Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

So I'm guessing more reviews will go up around midnight? I just got my email from Best Buy saying my Wii U will be ready to pick up tomorrow during regular store hours, I didn't realize they opened at 11am. It was about this time of day on Wii launch that I got in line so I guess it could be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yeah my gamestop opens at 11 too. Whats the logic with a Sunday launch anyway? Surely Saturday would be the day to launch, you get Friday night midnight launches and the weekend to play. Come on Nintendo.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Akileese posted:

I'm not surprised really. Seems like Sears.com is always having some weird issues (odds are they probably oversold the stock they had) and due to the amount of complaining you can hear about them from people on the internet something like this was bound to happen.

e: If you want a system, start calling around to Target or Walmart. The word from Nintendo is that they'll be walk in supply in some places (though places like Gamestop who had a preorders, a waiting list, and then a waiting list for the waiting list, you're SOL). Not sure what BB's deal is though. I know they took preorders but I don't know if they have an additional waiting list like gamestop does.

2nd edit: Just got the gamestop text telling me my preorder can be picked up Sunday morning. Huzzah. Still gonna show up early with breakfast and my ds.

Yeah, that's my plan. I'm going to check Walmart at midnight and Target the next morning if I can't snag one at Walmart.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Cool, my Sears order just got "delayed" and they can't even tell me anything for 5-7 days.

I feel you. I haven't received an update on the Toysrus order I placed in October, and when I punch my order number into the box on Toysrus' website it tells me that the order couldn't be found. I have the growing feeling that I am going to get dicked over with this, but I have been telling myself that they probably haven't processed the order because the product hasn't released.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Got my texts from Gamestop that my Wii U and games will be available tomorrow for pickup. I wasn't all that excited when the U was announced but now I'm getting pumped! I didn't think I'd be able to actually afford it, but after trading in a bunch of stuff I'm getting the Deluxe, Mario, and ZombiU. I've also got Sonic Racing from Gamefly, plus the pack in Nintendo Land so I'm set.

One more day!

And if anyone's looking for more info on ZombiU, Policenaut posted some gameplay videos a few pages ago. Looked okay to me. Some creepy stuff in a meat locker with a zombie crawling on the ground.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

INTERACTIVE CD-ROM posted:

So is the cricket bat the only melee weapon in ZombieU? That Gamespot review certainly made close combat look boring and repetitive, but surely there's other, better melee weapons to find? If so, I don't think "kills take too long with the default weapon" is really a valid criticism if better options are readily available.

edit: yeah, there's a pickaxe kill at the end of this preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXT0gjt3Os.
So the Gamespot review confirms that trying to beat the game using the default melee weapon will be tedious. Ok...?

His argument was that the game was too hard and he died too much so he only ever used the weapons you spawn with and stock piled the rest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah my gamestop opens at 11 too. Whats the logic with a Sunday launch anyway? Surely Saturday would be the day to launch, you get Friday night midnight launches and the weekend to play. Come on Nintendo.

It's because of the shipping logistics. The reason Tuesday is usually the day for entertainment stuff is because everyone gets their product throughout the week, including Monday of the next week, Monday night/Tuesday morning the week after everything ships out is the earliest that every retailer will have their entire allocation of product in.

Most GameStop locations are opening an hour earlier at 10AM instead of 11 tomorrow.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
As usual we really won't know poo poo about Zombi U until it comes out and a real person plays it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Silver Falcon posted:

I'll grant you the sky overworld being barren and empty. Lots of wasted potential there. And the flying controls were stupid and horrible, and you don't even get to name your bird?! Stupid.

I liked the overworlds though. There were only three of them, sure, but each one was quite distinct from the others. I enjoyed going back to each one, opening up new areas, and seeing what had changed.

Also Groose. Best thing about that game.

And if you didn't enjoy Bomb bowling, I don't know what to tell you. That poo poo is awesome!

I didn't say I hated all of it, just that a lot of it bothered me.

I just wish that 2 of the 3 worlds didn't feel so uninspired and generic really. The only one I really enjoyed exploring was the desert as it did a lot of cool stuff with the time stones. The forest was just a forest (albeit a very pretty forest) and the Volcano was just a generic mountain area.

Groose was pretty great, I just wish Ghiriham (I probably spelled that wrong) was great as well. That dude had so much potential but it was always "I'm going to kill you for loving up my plans so often! ...just not today because"

The bomb bowling controls didn't work for me most of the time, that's why I didn't like it that much. I just couldn't get it to work that well.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Static Rook posted:

And if anyone's looking for more info on ZombiU, Policenaut posted some gameplay videos a few pages ago. Looked okay to me. Some creepy stuff in a meat locker with a zombie crawling on the ground.

Yeah, it looked pretty cool. Although I could barely understand the guy narrating sometimes and there was that one point where he was blatantly exploiting the level geometry to kill a bunch of zombies, but I guess that's just being a good survivor I suppose. Gotta take what you can get!

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Did anyone else who ordered from the Wii U bundle Wal-Mart.com get their game early? My copy of NSMBU came in this morning through FedEX, and the ship date on the label says November 17th. I even selected the cheapest shipping method when checking out. Oddly enough, I got an email this morning saying that my order for NSMBU has shipped today and that it'll arrive by November 29th. I'm hoping this means the system will arrive before Thanksgiving.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Did anyone else who ordered from the Wii U bundle Wal-Mart.com get their game early? My copy of NSMBU came in this morning through FedEX, and the ship date on the label says November 17th. I even selected the cheapest shipping method when checking out. Oddly enough, I got an email this morning saying that my order for NSMBU has shipped today and that it'll arrive by November 29th. I'm hoping this means the system will arrive before Thanksgiving.

Post a review of how the edge of the disc feels.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It feels smooth like butter

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I got AC3, I did get a bit giddy when I say the WiiU logo stamped on the disk :colbert:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Belle Isle Tech posted:

It feels smooth like butter

What would you rate it out of ten?

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What would you rate it out of ten?

I don't know, but It feels smoother than a Blu-ray disc, that's for sure.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Reggie was on TV last night, Mario looked nice on TV in HD and 60fps and the audience seemed to like pink Yoshis, coins, and clouds:
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/reggie-fils-aime-111612/1424403/

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Man, I really want to know what went down between EA and Nintendo over the last year. At E3 2010 they were out on stage talking about their massive support for the WiiU and now pretty much nothing. The whole Mass Effect 3 WiiU thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth, EA was hitting pretty great only a few years ago, what happened bros?
I saw some story on Madden a few weeks back and they said the timeframe for the port was like...5 months :psyduck:. Whatever the case with that Origin rumor it sounds like support for launch was a last second decision.

TheKeeper posted:

Question - is there any indication that this system launch won't be similar to the debacle that was the Wii launch where if you didn't pre-order one you couldn't find it anywhere for like six months?

Being that my interest in the system came quite late (like a week ago) I have no illusions that I will get one before Christmas, but I'm wondering if they should be regularly available shortly afterwards? Or did Nintendo short the supply again to drive up demand :tinfoil:?

I know some places have a few of the 8GB's still in stock, but I'm only interested in the 32GB system.
I didn't preorder a Wii and got it :smug:

...after driving around to god knows how many stores on launch day and giving up. A friend in NY got me one from the Nintendo Store which was replenishing regularly. The Moffitt guy from Nintendo mentioned shipping more consoles more regularly this time so hopefully it'll be easier to snag one from regular stores.

I remember Target being pretty good about supplies last time (and they've been pretty good with limited Apple stuff too since then), I think Toys R Us and Best Buy were the other big ones getting replenished decently too (presumably Walmart but there's not too many around me).

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I have a Walmart non bundle order, shipping was still showing as 21st-26th last I checked.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Anyone else in a line for midnight launch? I'm at the south Austin best buy. Still room for a few more people.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fantastic, my BestBuy is going to be doing a midnight release! And it's the one day we've had the worst rain, which isn't much right now, but I fear it's going to get worse by the evening.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

japtor posted:

Reggie was on TV last night, Mario looked nice on TV in HD and 60fps and the audience seemed to like pink Yoshis, coins, and clouds:
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/reggie-fils-aime-111612/1424403/

Jimmy is so giddy about this :3:

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
With all this talk about people so stoked to get their console tomorrow, I am getting bummed waiting til Monday. I want to go online and play with you wonderful folks tomorrow!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I was getting bummed waiting til Monday too, as I am in Puerto Rico. The plus side is I am in Puerto Rico. It just occurred to me that technically Puerto Rico would have the first release if Nintendo considers it the North American market, since it is part of the United States, and in the Atlantic time zone, one further than eastern. But I don't think I'll bother finding out. Triforce Johnson thinks he'll be the first guy with a Wii U, but it might be some random Puerto Rican dude.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
It seems my Gamestop WON"T be doing a midnight launc hand have to wait until they open tomorrow at 11. :P

Also, I decided to to try to kill myself on Black Friday to get me a free copy of New Super Mario Bros. U at Old Navy, so I preordered that as well.

Another reminder, I made an IRC chatroom for goons want/getting a WiiU

Channel: #wiiugoons
Server: synirc.net

I plan to have a bot in there to keep track of goons' WiiU names and 3DS friend codes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This seems to cover launch details for some stores:
http://www.examiner.com/article/wii-u-launch-deals-on-games-and-accessories

And the Black Friday (and/or 18-21?) game deals if you're willing to deal with hell:
Target:
Buy two, get one 50% off on all Wii U games
Free $10 gift card with Epic Mickey 2

Toys R Us:
Buy one, get one 40% off on all Wii U (and Wii) games
20% off any one regular-priced item coupon (in weekly flyer, valid 11/18-11/21)
Flingsmash w/ Wii Remote Plus - $24.99 (although I think people mentioned getting it for cheaper)

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

japtor posted:

This seems to cover launch details for some stores:
http://www.examiner.com/article/wii-u-launch-deals-on-games-and-accessories

And the Black Friday (and/or 18-21?) game deals if you're willing to deal with hell:
Target:
Buy two, get one 50% off on all Wii U games
Free $10 gift card with Epic Mickey 2

Toys R Us:
Flingsmash w/ Wii Remote Plus - $24.99 (although I think people mentioned getting it for cheaper)

There's also one for Old Navy where if you spend $40 or more, you get a free copy of New Super Mario Bros. U. I checked the Old Navy here and said they'll have like 40 copies to give away, so it might be hard to get.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I guess it pays to know people. Wifes friend works at Best Buy, she went up to buy Black Ops, asked about the Wii U and he set aside a premium for her.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Waffleopolis posted:

It seems my Gamestop WON"T be doing a midnight launc hand have to wait until they open tomorrow at 11. :P

Seems most places, EB as well, are doing 11 or 10 am openings (11 here).

Not the end of the world, system and games are paid for and all I have to do is walk in and pick them up. :)

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Oddly enough I never received a notification text for zombie u. Maybe since I got a Mario one it cancels out the message for zombie u.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weird. I got a text for my Wii U and then the one for Mario immediately after. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I really want to jump on the "You just don't get ZombiU" bandwagon but it's looking like I should wait. Doing a single swing with a single melee weapon for the entire combat-focused game does not sound fun. Tight corridors with no option to sneak past zombies sounds even less fun. It's enough to kill my hype, at least.

Here's hoping the guy was a moron who wanted L4D and got Zombie Souls. No idea why Nintendo doesn't lift the embargo solely for that game to counteract the single, negative review.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Mailer posted:

I really want to jump on the "You just don't get ZombiU" bandwagon but it's looking like I should wait. Doing a single swing with a single melee weapon for the entire combat-focused game does not sound fun. Tight corridors with no option to sneak past zombies sounds even less fun. It's enough to kill my hype, at least.

Yeah, I'm approaching the game with more caution now. People seem eager to compare it to hardcore games, but there isn't anything in the melee footage I've seen to indicate a lot of depth or nuance, even on the level of Dead Island's directional swinging.

It would be really nice if there is more to it. I'll be comfortable waiting to hear what more reviewers say, and to see what the opinions look like here after a lot of people have gotten past the initial excitement over a new game.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

I got flingsmash both in store and on their site, with pick up in store. The former let me do the b1g1 -40%, the latter was doing an additional 20% off clearance items (but I could only put one in my cart per order), so it ended up the same.

edit: I also don't remember the b1g1 40% off applying to wii u titles either.

Waffleopolis posted:

There's also one for Old Navy where if you spend $40 or more, you get a free copy of New Super Mario Bros. U. I checked the Old Navy here and said they'll have like 40 copies to give away, so it might be hard to get.

don't bother

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 18, 2012

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Destructoid just posted a neat retrospective at all the Nintendo console launches of the past. http://www.destructoid.com/watch-five-classic-nintendo-system-launch-clips-238853.phtml

Peter Main looks like he aged twenty years in the span between 1990 and 1996.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

Closer to 5 per store. They've pulled this a few years and it is a rip off and you have to go through Black Friday shopping to get it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Im downloading NSMBU, its 2 gigs and you get points back with deluxe action, so I dont see any reason not too.

Question thats probably not answerable. Since theres dedicated memory for the OS, will you be able to download a game while playing another?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There is a download manager that lets you do stuff like that, yeah.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Plus being able to play without swapping discs is a big plus, also apparently there's no install options for games as of yet, so digital download despite being barely cheaper does have a lot of advantages, the only real disadvantage being you can't trade it back.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The local game store I buy all my games from has the shittiest distributor ever who didn't get them their WiiUs in time for the launch :negative: I guess I'll have to wait a few extra days. Oddly enough, they were able to get most of the games for it, so maybe I'll pick my games up and pay the whole thing off tomorrow.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Via Kotaku, the firmware update is going live right now so Nintendo did keep their promise of having the day one update for Miiverse and eShop

Good news on eShop from IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/18/nintendos-steams-up-the-wii-u-eshop

It is like Steam or the Apple App store, in that developers can set their own prices and determine when they have sales for themselves.

greatn fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

greatn posted:

Via Kotaku, the firmware update is going live right now so Nintendo did keep their promise of having the day one update for Miiverse and eShop

Good news on eShop from IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/18/nintendos-steams-up-the-wii-u-eshop

It is like Steam or the Apple App store, in that developers can set their own prices and determine when they have sales for themselves.

Well, drat. That is downright friendly. I'm still not planning on getting a Wii U anytime soon, but it helps; and I do have a 3DS, so I'm always happy to hear Nintendo is making smart digital content decisions.

• Locked thread