Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
If you buy a physical game from retail, can you "install" it, 360-style, to your internal drive or USB HDD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That hasn't been mentioned as a feature at all, so I'm guessing no. It's most likely like the 3DS, where you can only have a retail game installed if you downloaded it digitally.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New Nintendo Direct out of nowhere! (Japanese)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6q8sNhm4uM&feature=plcp

Covers the day-one update, internal/external storage, etc.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The next console war has already been won.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Did they seriously just use a glass of marbles to represent system storage?

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

Did they seriously just use a glass of marbles to represent system storage?

That part was awesome, although I totally wanted them to dump the pink one in the small glass. Wish I could understand this other than the stupid translated captions, it sounds like stuff I want to know.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think anyone actually watching these videos needs the concept of storage capacity explained, but the visual is fun!

EDIT: I'm curious about the warning for drives powered solely by USB. I couldn't tell if the warning was only applicable to Y-cables, or all such drives.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 14, 2012

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
So unless I misunderstood these gibberish captions it sounds like once you use the external hard drive with the Wii U it can't be used with PC? At least I'm guessing thats what http://puu.sh/1q5ev means.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
For anyone wondering what was said about VC on the Gamepad, he basically just said that people won't be able to play Wii/WiiWare/Wii VC stuff on Gamepad and that they apologise for not being able to add that feature, but that they'll be doing Wii U VC and those games definitely will be playable on the Gamepad. No mention of free or paid updates or anything else.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think anyone actually watching these videos needs the concept of storage capacity explained, but the visual is fun!

EDIT: I'm curious about the warning for drives powered solely by USB. I couldn't tell if the warning was only applicable to Y-cables, or all such drives.

Drives with external power sources definitely will work. Drives without external power sources may or may not work depending on the quality of the particular drive; use a Y-cable for optimum performance. It's basically the same deal as with soft-modded Wiis, from the sounds of things.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No mention of free or paid updates or anything else.

Like they'd ever update anything for free. I wish people would just stop buying the same loving game for 5-15€ yet again for, like, one generation so Nintendo would not get away with this poo poo anymore.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think there's a single VC game from Nintendo or anyone else that's 15€.

EDIT: oh, and when the Wii Internet Browser went from paid to free they gave everyone who bought it a VC game of equal value.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

OK so it's 12€ like that makes a difference. Actually let's include re-releases on carts/disks which went for 20-30€ just because.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I don't think there's a single VC game from Nintendo or anyone else that's 15€.

EDIT: oh, and when the Wii Internet Browser went from paid to free they gave everyone who bought it a VC game of equal value.

Don't forget the Ambassador Program the 3DS got when that got its big price drop.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The fact that it's a feature they apparently already want to implement, but can't due to technical limitations, suggests that they might be as friendly about future upgrades as they were with the ambassador deal. We'll see, I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

OK so it's 12€ like that makes a difference. Actually let's include re-releases on carts/disks which went for 20-30€ just because.

I don't think 12 whatevers is an unreasonable price for the few games that did cost that much (especially because they're 50% more expensive here in Australia for absolutely no reason... I wish we got 'em that cheap).

Anyway, the 3DS VC has variable pricing, so they're not charging flat prices for every game on a certain system regardless of content/quality.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

kojicolnair posted:

So unless I misunderstood these gibberish captions it sounds like once you use the external hard drive with the Wii U it can't be used with PC? At least I'm guessing thats what http://puu.sh/1q5ev means.

That is what it's saying. I can understand the reasoning behind it but that's a bit harsh isn't it? At least it's a good way to prevent piracy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gamestop asked me yesterday if I wanted to preorder a 320gb drive for 79.99. It was really hard to not laugh.(I got a TBdrive from Amazon for less)

The clerk also noticed I hadn't pre ordered Mario, and when I said I was going to download it direct from Nintendo she looked very annoyed. I'm buying like $600 worth of stuff at launch from you guys, cut me some slack!

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 14, 2012

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

For anyone wondering what was said about VC on the Gamepad, he basically just said that people won't be able to play Wii/WiiWare/Wii VC stuff on Gamepad and that they apologise for not being able to add that feature, but that they'll be doing Wii U VC and those games definitely will be playable on the Gamepad. No mention of free or paid updates or anything else.

So, they're giving the Wii U its own VC then? Hopefully they won't take so long to roll stuff out for it, esepcially with all the stuff the Wii already got. They're probably not going to let people have what they got on the Wii free on the Wii U because Nintendo, honestly.

And Nintendo presenters/officials/execs staring at fruit is something I'm not sure I'll get tired of.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
From that video, hard to tell but is it saying for external usb powered portable hard drives I'll need a Y-cable? I'm not really familiar with external hard drives, I bought my first one a month ago and haven't even opened it. Is it likely going to come with such a cable or is that something that can be picked up in any Office Depot?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

greatn posted:

From that video, hard to tell but is it saying for external usb powered portable hard drives I'll need a Y-cable? I'm not really familiar with external hard drives, I bought my first one a month ago and haven't even opened it. Is it likely going to come with such a cable or is that something that can be picked up in any Office Depot?

Some external hard drives run fine on a single cable; on the Wii U, that will do. Some external drives need y-cables on PC and those will need y-cables on Wii U; that will also work.
Some external drives have dedicated power supplies; these will ALSO work on Wii U.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

The Introvert posted:

So, they're giving the Wii U its own VC then? Hopefully they won't take so long to roll stuff out for it, esepcially with all the stuff the Wii already got. They're probably not going to let people have what they got on the Wii free on the Wii U because Nintendo, honestly.

And Nintendo presenters/officials/execs staring at fruit is something I'm not sure I'll get tired of.

You can transfer all your Wii stuff and use it in Wii mode.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, wait, to use a hard drive on the U, it needs to be formatted for the U and then can't be used on a PC?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

xwonderboyx posted:

Yes, but if they release updated versions on U's virtual console that are compatible with gamepad, it would be nice (though unlikely) if those were free to people who already bought the wii version.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

xwonderboyx posted:

I know that, but I don't actually have any VC/WiiWare stuff for my Wii. I'm hoping that I can just skip the Wii mode stuff entirely and get the same VC stuff with added Gamepad support or something, else I'll just get it all on the Wii before getting the Wii U and transferring it over.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, wait, to use a hard drive on the U, it needs to be formatted for the U and then can't be used on a PC?

If it's anything like playing Wii games off an external drive, you need to create a partition on your hard drive to install to. The Wii used something called WBFS format and needed its own partition to install and play games from. Now granted, this was all done through homebrew programs, so I don't know how much those programs did on the inside to help this all along.

Regardless, once a partition was WBFS formatted, a computer couldn't recognize it. Hence creating the partition, leaving you with a section of the drive that can still be accessed by a computer.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FPzero posted:

If it's anything like playing Wii games off an external drive, you need to create a partition on your hard drive to install to. The Wii used something called WBFS format and needed its own partition to install and play games from. Now granted, this was all done through homebrew programs, so I don't know how much those programs did on the inside to help this all along.

Regardless, once a partition was WBFS formatted, a computer couldn't recognize it. Hence creating the partition, leaving you with a section of the drive that can still be accessed by a computer.

Hopefully this is an easy process..I could create a 200GB partition just for the WiiU or something like that.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

This sounds about right to me. One should probably plan on dedicating a hard drive to the U.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

FPzero posted:

The WBFS limitation was removed, FAT32 and NTFS both work now. Anyways, likely the reason behind this is much like how the internal hd works on PS3. I'm going to guess for security reasons the hard drive data will be entirely encrypted to a certificate unique to each console to reduce the risk of people snatching data off it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

flyboi posted:

The WBFS limitation was removed, FAT32 and NTFS both work now. Anyways, likely the reason behind this is much like how the internal hd works on PS3. I'm going to guess for security reasons the hard drive data will be entirely encrypted to a certificate unique to each console to reduce the risk of people snatching data off it.

Ah nice to know. It's been years since I formatted the drive so I didn't know about this.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

greatn posted:

HDDs that draw power from USB rated higher than USB 2.0 draw too much power, that's why it needs a Y-cable going to Wii U's two USB 2.0 ports.

Powered HDDs that draw power from a wall socket, generator, etc., need only one Wii U USB connection.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 14, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Doug Dinsdale posted:

HDDs that draw power from USB rated higher than USB 2.0 draw too much power, that's why it needs a Y-cable going to two Wii U's two USB 2.0 ports.

Powered HDDs that draw power from a wall socket, generator, etc., need only one Wii U USB connection.

I assume I can find such a cable at Staples quite easily? My Western Digital is rated for Usb 3.0 but compatible with 2.0

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

HDDs that draw power from USB rated higher than USB 2.0 draw too much power, that's why it needs a Y-cable going to two Wii U's two USB 2.0 ports.

So basically a USB 3.0 is going to need a Y-Cable, otherwise you're good.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

greatn posted:

I assume I can find such a cable at Staples quite easily? My Western Digital is rated for Usb 3.0 but compatible with 2.0

Get one from monoprice.com and save yourself $20.

Edit:
Here's one for $.90. I'm assuming its a mini 5 pin on the other end that you need. Check your drive specs.

plasticbugs fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 14, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

A few pages late but I have to say the gamepad charging is great news. The worst thing is when my ps3 controller goes dead and I have to sit 6feet away from a bigscreen.

Question. Does the deluxe edition have noncradle charging capabilities? Because a cradle kind of negates the charge while playing at a proper distance goodness.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bombadilillo posted:

A few pages late but I have to say the gamepad charging is great news. The worst thing is when my ps3 controller goes dead and I have to sit 6feet away from a bigscreen.

Question. Does the deluxe edition have noncradle charging capabilities? Because a cradle kind of negates the charge while playing at a proper distance goodness.

Yeah, it comes with a cradle and the cable.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

They have a demo unit up at my local target store. No games or anything, but at least it had a working controller I could play around with. It's pretty drat light and I don't think I'd have a problem holding it for a while and playing a game.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

You could buy a USB wallplug adaptor for $0.50 and sit 6 feet away from an outlet instead.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Katana Gomai posted:

You could buy a USB wallplug adaptor for $0.50 and sit 6 feet away from an outlet instead.

Or any other device with an open USB port, really. I charge my PS3 controllers with my laptop while playing on the PS3. It's only supplying power, so plug it into whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Dell is selling Wii U Deluxe bundle pre orders - $459.99 with Madden and Just Dance.

Story
http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/14/3645088/dell-wii-u-hardware-software

Dell
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A6525896

I'd be all over that if it weren't for the stupid bundle. No interest at all in those 2 games. Doh.

• Locked thread