon designed to gently caress up tanks isn't what you'd call a precision instrument and that the Iranians don't get a lot of training in, and that's how that happens.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Well, you'd think they would either put some type of 'self-destruct' into the system that makes it impossible to duplicate, or on the other hand make it almost impossible to reverse engineer for the most critical systems. But I don't know..
Unmanned vehicle technology and stealth designs are pretty widely known. The real magic is in the surveillance sensors, which use encrypted software. Can the Iranians crack the codes? Maybe. But I have no idea.

Alchenar posted:

The Su-25 also moves fairly slowly, as it's a ground attack plane, so attacking a slow-moving drone seems like it would be fairly easy.

But I've read a couple of theories why it might not be. One, shooting down another aircraft is not actually easy (!), even something like a drone - it does require a lot of air-to-air training, something which Iran's Su-25 pilots might not have. Israel actually missed the first time they shot at a Hezbollah drone last month. (They blew it up with a missile on the second attempt).

Second, there could be a bunch of other factors. The U.S. might have sent fighters after the Iranians, limiting the amount of time the pilots had to try and shoot it down. The pilots might have been running low on gas. The simplest explanation is that the Iranians didn't try to shoot it down at all, but only fired warning shots.

Edit: The warning shot theory seems to track with what Iran's defense minister said:

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=9107118018

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 10, 2012

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Well, you'd think they would either put some type of 'self-destruct' into the system that makes it impossible to duplicate, or on the other hand make it almost impossible to reverse engineer for the most critical systems. But I don't know..

They do

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

New Division posted:

The Iranians claimed they hijacked a US drone over their territory a year or two ago if I recall correctly, although the US claims the drone simply malfunctioned and crashed. It's not the first time the US and Iran have had tensions over drones.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

New Division posted:

Well, according to Iran they hacked the drone's controls and captured it completely intact and according to everyone else: hahaha yeah right. Even if they did somehow get it relatively intact, reverse-engineering tends to be a destructive process, and the Iranians have only one example to work with. Plus, all the sensitive components almost certainly include anti-tamper systems that make them impossible to take apart without destroying them. More likely, as soon as word got out that the drone had gone down someone from the Chinese embassy showed up with one of those giant checks you see on game shows.

It's not that the Iranians are stupid, it's that their domestic aviation industry is light-years behind that of America, due both to sanctions and to a lack of customers to finance development. There is no export market for Iranian-built aircraft and the domestic market can't support a major industry. Here's an illustrated example:

This is the HESA Shahed 285 (click for big)

and this is the Bell OH-58D Kiowa (also click for big)

You wouldn't guess from looking at them, but both are derived from the Bell 206. The difference is, the Kiowa has additional comm gear, low-light/infrared sensors, a glass cockpit, military navigation gear, IR countermeasures, various defensive systems, and a modern four-bladed prop, while the Shahed has a completely exposed exhaust system (which is loving insane in a world with MANPADS.) The whole modern, interconnected industrial base of aviation and electronics and materials science which would employ the specialized engineers needed to build (or take apart) something like an RQ-170 exists only in an extremely limited manner in Iran.

EDIT:

Omi-Polari posted:

The simplest explanation is that the Iranians didn't try to shoot it down at all, but only fired warning shots.
Which would be hilarious because it's a drone and the pilots would most likely be completely unable to see said warning shots.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 10, 2012

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Omi-Polari posted:

The simplest explanation is that the Iranians didn't try to shoot it down at all, but only fired warning shots.
No, the simplest explanation is that they missed. Shooting planes from other planes is hard, it's why missiles got invented. Excellent pilots flying top of the line 21st century air-dominance fighters with computer aids out the rear end and a purpose built cannon can't be counted on to reliably kill targets with the gun. An Iranian revolutionary guard pilot with little training flying a stripped down 40 year old Soviet ground attack aircraft would have to get lucky to hit a small and slow drone.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

More likely, as soon as word got out that the drone had gone down someone from the Chinese embassy showed up with one of those giant checks you see on game shows.

Same thing we did during the Cold War whenever a MiG or Su crashed anywhere in the world that we could get access to.

Regarding air to air gunnery, ability of pilots to shoot down a UAV, etc., this is a good post from the AI Aviation thread...I'm gonna quote it in its entirety because it's worth reading (and I'm 99% sure the goon in question has background as a military aviator):

Geizkragen posted:

"Evasive action" in a Predator? I'm sure like every program they have their secrets, but the entire MQ series is intended for a permissive environment. With the wing loading, airspeeds and thrust on tap the Predator (or any drone of significant size for that matter) is almost completely unable to defend itself from anything more than small arms fire (which it does through altitude and distance). And depending on where it was being controlled from don't forget the lag which wouldn't allow the operators to defend it from a gun attack, which happens very, very fast.

I would be very surprised if the Frogfoot had any mechanization for A/A gunnery aside from a boresight marker set to some fixed distance/airspeed/g-loading. Basically, you would be just as well served to draw a crosshair on the canopy with a grease pencil, especially considering the next point: A/A gunnery is loving hard.

In modern western fighters you often see the gun boresight canted up a couple degrees above the horizontal axis of the aircraft. That helps get you a solution much faster in an engagement, but makes hitting poo poo on the ground harder. All the Soviet era fighters and attack aircraft have boresights directly in line with the axis of the aircraft. In general this makes ground attack easier and hitting anything airborne a bitch. Even if the Frogfoot had a funnel, it would comically hard to use in anything other than level, 1G flight, which as someone pointed out above would be hard to achieve on a slow-rear end Predator. That's not even getting into the mechanics of why you want the nose moving as you fire, how fast, and under what kind of loading.

Without only the funnel, with a gun designed for A/A engagement, in a modern aircraft with HOTAS and modern flight control systems that make things far, far easier than they should be, I've known only a few really skilled guys who were capable of hitting PLANFORM fighters consistently (in the sim, or simulated in the jet) in set-ups designed to practice our gunnery skills. Now try that with a much narrower target, that might be uncooperative, with a background of not having nearly as much time in the cockpit as you need to stay current (much less tactically proficient) and I bet these guys were hoping for that "golden BB".

For comparison: The Israelis get mucho hours, fly a modern, exremely capable fighter shooting what many would argue is the best IR missile in the world AND as an overall fighter culture have more relevant combat experience to draw on than just about anyone alive(and are some of the most professional, disciplined and skilled pilots I've ever flown with: I've always said, the country I would least want to get into a no poo poo A/A shooting war with is Israel, by a loooong shot) and their F-16I needed 2 Pythons to take down that drone a little bit ago.

All of that being said...I've seen the raggedy-rear end speedboats bravely charging US warships so this is far from the craziest thing the Iranians probably did today alone in the Gulf.

e: It's also worth mentioning that even though the Su-25 is a ground attack aircraft in the vein of the A-10 and is therefore designed for slow flight, there is "slow," and there's "SLOW." Given the fact that there's almost a 100 mph difference between the Predator's cruise speed and the Su-25's stall speed (much less its cruise speed), you're talking a considerable speed differential, meaning that the Su-25 would've been overtaking the Predator at a high rate of speed

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 10, 2012

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Torpor posted:

What's going on here?

Some rebels in the east of Syria got a tank? I didn't think there was that much fighting in the east.
There was actually a lot of fightings in eastern Syria (the rebels have a very large presence there), however those got less coverage than other areas like Aleppo/Idlib province dan Damascus.

I'm more curious with "reports" of FSA storming Kurdish towns like Ras-al-Ayn and Qamishlo, and report of battle in central Damascus.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

syria.flv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuyNRKkY3sI

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Why would Iran be patrolling with an SU-25 anyway? Are they looking for ground targets to pick off? Wouldn't it be like using an A-10 to patrol airspace? They would be better off using a standard interceptor.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

Why would Iran be patrolling with an SU-25 anyway? Are they looking for ground targets to pick off? Wouldn't it be like using an A-10 to patrol airspace? They would be better off using a standard interceptor.
More likely the Revolutionary Guard thought that they hadn't done anything insane and pointlessly provocative recently and that no one was paying attention to them so they grabbed the only aircraft they had with any air-to-air capability at all and decided to go bother a drone.

With all the attention on Syria and the US elections they were probably feeling lonely.

The Iranian air forces don't really "patrol." Mostly because they can't afford to. Combat aircraft aren't the sort of machines you can just cruise around in and not worry about. Every hour they spend in the air necessitates multiple hours of expensive maintenance on the ground. If you're Iran and your fleet is a hodge-podge of well-used former Iraqi and Soviet airframes and your supply channels for replacement parts are unreliable, you keep those planes on the ground and hope they work when you need them.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 10, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Have you guys considered that maybe they didn't intend to shoot it down at all, just fire warning shots?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Crasscrab posted:

Have you guys considered that maybe they didn't intend to shoot it down at all, just fire warning shots?

At a drone. With no one inside it. Others have given long explanations why the simplest explanation is they used a plane that is terrible at doing the exact job they tried to do.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dead Reckoning posted:

EDIT:
Which would be hilarious because it's a drone and the pilots would most likely be completely unable to see said warning shots.

By that logic we wouldn't know at all that they tried :confused: because they missed and we noticed they missed. How is it functionally different if its a 'warning shot' or a 'missed shot'

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

More likely the Revolutionary Guard thought that they hadn't done anything insane and pointlessly provocative recently and that no one was paying attention to them so they grabbed the only aircraft they had with any air-to-air capability at all and decided to go bother a drone.

With all the attention on Syria and the US elections they were probably feeling lonely.

The Iranian air forces don't really "patrol." Mostly because they can't afford to. Combat aircraft aren't the sort of machines you can just cruise around in and not worry about. Every hour they spend in the air necessitates multiple hours of expensive maintenance on the ground. If you're Iran and your fleet is a hodge-podge of well-used former Iraqi and Soviet airframes and your supply channels for replacement parts are unreliable, you keep those planes on the ground and hope they work when you need them.

It's really not much of a hodge-podge of Iraqi and Soviet airframes, Iran got a rather functional internal air industry that produces plenty of new F-5 "upgrades" (actual performance not known) and for older stuff they got several squadrons of various american F-4 variants (and maybe F-14) and chinese F-7 (modernized Mig 21 built by China) aircraft.

Spare parts and airframes are probably not that much of a problem for them. Expense, maybe. General dictatorship paranoia over pilot loyalties - probably.

But the American forces in the neighbourhood probably knows more about current Iranian patrolling.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

It's really not much of a hodge-podge of Iraqi and Soviet airframes, Iran got a rather functional internal air industry that produces plenty of new F-5 "upgrades" (actual performance not known) and for older stuff they got several squadrons of various american F-4 variants (and maybe F-14) and chinese F-7 (modernized Mig 21 built by China) aircraft.

Spare parts and airframes are probably not that much of a problem for them. Expense, maybe. General dictatorship paranoia over pilot loyalties - probably.

But the American forces in the neighbourhood probably knows more about current Iranian patrolling.
Revolutionary Guard SU-25s are a mix of Iraqi and ex-Soviet airframes. Should have been more clear on what I was talking about. Why the Iranian Air Force didn't go bother a drone with real fighters is anyone's guess. Probably internal politics.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Revolutionary Guard SU-25s are a mix of Iraqi and ex-Soviet airframes. Should have been more clear on what I was talking about. Why the Iranian Air Force didn't go bother a drone with real fighters is anyone's guess. Probably internal politics.

They're professional enough not to open fire on an aircraft in international airspace. The IRGC...not so much.

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!

iyaayas01 posted:

They're professional enough not to open fire on an aircraft in international airspace. The IRGC...not so much.

Just because the US says the drone was in international airspace doesn't mean it is true.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Will Rice posted:

Just because the US says the drone was in international airspace doesn't mean it is true.

Nobody remembers that spy plane that collided with a loving Chinese fighter jet that was TOTALLY over international airspace despite the fact it crashed and landed in Chinese airspace and its crew was held hostage by the Chinese government.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That baby has better trigger discipline than many American cops.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrQwerty posted:

Nobody remembers that spy plane that collided with a loving Chinese fighter jet that was TOTALLY over international airspace despite the fact it crashed and landed in Chinese airspace and its crew was held hostage by the Chinese government.

...except it was pretty clearly verifiable (and agreed upon by both sides) that the EP-3 was in international airspace. Like 70+ miles away from Hainan, not even close. It didn't "crash" in Chinese airspace, the crew of the EP-3 were able to luckily put it down on Hainan after 30 minutes of struggling to control the aircraft and avoid crashing into the ocean.

I don't think you guys understand how slow and vulnerable (and big, in the EP-3's case) these kinds of aircraft are. There are aircraft like the RQ-170 or SR-71 that are fast, high, and/or stealthy enough to risk flying in non-permissive airspace, because the likelihood of them being detected and/or engaged is low enough to take the risk. The Predator is nowhere close to that category...if the U.S. wanted to fly an aircraft over another country's airspace it would be something other than a Predator (like a RQ-170).

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Not sure where these photos came from, but some are really well done. Obviously, some are pretty grisly.

http://ir-ingr.livejournal.com/1185799.html

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
These 'was in international airspace' or 'was in international waters' disputes between countries is the worst.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

gvibes posted:

Not sure where these photos came from, but some are really well done. Obviously, some are pretty grisly.

http://ir-ingr.livejournal.com/1185799.html

Just came in here to post the very same link. There are quite a few other interesting photo sets too there, from Africa, Sandy etc.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This was the BBC top story for a little while but they went back to SexgaziGate:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20278774

Yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20277710

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20265166

quote:

Gen Valery Gerasimov replaces Gen Nikolai Makarov as the new armed forces chief of general staff.

Gen Gerasimov commanded Russian forces during the conflict in Chechnya.

Tuesday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20218216

Something's going on behind the scenes that I really doubt has anything to do with Benghazi.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but I don't think there's anything going on behind the scenes here other than Putin wanting to clean house in the military leadership (he knows which side his bread is buttered on...the old leadership was pissing off the military rank and file with their modernization reforms, which is not something Putin would be happy with if he wants to stay in power) and the U.S. not being cool with Iraq buying billions of dollars worth of Russian arms. The LockMart thing is unrelated; highly paid executive can't keep dick in pants, isn't smart enough to keep story from getting out into the open, news at 11.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They aren't necessarily directly connected; but that beyond the Chinese Politburo and US election there are other changes in staff (and policy and disposition) occurring in the three Major World Powers all at once, and the Iraq 'will they or won't they' game is one of many proxy struggles for power (since we have a global economic crisis and an Arms Sale involves those sweet, sweet petrodollars).

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

McDowell posted:

They aren't necessarily directly connected; but that beyond the Chinese Politburo and US election there are other changes in staff (and policy and disposition) occurring in the three Major World Powers all at once, and the Iraq 'will they or won't they' game is one of many proxy struggles for power (since we have a global economic crisis and an Arms Sale involves those sweet, sweet petrodollars).

And Egypt finally is implementing the ban on porn.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Torpor posted:

What's going on here?

Unless I'm mistaken, it seemed like an effort at:

-spotters using cover
-hull-down firing
-shoot and scoot

That looked quite more professional than I expected from the rebels.

Also, any new info from Taftanaz? That looked like a big deal.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Also, any new info from Taftanaz? That looked like a big deal.
They ran out of ammo on the first day and pulled back, claimed to have destroyed 10 helicopters, but no way of being sure. They supposedly used 3 tanks in that attack as well, so there's certainly more and more reports of tanks being used by the opposition, seems to suggest they are less worried about air attacks.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

As long as Egypt lets every country go through the Suez pretty much no one cares what they do.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

McDowell posted:

As long as Egypt lets every country go through the Suez pretty much no one cares what they do.

A lot of people care whether Egypt's government proves to be liberal/restrictive, or religious/secular, and we also care about how much influence the Salafi have on Egyptian policy. It's also very relevant to America's foreign policy; an Egypt with religious policies will shore up Republican opposition to other Arab movements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

esquilax posted:

A lot of people care whether Egypt's government proves to be liberal/restrictive, or religious/secular, and we also care about how much influence the Salafi have on Egyptian policy. It's also very relevant to America's foreign policy; an Egypt with religious policies will shore up Republican opposition to other Arab movements.

They care but there isn't much they can do about it since this is supposed to be a new era for Popular Sovereignty and a practical test of the NeoCon Democracy Agenda.

In terms of Great Power Calculus I don't think Egypt factors in much more than the Suez, probably should have been clearer on that, sorry.

• Locked thread