Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Cardboard Box posted:

Here's a short video they just recently put out talking about the environment and ecosystem of the island. Not much we didn't already know, but there's a couple weapons we haven't seen and it sure looks pretty.

Holy poo poo, you can set BEARS on people! I AM THE JUNGLE.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The compact cars were especially laughable: Some pathetic worm comes to a skidding halt and performs a three-point-turn so he can chase you down, park his car, and get out of his vehicle. I don't think I've ever had a driver get past the three-point-turn without dying.

See I always saw the compact cars as very very VERY UPSET poindexter-ish types not happy with the state of your driving.

Or they shot at me cos I picked the whiter-than-white ex-IRA guy. Racists. Can't they see he has a bad enough time in seth-effrica as is it with sunburn and all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm starting to find it a bit odd that we're only a couple of weeks from release and Ubi have said almost nothing about the map editor, which was one of the things that kept bringing me back to FC2. There've been rumours of a Timesplitters-style single player mode, where you can build a map and then place objectives and bots on it, but nothing official.

One of the rumoured item sets is also 'Airport'. Great, expect 376 lovely versions of MW2's Terminal to go up within a day...

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Payndz posted:

There've been rumours of a Timesplitters-style single player mode, where you can build a map and then place objectives and bots on it, but nothing official.

That would be really cool, but I'd think we'd have heard about that by now if that was a thing in the game.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I read (in youtube comments so god knows where they got it from) that vehicles won't be available in the map editor which would suck.

I really, really hope that's true about it being timesplitters style because that would be amazing. I got a little bit addicted to making maps in FC2 and then just running around in them alone, if I could play against bots I don't think I'd even play anything else again.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Payndz posted:

I'm starting to find it a bit odd that we're only a couple of weeks from release and Ubi have said almost nothing about the map editor, which was one of the things that kept bringing me back to FC2. There've been rumours of a Timesplitters-style single player mode, where you can build a map and then place objectives and bots on it, but nothing official.

One of the rumoured item sets is also 'Airport'. Great, expect 376 lovely versions of MW2's Terminal to go up within a day...

Single player? More like No Russian...

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Its good to have a game with as broad of a color palette as this. I am hoping that it will play out like a mesh of Far Cry 1 and 2 where guys don't take 10 bullets to the chest to drop. If there is anything that Gibbed's tools helped was changing the hit modifier damage.

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species
Any word on whether this will have the famous ubisoft always-on always-connected drop you instantly if your modem hiccups copy protection?

Because my internet is notoriously droppy.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

vektuz posted:

Any word on whether this will have the famous ubisoft always-on always-connected drop you instantly if your modem hiccups copy protection?

Because my internet is notoriously droppy.

I think Ubisoft said that they dropped that system in favour of a 1 time activation when you first install it.

Another thing to note is that of course this has disappeared from the UK steam store. loving retail.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
FYI:

quote:

Minimum Specs
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6700/AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ or equivalent dual-core
Video: Nvidia GTX8800/AMD Radeon HD2900 or equivalent 512MB DirectX 9c card
Memory: 4GB

Recommended Specs
CPU: Intel Core i3-530/AMD Phenom II X2 565 or equivalent quad-core
Video: Nvidia GTX480/AMD Radeon HD5770 or equivalent 1024MB DirectX 11 card
Memory: 4GB

Hi-Performance Specs
Video: Nvidia GTX680/AMD Radeon HD7970 or equivalent shiny new DirectX 11 card
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K/AMD Bulldozer FX4150 or equivalent quad-core
Memory: 8GB

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Woohoo, I'm in between Recommended and Hi Performance! Closer to recommended though. Have they given an estimate on the square mileage of the single player map?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

drat, I guess I need to get some more ram. I only have around 3.5 Gigs.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Woohoo, I'm in between Recommended and Hi Performance! Closer to recommended though. Have they given an estimate on the square mileage of the single player map?

I don't think they've said it in square miles, but they've estimated it's about ten times larger than the game world of Far Cry 2.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

drat, I guess I need to get some more ram. I only have around 3.5 Gigs.
Those requirements are probably way overestimated, remember, this game will have to be able to run on consoles too.

However, RAM is cheap these days and an upgrade to 8GB is a good idea (if you're not on 64bit, you should upgrade!).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

gibbed posted:

Those requirements are probably way overestimated, remember, this game will have to be able to run on consoles too.

However, RAM is cheap these days and an upgrade to 8GB is a good idea (if you're not on 64bit, you should upgrade!).

Yeah, once I do my next overhaul, I will probably change my CPU to 64 bit. I have been kind of hesitant to because of all the problems I used to hear about 64 bit processors and older games.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cardboard Box posted:

I don't think they've said it in square miles, but they've estimated it's about ten times larger than the game world of Far Cry 2.

Really? I always thought FC2's world was pretty goddamned big. Big enough, at least. Not a whole lot going on in it, but still big.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Far Cry 2 wasn't really that big, it was just that you had so much terrain in the way and so many checkpoints to get through that doing simple poo poo took forever.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

blackguy32 posted:

Far Cry 2 wasn't really that big, it was just that you had so much terrain in the way and so many checkpoints to get through that doing simple poo poo took forever.

Looking it up, it seems that--when compared to other, similar sandbox games (which are all pretty large)--it's about average with an area of 31 square miles. Which is still pretty loving big.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Here's hoping for more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HmDUsDykdM

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Cardboard Box posted:

Jesus. So I guess we are talking Just Cause 2 scale here? I'm such a sucker for these kinds of games. I am almost done with Saints Row 3, and I will probably go back to JC2, but this game might pull me away again.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/far-cry-3/achievements/

There is plenty of spoilers here obviously, but honestly there seems to be a ton of content in the game. It seems they're going for a first person tropical Red Dead Redemption.

Which I'm 110% okay with.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I hope for a pretty long single-player that I can sink at least two dozen hours into. That's my hope.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Question! Will we be able to go prone in this game? This is very important.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Question! Will we be able to go prone in this game? This is very important.

No, but you can slide. That's all I got.

Speaking of which, I've been trying to find the skill trees in the game but it seems nobody knows anything about them aside from their name.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Cardboard Box posted:

I hope for a pretty long single-player that I can sink at least two dozen hours into. That's my hope.

I would be very surprised if you can't play for at least that much time. My only worry is if it's going to get repetitive or not.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wrong post

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gibbed posted:

Welp. Regardless, I just ordered parts to upgrade my system to probably the halfway point between Recommended and Hi Performance.
  • Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
  • MSI Z77A-GD55 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
  • Antec Three Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
  • 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) [16GB]
  • 2x COUGAR CF-V12HB Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing Silent Cooling Fan [intake]
  • COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
  • Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound
After I RMA my GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC (2GB) due to failed fans, I should be set for Far Cry 3. I'm not sure how much better a GTX 680 and i7-2600K system would perform. I'd wager not by much though... unless Far Cry 3 takes advantage of PCIe 3.0's extra bandwidth.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

A GTX 680 and i7 would probably be overkill. I think you'll be fine. :)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've really, really enjoyed Far Cry 2 since buying it this summer, warts and all. I'm mostly mad at Ubi for locking down any kind of modding, because if there is anything that Morrowind, Thief, or the Arma series can tell us, it's that modding is what gives a great game some serious legs. Sure, the first several mods would turn off malaria and guns breaking and anything else that prevents FC2 from being anything more than a bog standard shooter. But then there would be mods that bring in a rusty kind of co-op, introduce dozens of different missions, a faction system that matters, whole new land masses, who knows what else.

Big opportunity missed, just so they could keep pirates at bay. Good job there Ubi.

The few posts mentioning the game editor made me curious, and the simplicity and power behind this thing is stunning. I think I played with it for all of an hour tonight and I had learned it and created detailed desert, swamp, island, and jungle maps. It reminds me of Joint Ops, the way you can just drop structures and flora down anywhere, set the weather, and completely alter the whole business with the twiddling of a few knobs. (Except NILE was a pain in the rear end to use.) Why does Arma have all the armor and AI scripting, and this engine have all the smooth, visceral action and awesome visuals?

And there's another thing that would have been available with a game more open to modding: multiplayer game modes other than deathmatch and CTF. Why can't you drop AI bots in this damned thing? Why can't I assault a heavily armed fortress with my friends? All this power, and all we get is deathmatch and CTF multi.

Far Cry 2 is worse than a bad game, it was a good game that could have been great, maybe even a great game that could have been transcendent.

e: back on topic: I hope FC3 has modding support and that the main game is super nifty. I don't like the always-visible map/compass thing already, I can tell you that. Doesn't anyone like getting lost in video games anymore?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

I'm mostly mad at Ubi for locking down any kind of modding
You're wrong. Modding was not locked down at all (if you're meaning they actively developed the engine to prevent modding). I didn't make my breakthrough until several years after its release, but that's unrelated.

doctorfrog posted:

e: back on topic: I hope FC3 has modding support and that the main game is super nifty. I don't like the always-visible map/compass thing already, I can tell you that. Doesn't anyone like getting lost in video games anymore?
Built-in support for modding in Far Cry 3? Not going to happen. Now, that's not going to stop me. :)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

gibbed posted:

You're wrong. Modding was not locked down at all (if you're meaning they actively developed the engine to prevent modding). I didn't make my breakthrough until several years after its release, but that's unrelated.
Built-in support for modding in Far Cry 3? Not going to happen. Now, that's not going to stop me. :)

I fully and gladly accept being wrong if you're right. But my understanding was that the game assets were all scrambled and that it's impossible to add to the base game in any way. The only mods I have been able to find do this: unpack some of those game assets, among which are bits and pieces of scattered and scrambled files, editing a single configuration XML file, and zipping the whole mess back up, never really sure what you're leaving behind.

I accuse them of packing the game itself so that it can't be modded, the engine, I have no idea. Please share what I'm missing! Can I storm an AI-packed fortress with my friends?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

I fully and gladly accept being wrong if you're right. But my understanding was that the game assets were all scrambled and that it's impossible to add to the base game in any way. The only mods I have been able to find do this: unpack some of those game assets, among which are bits and pieces of scattered and scrambled files, editing a single configuration XML file, and zipping the whole mess back up, never really sure what you're leaving behind.
That was the initial modding, yeah. I made a breakthrough on the fcb format which defines basically every entity in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MTVXv_aoNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KOczi2DHFw

Note that the crossbow was a completely new addition to the game (aside from reusing existing assets). Unfortunately I couldn't drum up enough interest into modding Far Cry 2 three years after it came out, there was some minor stuff that happened, but eh.

This same research and tools should be applicable to Far Cry 3 once it comes out, and I plan to get that going as soon as possible.

doctorfrog posted:

I accuse them of packing the game itself so that it can't be modded, the engine, I have no idea. Please share what I'm missing! Can I storm an AI-packed fortress with my friends?
In Far Cry 2? I don't know, I didn't research the multiplayer stuff but I really doubt those kinds of entities are synced. I'll be happy to research it for Far Cry 3.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

gibbed posted:

In Far Cry 2? I don't know, I didn't research the multiplayer stuff but I really doubt those kinds of entities are synced. I'll be happy to research it for Far Cry 3.

It probably is if its including that coop mode.

I tried using your tools before to up the respawn times for guard posts but I couldn't see if there were any relevant code in the lua scripts :(

Was most of the engine in that DUNIA dll?

EDIT: Can't wait to see what you do with Far Cry 3!

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

ShinAli posted:

It probably is if its including that coop mode.

I tried using your tools before to up the respawn times for guard posts but I couldn't see if there were any relevant code in the lua scripts :(

Was most of the engine in that DUNIA dll?

EDIT: Can't wait to see what you do with Far Cry 3!
The respawn stuff was due to how the engine unloaded chunks as you got farther away from them and didn't persist state.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

doctorfrog posted:

The only mods I have been able to find do this: unpack some of those game assets, among which are bits and pieces of scattered and scrambled files, editing a single configuration XML file, and zipping the whole mess back up, never really sure what you're leaving behind.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3421214 (requires archives upgrade)

I'm not sure if gibbed ever posted about his fcb breakthrough.

That said, I think Nexus needs to be lobbied for a Far Cry Nexus if we're going to have a remotely nice modding scene for Far Cry 3.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Adraeus posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3421214 (requires archives upgrade)

I'm not sure if gibbed ever posted about his fcb breakthrough.

That said, I think Nexus needs to be lobbied for a Far Cry Nexus if we're going to have a remotely nice modding scene for Far Cry 3.
That thread was entirely about the FCB breakthrough. Well, mostly.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gibbed posted:

"I don't remember reading anything about how to mod in your own mortar shooting crossbow" is what I'm saying.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

gibbed posted:

Did you manage to fix the respawning checkpoints?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

A GTX 680 and i7 would probably be overkill. I think you'll be fine. :)

Yeah, even with those crazy requirements, I really doubt an i7 will give you that much more performance over a good i5

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

TescoBag posted:

Did you manage to fix the respawning checkpoints?
No, it's a limitation of how the engine is designed. You can mitigate it by making it less annoying to pass through checkpoints which have just respawned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Even though I never finished FC2, I am still very interested by this game.

• Locked thread