Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Zookmotin posted:

There was an action RPG I played on either the SNES or PS1. I remember early in the game you find a dormant robot hidden underground. At another point in the game the bad guys interrupt a village fair (I think I remember the robot coming out from underground and surfacing at the village fair as well). The graphics and play style were similar to a games like Alundra (like Zelda but with a larger sprite).
I know this is really vague but it's all i can remember.

That sounds a lot like Wild ARMs, which had some play like Alundra but had a more typical JRPG fight mechanic (enter a battle, choose your options from a menu, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zookmotin
Oct 23, 2012
That's it! For some reason I had it in my head that the fighting was action-based rather than turn-based, this may be because I likened it so much to Alundra.
I'm going to buy it from the PlayStation Store now. Thanks very much.

Zookmotin fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 14, 2012

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
It's a great game, you'll love it - you might also want to consider Wild ARMs: Alter Code F which is a PS2 remake of the game with some new playable characters, areas, etc.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mehuyael posted:

Here you go, Stalwart.

You are the best

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
What was that original xbox game where you played as a blue super soldier? I remember you could shoot an enemy jetpack and they would go careening into the sky.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oppenheimer posted:

What was that original xbox game where you played as a blue super soldier? I remember you could shoot an enemy jetpack and they would go careening into the sky.

Rogue Trooper?

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe

Hakkesshu posted:

Rogue Trooper?

Aw jeeze that was quick. I kept thinking it was Rogue Warrior, which was also made by Rebellion.

Thanks!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I remember playing a game when I was kid that was sort of like a mix between an early space fighter sim and Descent. Similar graphics, but the missions were more open. Some had you doing strafing runs on surface targets, then flying into enemy fortresses to destroy a core-like structure with automated defenses. Another mission was a Death Star-esque trench run. It was hard as hell, but awesome at the same time.

I originally thought it was Tyrian, but then I figured out that was the name of another, different (but still awesome) game I'd forgotten about.

I'm not completely sure, but I think the shareware version came loaded onto the Duke Nukem 3D disc.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Bloody Pom posted:

I remember playing a game when I was kid that was sort of like a mix between an early space fighter sim and Descent. Similar graphics, but the missions were more open. Some had you doing strafing runs on surface targets, then flying into enemy fortresses to destroy a core-like structure with automated defenses. Another mission was a Death Star-esque trench run. It was hard as hell, but awesome at the same time.

I originally thought it was Tyrian, but then I figured out that was the name of another, different (but still awesome) game I'd forgotten about.

I'm not completely sure, but I think the shareware version came loaded onto the Duke Nukem 3D disc.

Surely not Terminal Velocity which just got added to GOG? Either that or Fury3/Hellbender.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

HoldYourFire posted:

Surely not Terminal Velocity which just got added to GOG? Either that or Fury3/Hellbender.
:aaaaa::swoon::aaaaa:

YES! That was the one! It has to be because 3DRealms published it, otherwise why would it be bundled with Duke3D? Man, now I'm on a nostalgia trip, though I'm not sure if I should pick it up. Rose-tinted glasses and all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

:aaaaa::swoon::aaaaa:

YES! That was the one! It has to be because 3DRealms published it, otherwise why would it be bundled with Duke3D? Man, now I'm on a nostalgia trip, though I'm not sure if I should pick it up. Rose-tinted glasses and all.

Terminal Velocity is a cool game that generally holds up mechanically, but it gets really repetitive real fast. Since you can get it for cheap, it's not a bad deal.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

There was this one game for the Commodore 64. It's a 2D sidescroller. You're an astronaut or something, and your sprite is pretty tiny. I think you got some kind of jetpack and have to navigate through horizontal corridors. I don't know what the goal was, but I do know that there were also enemies that gave you trouble. I think I remember a specific enemy looking like some kind of rhombus. I remember everything looking pretty crazy. The colors were all kinda violetish, and the art style made it look like the graphics were glitching out and kinda fuzzy, because everything was so tiny. The music kicked rear end. This is all I know.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Pizzatime posted:

There was this one game for the Commodore 64. It's a 2D sidescroller. You're an astronaut or something, and your sprite is pretty tiny. I think you got some kind of jetpack and have to navigate through horizontal corridors. I don't know what the goal was, but I do know that there were also enemies that gave you trouble. I think I remember a specific enemy looking like some kind of rhombus. I remember everything looking pretty crazy. The colors were all kinda violetish, and the art style made it look like the graphics were glitching out and kinda fuzzy, because everything was so tiny. The music kicked rear end. This is all I know.

When I think crazy jetpack game on the C64, I think Hopeless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXW5tRS9tjo

While searching for that video I found these which might help as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE9ipoV-18g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkInczf7RL4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yahqxS3BIs

Jetpacks were practically their own genre back in the day.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Forgedbow posted:

When I think crazy jetpack game on the C64, I think Hopeless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXW5tRS9tjo

While searching for that video I found these which might help as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE9ipoV-18g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkInczf7RL4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yahqxS3BIs

Jetpacks were practically their own genre back in the day.

Thanks for your effort, but it's not one of them. :(
What I can say is that the overall tone was a lot darker compared to Hopeless. I think there was eerie space music. The sprites, especially the player sprite were a lot smaller, maybe a 3rd of the one from the third video. And I think it wasn't as free-roaming as H.E.R.O. or the 3rd one, you were always in these long horizontal corridors. The 3rd video definitely comes closest, there was this "Is this it?" moment for a second. But then it wasn't it.
I'm sorry, maybe someone will figure it out eventually.

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009
Random shot in the dark, but maybe Scumball?

I've never actually played it, but it has some pretty kick rear end music courtesy of Tim Follins.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

So the game I'm thinking of was on an old PS1 game on a demo disc. You played as different colored guys that looked a little bit like master chief and you'd run around in a square room that would shift and flip and you had to avoid traps or else you'd get burned or spiked. Thanks.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ybrik posted:

So the game I'm thinking of was on an old PS1 game on a demo disc. You played as different colored guys that looked a little bit like master chief and you'd run around in a square room that would shift and flip and you had to avoid traps or else you'd get burned or spiked. Thanks.

That would be Blast Chamber.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Does anyone know which PS1 demo disc had Parrappa the Rappa and Jet Moto 2 on it? I'm more specifically interested in the main menu background music for nostalgia reasons.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Awesome, thanks.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

ToastyPotato posted:

Does anyone know which PS1 demo disc had Parrappa the Rappa and Jet Moto 2 on it? I'm more specifically interested in the main menu background music for nostalgia reasons.

Interactive CD Sampler 5 apparently, which sounds like it should be the name of a Chemical Brothers track.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Pizzatime posted:

Maybe Strangeloop? You definitely had weird geometrical enemies here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yAVmIQ865c

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Gromit posted:

Maybe Strangeloop? You definitely had weird geometrical enemies here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yAVmIQ865c

Not that one either. The one I remember was definitely a lot creepier and the visuals weren't as defined. It might be my fuzzy memory but the visuals just seemed like some kind of microscopic violet-greyish glitched mess. Thanks for your effort though!

Arklight
Nov 13, 2012

howdy
I am trying to think of this one game (possibly PS1) where you played as an egg and there was some sort of clock tower level. I remember running around on gears in a big open room, and I also remember a part where you have blocks falling down towards you, like tetris, but you need to climb them in order to get somewhere. Any takers?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Arklight posted:

I am trying to think of this one game (possibly PS1) where you played as an egg and there was some sort of clock tower level. I remember running around on gears in a big open room, and I also remember a part where you have blocks falling down towards you, like tetris, but you need to climb them in order to get somewhere. Any takers?

It this is not Eggs of Steel then I will be shocked.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Pizzatime posted:

Main Frame? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI_0FA682FE

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

dregan posted:

Interactive CD Sampler 5 apparently, which sounds like it should be the name of a Chemical Brothers track.

Yessss. Thank you! So many fond memories. I played the poo poo out of this disc. I think it had one or two hidden demos if you press a shoulder button and spun the squares? Sadly though, I would only go on to own only one game from this collection of demos. Cool Boarders 2.

My fondest memory was a bit of emergent gameplay with the Jet Moto 2 demo. There is a part of the map with very tall rock walls that have just enough slope to them that they can be used as an extreme half-pipe. I spent hours doing tricks off of those walls.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

This is something I found on MAME ages ago. It's like the infamous Miss World Nude '96 (e.g. Qix with nude women) except all the characters are copyrighted (Uncle Fester is selectable) and it plays the first four bars of Pretty Woman over and over on a poorly timed loop. It's hilarious and I want to be able to show it to other people. Anybody know what this is?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

BKPR posted:

This is something I found on MAME ages ago. It's like the infamous Miss World Nude '96 (e.g. Qix with nude women) except all the characters are copyrighted (Uncle Fester is selectable) and it plays the first four bars of Pretty Woman over and over on a poorly timed loop. It's hilarious and I want to be able to show it to other people. Anybody know what this is?

Your post made me curious, so I took a look through the MAME collection I had.

It's called New Fantasia.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pizzatime posted:

Not that one either. The one I remember was definitely a lot creepier and the visuals weren't as defined. It might be my fuzzy memory but the visuals just seemed like some kind of microscopic violet-greyish glitched mess. Thanks for your effort though!

Is it Phantoms of the Asteroid?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Lord Chumley posted:

Your post made me curious, so I took a look through the MAME collection I had.

It's called New Fantasia.

Awesome, thanks!

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
Late 80's/early 90's shareware platformer. You play as some kind of blond barbarian guy, and shoot some kind of blue boomerang projectile things.

I also seem to remember lots of levels with lava. It might have been an Apogee game?

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Sears Poncho posted:

Late 80's/early 90's shareware platformer. You play as some kind of blond barbarian guy, and shoot some kind of blue boomerang projectile things.

I also seem to remember lots of levels with lava. It might have been an Apogee game?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_%281991_video_game%29 Just dug this up myself about a week ago. So much nostalgia.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
If it's not that, it might be Xargon.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

Flinger posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_%281991_video_game%29 Just dug this up myself about a week ago. So much nostalgia.

loving awesome, thanks.

Goodbye, afternoon.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

This is neither a question nor an answer to a specific question. Rather, I thought I would just drop this here since this is a game I have often forgotten the name of and I figured that others may have too, since I have never seen people mention it. I think I actually asked about it in another one of these threads.

It's Pushover, the domino puzzle game featuring an Ant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzHPbo_ZPX0

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 19, 2012

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Is it Phantoms of the Asteroid?

Sadly, it's neither Main Frame nor Phantoms of the Asteroid. It definitely wasn't as generic as all the ones that were brought up. It had no googly-eyed enemies, no spikes, you couldn't even make out your character as an astronaut that much. Imagine the camera being zoomed out so far that your character was only a handful of pixels in size.

It was that weird, creepy, psychedelic adventure through fuzzy, pixelated alien-corridors of violet and grey. It will probably never be found. Thanks for the help though :unsmith:

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 19, 2012

BLCalliente
May 18, 2011
An old school adventure game that I used to have on my Amiga 1000.

You had three "lives" that were represented by three brothers (oldest, middle, youngest). You walked around on an overworld type map and could find dungeons.

Pretty vague I know, but I was really young...

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Faery Tale Adventure

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Pizzatime posted:

Sadly, it's neither Main Frame nor Phantoms of the Asteroid. It definitely wasn't as generic as all the ones that were brought up. It had no googly-eyed enemies, no spikes, you couldn't even make out your character as an astronaut that much. Imagine the camera being zoomed out so far that your character was only a handful of pixels in size.

It was that weird, creepy, psychedelic adventure through fuzzy, pixelated alien-corridors of violet and grey. It will probably never be found. Thanks for the help though :unsmith:

Dark Caves?

Video

There's also a forum topic on Lemon of games with jetpacks: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

techknight posted:

Dark Caves?

Video

There's also a forum topic on Lemon of games with jetpacks: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3408

Went through all the games from that discussion and it wasn't one of them, it's not dark caves either. I'm beginning to think there might have never been a jetpack to begin with. I'll have to go through the old floppys when I'm at my dads place the next time and google the names one-by-one if I ever want to find out I suppose. Though, as always, thank you!

e: I forgot to say that the corridors weren't rectangular at all. I recall them looking pretty organic, or at least blocky-pixely organic.

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 19, 2012

• Locked thread