Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Teenage me was loving convinced that long hair would look good on me (I'm a dude). Problem was that I have sorta half-curly hair, so in the end I walked around looking like Louis XIV fallen on hard times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In highschool, my entire group of friends referred to one another by the name of Wolf's Rain characters. I never actually saw the show but I went with it. We'd also howl out of the car window. I'm sorry to everyone.

BullProofMonk
Dec 8, 2004

PURPLE RAIN!!!!!!!
My friends and I used to go out in the woods, and pretend we were Robin Hood and his Merry Men. I lived about 5 miles away from the nearest paved road, so the woodland area was quite large. I guess you could have called it LARPing, but none of us even had a clue what that was in the late 80's. I lived the first 2 years of my life in this rural area, without electricity or running water. Nothing builds character like hauling 5 gallon buckets of water you pumped from a well to sit on a woodstove for a hot bath.

We made our own bows and arrows, to have archery contests. We saved aluminum cans to smelt swords and daggers.

We made a tree fortress that spanned multiple trees, and made our own rope ladders so no one else could get in. We spent many a night camped in the treetops with nothing but sleeping bags, and a coleman lantern.

I learned pretty much everything we did from a series of survival books I got for my birthday at around age 10. We got the ideas for our adventures from watching Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves starring Kevin Costner.

It's pretty nerdy, but all the climbing, running, and outdoor activity made us all very fit. People who are physically fit are typically seen as attractive, and once we started paying attention to the girls who were taking an interest in us, our adventures ended.

BullProofMonk fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 13, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DicktheCat posted:

You know, because Birdo is one of the weirdest loving characters in the games. (What is that thing on her face? A mouth? A vagina? It shoots eggs, dammit!)

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

When my friend and I went on vacations with his family back in the late 90s, both of us would bring our tower PCs and CRT monitors and play video games for most of the day.

party hat
Apr 22, 2010
Oh, I don't know how spergy this is, but my cousins and I used to shout out the windows stupid news and weather reports, thinking we could fool the neighbourhood into thinking it was a radio station. We also used to put on puppet shows out the rear view window when our folks were driving us somewhere.

To be fair, we were children.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mowglis Haircut posted:

I think most of my posts here are in the Warhammer books thread.

That's nothing, I created the Warhammer books thread :negative:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I used to wear a trench coat and big boots, this surprisingly got me laid when I posted shirtless pictures on a gaming forum and met up with my first boyfriend. I've thankfully stopped being a pretentious goth but I've still got the silly long hair.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BullProofMonk posted:

My friends and I used to go out in the woods, and pretend we were Robin Hood and his Merry Men. I lived about 5 miles away from the nearest paved road, so the woodland area was quite large. I guess you could have called it LARPing, but none of us even had a clue what that was in the late 80's. I lived the first 2 years of my life in this rural area, without electricity or running water. Nothing builds character like hauling 5 gallon buckets of water you pumped from a well to sit on a woodstove for a hot bath.

We made our own bows and arrows, to have archery contests. We saved aluminum cans to smelt swords and daggers.

We made a tree fortress that spanned multiple trees, and made our own rope ladders so no one else could get in. We spent many a night camped in the treetops with nothing but sleeping bags, and a coleman lantern.

I learned pretty much everything we did from a series of survival books I got for my birthday at around age 10. We got the ideas for our adventures from watching Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves starring Kevin Costner.

It's pretty nerdy, but all the climbing, running, and outdoor activity made us all very fit. People who are physically fit are typically seen as attractive, and once we started paying attention to the girls who were taking an interest in us, our adventures ended.
That's not nerdy, that's awesome!

I was an active member of my high school's debating and public speaking teams.

night_chrono
Dec 10, 2008
I spent 10 minutes yelling at best buy employee's on how stupid it was to have a display of 20+ two button mice, but no display of their gaming mice.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
Not mine, exactly, but once when I was cruising GBS in my school's library some random neckbeard came up behind me and went, "YOU'RE A GOON?!" right in my loving ear and then dissa-goddamn-ppeared off to some other part of the computer lab. Just say hi, goons, for gently caress's sake.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
I posted on a Naruto forum. It was only once, but still.

Sperg Some More
Nov 11, 2012

therattle posted:

I was an active member of my high school's debating and public speaking teams.

Public speaking is actually useful in life.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
For a short time around 1999-2000 I ran a website devoted to Gundam Wing fanfiction, specifically Nine Inch Nails songfic. I wrote all but maybe one of the items on this website. I was so lonely :negative:

I play a lot of Fallout. Until very recently playing as an "evil" character made me extremely uncomfortable. As in, I would feel like a bad person IRL if I <Lie>d to a character. In one F3 playthrough I blew up Megaton and had to quit and start a new game because I felt so awful.

I have a friend or two with whom I speak almost exclusively in Sifl & Olly quotes.

I might need to get some medication or something, goddamn.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

McCloud24 posted:

Not mine, exactly, but once when I was cruising GBS in my school's library some random neckbeard came up behind me and went, "YOU'RE A GOON?!" right in my loving ear and then dissa-goddamn-ppeared off to some other part of the computer lab. Just say hi, goons, for gently caress's sake.

He might have been a redditor or some other non-goon that hated SA that couldn't think of an :iceburn: so he scuttled off.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
In junior high I was absolutely fascinated by the Forgotten Realms DND setting that I tried to collect as much fiction and game setting stuff as I could from 3rd edition onward. Once I filled a couple of shelves I gave up at the immensity of the project.

Then I got a girlfriend and stopped caring about that poo poo pardoning the occasional game we played with friends.

Currently I have a blog that just reposts painted space marines, but that's really not that bad in contrast with other things. And I am guilty of rocking the trench back in 9th grade. In my defense, I only wore it when it rained.

Disgusting LARP
Nov 13, 2012
In highschool I wore a top hat, a coat that was several sizes too large and would constantly quote Bismarck, of all people.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Giggily posted:

gently caress this thread is bringing back terrible memories. We loving told our teachers we were the north korean midget vampire mafia and pretended that we were goddamn power rangers.

It's okay, buddy, there's no shame here. No shame.

e: I have several fedoras left over from high school. To my credit, I am a girl, and would often wear nice clothing with them (sport coats, ect.) because my mother and grandmother were both legal secretaries who knew better than to let me wear them with jeans and a dragonforce t-shirt.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
A girl literally told me she wants to suck my dick and I answered "oh really" :suicide:

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Chicken McNobody posted:

I play a lot of Fallout. Until very recently playing as an "evil" character made me extremely uncomfortable. As in, I would feel like a bad person IRL if I <Lie>d to a character. In one F3 playthrough I blew up Megaton and had to quit and start a new game because I felt so awful.

I actually still have trouble playing "evil" characters in any RPG because of this reason. I like to comfort myself by pretending that this is due my deep sense of compassion for my fellow man, and not my taking games too seriously.

Paint-Drinking Pete
Apr 9, 2009
I've turned down every girl who has shown interest in me because I assumed they were all plotting to make fun of me. I still feel like I inherently creep out women just due to my natural sperginess and ugly.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

• I have turned down sex to play computer games.
  • At school I ran the D&D club.
  • I let my mother dress me.
  • I have been to a LOT of goonmeets

On the plus side

• I've never been into anime.
  • I've learned to recognise that 'Oh what the gently caress is this nerd talking about' look on peoples faces and change the subject. I never talk about sci-fi, but sometimes I get a bit overly excited about computer related things.
  • I now dress myself and sometimes I even look pretty stylish (apparently)
  • I didn't turn down sex every time. Just when the computer game was really good

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I once wore a Happy Noodle Boy shirt to school. Not because I was a goth, but because I thought Jhonen Vasquez was hilarious. I also did a Powerpoint presentation on Cowboy Bebop. About halfway through I realized what a horrible mistake I had made.

AOKay
Oct 22, 2010

You'll pet me sooner or later. They all do.
My (at that point) very insular group of friends and I spent most of our middle school years watching anime. A lot of anime. Particularly the anime with a lot of pretty, androgynous boys. We would "lay claim" to our ~*animu pretty bishounen*~ of choice and then... well, didn't do much else. I guess for a bunch of girls who, for the first time, are realizing that the opposite sex does not in fact have cooties, daydreaming about animated boys was a lot less intimidating then approaching the actual thing.

I'm happy to announce that we got over that phase just before getting into high school and that we still look back at that time and laugh. Oh, puberty.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
I skipped my first High School prom & ditched my date at the last minute to play in a "professional" Magic: The Gathering tournament in Germany.

Told her & friends that there was a death in the family as the excuse.

Totally worth it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Disgusting LARP posted:

In highschool I wore a top hat, a coat that was several sizes too large and would constantly quote Bismarck, of all people.
That's absolutely hilarious. Why Bismarck of all people, as you say?

DicktheCat posted:

It's okay, buddy, there's no shame here. No shame.

e: I have several fedoras left over from high school. To my credit, I am a girl, and would often wear nice clothing with them (sport coats, ect.) because my mother and grandmother were both legal secretaries who knew better than to let me wear them with jeans and a dragonforce t-shirt.

That's not nerdy either. Say, you, uh, wouldn't happen to have any pics of you wearing your hat to hand, would you?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Perestroika posted:

Teenage me was loving convinced that long hair would look good on me (I'm a dude). Problem was that I have sorta half-curly hair, so in the end I walked around looking like Louis XIV fallen on hard times.

This is me right now. I keep getting annoyed with it and almost deciding to chop it, then reconsidering at the last moment. I figure this is the last time I will ever have it this long, so might as well keep it for a while. On the upside, mine isn't curly enough that it's a problem pulled in a ponytail (warrior's wolf tail), and assuming I have just brushed it, it looks boss when it's let down. However if I have not just brushed it and let it down, I look like a hobo. Also it's just generally more trouble than it's worth. Drying it takes longer, I have to keep bands on me or moderately windy weather makes me look like a loving nightmare, I have actually woken myself up by laying on it and turning over such that it gets pulled, it sheds everywhere and gets all over everything regardless of how much I brush, and its generally just a minor pain in the rear end that I don't need.

I have also had a duster since high school. It's not a trenchcoat, but it looks a lot like one. Dusters are made for riding, and I rode so at least I have an excuse. An incredibly useful garment if you spend a lot of time outside. They are made from oilcloth, so they are waterproof and impervious to minor cuts, scrapes, and so forth. The shoulder piece can be unbound from the arms and used as an impromptu hood! I rarely wear it anymore, unless I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rained on.

Icing on the cake: I wear fedoras. I have three. Two are my grandfather's. Made of a very thick woolen material in a houndstooth pattern. Very retro-looking, so exactly what you think of when you imagine some young douche trying to pull off an old man hat. I started wearing them on the way back from said grandfather's funeral, as I wore one and held the other on the flight for lack of a safe place to store them. I got insane amounts of compliments on the hats and was tickled pink. I'd already halfway resolved to wear the gently caress out of those hats then or I wouldn't have brought them back in the first place, but the compliments gave me the balls to follow through. I'm glad I did, people seem to love them, and I'm also reminded of my grandfather every day.

So yeah, I'm a huge loving nerd and you can tell in one very brief glance. Whatever. I'd rather be a walking signpost than to be stuck in comformityland, afraid to express myself in the ways that amuse me.

Plus side: I have often been complimented on how well I understand when to stop sperging. I am apparently awesome at this for a nerd and even pretty good for a human being! All you have to do is watch for when their eyes glaze over. Next time, aim to get that same basic point across in twenty fewer words. Done.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 13, 2012

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
When I was 9 or 10 and finished DragonLance Legends, I cried when Raistlin died. :frogc00l:

I also LARPed at that time.

I got better.

e:

Perestroika posted:

If the answer to "are you Buzz Osborne?" is "no", just cut it off.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 13, 2012

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I cried and punched my older sister when she deleted my 300+ hour save file on my Pokemon cartridge.

When I was in 6th grade, me and my friends would read random mangas together, with each person reading a different character's speech bubbles. I wasn't even into anime, I just wanted to be part of the group.

I play a lot of Dwarf Fortress.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

I own a fedora. I never wear it, though, since the internet has taught me it's some sort of a federal offense (unless you're 60, then it instantly turns cool).

I also bought the X-Wing Miniatures Game but nobody wants to play with me since board games are apparently for babies and I should grow up.

merricat blackwood
May 10, 2009
I still own a black leather trenchcoat...

Back in high school, I belonged to a loosely knit fandom of 'RollerGirls' (ask your moms and grandmoms, kids...) and dressed accordingly. Tartan hi-water pants and rainbow suspenders.

I swear I invented furry fanfiction by drawing a picture of said 'Rollers' as scottie dogs in 1977.

Then I moved to NYC and discovered a little place down in the Bowery called CBGB's and I got better...

One more... if drunk enough, I will still write horrible 'erotic' fan fic involving Peter Steele (Type O Neg) and an idealized version of myself, usually written like an overblown Harlequin historical romance novel. The last time I did this was two weeks ago. Ok, I'm lying. One beer is not 'drunk enough'. It's just something I do every once in a while...

Please don't hate me...

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

In college, I was playing a fantasy MUD and a goddess/admin broadcast a message asking "Who lives near Chicago? I need to get laid." I responded that I was an hour away. 2 minutes later she was on her way and I was wondering what the hell just happened. I wanted to keep playing the game so I sent my roommate to meet her instead. They dated a while and ended up living together for three years.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

40-Degree Day posted:

I cried and punched my older sister when she deleted my 300+ hour save file on my Pokemon cartridge.

This is legal in every jurisdiction.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

In high school, I was part of an "e-Fed" and was semi-serious about it. For those who don't know what that is, it's basically a forum where you role play as a professional wrestler (either a famous one or one you created yourself) and the guy running it chooses the winner based on how well you RPed. I won matches, I won championships, I won entire events. I mean, I played D&D in college and still try to do things in Fallout/TES "like my character would" but I only feel shame over pretending to be a professional wrestler online.

Good god drat that was painful to write but now at least the healing can begin.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Pick posted:

This is legal in every jurisdiction.

I remember trying to punch her over and over while she kept me away from her using her superior arm length. She just kept saying "What's the big deal? It was only a game file!"

I didn't talk to her for days.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bagrada posted:

In college, I was playing a fantasy MUD and a goddess/admin broadcast a message asking "Who lives near Chicago? I need to get laid." I responded that I was an hour away. 2 minutes later she was on her way and I was wondering what the hell just happened. I wanted to keep playing the game so I sent my roommate to meet her instead. They dated a while and ended up living together for three years.

I can only imagine there were some Cyrano de Bergerac-esque scenes where you had to coach your roommate on the finer points of the MUD in case she asked questions about it.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Me and a girl got really drunk at her apartment and she wanted me to put some music on so I set my zune to random and the remastered Conan The Barbarian theme came on (Anvil of Crom??). And I spent about 10 minutes explaining why the movie is so sweet and why Conan is great. Did gently caress and later watch Conan with her on blu-ray so not that bad imo.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I have over 1000 hours in TF2. :negative:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I once spent hours on kirby's pinball for Game Boy, getting a ridiculous high score, and then entered my name as "FuckYou!!!!" My sister still has the cart and the high score is still there.

I also used a pencil and paper to plan a "perfect" materia combo to defeat emerald and ruby weapon in FF7. I then used my sister's save file to do so, then beat the game. She found out later and told me I ruined the game for her. :(

Back in 2000, the pokemon tcg was a thing, and my sister and her husband were really into it. We started playing at a league hosted by the local toys r us and were stomping the poor kids who would build a deck with their favorite pokemon and like, no energy or something. Eventually a few other nerdy parents, myself and my sister ended up running the league ourselves and having a blast. That Halloween, I dressed up as James, my sister was Jesse, and her husband was giovanni. We put together themed decks and the kids got to play us for fun and they loved the hell out of it. Good times. It eventually culminated with other less nerdy parents helping us out (since they were treating the league as Saturday daycare essentially) and making custom "stadium" cards to play vs the kids. We gave special prizes out and the kids went nuts for it. We even forced oversight on all card trading, so 7 year olds weren't being ripped off by teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
In college I had the mech warrior start up sound for my laptop. You know the one. Engines on line, sensors online, weapons on line. beep boop beep. I always make sure to have it on mute for school. welp during on biology lecture it was not on mute.

In one of those classes they were talking about how plants are entire little ecosystems to them self and had what we could even think of as engines. Some where in the archives there is a long rant in the star trek thread down in TVIV about how "Like dude what if there really was like living ships man and they had like their own engines and propulsion and could like live in space dude" I remember it was one those future posts on the front page.

• Locked thread