Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzle
Apr 11, 2008
Finally something to help my problem.

I apparently am a steamaholic and I own 219 games and have completed maybe 5?

I cant avoid the shiny deals but hopefully this will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
After suffering through way too loving many turret sections in Red Faction II, one of the ai helper buddies decided to block the exit from a building that had a 45 second timer on explosives and I died. I'm just gonna go ahead and call this game beaten. I don't want to play it any more.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Completed Avernum: Escape From The Pit. By which I mean "did all three grand quests and got a bunch of achievements." Really enjoyed this, though I'm not sure I'll be able to play the other (older games). The design looks pretty atrocious.

One thing I did not appreciate about the game was if you complete the third grand quest without five brooches, you can't go back to Avernum and keep playing. You die right after accomplishing your mission. I don't think it was ever stated that having five brooches would be better than having four, just that you needed four.

e: VVVVVV 48 hours.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 12, 2012

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

BKPR posted:

Completed Avernum: Escape From The Pit. By which I mean "did all three grand quests and got a bunch of achievements."

Just out of curiosity, how much time did it take?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
So, another productive weekend, which saw me slog through some more short games in the space of a few hours. So here's another set of beaten completed games.

Completed: Back to the Future: The Game (all the episodes) - Man, those were some crazy adventure games. Wasn't a major fan of the films and just about remember them, but the game felt a lot more open to people new to the franchise. The first two episodes were ok, not great, But Episode 3: Citizen Brown and Episode 4: Double Visions really were entertaining. The final episode wasn't too bad, and tied up the whole game nicely, even if it went batshit crazy at the end with all the Marty McFly's turning up in the end.

Each episode is about 2 and a half hours long, so it's no hassle getting it off your backlog.

More importantly, they're Telltale point and click adventure games, so you know you'll enjoy them on some level.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Finished: Hard Reset. It's got an interesting enjoyment curve: It starts off as a really awesome Duke Nukem 3D-style shooter with a lot of exploration and secrets, albeit one that's very reliant on ambushes.

...Then around the middle it turns to poo poo when the game decides that the definition of difficulty is having you fight three dozen robots in close quarters with weapons that can hurt yourself composing half of your arsenal.

BUT THEN during the last couple stages the game decides to go all-out action, just sticking you in big arenas making you fight hordes of robots which at first sounds really boring, but Hard Reset's combat is strong enough to make that absolutely solid, and you've got your favorite weapons that you've fully upgraded that you've by now gotten really good with.

If we could remove that second act, everything from after the constructor fight to around the trash compactor, and have the third act happen twice, the game would be a lot stronger.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Wow, I really must work...

Beaten: Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP - A beautiful game, its a joy for the senses, really short too. Certainly worth playing through.

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.
After several months of buying tons of new games and never playing them, I actually played one and beat it! Dragon's Dogma is really fun, it reminds me of Monster Hunter, Shadow of the Colossus, and Dark Souls all thrown in a blender. The story is kind of dumb but the gameplay is pretty solid, and I enjoyed pretty much every minute of it.

Only complaint I have is that enemies don't scale with you as you level up, so at this point I am so grossly overpowered and murder everything with ease.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
After not finishing anything since July, I finally buckled down and finished two great games:

Borderlands 2 - Finished the main quest with two characters, haven't done the DLC or the 2nd playthrough yet. I'll wait a little while before getting back to it, but goddamn is this game fun, especially in multiplayer. The difficulty ramps up very nicely with three other teammates.

Binary Domain - Bought on the recommendation of many in the general Steam thread, this is a very fun third-person cover-shooter that mixes solid FPS play with a crazy JRPG style story. Buy it on sale, because its only about 6-8 hours long, but it's a fun ride the whole way through.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
Just beat mass effect 2!

I'm close to beating assassins creed: brotherhood, but i'm feeling kinda burned out on the game so I might hold off.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beat Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory. Bought on Desura ages ago, got a Steam key today and finally played it. Beat it in an hour and a half. It's a pretty fun game, regardless of the length. Will probably go for a couple more achievements and then write it off as complete.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.

UtahIsNotAState posted:

Just beat mass effect 2!

I'm close to beating assassins creed: brotherhood, but i'm feeling kinda burned out on the game so I might hold off.

Hang in there, brother. If you put it down you'll never pick it back up. Don't fall off the wagon! At least that's my experience with AC games.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shachi posted:

Hang in there, brother. If you put it down you'll never pick it back up. Don't fall off the wagon! At least that's my experience with AC games.

This is 100% correct and completely my experience with Brotherhood. I loved AC2, got Brotherhood when it came out but just kinda burned out about 20% into it and put it down for a few weeks. I tried coming back to it but always was meh about it and didn't play for more than a few minutes before turning it off :sigh: That means I still have Relevations on my backlog.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Thanks for the warning guys. I guess i'll play it for an hour before bed tonight to get me back in the habit of playing it.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
I put down ME2 months ago mostly because I was burned out from doing a ME1 binder in anticipation of blazing 2 to play 3 which I got for free. That was months ago and I have no idea where I am in the story. :sigh:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I was usually pretty good about playing through games I've got, but with grad school everything has just went to poo poo :(

Does DLC count as a backlog? I have a bunch of DLC that came out for games I beat along time ago before they came out. If so:

DLC Backlog:
- BioShock 2: Minervas Den DLC
- Hard Reset: Exile DLC
- Deus Ex HR: Missing Link DLC
- Borderlands 2: Scarlett DLC
* Keep in mind, I lost my saves for most of these games so I'd probably have to do a complete replay if they're not easily accessible.

"Half-Played" Backlog that I can't bring myself to finish:
- Assasins Creed: Brotherhood
- Darksiders II (I finished Earth area and lost interest for some reason)
- Skyrim (I tried this after The Witcher 2 and this was a let down. I'm sure with mods now I'll probably give it another shot and beat it given time)

Untouched backlog:
- Alice: Madness Returns
- AC2: Revelations
- Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
- Guild Wars 2
- Lego Batman 2
- Lego Harry Potter 1 & 2
- Retro City Rampage
- Orcs Must Die 2
- Vampires: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
- Amnesia
- Dark Souls
- Dead Rising 2
- Prototype 2
- SpaceChem
- Max Payne 3
- Other bunch of random indie games from bundles that I'll probably never touch (Lone Survivor, Limbo, Jamestown, Wizorb, etc)

Any recommendations of things I should play? I'd like to chip away the shorter/most fun:time ratio games. I probably won't have time to tackle the longer games like Dark Souls until winter break.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 15, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xaris posted:

I was usually pretty good about playing through games I've got, but with grad school everything has just went to poo poo :(

Any recommendations of things I should play? I'd like to chip away the shorter/most fun:time ratio games. I probably won't have time to tackle the longer games like Dark Souls until winter break.

The only DXHR DLC you really "play" is The Missing Link, IIRC; the rest just adds items and whatnot to the main game. That's pretty short.

As for the full games - I assume that by VtM, you mean VtM: Bloodlines? That's longer than some but pretty short for an RPG, although you might want to play it through at least twice to see all the Malkavian content.

SpaceChem is fantastic and can easily be played in short bursts. Warning: may eat your brain.

Amnesia is also short but sweet, although to be honest I thought Penumbra was better.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Whoops! You're right about DXHR. I thought there was more "playable" content there. Is Missing Link worth it? I might just hold off and do a replay through it a few years down the road since I lost my save when my OCZ SSD (yeah yeah) crapped out.

Yep, Bloodlines. I picked it up during the Halloween sale and it looks pretty cool but it seemed lengthy. I'll give that a shot, thanks.

As for SpaceChem, I play games to get away from thinking ;) Although it is right up my alley, but I think I'll try to beat that during winter break so my brain doesn't rot away during hibernation mode.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Shachi posted:

I put down ME2 months ago mostly because I was burned out from doing a ME1 binder in anticipation of blazing 2 to play 3 which I got for free. That was months ago and I have no idea where I am in the story. :sigh:

Can't you just go to the menu and open up the journal and look at the quests you have? That should give you a good idea where you are. Next to the active quests one there should be a quest log of quests you have completed. Just read through those to see what you've done so far.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

UtahIsNotAState posted:

Thanks for the warning guys. I guess i'll play it for an hour before bed tonight to get me back in the habit of playing it.

Brotherhood ends pretty abruptly and quickly, I just beat it myself. Just skip all the side stuff

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Shachi posted:

You're recruiting people you mostly don't care about for a 'suicide mission' that's not actually that hard.

There, that's exactly your point in the complex story of Mass Effect 2.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I put down X-COM for awhile to give the backlog a proper backlogging. I sorted through all my Steam purchases by date and then built a list in purchase order of the stuff I still haven't played much of.

Then I cleaned some house.

BEATEN: Torchlight. This was my last unbeaten game from 2009 or before, and now it's done. Not a lot to say about it, other than that I was a Vanquisher and that Flechette traps were my only friend.

BEATEN: Recettear. I had more fun with this than I really had any right to, and Endless mode is going to beckon for awhile. Also, I beat the game in the first loop, without using any exploits and without any particular savescumming beyond experimenting with the mechanics some. So I'm feeling kind of smug about that.

My only game purchased in 2010 I still have left that I haven't put at least a few hours into, then, is Dragon Age: Origins. (There is also Penumbra: Overture, which was part of the first Humble Bundle and which I do not consider myself to voluntarily own. I hear it's pretty good, though.) From 2010, that also leaves Uru: Complete Collection, which hasn't done much for me though I've made it into the midgame, and the King's Bounty reboot games, which are really great but also tend to reduce me into a fine paste. Maybe I should play them on easier difficulty levels. :eng99:

That's 4 left from 2010, 5 left from 2011, and, um, 14 still from this year.

I'm running out of games I both own and really want to play, but the prospect of wiping out the backlog I started this thread with is looking like it's in sight.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I got Mass Effect 3 a few weeks ago, and for the past time I've been spending what little spare time I have replaying the previous games. Today I'm gonna finish the 2nd game, and I think I need a break from Mass Effect before tacking the third game. I've got such a backlog I don't know where to start, help me out. These are just what I know off the top of my head, I got probably 200 unplayed games on steam.

Potential candidates:

Assassins Creed 2 / Brotherhood / Revelations - I think I got halfway through AC 2 before dropping it for some other game. It was merely okay, I didn't like the italian settings as much as the middle-eastern towns from the first game. How much time am I lookin at, if I want to beat all these three?

Operation Flashpoint: Red River - I really liked Dragon Rising even though it was flawed. This looks more or less the same, but with brighter colors!

Alan Wake + DLC - I bought this impulsively during a steam sale, haven't ever launched.

Anno 2070 - I love the Anno series, so I bought this one right away. I haven't had time to even install it though, and it seems like a big departure of what the series was about (loving trading ship routes). How does this differ from 1404?

Syndicate (new one) - was cheap at an online store, grabbed a copy. Don't know much about it, but I'm always down for some nice shooters

Dead Space 1 & 2 - got both, I think I got to chapter seven in the first game before I hit a roadblock and didn't know where to go (too lazy to look up in a walkthrough). I really liked this game though!

Alice: Madness Returns - was cheap, looked like fun. Never installed :smith:

Bioshock 2 - :wtc: Didn't know I even had this game. It's a boxed special edition copy, I never buy special editions and I don't recall buying this. I kind of liked the first game, but it's just not System Shock :spergin:

Dragon Age 2 - I heard it's terrible but I couldn't pass it up for 2$ (boxed copy, seriously). I played Origins and liked it, got burned out on Awakening and I don't have a save file. I'd probably just replay the whole series

Finally, maybe I should finish Skyrim. I love everything about this game except the actual combat. I've got 80 hours played, and haven't even touched the main storyline (got to Dragonsreach but that's it), never started the civil war quest line. I think I'd just go with a new playthrough, does anyone know some goods mods for improving the combat?

Another option is just to start another character on Dark Souls. That loving game will last forever

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 15, 2012

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Xaris posted:

Whoops! You're right about DXHR. I thought there was more "playable" content there. Is Missing Link worth it? I might just hold off and do a replay through it a few years down the road since I lost my save when my OCZ SSD (yeah yeah) crapped out.

The game is steamworks so it should have backupped your saves to cloud.
That said missing link is standalone so you can hop right in.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xaris posted:

I enjoyed The Missing Link, it shares most of the same issues that the main game does but, like the main game, is enjoyable nonetheless. It's also completely stand-alone; you don't need to replay the main game. (If you did want to integrate it into a playthrough, start TML when you get into the stasis pod at the shipping dock and resume the main game when you finish TML.)

quote:

Yep, Bloodlines. I picked it up during the Halloween sale and it looks pretty cool but it seemed lengthy. I'll give that a shot, thanks.

It's long than, say, a typical modern FPS, but it's much shorter than most RPGs. Say about Alpha Protocol length, maybe slightly longer?

quote:

As for SpaceChem, I play games to get away from thinking ;) Although it is right up my alley, but I think I'll try to beat that during winter break so my brain doesn't rot away during hibernation mode.

If you can beat it that quickly, I'll be impressed. It's a fantastic game but it does not gently caress around with the difficulty.

Then again, I keep on getting sidetracked and replaying earlier levels to try to get better scores rather than actually progressing in the game.

Skilleddk posted:

Dead Space 1 & 2 - got both, I think I got to chapter seven in the first game before I hit a roadblock and didn't know where to go (too lazy to look up in a walkthrough). I really liked this game though!

I'd say go back to Dead Space, I really enjoyed DS1 and while I felt DS2 was a step back from that, it was still fun. I did spend a lot of my playthrough being wistful that Looking Glass didn't have that tech to work with when creating the Many in SS2, though.

Reportedly, DS was originally meant to be System Shock 3, and you can kind of see the inspiration there, although it's less of a System Shock game than even Bioshock was, I feel.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

ManxomeBromide posted:

BEATEN: Recettear. I had more fun with this than I really had any right to, and Endless mode is going to beckon for awhile. Also, I beat the game in the first loop, without using any exploits and without any particular savescumming beyond experimenting with the mechanics some. So I'm feeling kind of smug about that.

How quickly does the dungeon aspect of the game pick up? I just remember getting to boss rush on the first set of dungeons and not being able to progress any further in them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I beat Crysis: Warhead. Not a bad game I guess but definitely just a reason to reuse some assets from the original Crysis without putting too much effort into it. It's only three and a half hours long but if you like Crysis style gameplay you'll still have a blast with it. Simple and to the point, shoot mans and some aliens on an island. Two things that stood out about it though:

1) The Crytek engine does light and shadow really well but there are almost never any dark interiors in those games. Warhead has a level where you're underground in tight tunnels with weird green flares lighting up gnarled roots and you have a shotgun with a flashlight on it and it looks goddamn amazing. That part was really fun.

2) The cutscenes were awful. For serious, this is four minutes of the most boring and stupid poo poo I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebAxBqXuvRs

Also apparently the secret to taking down a super soldier in a super suit is to use a $10 Wal*mart stun gun. Welp.

I also beat the single player portion of Need for Speed: Most Wanted. The driving is great, it looks fantastic but man it's just sort of a hollow experience. No personality, the cops don't add a goddamn thing and it just feels like there wasn't much thought put into any of the progression as all of the cars have the same mods and there's no fun paint jobs or interesting customization at all. I don't regret buying it as I still had fun and multiplayer is a blast but it just feels like a step back in many ways from both Paradise and Hot Pursuit.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BKPR posted:

How quickly does the dungeon aspect of the game pick up? I just remember getting to boss rush on the first set of dungeons and not being able to progress any further in them.

Once you unlock boss rush, you've cleared the entire dungeon. More dungeons become available as the plot progresses. This is independent of your progress through paying off the loan; it's possible to pay off the entire loan and "win" without ever making much progress in the storyline or unlocking more than the first two dungeons. On the flip side, you can - if you're careful, or are a few iterations in and thus no longer need to worry much about money - unlock most of the dungeons and characters before the final payment is due.

The plot is advanced primarily through triggered cutscenes, so your best bet is to check frequently for flashing locations in the town map and spend your time visiting them rather than dungeon crawling or managing the store. Some cutscenes are also triggered by certain characters visiting your store, and that's where you're most likely to get stuck - if you have an extremely cheerful and gaudy store that you mostly open in the mornings, for example, Griff is unlikely to shop there and you won't trigger any in-store cutscenes involving him.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Assassin's Creed Revelations
Within a few months I have played and beaten both AC2 and AssBro, and I still felt I needed to play AssRev to tidy up the ending of AssBro and Ezio's saga.
I'm not sure if it was AC fatigue or just a sub par game, but I felt let down by AssRev.
Sure the game is polished, but there were a lot of elements that that really felt out of place or added on: The tower defense game, the bomb crafting, driving that loving horse carriage and the fact that Ezio's face had transformed to look like what Freddie Mercury would look like, had he gotten old and grey.
I also didn't really care for the setting of Constantinople and would rather see more of Italy, preferably while drinking a bottle of Chianti Classico and thinking of how bad these dudes are at riding horses and that it won't really change when they eventually upgrade to cars.
So all in all it was not a bad game, but don't go out of your way to play this unless you really want more of the AC2 universe or an ending to AC1's Altaïr's story.

Complete: Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point DLC
Don't get this for the story, as it's pretty retarded, but the fighting is awesome.
As the DLC is outside of the normal SD universe, it doesn't matter how far you have come in the main game, as this is launched outside of that game and won't interfere with your saves, collected items etc.
A fun DLC, but I must also admit that I only got it to keep my 100% completion of the game and its achievements intact.

Nulled: Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
I actually feel a bit bad for nulling this, at it was gifted to me on release, but I just couldn't get into it at all.
I had to click through a lot of nonsense about teenage girls and some club and getting 3 or 4 other people added as members. Then I could do chores, homework or sleep and "upgrade my stats".
As a grown man of 43, it was easier for me to identify with Ezio Auditore in Renaissance Italy, than teen girls in a Japanese High School, which resulted in an uninstall.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I wanted to beat Revelations before III comes out but I'm about five hours in and just bored as hell. I'm trying to ignore all of the side stuff but even the main missions are dull and drab and everything about the bombs and crafting just sucks.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Beat: Mirror's Edge
Great looking game, but I think first person made it more frustrating than it needed to be. I liked a lot of the design choices, especially color use. Worth a grab on sale.

Beat: Metro 2033
I really tried to like this game, but I just feel like STALKER: CoP is a better game all around. The UI was especially frustrating.

Beat: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
One of the best games I've ever played. I got owned by invaders a lot but had trouble finding people to join for co-op :( Binged on this game hard, I'll come back later.

Beat: Driver: San Francisco
Better than I thought it would be. I don't really like racing games but I enjoyed this one. The story is dumb (surprise!) but the game's gimmick is refreshing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp just beat Alan Wake again. I had beaten it on the 360 when it was new (not the DLC though) and was underwhelmed but now that I've returned to it I really gained a new appreciation. No it's not perfect but since going through some stuff in my personal life I've found that I can relate to the story a lot more. It also doesn't hurt that it's a goddamn great PC port as it looks fantastic and runs smooth as butter. I seriously love the atmosphere and lighting in this game.

That being said I'm a little underwhelmed by the DLC. The tactic them employ with Wake making his words a reality is a neat idea but it doesn't completely carry the combat. Too often the game just spawns a poo poo ton of take all around you over and over and over again. I don't hate the combat but it's not the game's strong suit and I think the DLC leans on it too much. However The Signal and The Writer have some fantastic setpieces with the field of telephone poles, ferris wheel house and climb to the lighthouse.

And while the story presented in the DLC definitely sheds light on the ending to the main game and carries on the fact that Alice is alive and well and it's basically just Alan going loving insane I really bummed that it ends with a big to be continued...again. I also own American Nightmare and plan to play it sometime soon but I've heard that's more of a side-story than advancing the main plot so that's a little disappointing. I really hope Remedy can return to the series and apply some tweaks and polish as I know goddamn well then can deliver a quality product.

I'm pretending Death Rally didn't happen.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Beat: Master Levels for Doom II
I had a Doom itch that needed scratchin'. I apparently got this from some id megapack years ago. I used to make Doom levels when I was a kid, and it was always fun to see what people could accomplish with a primitive WAD editor and a lot of patience. These levels were fun for the most part. A few of them relied too much on inescapable traps and one had a bug, but overall, it's a good collection of levels from some of the better level designers of the time. I played these using GZDoom for the higher res and mouselook support.

Beat: Faerie Solitaire
I wanted something I could play on my netbook. This is a charming and addicting little card game that I beat in 3 or 4 sittings. If you like solitaire or other simple card games, it's worth picking up.

Playing: Doom 3 (the original, not the BFG edition)
I remember downloading the leaked alpha of this way back when and being blown away by the lighting and shadow effects. Then the game came out, I played it for about an hour, and never went back to it. Everyone complains about the darkness and the flashlight, but for me, the biggest problem is the anemic shooting. Doom is all about using big guns with boomy sounds that mow down waves of enemies. I'm enjoying it for the atmosphere so far, but it's hard to think of it as a Doom game.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Beat:
XCOM
Dishonored
Prince of Persia (last one)
Modern Warfare 3
Uncharted 3
and LA Noire

All in the last two weeks or so. Except for MW3 and PoP, they were all really fun (actually, Uncharted wasn't much fun playing, but a drat good experience). Most of them were halfway beaten, but I had an isolated time of me and my forgotten PS3.

I'm working on FTL constantly (no victories yet, but I don't mind since it's the perfect bite-sized time waste), Saints Row 2, Borderlands 2, STALKER SoC, Torchlight 2, Darksiders 2.

Unfortunately with this stack all these games have parts I really like, and large aspects that make them a slog and are quick to be put down. A big point is how loving long these games are and it's becoming difficult to find shorter games on the backlog (AssRev, Just Cause 2, Mass Effect 2+3, Bully, Red Faction: Guerilla, Dark Souls, GTA IV...).

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Beat: Shift 2. I said earlier in the thread that I'd do all of the events apart from the drift one but it got to the point where 16 souped-up Zondas and Veyrons were tearing round tight city circuits and it was near-impossible to get round the first few corners, so I skipped to the GT3 and GT1 races, and consider it beat, having won the GT1 Championship. I actually thought the GT racing on proper circuits to be best part of the game.

Up next, Metal Gear Solid with a mod to run it at 1024x768 and some AA/AF it looks pretty alright for a game over 14 years old.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Sniper Elite V2
Just what I needed! After a lot of free-roaming, open world, main+side questing action adventuring, it was great to come back to a simple, linear WW2 FPS, whose name is not Call of Duty.
Your primary gun is the sniper rifle and the gimmick in this game is of course the bullet cam and some spectacular kills. Some would call them in-to-your-body experiences.
I really enjoyed this game and when I had finished the single player campaign (there is also co-op) after 10 hours, I rounded it all off by killing Hitler.
A perfect end to an enjoyable game.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
Finished: To The Moon: It may be because I have a heart of shriveled black coal, but it didn't do anything for me. No game has greatly affected me since Nier, so I guess that's a high standard to live up to. It wasn't bad, it just didn't resonate with me.

Just finished: Prototype 2: I wanted to like this game. I did like this game. The juxtaposition of the half mournful, half angry protagonist with the wanton gleeful carnage of everything else was a bit jarring, but the gameplay was great. However, the crashing and graphical glitches kind of ruined it for me. I fought exactly one Goliath that wasn't invisible, could rarely summon my horde without the game wigging out, and regularly crashed during mission-ending cutscenes. I liked it enough to get all the way through it and the side missions despite all that, anyway.

Null(??): Defy Gravity Extended: I think I have to throw in the towel. The satisfaction/frustration ratio is getting too skewed in the wrong direction. I don't know how far I am (somewhere in the set of levels after you get the Grand Master achievement), but I've struggled with every level since then and finally gave up.

To play: ? Don't know what to play next. Tried to play GTA:SA but I find the controls on the PC hilariously awkward, even after I went to the effort to set up Joy2Key. I have a copy for XBox still kicking around somewhere (hell, I still have my PS2 copy, if my PS2 still worked :(), I'll use that if I feel the need to.

Maybe I'll play Lego Batman 2. I always enjoy the Lego games, though I played both Lego Harry Potter games relatively recently so I'm a bit Lego'd out.

I'm super excited about the last episode of the Walking Dead, though, so there's something!

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I beat Fable III.

I liked it a lot, much better game overall than II. I understand the complaints people have, but I enjoy the formula. Kind of stripped down RPG without the grinding, inventory management, getting lost, etc. I do enjoy the variety in the voice acting and all the little incidental lines the NPCs have.

I was waiting on Darksiders 2 to go on sale and I've picked it up. 8 hours in. I think it's great. I really dug the first one, which I played on Xbox. The painted art style works great and it's more of the same - pretty solid 3rd person combat with Zelda type adventuring.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Been sick for the past couple of days so I've had plenty of time to work on some of my backlog.

Beat: Bone: Out from Boneville & Bone: The Great Cow Race
I bought these in a Telltale pack a while ago and they've always bugged me for being some of the first games I see on my games list, so I decided to give them a go. Simple adventure games full of good dialogue and character design. The first one was a tad bit short but both of them together make an enjoyable alternate universe for adventure games. Seems like they were going to make another episode but never got around to it.

Beat: Portal 2
I enjoyed the first Portal like everyone else so I was excited to see what new mechanics they added in. I legitimately got stuck on some of the later puzzles and shamefully used a walk-through twice. The characters, dialogue and ending were definitely some of the highlights, they really revved up the ambiance of the first game in all the right ways.

Null: Macinarium
The artwork is cute but the gameplay itself was too boring without any dialogue or noticeably interesting characters/stories/events. I wasn't really enjoying it and I realized I was 1/4 - 1/3 through and I ended it right there.

Beat: On The Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 3
The first two games were really fun with good combat mechanics and writing, and this one holds up to the first two (You could see the Zeyboid influence however, not that its a bad thing). I've never played JRPGS that had a multiclass system so mix-matching everyone for their own style of play felt really rewarding. I enjoyed the turn-based system they used as well.

Beat: Far Cry 2
I feel like this game did a lot of things right but there's some glaringly obvious annoyances implemented within the game design. Ignoring the copious amounts of checkpoints and the absurd spawning of enemies (who all happen to be bullet sponges ), the game dragged on for too long with a weak storyline in which you could barely see the progression your making. You do the same style of missions for 90% of the game and then the last couple makes you go around killing everyone you work for . Halfway through I was pretty much done with the game, skipped the numerous side quests, and made a dash for the ending. Great gunplay, exploration, and driving mechanics though, just wished I had better incentives to do those things. Definitely a Ubisoft game.

Beat: Torchlight II Never was a fan of Diablo-esque action RPGS, but this one grabbed me really well. The customization, combat and loot system is pretty good and I honestly would recommend this over Diablo 3. Completed the first game through with some friends, going to do a NG+ in the future because hey, its fun.

Currently Playing: Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcerers EP and Painkiller:Black
S&S is pretty interesting but it doesn't hold my interest too much. Good thing its really short. Loving Painkiller but the less I play the less my quake-esque skills are working at their most optimal state.

Whats next?
Overlord II (got far in the first one but had to quit because I couldn't change difficulty), Osmos, Cthulu Saves the World, and some Sam & Max.

\/\/\/ yeah I'm looking forward to it, played season 1: ep 1 so i'm installing the second episode. I enjoyed the first one.

bef fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

bef posted:

Whats next?
Overlord II (got far in the first one but had to quit because I couldn't change difficulty), Osmos, Cthulu Saves the World, and some Sam & Max.

I recommend playing through Sam & Max, the Seasons are easy enough to play through in short runs of maybe 2-3 hours an episode.