Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Katana Gomai posted:

That's awesome, thanks for sharing zari-gani! Speaking of Earthbound, just saw a boxed copy in relatively good condition close for 360€ on ebay.de; I didn't think the craze had reached Europe just yet but there you go.

Well, they got it worse because Earthbound was never released in Europe. So I can see the justification for that price (sorta).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I know it has never been released here, but on the other hand a lot of Germans collect PAL (or German) only, so I expected it to close around 200€ but not the literal equivalent of $500. Very eager to see that particular market crash.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Was busy this weekend so I didn't work on the Famicom, but I did go thrift store shopping with my fiance. Ended up coming across a 7" portable flat screen TV for $6 with composite inputs. Works perfectly and right now I have it sitting with an NES on my desk to game during homework and study breaks. Now I just need to find all of my NES games, getting tired of playing Little Mermaid and TMNT 1...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for contributing with that 3d0 post; will add it to the OP ASAP!

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Stopped by the Goodwill while I was out and picked up some goodies:

Wing Commander CIB for 1.99 and Dungeon Hack for .99. Wing Commander also had a secret surprise bonus of having the cds and reference cards for Wing Commander III.

I'm not sure what Dungeon Hack originally came with, but all that was in it were the floppies and the (hefty!) manual inside what seemed like an original envelope.

They also had SimGolf in a jewel case for $5, but I only had a few bucks on me that I could spare so I passed that up.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Awesomonster posted:

Dungeon Hack for .99.

:stare: I dunno how I should feel about you right now.

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.
After succumbing to the pressure of the GameStop ps2 game sale. I need another ps2 so does anyone have a ps2 phat laying around that they want to sell? Please PM me!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Sexy Slippers posted:

After succumbing to the pressure of the GameStop ps2 game sale. I need another ps2 so does anyone have a ps2 phat laying around that they want to sell? Please PM me!

Hah, maybe the thread should have been titled, "Buying games we can't play"

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Pinguliten posted:

Mah, since I can't afford to buy anything I guess I can at least show you (blurry) pictures of my Dreamcast setup:
*snip*

I got more shmups and quite a few fighters of course. I hacked a DC pad, I got a small amplifier inside and since the monitor can take VGA I just use a VGA box.

I need to work on getting more consoles to work with the cabinet though.

Niiiiiiiice. :swoon:

I got partway through modding a Genesis to work with my SFII cab, but ended up shelving it when I moved out of my last apartment (the cab is currently in storage). I really just need to hack up some gamepads and wire up a JAMMA fingerboard before I can call it complete.

I did manage to get one picture before taking it all apart:

Lovely, lovely RGB... :allears:

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Having gone to the Gamestop website to find out what this PS2 sale is that you all are talking about, I am now $80 poorer thank you very much! But, you know, I now have 48 games to add to the pile.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ohnoitschris posted:

Or they could just be like Sony and have an imports section for Japanese games. There are a handful of PS1 games sold on PSN without translation, and they even include the instruction booklets - still just in Japanese. While it'd be nice of them to add a little translation cheat sheet in the manual, it works fine. Nintendo should just do that and rake in the piles of easy money.

I know and I would love it to function that way.

Why bother re-inventing the wheel. Stuff like sales that sell games for a few dollars are a good thing and digital nitche releases appeal to a good number of people. Honestly there's probably dozens of famicom and super famicom games I would like to play, and having digital releases would probably be the cheapest way to go outside of bargain priced physical compilations.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 12, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Awesomonster posted:

I'm not sure what Dungeon Hack originally came with, but all that was in it were the floppies and the (hefty!) manual inside what seemed like an original envelope.

I also picked up a boxed Dungeon Hack for sale at a Half-Price Books for around $5. All you're missing is a Business Reply card and 2 SSI catalogs (Winter 93 & Summer 94).

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:

Katana Gomai posted:

I know it has never been released here, but on the other hand a lot of Germans collect PAL (or German) only, so I expected it to close around 200€ but not the literal equivalent of $500. Very eager to see that particular market crash.

It was actually more expensive in the EU before the US, just because it's harder to find over here. As a collector of Pal ENG, I still make very little distinction when it comes to NTSC exclusive titles.

Also just shelled out the equivalent of $200 for a cart only copy, then I go over to completed listings to find that some lucky bastard spent about $100 more and got in complete in box. :argh:

Unused fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 12, 2012

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
So I just did a very impulsive thing and bought myself a Turbo Express that I'm going to have to put new caps on. Which is fine, but there was no AC adapter in the package. Suggestions on where to get a cheap one so I don't have to throw batteries at it?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Caitlin posted:

So I just did a very impulsive thing and bought myself a Turbo Express that I'm going to have to put new caps on. Which is fine, but there was no AC adapter in the package. Suggestions on where to get a cheap one so I don't have to throw batteries at it?

This guy has new ones for $16.99

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

HKR posted:

This guy has new ones for $16.99

I just learned that I've been vastly undercharging for TE cap replacements.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

JJJJJS posted:

Don't feel bad about it. See it as charity! As a hobby, keeping a piece of history living and in use!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Yesterday I found a nice surprise at Goodwill, mixed in between some sports games and a Jeopardy game there was a nice boxed copy of Mortal Kombat 2! The manual is a little crumpled up but for 3 bucks I am pleased.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

JJJJJS posted:

To be entirely fair there's no way I'd pay $75 for a cap replacement, that's kind of obscene.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
This is a cool thread. I too enjoy retro games, here is a photo of my meagre collection.

That's from a few years ago since then I've added a Mega Drive with Action 52 :shepface:. The SNES with the UFO has a 50/60 hertz switch and the region check disabled, but otherwise nothing is modded.
I also had a Master System and a massive collection of games gifted to me, but on my last visit back to Australia the guy who gave it to me asked for it back. He gave it to me on the condition that I used it and so I can't blame him him for wanting it back as I've been living in Japan for the last 3 years. But I also gave him a few titles I had picked up myself and I'm kicking myself about that. The Master System is my favourite console and I'll be happy to do a bit of a write up, though I don't know everything about it.

More recently this thread has me been toying with idea of picking up a PC Engine even though I don't have a TV at my place. The local game shops PC Engine Duo R's for about ¥15,000 and PC Engine CoreGrafx II's for ¥22,000, does this seem about right? I also found a Laser Active with both the PC Engine and MD pacs for ¥26,000.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Isn't it just dreamy? :allears:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Did chat die? I'm the only one in the channel.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

MediumWellDone posted:

This is a cool thread. I too enjoy retro games, here is a photo of my meagre collection.

That's from a few years ago since then I've added a Mega Drive with Action 52 :shepface:. The SNES with the UFO has a 50/60 hertz switch and the region check disabled, but otherwise nothing is modded.
I also had a Master System and a massive collection of games gifted to me, but on my last visit back to Australia the guy who gave it to me asked for it back. He gave it to me on the condition that I used it and so I can't blame him him for wanting it back as I've been living in Japan for the last 3 years. But I also gave him a few titles I had picked up myself and I'm kicking myself about that. The Master System is my favourite console and I'll be happy to do a bit of a write up, though I don't know everything about it.

More recently this thread has me been toying with idea of picking up a PC Engine even though I don't have a TV at my place. The local game shops PC Engine Duo R's for about ¥15,000 and PC Engine CoreGrafx II's for ¥22,000, does this seem about right? I also found a Laser Active with both the PC Engine and MD pacs for ¥26,000.

All those Japanese SNES games, and your only American one is NHL '96 of all things? Still, very nice collection, and I wanna point out that you've got the box for Shadowrun on SFC with its super 90's badical box art. Which I wanna find someday.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Crimson Harvest posted:

Did chat die? I'm the only one in the channel.

You sure you're in #retrochat on irc.synirc.net? Have over 40 people idling in it. Maybe you got netsplit or something.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

ohnoitschris posted:

All those Japanese SNES games, and your only American one is NHL '96 of all things? Still, very nice collection, and I wanna point out that you've got the box for Shadowrun on SFC with its super 90's badical box art. Which I wanna find someday.

$30 from a guy I met when I was in Uni. Not the best condition, but I really like the game.

The carts are mainly PAL region, same with the systems. It was cool when I finally installed the switch and got to see exactly how much the picture is squashed at 50 hertz.

I can't recall exactly why I got NHL '96, something to do with testing the while modding the SNES. Never actually played the game though.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

JJJJJS posted:

Ugh, I didn't charge that much for a Laseractive Sega pac cap replacement.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Ugh, I didn't charge that much for a Laseractive Sega pac cap replacement.

I got three of those (and a nec pac) I need to do without having one of those hot air desoldering tools. Do you have any tips on how to remove those pesky little buggers and what should I use to clean the PCB after they're gone? There is quite a bit of leakage on one of the PCBs.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Pinguliten posted:

I got three of those (and a nec pac) I need to do without having one of those hot air desoldering tools. Do you have any tips on how to remove those pesky little buggers and what should I use to clean the PCB after they're gone? There is quite a bit of leakage on one of the PCBs.

The thought of doing three of these without a smd rework station is stuff from my nightmares. (It takes me about 15-20 minutes to remove all the caps from a Sega pac using air. Keep this in mind as you are working because, if you're like me, you'll quickly find that the initial investment for a smd rework station is totally worth it.) Take it slow if you're removing them with a soldering iron and don't apply much/any force or you'll lift pads. Neutralize with white vinegar for about 5-10 minutes and clean thoroughly with alcohol. A soft tooth brush is handy for this. Do yourself a huge favor and pick up some solder paste for putting the new caps on. After you are done, if you have any exposed traces, (this is really likely on these pacs) get some clear finger nail polish and give them a coat to keep them from oxidizing further.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

The thought of doing three of these without a smd rework station is stuff from my nightmares. (It takes me about 15-20 minutes to remove all the caps from a Sega pac using air. Keep this in mind as you are working because, if you're like me, you'll quickly find that the initial investment for a smd rework station is totally worth it.) Take it slow if you're removing them with a soldering iron and don't apply much/any force or you'll lift pads. Neutralize with white vinegar for about 5-10 minutes and clean thoroughly with alcohol. A soft tooth brush is handy for this. Do yourself a huge favor and pick up some solder paste for putting the new caps on. After you are done, if you have any exposed traces, (this is really likely on these pacs) get some clear finger nail polish and give them a coat to keep them from oxidizing further.

Good info there, I tried removing three of the capacitors one one of them. On the first one one of the small pads under one of the legs came loose, and I lifted a trace on one the second cap I removed, the second one went ok and the third one had me lifting a trace a little. I gave up in horror after that. I need proper gear, I might be able to borrow some if I'm lucky.

Thanks again about the other info.

Another thing though, do you have tips on which capacitors to buy and do you have a tip on where to procure them? I mean I counted them and I need 285 of them in total.

10µF 16V *214
10uF 16V Non-polar *6
22µF 16V *13
47µF 16V *31
100µF 16V *15
470µF 16V *3
1µF 50V *3

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 12, 2012

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Pinguliten posted:

Good info there, I tried removing three of the capacitors one one of them. On the first one one of the small pads under one of the legs came loose, and I lifted a trace on one the second cap I removed, the second one went ok and the third one had me lifting a trace a little. I gave up in horror after that. I need proper gear, I might be able to borrow some if I'm lucky.

Thanks again about the other info.

Another thing though, do you have tips on which capacitors to buy and do you have a tip on where to procure them? I mean I counted them and I need 285 of them in total.

10µF 16V *214
10uF 16V Non-polar *6
22µF 16V *13
47µF 16V *31
100µF 16V *15
470µF 16V *3
1µF 50V *3

I usually just use Digikey. I tend to spend the extra few cents a cap to get Rubycon or Panasonic. Really though, you should be fine with anything as long as you buy from a reputable dealer and not some shady Chinese ebayer. Also, if this is your first time, be sure to get a few extras in case of mistakes.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Thanks to a rather awesome goon I received an Everdrive MD. What games should I be throwing on here (non released stuff)?

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Ah, good ol' SNES Shadowrun. Yeah, it was good. I guess.

But GEN Shadowrun is where it's at :)

Of course, we could just bypass them altogether and go for the cream of the cyberpunk crop: Syndicate.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Vrikkian posted:

Of course, we could just bypass them altogether and go for the cream of the cyberpunk crop: Syndicate.

Genesis Shadowrun is way too repetitive for my tastes. Completely agree with Syndicate, though. I first played through it on the 3do of all things.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vrikkian posted:

I own genesis Shadowrun and Syndicate, but haven't played either.

Also back on the Ys tip, Book 2 is way better than book 1. The bosses make me feel less like smashing things, so that's a big plus.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Caitlin posted:

Having one of these (or one of the Duo equivalent variants) might actually cause me to care about TG16 collecting... how's the sound on yours?

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

Caitlin posted:

Oh gosh I'm so jealous! I've wanted one of these for years. I've heard they get really hot really quick though, is that true?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

This is a cosmicjim edition of things you can't ever have.
The n64 games themselves aren't that notable, but having them CIB is. Clay Fighter Sculptor's Cut(n64), Stunt Racer 64(n64), Final Fight Guy(snes), and Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak(nes) are all supposedly rental exclusives in the US. International Superstar Soccer 2000(n64) was a mail in order exclusive in the US, and the box and manual are really hard to find in English.
You can still import Tomato's wordimagesoundplay(ntsc-j) fairly cheaply, but it has a very small print, but there currently isn't any demand.

The genesis carts are Blockbuster Game Factory carts. They are rare, but don't have much value because #1 they aren't widely known about, #2 the ones in existence are mostly blank. It was a test by Blockbuster for flashing games onto the carts at the store for rentals on demand instead of having to have multiple copies of the games. Licensing fees and payments couldn't be worked out with game makers, so it was quickly scrapped. The different colored labels seem to indicate memory size. I've only seen blue and green, personally.

Mario's Tennis(VB) isn't a rental exclusive, but it was a Virtual Boy pack in that didn't have a retail release, so the boxes for them were rental exclusives, because rental places wanted to be able to rent out Tennis separately from the system.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

cosmicjim posted:

The genesis carts are Blockbuster Game Factory carts. They are rare, but don't have much value because #1 they aren't widely known about, #2 the ones in existence are mostly blank. It was a test by Blockbuster for flashing games onto the carts at the store for rentals on demand instead of having to have multiple copies of the games. Licensing fees and payments couldn't be worked out with game makers, so it was quickly scrapped. The different colored labels seem to indicate memory size. I've only seen blue and green, personally.

So, in other words they're perfect for repros.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

WickedIcon posted:

So, in other words they're perfect for repros.

This reminds me of Richard Pryor using incredibly rare stamps to send mail to purposely waste money in the movie "Brewster's Millions"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Out running on the bike path yesterday I found a copy of Troy Aikman's Football for the Genesis. Someone had apparently put it in a fire, and then left it in the woods to rot. Such a sad life for an old sports game. :(

• Locked thread