Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munin
Nov 14, 2004

karmicknight posted:

That should be our unstated goal, Crimea for historical Astrakhan.

Also, I really like the Borelia Union in North American, let's hope it can stand the Mexican tide.

I agree with this.

In addition I do see Murad having some sympathy for the Liberal side and we did remain neutral in this conflict. I think our other aim should be as a voice of moderation to ensure we don't end up with huge reparations on one side or the other or other things which will cement in Versaille style tensions.

[e]As an aside, we should try and steadily liberalise over the course of the game as that also reduces our militancy in batches. We would also need to increase consciousness and plurality steadily to minimise any reactionary backlash.

I really don't see how we could maintain a reactionary state (which can have issues militancy wise) and keep our slew of minorities happy.

Overall our best hope it to remain a prosperous and reasonably peaceful nation. Surely that can't be that hard. :ohdear:

Munin fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

A pity, I was hoping the monarchs would be pushed into the new world.

e: Maybe the Scandanavian monarchs fled to Borealia? Though they wouldn't rule there.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Hang on now... Azerbaijan didn't join in this latest clusterfuck between Russia and Europe, so how are we on the losing side? Unless Tunga's little jaunt across the border is considered a part of this conflict?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

TLM3101 posted:

Hang on now... Azerbaijan didn't join in this latest clusterfuck between Russia and Europe, so how are we on the losing side? Unless Tunga's little jaunt across the border is considered a part of this conflict?

In the sense that we're part of the reactionary establishment, and yeah that we got beat trying to weaken the revolutionary regime.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Wiz posted:

In the sense that we're part of the reactionary establishment, and yeah that we got beat trying to weaken the revolutionary regime.

So, no hope to be the neutral third part that could preach tolerance and acceptance, then. Thanks for nothing, Tunga. :argh:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

vyelkin posted:

This is a really cool setup now, but it's looking grim for Azerbaijan. Now that their western borders are entirely revolutionary client states, the number one place for Russia to expand their own borders looks like us, and Europeans being Europeans it's likely the Great Powers will just hand over a bunch of our territory without asking us. Maybe Murad could declare Azerbaijan a revolutionary state and join the winning team?

Actually, Hungary and Bulgaromania are still resolutely unrevolutionary. But I'm not sure if the Revolution will still be an export commodity following the Congress.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TLM3101 posted:

So, no hope to be the neutral third part that could preach tolerance and acceptance, then. Thanks for nothing, Tunga. :argh:

If we were a great power we might be able to assume that position, but to European rulers, we're a second-rate power at best and a barely-civilized steppe horde with lots of minorities begging to be freed at worst.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Pakled posted:

If we were a great power we might be able to assume that position, but to European rulers, we're a second-rate power at best and a barely-civilized steppe horde with lots of minorities begging to be freed at worst.

We're just outside the great powers. Since we're not European Christians we get an automatic malus but we're not quite as far down the totem pole as you make it out in your post.

vv The Ottomans start off V2 as a Great Power. We didn't. :haw:

Munin fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 18, 2012

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
We're basically the Ottomans IRL and the Crimean war just finished. We're hosed.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I say we just drop the whole business with monarchy and jot up a revolutionary constitution. Join with Russia and bring a new, good job to the world. And hopefully get our jews back.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

I say we just drop the whole business with monarchy and jot up a revolutionary constitution. Join with Russia and bring a new, good job to the world. And hopefully get our jews back.
And surrender to those filthy revolutionaries? I think a parliament would be just fine to handle the boring things, the King has railroads to built!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Realistically Tunga's war would have been considered part of the overarching war against the Revolution. We are definitely on the losing side here. We've already paid part of our price though, in the form of Astrakhan.

Anyway flags!

Defaultish/Republican ones (most toying with colour combinations of the flags of Christiana, Cascadia and Vestland):

Communist

Fascist

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Hot drat, I was expecting the Russians to lose. Maybe this world will be better than the Hohenzollern LP :unsmith:

I've got a flag made for Borealia, but Imgur is being an rear end right now.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

YF-23 posted:

Anyway flags!

This one makes me thing "Boreala for iPad". Have you considered rounding the corners a little?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

YF-23 posted:

Fascist

Should just be a black maple leaf at a 45 degree angle on a red field.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I was kinda rooting for Poland to lead a suicidal charge against the Revolutionary Russia, but coming out of the war as a democracy is pretty cool too, plus they're still independent so they're doing better than IRL Poland at this point :unsmith:.

TildeATH posted:

I really want a fascist flag to use maple leaf imagery because it is the best nonthreatening nationalistic symbol they could use. "CHECK OUT HOW BADASS WE ARE HERE'S A MOTHERFUCKING MAPLE LEAF :black101:"

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Have we got any maple leaf link in our alt history nation? Should we try beavers and fur caps?

[e] The maple leaf is a really nice symbol though.

vv We need a triskelion style maple leaf...

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

With Europe heading for an east versus west system, I can't help but think that an HoI/AoD/DH stage wouldn't follow organically. Assuming that this status quo hang around for another 80 years first, though.

YF-23 posted:

Communist

If we're going to use the maple leaf, I feel like the Pearson Pennant would be more appropriate as a symbol of the union of three countries.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
The European powers can award Azerbaijani territory to Russia whether we attend or not, just by telling Russia "we recognize Crimea as yours and will not intervene if you take it." Going to the conference, even as a second-rate power, gives us some recognition as an international power and a slim chance to actually change how the outcome affects us. Even if we don't manage it, and lose an outlying territory in the negotiations, we will gain by having the border at least nominally ratified as permanent by the international community, so Russia will be less likely to keep coming back for more. Which--let's face it--they could easily do and we would be unable to effectively resist.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Definitely going with trading Crimea for our Jews. We can't even build railroads to it, but we can build railroads to Astrakhan!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

TildeATH posted:

How are these?

FadingChord posted:

If we're going to use the maple leaf, I feel like the Pearson Pennant would be more appropriate as a symbol of the union of three countries.

Oh that's really nice.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 18, 2012

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My take on the communist Borealia flag:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

FadingChord posted:

I support this too. Would help differentiate it a bit more from OTL Canada's.

Also Russia continues to be one of the most wonderful things about this world, I can only hope that our negotiations go well with them and we can get our Jews back.

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Are the new governments of Poland and Scandinavia subject to change during the conference? I hope not. I'm wishing that the odds are to be evened a bit more in the Revolutionary's favour.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

srb posted:

Definitely going with trading Crimea for our Jews. We can't even build railroads to it, but we can build railroads to Astrakhan!
Look at this luddite, we should clearly see the Strait of Kerch as an opportunity to build a majestic bridge to the Crimea :wotwot:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 18, 2012

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Come back with our Jews or not at all Murad! :argh:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

paragon1 posted:

Come back with our Jews or on them! :argh:

Fixed that for you.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Murad is going to get something else entirely out of the conference, and the appalling wars of the next few years will unfold against the backdrop of Murad and the Russian President's secret passionate double life.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

my dad posted:

Fixed that for you.

I know what you were trying to do there, but it doesn't make any sense.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Newest Sultans of Azerbaijan, I don't think I need to inform about the huge filesize anymore!
http://www.imgnook.com/IQmKqo.jpg

In case you were wondering about the name of the war, I figure these would be the Revolutionary Wars in this world:

German Revolution (1786)
Birth of the German Republic

War of the First Coalition (1786 - Bavaria and Holy Roman Empire) Won by Germany
War of the Second Coalition (1792 - Poland, Azerbaijan and Sweden) Won by Germany
War of the Third Coalition (1796 - Burgundy and remaining German minors) Won by Germany

Russian Revolution (1805)

Russian Civil War (1805-1810) Won by Russian Revolutionaries.
Birth of the Russian Republic.

War of the Fourth Coalition (1805-1808 Poland, Burgundy, Bavaria, Bohemia and Denmark) Won by the Coalition.
End of the German Republic.

War of the Fifth Coalition (1810 - Poland and Sweden) Won by Russia.
Birth of the Baltic Republic
Birth of the Finnish Republic

War of the Sixth Coalition (1835-1837 - Azerbaijan and Zhen Empire) Won by Russia
War of the Seventh Coalition (1837 - Kingdom of Germany) Won by Russia
War of the Eighth Coalition (1845-1848 - Poland, Sweden, Bavaria, Germany, Burgundy, Great Britain, Norway, Spain) Won by Russia
Birth of the Polish Republic
Birth of the Scandinavian Republic

Moscow Conference (1848)

Revolutionary Countries (1848):

Russian Republic
Polish Republic
Scandinavian Republic
Finnish Republic
Baltic Republic

Japan (?) It's a dictatorship but allied to the Revolutionary countries and it might be a republic in the name due to it's long history as one?

Basically no Napoleon-like figure to cock it up in the end. Or if you want to think it another way, Russia is the Napoleon in this case - they destroyed the original revolution but a way scarier thing appeared in the horizon and actually won. And I guess there is a brilliant Russian general that hosed up the Reactionaries’ poo poo hard (Iosif Mansurov from the Rulers of Russia in my head). So the Revolutionaries get the say in the post-war peace conference.

In other words the timeline in this LP sounds pretty drat awesome.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 18, 2012

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I don't think that Japan is too out of place in Russia's coalition. Even as a dictatorship, it's likely viciously hostile to traditional monarchy due to its history.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Here are some Borealia flags, for no governments in particular. If you want symbolism, I took the colors to represent Christainia (Red), Vestland (Green) and Cascadia (Blue), but I just tried to incorporate as much of the color schemes of the old flags as possible.

Nordic cross:

(Designed to reflect the geographical borders of the old nations: Christiania in the northeast, Vestland in the south, Cascadia in the far west)

Pearson Pennant designs:

Three leaves for the three old nations.

The three leaves, colored. I put Vestland (Blue) in the center because the Green and Red right next to each other looked like rear end.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Patter Song posted:

I don't think that Japan is too out of place in Russia's coalition. Even as a dictatorship, it's likely viciously hostile to traditional monarchy due to its history.

Yeah up till this point Russia just couldn't afford to be picky about its allies, and a proto-fascist dictatorship is at least a republic and in a world where monarchists are desperately flinging themselves against republics in an attempt to restore order and monarchy, it pays to have all the republics stick together.

thsgrn
May 6, 2007
The design I'd go with for the maple leaf for Borealia is one maple leaf with three colors - each of the three "sections" a different color. but my art skills are nonexistent.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Japan's also probably allied with Russia because they both have interests in keeping Zhen from getting too powerful.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

DrProsek posted:

Yeah up till this point Russia just couldn't afford to be picky about its allies, and a proto-fascist dictatorship is at least a republic and in a world where monarchists are desperately flinging themselves against republics in an attempt to restore order and monarchy, it pays to have all the republics stick together.
I dunno, revolutionary France wasn't exactly a huge fan of the oligarchic republics in Italy.

e; Although I guess Japan is stronger and Russia have had a few more decades to learn realpolitik.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 18, 2012

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Uhh. So. What does being "Revolutionary" mean after almost 100 years of the first revolution? It's a strange strange world they live in.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Snipee posted:

Uhh. So. What does being "Revolutionary" mean after almost 100 years of the first revolution? It's a strange strange world they live in.

I guess it means that you are pro-Revolution against Monarchy, or in regards to country, it means that the country was born out of a revolution.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

I guess it means that you are pro-Revolution against Monarchy, or in regards to country, it means that the country was born out of a revolution.

I'm willing to bet that our Communist analogue in this will arise out of antipathy towards how "revolutionary" means absolutely nothing in a political sense after so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
We drat Russia is kind of kicking a lot of rear end right now...So any chance of us getting our Jews back is we become a constitutional monarchy with an elected parliament?

• Locked thread