Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

SoCalism posted:

I almost cried when The Sims Online was shut down. I was into that poo poo.

I got really mad one time when someone who didn't know how to play the pizza minigame screwed it up for the rest of us. Like, have my Sim walk around the house yelling at them mad, and that just ain't right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I spent most of my time in high school trying to come up with my own really dumb idea for a sci-fi opus video game. I was legitimately convinced that one day, I was going to be some famous game designer without having any understanding of what goes into actually making a video game. In short, I was the epitome of an "ideas guy".

I have so many terrible drawings from back then. Kinda wanna post some of them.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

I spent most of my time in high school trying to come up with my own really dumb idea for a sci-fi opus video game. I was legitimately convinced that one day, I was going to be some famous game designer without having any understanding of what goes into actually making a video game. In short, I was the epitome of an "ideas guy".

I have so many terrible drawings from back then. Kinda wanna post some of them.

Do it. I'll go get some of my old poems and we can be spergy together.

Fuckstick McNally
Feb 22, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Final year of high school I broke up with my girlfriend of 6-8 months, over the phone, while camping an item in Everquest. She lived 20-30 minutes away in another district and I had a job so we'd only see each other on the weekend. I would regularly tell her I was too tired to hang out because I was trying to raid plane of fear/hate and would rather do that than get drunk and have sex. She was actually pretty cool but... priorities.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
I post on this forum.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
This is incredibly embarrassing, and I've never actually mentioned this before. To anyone.

Since I was thirteen, I've been creating and adding onto an increasingly elaborate and complicated fictional world, set at a roughly modern technological level. The reference work for this world is over five hundred and thirty pages long, detailing each ruler, prime minister, province, political movement, member of peerage, and event that has come up, with elaborating articles tying them together.

The "country" on which I've lavished a good deal of my focus has a legal system of stare decisis like that of Great Britain and the United States - I currently have a hundred and thirty pages of case law regarding that legal system alone, including landmark cases establishing the power of the independent judiciary, limits on the executive, monarchical powers, and .

The language of this nation has been described in a grammar focused on the prestige dialect of the economic and cultural capital of the nation. However, morphological, lexical, and phonetic features from major regional dialects and archaic, historical forms have also been included.

I've recorded the results of the last twelve major elections for each of the provinces of this nation, each of which have different electoral patterns. The rise and fall of governments, prime ministers, cabinets, everything.

I must have spent countless hours literally playing make believe in these word documents, taking down all of this stuff and elaborating on it and making it more and more complex and watching it develop. (Actually it's pretty cool how it's pretty organically shifted from a tyrannical monarchy to a crumbling collection of states to an absolute monarchy to a pseudo-British constitutional monarchy, I don't care what you say. :colbert:)

I'm almost twenty four years old and I'm still doing this, God help me. :negative:

Nombres fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 14, 2012

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I was a nerd and very shy around women until my tiwenties. Never kissed a girl until I was 21. The worst story I have was one night I was at a bar with an incredibly hot class mate. She was too drunk to walk home, so I literally carried her home a mile in the snow. I was too drunk to drive, so I asked her if I could sleep on her couch. She said it was way too cold downstairs, and that I should sleep in bed with her. I replied that I would be fine on the couch. When I woke up th next morning, I hated myself. I got way beter with women, now I am happily married with children. So there is hope for all of us.

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 14, 2012

community ham boil
Nov 6, 2012

the universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

Radio Talmudist posted:

I also tried to learn elfish.

Tolkien was a professor of languages and literature at Oxford and actually developed working grammars and vocabularies for many of the languages featured in LOTR. The most exhaustively documented was Quenya, tongue of the elves. I had managed to find a LOTR lingustic fansite and printed out a 50 page lesson plan for mastering the language & culture of a non-existent fantasy race.

My nerdiest thing is Tolkien, too. I knew an inordinate amount of things about that world. I used to know the names of most or all of the vala and what they ruled over. The different types of Elves. I also tried to learn Elvish, but I chose Sindarin, as I thought that was the more well-documented language. I still remember some of the vocabulary, and know what a lot of the names in the books mean as a result. Also I know that Tolkien had some rationale behind not using the word elfish, dwarfish, etc. It's always elvish when you are talking Tolkien. :spergin:

Someone in my family bought Lord of the Rings trivial pursuit after the movies came out, and no one will play it with me because I win every time. My boyfriend and I split the deck of cards in half, so that each of us have some and we used to randomly pull one out from time to time to ask the other. I haven't missed a question yet, and it's been a few years since I've read any of the books, so I'm afraid useless knowledge of a fictional world will be in my brain for the rest of my life.

I used to study a list of scrabble-acceptable q-without-u words and two letter words in order to do better at the game.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

As a teacher's assistant, I once created a cardboard robot suit out of discarded science fair boards.

Like others, I also skipped senior prom for a LAN party. No regrets.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In HighSchool I skipped a class to meet a friend who was on his lunch period in order to play Magic: the Gathering. I was dragged to detention, where I had to write "I will not skip class" over and over... but i did it very meticulously in a different font each time.

I didn't really accept my sexuality until I was in my early twenties because I perceived my self as too ugly and awkward to be gay.. As you know from TV and movies that ALL gay men are socially adept, very handsome, fashionable and semi-wealthy (at least in the 90's and 2000's.).

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
Ugh gently caress you guys are reminding me how many times I've skipped sex and dates for magic and computer games. And how little I regret doing it.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

Nombres posted:

:words:
I'm almost twenty four years old and I'm still doing this, God help me. :negative:

Maybe write a book? And earn some money for all your lost time.

IHatePugs posted:

Ugh gently caress you guys are reminding me how many times I've skipped sex and dates for magic and computer games. And how little I regret doing it.

Yeah, I have the same feeling - normal problem I would say. But I can't help but marvel and be disgusted with all the manga fetishes. What the gently caress goons?

Circuitjerky
Mar 17, 2006
I met a group of my friends through my step brother who worked at Best Buy in the Geek Squad. The first time hanging out with them we went to a restaurant and I wore headphones the whole time.

Played FFXI and called people traitors when they stopped playing to play WoW. Then went and quit to play WoW myself.

And of course the normal cancelling my social life for various video games. Then I found weed and its been k-rad since.

Daffodil Lament
Dec 29, 2008
MST3K marathons with my best friend, and we would sculpt monsters with professional-grade clay in her dad's studio. (He is a fantasy artist!)

I don't know if it's really nerdy, but when I was about 3, my mom used to ask me "What does BOB require"? to which I would reply, "A human host".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Death by Cranes posted:

Yeah, I have the same feeling - normal problem I would say. But I can't help but marvel and be disgusted with all the manga fetishes. What the gently caress goons?

Some manga are really cool and fun to read stories? I dunno, why do people have long boxes full of comic books?

Tuluene
Apr 23, 2005

Terrific!
Surprisingly I wasn't a nerd until I got out of high school. D&D, reading comics, playing video games all came after I went through being cool. For a while I would say "I'm not a geek, I just like geeky things", but eventually just had to embrace my geekiness. Turns out being geeky is much more fun.

I did once go on a date with this guy who took me out to eat with his friends and they talked non stop about souped up cars :stare: and then back to his place where we watched some anime movie. I went over a couple days later and he made me watch some anime show with no English subtitles while he cracked up laughing (he spoke no Japanese, just thought the faces were hilarious). To this day I can't stand 99% of anime.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
A short while ago ANN had a Rose of Versailles haiku contest, with free dvds as the prize.

I wrote something like 54 poems, so I'm gonna be super pissed if none of them win.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Back when Pokémon had just become a thing me and a friend of mine would battle almost every lunch time. Then the school banned Gameboys/trading cards etc.

So instead of actual battling, we'd memorised our teams, type effectiveness, movesets and could estimate damage well enough that we'd just imaginary-battle without the game, complete with mimicking all of the lovely 8-bit sound effects and attack animations. Every lunch time and recess, right up until the bell rang.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Fedoras? Pfft. I own a fez. I have enough sense to not wear it on the street, though.

It was a serious mission of mine for a while (only half-serious now, because I realised how insanely impossible it was) to see every Sherlock Holmes film adaptation I could get my hands on. All of them. Even the bad ones. Even the obscure made-for-television ones.

Used to post terrible original and fanfiction on the internet when I was in high school. Slash fanfiction, some of it. Terrible slash fanfiction. Then my grandparents somehow found the website and read it. In another family that would have been a very bad thing. In my case... it led to my grandparents trying to encourage me to come out of the closet. Which was weird.

My mother rented all three LoTR movies five or six years back, and she watched them in twenty minute segments in between doing other things, and I could not do anything while she was watching because I was apparently the Authority On Tolkein because my family knows how spergy I am and it was constantly "Who's that? Where are they going and why? What's that? Wait, I thought that guy died." Eventually she proclaimed to me that she was pretty sure Frodo and Sam were loving. Thanks, Mom.

This list could get very long.

Omanko
Oct 9, 2012
When I was about eight or nine, my friend convinced me that she and I were Pokemon, with magical Pokemon powers that let us see invisible Pokemon frolicking around us. I never saw them, but I thought she did so I pretended I did too. I wasn't even a cool Pokemon. I was Eevee. :geno:

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

BullProofMonk posted:

My friends and I used to go out in the woods, and pretend we were Robin Hood and his Merry Men. I lived about 5 miles away from the nearest paved road, so the woodland area was quite large. I guess you could have called it LARPing, but none of us even had a clue what that was in the late 80's. I lived the first 2 years of my life in this rural area, without electricity or running water. Nothing builds character like hauling 5 gallon buckets of water you pumped from a well to sit on a woodstove for a hot bath.

We made our own bows and arrows, to have archery contests. We saved aluminum cans to smelt swords and daggers.

We made a tree fortress that spanned multiple trees, and made our own rope ladders so no one else could get in. We spent many a night camped in the treetops with nothing but sleeping bags, and a coleman lantern.

I learned pretty much everything we did from a series of survival books I got for my birthday at around age 10. We got the ideas for our adventures from watching Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves starring Kevin Costner.

It's pretty nerdy, but all the climbing, running, and outdoor activity made us all very fit. People who are physically fit are typically seen as attractive, and once we started paying attention to the girls who were taking an interest in us, our adventures ended.

This isn't nerdy at all. What do you think children did for fun before TVs?

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
I skipped out on prom to play Starcraft with my long-distance/internet boyfriend. :negative:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Whenever I get into a game, I memorize whatever relevant data I can to get ahead. When I was 8 I memorized every Pokémon's stats. When I was 13 I memorized the stats of every creature and common combination in the RTS Impossible Creatures. Three years ago I memorized all the stats in Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 and studied changes in the music to help predict zombie attacks.

Now I'm 19 and my current kick is Magic: The Gathering; I can quote thousands of cards verbatim. I look at everyone else's posts in this thread about Magic and I think they're stupid for thinking it's a really nerdy thing. Except Abey, who jilted his prom date to play in a professional Magic tournament. I envy that.

When I was 17 I got offered a job writing for a video game magazine, but I couldn't do it because I was and am too nervous and socially awkward to handle writing articles that people would read.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
In middle school I owned a polyester dragonball z dress shirt.

Don't worry though I balanced it out with some sweet jnco jean shorts.

I let my friend play my pokemon red cart for a while and when I got it back he had evolved my pikachu. I cried about it because pikachu is not supposed to evolve.

The last bit of insane nerdiness I got involved in was my 200 hour save from final fantasy 12. I have not touched it since 2009.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Chamale posted:

Now I'm 19 and my current kick is Magic: The Gathering; I can quote thousands of cards verbatim. I look at everyone else's posts in this thread about Magic and I think they're stupid for thinking it's a really nerdy thing. Except Abey, who jilted his prom date to play in a professional Magic tournament. I envy that.

When I was 17 I got offered a job writing for a video game magazine, but I couldn't do it because I was and am too nervous and socially awkward to handle writing articles that people would read.

I look at everyone's posts in this thread about turning down writing jobs due to being socially awkward and think they're stupid

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Girl i liked invited me over to her house when I was 13. Spent the entire time playing The Sims on her computer.

Sergeant Slippyfist
Oct 18, 2009
I used to LARP. I used to LARP, then tell non LARPers how awesome LARPing is. At length.

Sergeant Slippyfist fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 14, 2012

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

When I was maybe 10-12 I would read encyclopedias and try to impress my friends, girls and random people by telling them about things. Most of the time they would just pretend I wasn't there. I also read a thesaurus on a regular basis so I could get the ladies moist with my college words.

When I'd get into an argument as a kid and things escalated, rather than fighting I would argue how I would win the fight and would cite made-up techniques and video game physics. For some reason I thought this was better than "hey I'm twice your size."

I turned down a date with a very attractive girl because I had a Counter-Strike match that night. I convinced myself that she was out of my league so nothing was going to happen, anyway.

I asked a co-worker out via email mostly as a joke because I didn't think she'd say yes. I told her my reading team canceled on me and I asked her if she could come over and read with me because I really want to get through The Last of the Mohicans. She actually said yes and I requested a rain check because a bunch of my nerd friends were coming over for a LAN party.

And I've turned down a few drunk booty calls to play WoW arena.

edit:
In high school I really liked this girl and instead of doing conventional things like talking to her, I invaded her privacy and aired some of her dirty laundry so my rear end in a top hat buddies would think I was cool. I logged a couple AIM pranks with her, and I tricked her into installing a RAT which I used to grab a couple webcam stills and logged conversations she had with her friends. All of this went up on my website that had AIM pranks with other classmates, which quickly spread around because of a rather embarrassing conversation I logged with someone else. I felt very bad about this and I started talking to her, being all bullshit white knight and promising to track down the nefarious hacker. Unfortunately the aforementioned rear end in a top hat buddies started calling me by my online alias out of respect for my l33t skillz and my cover was blown. *checks thesaurus for synonym of awkward*

asciidic fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 14, 2012

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

In 9th grade, I wore a Pokemon shirt that was entirely too tight for me.
In 10th grade, in ceramics class, I made a 6" chocobo figurine.
:smithicide:

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I spent a couple of years of my childhood programming computer games with a friend and some art designer I only knew over the phone.
We even managed to finish an alpha version of our top down scroller space shooter (story heavy) and an angelfire website.
Then we discovered alcohol and parties (Germany, so that means 14-15).

Last year I discovered that it is still handed around on those freeware sites. Blew my mind.

Strange thing is, nothing has come of it. I have not pursued it in any way and have not profited from it by making it a career or whatever. I don't do anything with computers at all. I was decent at it for my age but I just... I dunno. I guess I miss it at times, because I miss creating things.

I am just a regular dude that for some unexplainable reason knows how to code. Because I don't explain it if it ever comes up. In fact there are times when I play dumb, because on the inside I am still that gigantic loving nerd who programs computta games.

Edit: It will probably come back when I am a burnt out mid 40 frustrated mid management shithead or whatever.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 14, 2012

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!
I made embarrassing let's play videos on this site instead of going outside. :c00lbert:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Boner Slam posted:

I spent a couple of years of my childhood programming computer games with a friend and some art designer I only knew over the phone.
We even managed to finish an alpha version of our top down scroller space shooter (story heavy) and an angelfire website.
Then we discovered alcohol and parties (Germany, so that means 14-15).

Last year I discovered that it is still handed around on those freeware sites. Blew my mind.

Strange thing is, nothing has come of it. I have not pursued it in any way and have not profited from it by making it a career or whatever. I don't do anything with computers at all. I was decent at it for my age but I just... I dunno. I guess I miss it at times, because I miss creating things.

I am just a regular dude that for some unexplainable reason knows how to code. Because I don't explain it if it ever comes up. In fact there are times when I play dumb, because on the inside I am still that gigantic loving nerd who programs computta games.

Edit: It will probably come back when I am a burnt out mid 40 frustrated mid management shithead or whatever.

Can you give me a link to it?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Bought a "Licensed Chocobo Inbreeder" shirt from vgcats when I was about... 16 or 17? I would wear it to school. It's probably still around somewhere.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

IHatePugs posted:

I look at everyone's posts in this thread about turning down writing jobs due to being socially awkward and think they're stupid

I know it's stupid, but I was just unable to write something that would get published in a big magazine. There was a time when I was really nervous about posting on the forums because I just didn't like having other people read my writing.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

elmer fud posted:

Can you give me a link to it?
Sadly, no

I found an early alpha version on two sites in German
http://www.spieleportal.de/gratisgames/gratisgame_anzeigen.php?id=1702
http://ww.gratis-spiele.de/details.php?id=36461
you can see the little picture and the "review", but everything seems to be offline. It was added to the site in 2002 but we made it earlier.

In fact in this version we still didn't have any checking for processor speed so it would run incredibly quick today.
I remember that we had a better version out with a level file system that would read some kind of, I guess you could call it proto XML file, it had background fleet parallax scrolling, different enemies and I think three bosses.
I put it on the site once but it was never picked up.

I hope to find the asset files again but I doubt that will happen. I would have to get the diskettes but I think I lost them.
Shits gone. Sad really.

Edit: The page was on freenet, not angelfire. It's down too

Edit2: I think what bums me out about this is that I wasn't even an ideas guy like most at that age.
We were actually creating pretty amazing stuff for our age and the time. But we didn't keep the ball rolling, just stopped creating things and now I can't even download it anymore, all that is left is a loving thumbnail.
poo poo.

Edit3: Don't drink and party kids! You heard it here!

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 14, 2012

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I once wrote a 75 page story that retold the video game Secret of Mana starring my original character who was of course better, smarter, and prettier than every other character in the game, and OF COURSE every guy character was in love with her, who wouldn't be ps no the character wasn't really me that's just dumb.

Thankfully I wrote it all long hand. I found it buried in my room when I was cleaning it out in preparation to move out and threw it away, grateful that I never had the super brilliant idea to put it on the internet.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

More recently, about two years ago I taught myself symbolic logic in order to create a mathematically-sound theory of comics and sequential art. :spergin:

I take it you have read this?

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Once spent literally 24 hours playing Super Mario 64, only pausing for the bathroom; food was brought back to the television. That was an interesting drive back to the rental store, let me tell you.

Me and a buddy once spent a whole weekend beating sm64. It was kind of a planned thing, we got a 1kg tub of skittles and resolved to eat the whole thing and beat the game over the weekend. We did it late on sunday, sick to hell of eating skittles but we saw that loving challenge through drat it, good times, I regret nothing.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Chamale posted:

I know it's stupid, but I was just unable to write something that would get published in a big magazine. There was a time when I was really nervous about posting on the forums because I just didn't like having other people read my writing.

I know I'm kidding, I had a WoW gf (she was super cute), I have no room to judge. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Do it. I'll go get some of my old poems and we can be spergy together.

Let the poo poo art commence, then.

I HEART NINJA

Also, I legitimately thought Tim Buckley was funny when I was in high school. That should say volumes about the person I used to be.

• Locked thread