Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Was it ever noted why Faith went from being a fairly ubiquitous voice in the background (she helped in the studio, right?) to her current position on a Dan-less Geek Friday? Seemed to just happen one day. Haddie better watch her step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

Was it ever noted why Faith went from being a fairly ubiquitous voice in the background (she helped in the studio, right?) to her current position on a Dan-less Geek Friday? Haddie better watch her step.

Faith had the job Haddie has now, and then she left. No idea why though.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis

Diabolik900 posted:

Faith had the job Haddie has now, and then she left. No idea why though.

Back when the Gruber thing was going down, someone posted this comment on Hacker News, which in turn quotes a (now-deleted) comment on Quora; I think it was originally on this question. That's about the only attempt at an explanation I've ever seen. It's hard not to believe that something negative went down there, though, since, other than Geek Friday (which basically exists in its own universe), it's like she never existed. Dan responding to a comment about Geek Friday on Hypercritical a few weeks ago was the first time I'd heard him even sort of acknowledge her since she disappeared from the producer role, and even there she wasn't mentioned by name.

In the same vein... it's funny, but I wince a little bit every time a host brings Gruber up. Usually Marco. Dan is professional about it, and Gruber's commentary is certainly relevant to whatever they're doing, but that whole thing was just so weird and uncomfortable and there's clearly a lot about it that we'll never really know.

I enjoy The Frequency well enough but I don't subscribe to it. I just listen live on days where I have time at work. Since it's a daily show and doesn't go in-depth on anything, it doesn't seem like the sort of show to save for later.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I didn't see it mentioned too much at the time (compared to the amount of speculation, anyway) but Gruber did actually go into his reasons for leaving in a fair amount of detail (for Gruber anyway) on The Mule Talk Show ep.2 with Adam Lisagor. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly he basically said that while he thinks that on-air Dan the broadcaster is a brilliant co-host and good guy, off-air Dan the businessman is a different fella entirely. The speculation about Faith kinda reinforces that a little.

Having said that, Gruber doesn't strike me as the easiest person for anyone to work with and a couple of fall-outs do not a bad person make. I like Dan.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

I didn't see it mentioned too much at the time (compared to the amount of speculation, anyway) but Gruber did actually go into his reasons for leaving in a fair amount of detail (for Gruber anyway) on The Mule Talk Show ep.2 with Adam Lisagor. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly he basically said that while he thinks that on-air Dan the broadcaster is a brilliant co-host and good guy, off-air Dan the businessman is a different fella entirely. The speculation about Faith kinda reinforces that a little.

Having said that, Gruber doesn't strike me as the easiest person for anyone to work with and a couple of fall-outs do not a bad person make. I like Dan.

Granted we'll probably never know the full details, but I think the way you described Gruber's comments paints Dan more negatively than what Gruber actually said. He said that they had a long-standing business disagreement, but I don't think he implied anything about Dan being hard to deal with.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Ah, ok. I'm misremembering then. That's good for Dan fans.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, to be clear, what I was referring to in terms of "a lot we'll never really know" was exactly what he meant by "business disagreement," though I'm sure that whatever it was boils down to Gruber wanting more than he was getting. I saw a comment somewhere suggesting that Monteiro offered him an ownership stake in Mule Radio, but who knows. Over and done with, either way.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
I'm a little behind and I just listened to The Florida Episode of Back to Work. It explains so much about Merlin and Dan.

"I don't mean to make light of people with substance abuse problems, but living in Florida is kind of like that. You're always recovering. You can never have not lived in Florida, that's just who you are now."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't listen to every episode, but I'm finding In Beta to be okay. I know Gina Tripani from This Week In Google already, and the other guy actually wrote an Android book so the discussion doesn't pivot all around Apple as I feel like all their other tech shows tend to. It's not exactly like a Lifehacker discussion, though it does veer into those topics occasionally. It's not entirely about being a developer, but it sometimes veers over there, too.

I pretty much subscribe to that and Old Tech News, since I remember Ihnatko as one of the better magazine columns from the 680x0 era that isn't a sycophant.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Build and Analyze is done. I liked the show for its whole run, and yet I'm happy it's going away.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, I honestly don't really mind to see it go, even though I always thought it was worth listening to.

Now if Hypercritical ever ends, that will be a god drat tragedy.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Do we know any details?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Song For The Deaf posted:

Do we know any details?

http://www.marco.org/2012/11/18/build-analyze-ending

Long story short, he thinks the shows getting stale. I can't really disagree with that.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

Song For The Deaf posted:

Do we know any details?

Sounds like a pretty straightforward "this isn't living up to my expectations anymore, time to try other stuff" amicable ending, rather than what happened with TTS.

This week's Hypercritical was awesome, though.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

Diabolik900 posted:

Now if Hypercritical ever ends, that will be a god drat tragedy.

Agreed. Hypercritical still has plenty of steam left. The recent RISC vs CISC episode was a great example. He took a news story (Apple rumored to switch MacBook Air to ARM) and then did a fun animated history of the technologies and companies involved, eventually reaching the present situation and explaining his take on it.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Dan is apparently going to record a 5by5 'State of the Union' later today.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Oh Jesus. I'm listening to the State of the Union and Hypercritical is ending too :(

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'm excited about the Crossover, but Hypercritical and Build and Analyze ending will take a big chunk out of my weekly podcast listening.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've essentially wanted The Crossover forever, and I really need to cut down on podcasts, but why does it have to be Hypercritical? I'd trade any other show for more of that.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

I would settle for even a monthly show. Pretty depressing news.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Wow, Hypercritical was the last 5by5 show I listened to; guess I'll have to find some new tech shows :sigh:

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
Ack. Hypercritical ending is a knife in my heart.

I would probably listen to a live feed of John Siracusa muttering to himself throughout the day.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Diabolik900 posted:

Oh Jesus. I'm listening to the State of the Union and Hypercritical is ending too :(

loving hell. I'm so disappointed :(

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
If Roderick on the Line ends, I won't even need to have a podcast app anymore :sigh:

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

Roderick on the Line seems to me like the sort of thing that could go on forever... but I thought the same thing about Hypercritical, too.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Bummed about Hypercritical :(. Jeez, in my head 5by5 has always been the 4 'big' hosts (Gruber, Merlin, Marco, Siracusa) talking to Dan.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 21, 2012

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I'm sad about Hypercritical ending (by far my favorite 5by5 podcast) but it looks like 5by5 itself has a bright future... lots of new shows coming up and a good stable of existing shows.

Dan did a 'state of the union' explaining everything today. There's a transcript too.

http://5by5.tv/specials/10

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

:(

At least he confirmed he's not done with OS X reviews. And we may get one more Siracusa County episode.

Stutes fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 18, 2012

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The Razing of Siracusa County

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Well, this is a sad day.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
We really need someone to change the title of this thread.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

I listened to 45 minutes of Merlin talking about X-men again this week and it's Hypercritical that's stopping? Noooooooooo

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
Of the remaining 5by5 shows, only In Beta has consistently entertained me. Good chemistry between the hosts and a nice diversion from the all Apple all the time alternatives.

I will glance at Amplified, Systematic, and Mac Power Users every week, but I only listen if the topic/guest interests me.

The new film/comics shows feel off to me. Like the people hosting them aren't at the same level in the film and comics world that Marco, Siracusa, and Gruber were at in the Mac world.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Critical Path is still good, but has suffered since Dan stopped co-hosting it.

Horace already has a book and an upcoming conference, he may take the show private or to a paid model.

Back to Work is the only anchor show for me.

The Frequency is fun, but just that, fun. It's good live, but pointless recorded.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I felt motivated to put pen to paper:

EDIT: VVV Nothing is so perfect.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 21, 2012

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

Tenterhooks posted:

Ahaha, that's perfect.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Tenterhooks posted:

love it.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Tenterhooks posted:

EDIT: VVV Nothing is so perfect.

Nice!

I really liked the first episode of The Crossover, it reminded me of the Kindacritical episode that Merlin, Marco, and Dan did.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
That is fantastic. Maybe you should message 5by5 and see if they'd want to sell it as a poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

The Crossover was great. That was an interesting and pretty thorough discussion, especially considering that they came in with no preconceived topic. I don't know if he talked about it on earlier episodes of B&A, but I enjoyed listening to Marco talk about his days at Tumblr since he usually doesn't, at least these days.

I'm excited that Quit! also starts on Friday. Curious to hear how a call-in show goes...

• Locked thread