Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I think Nano Assault Neo is Day 1 eShop. And it frankly looks rad as gently caress. No idea about the price though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All the devs that announced their poo poo as day-one titles are still hedging. I doubt we're gonna know exactly what will and won't be there until it's out.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I got my hands on a demo unit at Gamestop today. Overall I was very impressed. The controller felt light and a good fit in my hands, and I was very impressed with the graphics. I only played Rayman for a few minutes, but it looked pretty drat great considering I was playing Rayman Origins a little bit before I went to try to demo and the visual differences were pretty noticeable.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I played rayman today at best buy - I haven't seen the original in person, but this one looked fantastic. I hope the murphy levels aren't so boring in the full release (I managed to get rayman stuck forever on a rope somehow, on my second time through). The rotating puzzle was kinda fun.

Gamestop appears to have just charged my bank account for the preorder - I thought they don't do that until they are about to ship?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Mennonites Revenge posted:

The only difficulty is that GamePad streaming would have to still remain active, and maybe that's not possible when doing Wii hardware emulation? Still, I hope it gets a fix, like SD Card support did.

From what I understand, the Wii stuff on the WiiU is like the GC stuff on Wii was. They're not doing emulation of any form, they've just stuffed the hardware from the last console inside the next console, and so whenever you hit up GC/Wii mode, the new console features go to sleep and it's like you're playing on a GC/Wii.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

thefncrow posted:

From what I understand, the Wii stuff on the WiiU is like the GC stuff on Wii was. They're not doing emulation of any form, they've just stuffed the hardware from the last console inside the next console, and so whenever you hit up GC/Wii mode, the new console features go to sleep and it's like you're playing on a GC/Wii.

Maybe I misused the phrase "hardware emulation". I was saying essentially you could trick the Wii hardware into thinking the GamePad screen was the actual TV screen, in a similar way that the 3DS can trick its DSi components into using a stripped-down Home menu (by telling it the device went into sleep mode). I think after this last page of discussion, that's looking pretty unlikely.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I wasn't really interested in this until the wife and I played the demo unit at Best Buy today, after leaving we started talking about it and decided this could be our Christmas present for ourselves this year.

But being a Sunday the Best Buy had already closed, I'm wanting to get it there as I have some gift cards, I'm going to call in the morning but on the off chance does anyone know whether they are still doing preorders, or if it would be possible just to show up next Sunday and pick one up?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Disappointing Pie posted:

I wasn't really interested in this until the wife and I played the demo unit at Best Buy today, after leaving we started talking about it and decided this could be our Christmas present for ourselves this year.

But being a Sunday the Best Buy had already closed, I'm wanting to get it there as I have some gift cards, I'm going to call in the morning but on the off chance does anyone know whether they are still doing preorders, or if it would be possible just to show up next Sunday and pick one up?

If you kill someone with a preorder and wear their skin in there's about a 50-50 chance you'll get one assuming they don't notice the blood trail. That seems to be the only way.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any word if you can move multiple Wii data to the Wii U? I have my original Wii that my dad owns with most of my VC/Wiiware games, but I got a later unit last year that has about a dozen Wii/Wiiware games and all my saves. Can I move both, or moving one overwrites the other?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't remember how any of that works on 3DS, but I wager it'll work identically on Wii U, so go ask the 3DS thread and someone will tell you.

EDIT: Iwata Asks: Wii U Chat! (click)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Maybe I misused the phrase "hardware emulation". I was saying essentially you could trick the Wii hardware into thinking the GamePad screen was the actual TV screen, in a similar way that the 3DS can trick its DSi components into using a stripped-down Home menu (by telling it the device went into sleep mode). I think after this last page of discussion, that's looking pretty unlikely.
A better example might be the old DS where you could pick which screen to output GBA games, they've also done some control mapping with the 3DS analog being usable as a dpad in DS games. Whether it's technically possible or not, I just don't expect it for Wii disc games (while VC/WiiWare might be another story cause they can continue selling them).

Rirse posted:

Any word if you can move multiple Wii data to the Wii U? I have my original Wii that my dad owns with most of my VC/Wiiware games, but I got a later unit last year that has about a dozen Wii/Wiiware games and all my saves. Can I move both, or moving one overwrites the other?
With the way they've handled digital stuff before, I don't know if Nintendo is even aware of the concept of a person owning multiple systems. I wouldn't bet on it working but you never know.

Fake edit: the 3DS method is a full system copy type of thing I think, no merging there afaik. Stuff like that is why I wouldn't expect it to work, but the Wii U sounds less stupid in other ways so who knows.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I can't remember how any of that works on 3DS, but I wager it'll work identically on Wii U, so go ask the 3DS thread and someone will tell you.

So for right now, you have to end gameplay.

Iwata

That makes sense. By the way, I can imagine all sorts of possible situations, like what if the other person is playing Wii U? Or what if they aren't using their Wii U? What happens in those cases?

Tamiya

First, when the other person is online with Wii U, and you call them, their Home Button will flash to let them know a call is coming in. If they open the Menu, they'll get a message telling them they have an in-coming call, and if they answer it, the Wii U Chat session begins.

Iwata

But they have to end the game they were playing, right?

Tamiya

Yes, they will have to end the game.

Iwata

There must be technical hurdles involved, but I hope this is an area that we can improve on in the future.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I hadn't been reading the Iwata Asks at all. That was a mistake. Why aren't they selling this thing?:

That's bleeding edge tech, man. Looks really next gen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So for right now, you have to end gameplay.

Iwata

There must be technical hurdles involved, but I hope this is an area that we can improve on in the future.

Iwata's comment here is basically code for "we're working on a fix".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's still not very clear to me what kind of features the Wii U OS has. Like having to quit out of a game to video chat is dumb, but, can you message people on your friends list? Can you start a regular chatroom with them, ingame? I don't see how the Wii U, with it's one gig dedicated to the OS, can't facilitate this. Text chat isn't demanding at all.

Maybe they'd say "Just use Miiverse" but not every game even supports it, plus I would just want to talk to my bros and not gametweet at the world.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Are you asking why it can't do these things when you don't actually know whether it does them?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm pretty sure the answer to all those questions at the moment is "just use Miiverse" but they'll be actively adding/fixing poo poo this time around, unlike Wii.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Are you asking why it can't do these things when you don't actually know whether it does them?
Yes because the correct assumption to always use with Nintendo is "Does it have (X)? NOPE"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They have a lot more freedom to update and overhaul now that the home menu is run by an actual OS, instead of just being a pretend-OS menu that's included in each individual piece of software.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think the most interesting part of this interview so far is that they're actually actively working with a number of third parties and middleware authors on things. Nintendo has historically had a huge NIH problem, and that they're not trying to reinvent the wheel this time around like they did with the Wii for everything is extremely promising.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yes because the correct assumption to always use with Nintendo is "Does it have (X)? NOPE"

That's fair.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

japtor posted:

the 3DS method is a full system copy type of thing I think, no merging there afaik. Stuff like that is why I wouldn't expect it to work, but the Wii U sounds less stupid in other ways so who knows.

A transfer from Wii to Wii U would be more comparable to one between DSi to 3DS. This guy apparently transferred content from two DSis to one 3DS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMajCmyNpKY&t=25s

So maybe you could transfer from more than one Wii?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Comparison shot of the Pro Controller

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I hadn't been reading the Iwata Asks at all. That was a mistake. Why aren't they selling this thing?:

That's bleeding edge tech, man. Looks really next gen.

It's called Paper Prototyping.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Quest For Glory II posted:

We are talking about a Nintendo console with an HDMI cable in the box, a mic, camera, gyroscope, sensor bar, touch screen, and clickable sticks all in the controller, and legitimate third party support.

"Does it have X?" is no longer a question you can answer with any confidence.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chaltab posted:

We are talking about a Nintendo console with an HDMI cable in the box, a mic, camera, gyroscope, sensor bar, touch screen, and clickable sticks all in the controller, and legitimate third party support.

You underestimate the whine of the internet.

People are still complaining about storage in one sentence then the console price the next.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chaltab posted:

It is weird that this morning I have seen a ton of news stories shocked it doesn't have achievements. I don't want to get into a discussion of whether anyone likes achievements or not, it's just weird it's a big story this morning because I feel like we've known for months about that.

TOMORROW, that will be the big Wii U day. Review embargo ends. IGN will have a ton of review media for at least ZonbiU, Nintendo land(spoiler: it's actually a gritty drama ala Copland), NSMBU and Ninja Gaiden3. The floodgates open tomorrow.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
I really hope the interface for the TV remote stuff is nice, because my universal remote eats through batteries like crazy and I'm getting tired of it. Lost the remote I got with the cable box.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You underestimate the whine of the internet.

People are still complaining about storage in one sentence then the console price the next.

I heard them complaining on the joystiq podcast yesterday about it not having component or standard rgb cables included because "hdmi is really new not everyone has it".

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

greatn posted:

I heard them complaining on the joystiq podcast yesterday about it not having component or standard rgb cables included because "hdmi is really new not everyone has it".

Wait, it doesn't come with an RGB cable??

Neither of the TVs that I own have HDMI.

v v v Oh, excellent.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 12, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It can use the same video/audio cables the Wii uses, so just use one of those.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really don't care what people think of the system, statisticly it's impossible to not have atleast a few games to justify it's pricetag.

The Dreamcast was the last system that was an actual failure. The system had more good games on it that exceeded the intial cost of the system.Even if a system is lukewarm like the PSP when it came out, at the end of it's cycle I had like 50 games for it and many of the re-release were rare/expensive stuff like Lunar or Valkyrie Profile and there was also Monster Hunter. The Original X-Box, has a rock solid library(that is underappreciated which means you can get alot of really good games for a mere few dollars). Even the PS3 and it's 500 dollar pricetag, I wound up getting well more than 500 dollars of games for that system. Same with the Xbox 360 and Wii too.

Allthough to be honest I have to say no system yet has been able to top the PS2 in sheer quanitity and quality, I've got 200+ games for that system alone. I tend to use that as my yard stick as far as quality goes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

Wait, it doesn't come with an RGB cable??

Neither of the TVs that I own have HDMI.

It uses the same A/V port as the Wii when not using HDMI so yes, it will have component cables.

edit: this thread moves fast now!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

greatn posted:

To be fair, I do think it's a bit baffling. My weirdass TV has DVI instead of HDMI. Though I already have component cables regardless.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
The TV I'm going to use doesn't have HDMI because it's some old 60 inch or something I got free from a bar but already got a component cable for the Wii so I'm all ready.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Nintendo is telling you to go spend $300 on a decent TV before you buy a new console, you peasants. (And I agree.)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hope miiverse is a universal thing, and you can just text-chat people.

Well, not like hope, more like "It loving better be Nintendo it's 2012."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like the Miiverse concept. A dedicated gaming social network. Like 360 has facebook integration but I will never use it, I don't want to post achievements and beacons and stuff to my facebook wall, but to a specific contained gaming social network, hell yeah.

I assume direct messaging would be a thing on it, like any other social network. Can't wait to add all you goons.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Just the other day I decided I'd get a Wii U. This poo poo is hard to find now! Goddamn. Why isn't it ever simple to buy a system on launch day. I did hours of waiting at Walmarts for the last 2 Nintendo console launches, don't think I'm going to do that this time. Guess I'll be waiting for a while after launch to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Just the other day I decided I'd get a Wii U. This poo poo is hard to find now! Goddamn. Why isn't it ever simple to buy a system on launch day. I did hours of waiting at Walmarts for the last 2 Nintendo console launches, don't think I'm going to do that this time. Guess I'll be waiting for a while after launch to get one.

Yeah they are pretty much gone everywhere, only way I secured one is bestbuys website randomly got 1 white version back in stock. I was legitimately surprised that it let me order it.

• Locked thread