Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zenintrude posted:

What?

They'd only be "ripping off" themselves.

He's talking about the actual pro controller, which as far as I can tell the only thing it has in common with the 360 controller is they're both glossy black, aside from all controllers having the same among of sticks and buttons.

That snes one is a non official third party one and probably brazenly in violation of Nintendo copyright, probably also a piece of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

He's talking about the actual pro controller, which as far as I can tell the only thing it has in common with the 360 controller is they're both glossy black, aside from all controllers having the same among of sticks and buttons.

They're also the exact same shape, and judging by pictures are even the same size.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TaurusOxford posted:

They're also the exact same shape, and judging by pictures are even the same size.

From a front angle only they're the same shape, the back profile and thickness are very different.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
How did "there's misinformation about the gamepad's weight" inspire this :eng99:

Disappointing Pie posted:

Are they allowed to show off the system menus at this point? I know that the Day one patch makes a lot of things operable when its out. But man I would love a good video just showing off the menu and screens and how everything works.

Have you seen this yet?

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/11/09/wii-u-system-services-summary/

It has some pictures and info about the OS.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 13, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'm talking about the regular pro controller and how It pretty much a 360 controller with the buttons and the right stick swapped. :sigh:

I see... I also doubt that Nintendo will go back to a more "traditional" (read: 360/PS) scheme for their layout because this actually makes a lot of sense: at this point, with where 3D gaming has gone, the primary control scheme is 1 stick for the character's movement, 1 stick for the camera's orientation, and shoulder buttons for any primary interactions (shooting, grenade throwing, etc.)... the d-pad and face buttons have largely been relegated to menu and less time-sensitive interactions, so putting them in a less primary location makes sense (at this point, the PS3 pad had the least sensical orientation, and the less said about its "triggers" the better)

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Looks like the WiiU's might be a little smaller and a little rounder, also forgot to mention that it has a far better D-Pad, but I would imagine that even the NGage had a better dpad than the 360.

also ignore the caption I just Gis'd

zenintrude posted:

I see... I also doubt that Nintendo will go back to a more "traditional" (read: 360/PS) scheme for their layout because this actually makes a lot of sense: at this point, with where 3D gaming has gone, the primary control scheme is 1 stick for the character's movement, 1 stick for the camera's orientation, and shoulder buttons for any primary interactions (shooting, grenade throwing, etc.)... the d-pad and face buttons have largely been relegated to menu and less time-sensitive interactions, so putting them in a less primary location makes sense (at this point, the PS3 pad had the least sensical orientation, and the less said about its "triggers" the better)

I agree that the ps3's stick layout is dumb, this is kind of a personal thing but there are a few games that require that I hold the A or B or whatever button down to sprint and I got rather good at holding the button and also operating the camera only using my right thumb. not a big deal though.

I could see them changing it if enough gamers bitch, after all they changed the way the Wii's classic controller looked from a Snes controller with analog sticks to a more modern style with ps2 style shoulder buttons, and that thing only supported a small handful of games.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 13, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It makes me cringe linking to IGN but they do a comparison on the Wii U to other consoles, controllers and tablets.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2012/11/09/wii-u-comparison-feature

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It makes me cringe linking to IGN but they do a comparison on the Wii U to other consoles, controllers and tablets.

I haven't been to ign in ages since I get most info just from up to the minute updating blogs like Joystiq, but what makes you cringe linking to them?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

I haven't been to ign in ages since I get most info just from up to the minute updating blogs like Joystiq, but what makes you cringe linking to them?

They are one of the most used gaming websites and they do gaming journalism wrong at almost every angle.

Plus their reviews for Nintendo games have been absolutely terrible for years. Cassamassina era included. Reading every review say, "The graphics are good for a Wii game" and then score the graphics down in the final results because, "It doesn't look good compared to other consoles" it makes you want to kill kill kill.

They also give a lot of credence to people thinking Zelda games are just scored high because it's a Zelda game because their reviews do a piss poor job explaining why the game is good for any reason other than, "It's a Zelda game."

They are pretty much the CNN of gaming journalism.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

greatn posted:

Owner: News Corporation.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Some people might find this cool.

Here are the MP3s of all of the new Wii U menu music. Reminds me of the Lost in Translation soundtrack at times.

http://zeldapower.com/index.php/zelda-music/798-wii-u-menu-music.html

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Owner: News Corporation.

Pretty much this. Watch every CoD review. "THIS IS BETTER THAN THE LAST ONE AND EVERYONE SHOULD LOVE IT AND THEY'VE REALLY DONE EVERYTHING TO MAKE IT AMAZING BUY IT NOW"

Can't wait for all the gameplay to start coming out. Want to see the menus and stuff proper.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Some people might find this cool.

Here are the MP3s of all of the new Wii U menu music. Reminds me of the Lost in Translation soundtrack at times.

http://zeldapower.com/index.php/zelda-music/798-wii-u-menu-music.html

haha that is actually pretty cool, reminds me a lot of some kind of OOT era Zelda ice dungeon.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The mii maker part one music I can swear there's a few cords of some Zelda music around the forty second mark

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

How did "there's misinformation about the gamepad's weight" inspire this :eng99:

Have you seen this yet?

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/11/09/wii-u-system-services-summary/

It has some pictures and info about the OS.

3000 Mii storage in Mii Maker? gently caress yeah! Finally enough space to store all my celebrities, Hitlers, and racist caricatures.

Edit: So Wii software cant be bought in the Wii U's eshop, but through the Wii Shop Channel enabled in 'Wii Mode.' So does this mean that you can use real money for Wii U downloads, but are still stuck with points for Wii downloads? Ugh.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 13, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You can tell that dude never had a SNES, because he considers the Pro Controller's face buttons to be "flipped" from the XBox layout.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Supercar Gautier posted:

You can tell that dude never had a SNES, because he considers the Pro Controller's face buttons to be "flipped" from the XBox layout.

He's just talking to the audience who probably consists of a lot of kids for whom the 360 controller is standard and he literally says "this is typical Nintendo tradition".

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Not all WiiU games will be able to be played exclusively on the tablet, correct?

I only have 1 TV in my house, and if all games were playable on the tablet, that would make multi-platform games like Assassins Creed 3 or Black Ops a no-brainier for the WiiU (assuming all other things being equal across platforms.)

Unfortunately, it seems like this isn't the case. Is there a list anywhere of what games can be taken "off tv" and which can't?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

OldSenileGuy posted:

Not all WiiU games will be able to be played exclusively on the tablet, correct?

I only have 1 TV in my house, and if all games were playable on the tablet, that would make multi-platform games like Assassins Creed 3 or Black Ops a no-brainier for the WiiU (assuming all other things being equal across platforms.)

Unfortunately, it seems like this isn't the case. Is there a list anywhere of what games can be taken "off tv" and which can't?

It's the developer's choice. The New Super Mario Bras and Sonic Racing Transformed are two I know of that can be played on the pad exclusively.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Black Ops II can and I think ACIII can as well. I expect every game that doesn't depend on using two screens to have the feature.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, it essentially has to be handled in-game, either as something in the options menu, or by always duplicating the TV screen's image like NSMBU. There's no hardware/firmware means to switch to a one-screen mode.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Black Ops II can and I think ACIII can as well. I expect every game that doesn't depend on using two screens to have the feature.

How the gently caress did your avatar happen?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yeah it's in almost all third party ports. Except Batman for some reason.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Yeah it's in almost all third party ports. Except Batman for some reason.

Batman's the one that will sell the least anyhow. Game's over a year old. It's a loving incredible game, in all ways, but who hasn't played it?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I don't believe I've ever been witness to a live avatar / title changing before

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Katana Gomai posted:

Angry asked a simple question in the CoD thread and after getting trolled by Captain Matchbox, got a new avatar. I'm not pointing fingers or anything though.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Katana Gomai posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=409502899&highlight=#post409502899

I'm not sure. I guess me saying that people should know the gamepad isn't as heavy as it looks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=409502899&highlight=#post409502899

I'm not sure. I guess me saying that people should know the gamepad isn't as heavy as it looks.

Yeah even with all the idiot filters SomethingAwful is not devoid of these people. Did anyone get to read the Bayonetta 2 thread? It was like going through Gamefaqs. No exaggeration. The occasional voice of reason would be drowned out by everyone shouting "Nintendo will probably gently caress it up because they're for gay kids."

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Batman's the one that will sell the least anyhow. Game's over a year old. It's a loving incredible game, in all ways, but who hasn't played it?

Totally getting it because I never finished it and I loved that game.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

OldSenileGuy posted:

Some games are going to need the tablet and TV at the same time (think of the throwing stars thing in Ninja Gaiden). Something like that would literally not be able to be streamed to the controller (for obvious reasons). I would like a list too, though!

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
First review up at IGN. NG3: RE gets a 7.6

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/13/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-review

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
And a 5.5 at Destructoid.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I know it's the fault of the game and not the system itself, but these two snippets are really discouraging and will probably strengthen some of the base fears people have about the Wii U:

IGN posted:

Speaking of controllers, Razor’s Edge might seem like a $60 game, but you should really budget another $50 on top of that, as a Pro Controller is practically (but not technically) required here. While the system’s signature Wii U Gamepad is plenty ergonomic, it’s simply not a good fit, literally, for the kind of action Ninja Gaiden 3 throws at you.

Visually, Ninja Gaiden 3 is hardly going to make your PS3 and Xbox-owning friends envious. In fact, Razor’s Edge is arguably uglier than its cousins, with bland textures and a bad case of the “jaggies” combining to create a muddy look that would’ve been called out seven years ago during the Xbox 360’s launch. Still, the framerate stays (mostly) smooth, which is crucial for a game like this.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I don't think any of us expected NG to be that great though. I was out and about and figured I'd stop by Gamestop to see if I could pay off/pick up AC3 for Wii U and sure as hell I was able to. Wasn't going to be able to get back over to Gamestop again until Sunday so it was just easier for me to pay it off and pick it up now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

I know it's the fault of the game and not the system itself, but these two snippets are really discouraging and will probably strengthen some of the base fears people have about the Wii U:
I'm having a hard time believing this, simply because the controller layout is identical for both the gamepad and the pro controller. Your hands won't be any more or less taxed. I've held the thing, it's light as gently caress. No more awkward than the old Duke controller, anyway.

e: Even Destructoid says this:

quote:

The GamePad is surprisingly comfortable and convenient to wield in one's button mashing endeavors. The wider play surface is appreciated for a game that encourages thumb cramps so enthusiastically, moreso than the optional Pro Controller input. While many may feel that Nintendo's optional peripheral is the preferred way to play Ninja Gaiden, the cramped design of that particular controller is nowhere near as usable as the spacious layout on the Pad. I'd recommend sticking with the Wii U's prime controller if you insist on playing this at all.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 13, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Who gives a gently caress about people's "base fears", either the console looks appealing to them somewhere between now and, say, 2017 or it doesn't. Whether or not that's the case is not going to hinge on a single review of a single game.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Amazing what people care to spend ten bucks for.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 13, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Akileese posted:

I don't think any of us expected NG to be that great though. I was out and about and figured I'd stop by Gamestop to see if I could pay off/pick up AC3 for Wii U and sure as hell I was able to. Wasn't going to be able to get back over to Gamestop again until Sunday so it was just easier for me to pay it off and pick it up now.

I dunno, I did see some posts around here saying that Ninja Gaiden 3 was definitely going to be fixed by this update.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

Amazing what people care to spend ten bucks for.

See you say that, then you realise it's in a Black Ops II thread.

On topic it seems a shame that NG:RE's not going to be good enough to bring the series back from whatever the hell 3 was, at least 2 still exists, plus with Bayonetta 2 on the horizon I can hold out on my style-fighting-combo game things. Plus Revengeance is nearly here, wonder if it'll be on the U.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Someone on NeoGAF got NintendoLand and the box says the only Network integration is Miiverse, so no online play for that game.

I mean honestly I'd be shocked if any Nintendo-published game had online play. Not until the next Smash Bros/Mario Kart, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Not that i'm saying it's good anyway but doesn't Jim Sterling pretty much poo poo on just about everything?

• Locked thread