Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

The Distance kickstarter is in its last 5 days, and they just got a $10,000 backer! The game looks rad as hell and they need only $25,000 more!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1857884659/distance-a-next-generation-arcade-racer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

miguelito posted:

The concept art has never been the problem - it's the dire looking top-down game levels and the horrible characters. The worst thing is they keep putting those front and center, seemingly blissfully unaware how disconnected it makes them look.
And with KS comment sections naturally containing mostly positive replies, it's a neverending bullshit feedback loop that might absolutely lead to failure for some projects...
The reason they're keeping those great concept pieces to the sides is they've said straight out they're not planning in their budget to be able to do the whole game in that style and most of it will be in the top down dungeon style that they've got in their other shots. :(

I've got enough nostalgia and they seem like nice people that I'm backing it for a moderate ammount, but I'm of mixed opinion on how good it will be if it makes it.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Now that they only have 6 days left, it's obvious that the Ars Magica Kickstarter won't make it - but the newly released combat UI screenshot sure looks good.

quote:

Your Monday morning Ars Magica update: The Combat UI!

In Update 4, we discussed how Combat will work in the game- today, we have a concept screenshot to show you graphically how that will work.

The center portion of the UI is the map, and this displays not only the position of the combatants but also the various features available. You can mouse over these for more information, and click on them to take contextual actions or move characters to them. As noted previously, unused features can come and go as the rounds passed, so you’ll want to be looking at the map for additional options as time goes by.

You’ll also notice the little icons for the combatants which ring the map’s edges. You can click on these to change targets or focus on a feature, if you do not want to navigate by map.

Above and below the map you have information related to the currently selected character (top), and the active character (bottom.) Here you can review known information about the characters, generally contextual to the actions available. You can also click on the main portrait to see a more detailed character sheet, where appropriate.

To the right of the map is the general features list, for easy reference. Some features, as for example the Chesnut Limb and Hollow Trunk, are parts of a larger feature, in this case a Chesnut Tree. This list, like the map, is updated as features become available and/or move out of the flow of combat. You are also able to close this pane if you prefer to work directly on the map.

On the left of the map is the contextual action list for a specific target. The top portion of this pane shows actions which are directed at the target, and the bottom shows actions which are directed towards yourself. You can expand this pane to show more options, or you may close it and work directly from a larger map.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
[its-happening-ron-paul.gif]

WARNING: The announcement you are about to read is canon.

http://www.talesofgames.com/2012/11/barkley-2-announcement-kickstarter-coming-soon/

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Yoya posted:

http://www.talesofgames.com/2012/11/barkley-2-announcement-kickstarter-coming-soon/
I don't know if I could ever be ready for a world in which this game exists.

Day one pledge right here.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Yoya posted:

Well this is just about the best thing to come out of Kickstarter.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yoya posted:

I am stoked. I can imagine it being tens of times greater if he's actually getting paid to do it. Day one pledge, because I believe.

I AM THE LAW
Jul 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yoya posted:

cboyardee can have all my gold...Incan gold...

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
gently caress yes. I could not stop laughing at the save points conversations.

This is going to be epic.

Durp
Jan 6, 2008
I think I get it now.

Yoya posted:

...And just when I thought I was done on Kickstarter. Time to replay chapter 1 to hear some save points spergin' about vidcons.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Calling it now: X114JAM9 is Barack Obama.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Overflight posted:

Calling it now: X114JAM9 is Barack Obama.

More Like Barack O-Jam-A :iamafag:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I'm still not a fan of the hero, but Super Comboman is RIGHT on the cusp of funding and down to the last day. Hopefully, it'll succeed. I'd certainly like to try a demo of it, maybe snag it cheap on a Steam sale, something.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/interabangent/super-comboman-beat-em-up-sticker-action-platformm

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Okay, so I'm now backing Elite, Maia and Sui Generis.

I know there's a good chance Elite will fizzle, but I'm holding out my hopes :smith: I grew up on the Elite games, the merest chance of there being a new one is enough to get all my dollars.

Please, mister Braben, I've been waiting oh so long for a worthy successor of your games. I've tried them all (Ad Astra, Evochron, the X series, you name it, I've tried it, I even tried EVE online for god's sake), and they just don't do it. Give me Elite goddamnit. Just take FFE and slap a new graphics engine on it, that'll be enough for me. No need for that multiplayer poo poo you're droning on about either.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
The fact that Maia, the wonderful Dungeon-Keeper-space-like thing, probably won't make its target, and that the terrible Elite kickstarter probably will, makes me very sad :smith:

Though the fact that a single-player campaign is considered a stretch goal in Maia strikes me as lovely. What else is there to do?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Noreaus posted:

Though the fact that a single-player campaign is considered a stretch goal in Maia strikes me as lovely. What else is there to do?

I spent many, many hours in Dungeon Keeper just chillaxing and training my monsters. I used to just build a "frontier wall" and just relax and build inside it after I knew the maps by heart, then after I was ready, I opened a hole into the tunnels dug by the enemy.

So yeah, with a randomized sandbox mode and enough stuff to do I wouldn't really need a campaign.

cinn
May 13, 2011

Pseudoscorpion posted:

The Distance kickstarter is in its last 5 days, and they just got a $10,000 backer! The game looks rad as hell and they need only $25,000 more!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1857884659/distance-a-next-generation-arcade-racer

my car is also an iPhone

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Yoya posted:

Downloaded Chapter 1 last night because of this announcement. I've been putting this game off for far too long and I'll be sure to check out the Kickstarter for Barkley 2 when it's up.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Yoya posted:

I emailed them and they confirmed that Patrick Chewing will be making an appearance in this game. WHAT'S UP, RYAN?

Backin' this poo poo day one, yo.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

Yoya posted:

We need to make this hit $1,000,000 dollars.

Between this and the upcoming Dreamfall kickstarter, I may end up soon being broke.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Hate to sound like a broken record, but Distance was just funded with three days to go!

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!

Yoya posted:

Day one pledge.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Downloaded Chapter 1 last night because of this announcement. I've been putting this game off for far too long and I'll be sure to check out the Kickstarter for Barkley 2 when it's up.

Be sure to watch Space Jam before you start playing. It's canon.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Hate to sound like a broken record, but Distance was just funded with three days to go!

Good for them. Nitronic Rush was awesome.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Crosscontaminant posted:

A friend of mine has just started an Indiegogo campaign for the game they're working on, Species. (They can't use Kickstarter because they're in Australia.) If you were excited about Spore and disappointed by the final result, you'll probably be interested in it.

One downside - it's flexible funding. I brought up that people on the whole tend to look down on flexible-funding when Jade told me the Indiegogo page was up, and the response Quasar gave was that he didn't choose fixed funding because it locks out a payment mechanism.

I don't know anything about Indiegogoing so someone more knowledgeable than me will need to say whether that's a reasonable objection. If enough people say they won't donate until it changes to fixed funding then I can pass that feedback on and influence his decision.

My inner biologist was infuriated by Spore. Glad to see an evolution simulator done justice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dean of Swing posted:

My inner biologist was infuriated by Spore. Glad to see an evolution simulator done justice.

I really really wish that EA would licence out Spore's creature/procedural animation generator technology. There are so many things you could do with that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I really really wish that EA would licence out Spore's creature/procedural animation generator technology. There are so many things you could do with that.

They made Darkspore with it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I know, and it was used as a content creation tool there. It'd be great for that kind of thing, and would let developers model en masse with ease, but Darkspore didn't really integrate any on-the-fly generation into the game itself.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕sÌ¡cŗeamßiàngÞ ØskÃÂuÌ¢l̨l iÌ¡s yÃÂoáųr oánßlÞy âcomp̛aniÌ¡oÞnÃÂ
Just been turned onto this Kickstarter for an extended edition of "Spud's Quest" on the UK site at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409406442/spuds-quest . If you've never played the original, it's basically a Codemasters "Dizzy" game (ie. a platform game where you walk around carrying a bunch of crap to solve puzzles) that was made during the increasingly distant days when all of the indie games were free, free, free. Not that that stopped me chucking £10 at them though!

I want it. It's got two weeks to go and hasn't made half its goal yet :(

edit: oh yeah here's a link to the freeware game, it's good

sharts fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 15, 2012

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I saw that the other day and thought it looked pretty well done, hope it makes its goal.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

So Strike Suit Zero has just over a day left, and is sitting just short of a stretch goal for a Mac/Linux version. If you like spaceship shooty games it looks pretty good.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I don't really get the hype behind Star Citizen. Sure it's the guy who made Wing Commander, but it looks like it's some kind of space fighter mmo with an offline mode, unless I'm missing something here. All the talk about polygon counts is a bit worrying to say the least. Is it actually gonna be some kind of mmo Privateer? Because that might be cool, but 40 dollars is pushing it, unless there's no monthly fees afterwards.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It will supposedly use a GW2 style system, meaning no subscription fees. Also, it seems very different from standard MMOs, offering stuff like mod support and custom servers. I think it looks promising.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

voltron lion force posted:

It will supposedly use a GW2 style system, meaning no subscription fees. Also, it seems very different from standard MMOs, offering stuff like mod support and custom servers. I think it looks promising.

It's also 2+ years out. The high polygon counts we're talking about today will probably be available on your iPhone 8 or whatever.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Sui Generis' latest update explains combat a bit more, including a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqaRqih7Cuw

And for those who said the character animations were a bit janky, they also said this:

quote:

The inputs for our animations are hand crafted. The animations currently in the game were made by Madoc while he designed the system and tools behind them. Madoc is not an animator, nor a swordsman and he had plenty to do besides making animations! Hiring a professional animator is at the top of our list of priorities and we are already taking some under consideration. The dynamic behaviours and procedural elements of animations are also something we hope to improve significantly so that the characters appear more reactive and sure footed.

In the first part of the video Kieran demonstrates how the controls work. Most of the weapons in our videos are supposed to be heavy, in the first part of this video we decreased the mass of the weapons, sped up the animations and removed some of the worst wobble from them. The animations are still amateurish but hopefully you can see that the worst problems come from the quality of the animations.
I'm even more excited for this now :allears:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

voltron lion force posted:

if you're worried that those numbers are too high or something keep in mind that they're idiots and also they're making a space game where literally the only 3d objects are the ships and maybe a planet. This means making direct comparisons to any game that might possibly render ground is dumb as hell.

Those numbers are doable on a PC and definitely 2 years from now (to say nothing of the fact that they're going to LOD the hell out of poo poo anyways so those numbers are magic fake ones) but I don't think anyone that isn't a drooling simpering idiot will be swayed by polygon numbers. It's kind of laughable to pretend that polygons are a bottleneck in game graphics and I can only assume that it is a throwback to the last time anyone gave a gently caress about Wing Commander, when 3d graphics meant stressing your Pentium CPU and Voodoo GFX was still rolling around in the vas deferens of some hardware engineer.

I think the game they're describing is definitely a pretty easy to achieve project but the way they talk about it makes me question their ability to deliver a quality project.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

I don't really get the hype behind Star Citizen.

PEW PEW! PEW! PEWPEWPEWPEW! FWOOOOOSH......BOOM!

Basically, it's a goddamned space sim, which are pretty rare these days. And I need my hot laser death fix. Plus it looks damed pretty, polyvoxels be damned.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

PEW PEW! PEW! PEWPEWPEWPEW! FWOOOOOSH......BOOM!

Basically, it's a goddamned space sim, which are pretty rare these days. And I need my hot laser death fix. Plus it looks damed pretty, polyvoxels be damned.

I admit, I'd be happy just seeing a new Freelancer-like game with some greater ability to change stuff (mostly by blowing up stations/warships or flooding the market with cheap goods)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Urdnot Fire posted:

Sui Generis' latest update explains combat a bit more, including a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqaRqih7Cuw

And for those who said the character animations were a bit janky, they also said this:
I'm even more excited for this now :allears:

Die By The Theftrim :getin:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Sigma-X posted:

I think the game they're describing is definitely a pretty easy to achieve project but the way they talk about it makes me question their ability to deliver a quality project.

I think the key question is "Has Chris Roberts ever NOT delivered a quality video game?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

macnbc posted:

I think the key question is "Has Chris Roberts ever NOT delivered a quality video game?"

Wing Commander IV, Strike Commander, arguably Freelancer, and if you want to go back far enough, Bad Blood.

More importantly, when Roberts launched Digital Anvil he announced four projects. Two of them were canned, and a third - Freelancer again - turned up three years late without all the promised features.