Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally finished moving all my data from both Wiis, but I still can't get the Wii U to regonize my Western Digitial external hard-drive. It might be because it has some worthless feature that keeps a "cd" to install the driver, but I can't find a way to purge it from the hard-drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Boten Anna posted:

I'm really tempted to get Assassin's Creed for the U, is it pretty much the same as the ps3/etc. versions or is there anything different?

I haven't played any AC before but going around killing white people sounds rad.

It's basically the same as the other versions, but it's not a great game anyway. Check some random pages of the game thread to see what people (including me) are complaining about. Lotsa wasted potential, unfun missions, janky as hell(less so after a patch but still pretty janky), core mechanics go unexplained, and the side stuff has no real purpose. If you really want it, wait until it gets cheaper, at least. The multiplayer is really fun, but will there be enough people on the U to keep it going?

Not trying to ruin anyone's fun, just wanna warn any potential buyers. I got the PS3 version for full price and regret it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bluegoon posted:

OK, this loving xbox froze mid-show for the last loving time, can the WiiU play videos from something like Tversity? I'm in South Africa, no Netflix, Hulu, all that white people poo poo is barred from usage because Africa. Is there any way to stream media hosted on a PC or portable drive to this machine?
No, just get another xbox.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Finally finished moving all my data from both Wiis, but I still can't get the Wii U to regonize my Western Digitial external hard-drive. It might be because it has some worthless feature that keeps a "cd" to install the driver, but I can't find a way to purge it from the hard-drive.

This might help

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/passport-vcd.html

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So as a heads up to everybody, looks like Club Nintendo's registration survey for the Wii U expires in 7 days

Better got on that so you don't miss your coins!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

If they added dnls or whatever it's called to the wiiu I'd probably never buy another Sony product again. Until Persona 6 or Final Fantasy 16 anyway.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, after just three short hours of moving an SD card back and forth half a dozen times between systems, re-downloading about 50 games and apps, having to hit OK on a dozen error screens, and pulling the power cord once after a hard-lock, most of my stuff is on my Wii U.

The GamePad drains quick. It's at less than 50% from just me setting up my Wii U.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So I promised some goons a temp report on AC3 but, my kid were10x in love with WiiU then I thought they would be. We played the luigis ghost hurt Nintendoland A for like 2 hours and the rest of the day was other NL games ans NSMBU WORLD 1 which is how far we got before going back to NL. I got 10 min of nano assault in there which was really fun. Built NL was bulk of my day. Not at all in a bad way mind you. Didnt even put the A.C.3 disk in.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Out of curiosity, I was able to play a couple of NintendoLand games away from the TV. Pikmin, Balloon Fight, and Donkey Kong. And of course you can browse the plaza.

Pikmin is definitely my favorite game of the batch because of the whole Ys-like "bash the poo poo out of everything until it dies and then pick up the goodies" nature to it. It has 16 levels too, and has extra challenges on subsequent playthroughs like time trials.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

So today was more or less a wash with the Wii U. Turns out the connection issue I was having where the console refused to connect with my router was fixed by manually inputting the IP address and DNS settings. Between that and the 2 hours spent transferring my Wii data (complete with 2 hardlocks that I had to unplug the console to fix), I haven't actually managed to play anything on it yet. I'm pretty glad that the GamePad can still be used while in the charging dock, because otherwise it would have been a lot more annoying carrying it back and forth between my living room and my bedroom where my computer was to check my internet settings.

However, I did manage to play a bit of NSMBU at a coworker's place, and I can safely say the game is just as fun if not moreso in the realm of trolling other players.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Xenomorph posted:

The GamePad drains quick. It's at less than 50% from just me setting up my Wii U.

Have you tried lowering the pad brightness, and turning on power saver? I've gotten quite a bit more battery life after taking the brightness off max.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Those connection issues seem to be common, but just manually entering your details seems to fix most of them. I'm sure it'll end up being mentioned a million times in this thread.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

So the wii u seems to hate being turned off.

Every time I power it of, I can't power it on unless I power drain it and let it sit for a while.

What. The. gently caress.

edit: and now it won't power on period. A-W-E-S-O-M-E

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How does the 10% off thing for Deluxe Editions kick into effect? I went to the site and it says it doesn't start until December, but there's no information on how to opt into it (maybe it just knows it's a Deluxe because of the serial registered to the Club Nintendo account?

Also, does the Wii data transfer work if the Wii is modded to hell and back?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Liku posted:

How does the 10% off thing for Deluxe Editions kick into effect? I went to the site and it says it doesn't start until December, but there's no information on how to opt into it (maybe it just knows it's a Deluxe because of the serial registered to the Club Nintendo account?

From what I read it will leave homebrew channel related stuff alone.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Liku posted:

Dunno about the discounts yet, but you can totally move data from a homebrew Wii to the Wii U. I removed the HBC before hand through.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen
This thread moves so drat fast.

I really hope that this guy who supposedly got into the debug menu before it was patched really happened and that Yoshi's Island Wii U is really in the works :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500411
(I know this was already posted a few pages ago, but here is a relevant link).

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Woot. The blinking light of doom is now a "thing" for the Wii U.

GOD. loving. DAMNIT!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Runaway Five posted:

This thread moves so drat fast.

I really hope that this guy who supposedly got into the debug menu before it was patched really happened and that Yoshi's Island Wii U is really in the works :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500411
(I know this was already posted a few pages ago, but here is a relevant link).
That guy is totally loving with naive people. I don't think it's remotely true.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
Blinking light of doom? LAME!

We will never get a console launch ever again for the rest of mankind that the systems just "work."

The Wii had a potential bricking system update at launch.
The Xbox360 had the red ring of death.
The PS3 had something right?
Now we've got the Wii-U blinking light of doom.

I know hardware is difficult to make, but get your poo poo together console makers!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Runaway Five posted:

Blinking light of doom? LAME!

We will never get a console launch ever again for the rest of mankind that the systems just "work."

The Wii had a potential bricking system update at launch.
The Xbox360 had the red ring of death.
The PS3 had something right?
Now we've got the Wii-U blinking light of doom.

I know hardware is difficult to make, but get your poo poo together console makers!

The PS3's is a constant yellow light that means the hardware is utterly borked.

edit: VVVVVVV

A few duds are pretty likely when you consider they're trying to get as many units ready as possible before the launch date.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 19, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Defective hardware is one of the known risks of early adoption, alongside "long waits in line", "the post-launch drought", and "buying the Neo Geo Pocket Color"

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Woot. The blinking light of doom is now a "thing" for the Wii U.

GOD. loving. DAMNIT!

Holy poo poo. That second link is prime gamers.txt material.

Some 13-year-old idiot in the second link posted:

This also proves that Homosexboxuals SUFFERED in agony from RROD'd 360s. M$ non-lubed fat cock up Homosexboxual rear end in a top hat gotta hurt.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Got it to power on. Pulled the disc out. Powered it back off. Blinking loving light.

Question: When you all power off your Wii U, does it just suddenly cut off? The Wii, 360, and PS3 fade to black when powered off, but my Wii U just cuts out like my tv just suddenly lost signal.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/WiiMode

Smash Stack seems to work for Wii mode. HackMii Installer does not.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I haven't really paid attention to what the TV does but the signal just freezes and cuts out on my gamepad.

I wonder what causes the blinking light problem in the first place. I doubt overheating would be a thing after just one day.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Got it to power on. Pulled the disc out. Powered it back off. Blinking loving light.

Question: When you all power off your Wii U, does it just suddenly cut off? The Wii, 360, and PS3 fade to black when powered off, but my Wii U just cuts out like my tv just suddenly lost signal.

Dude, I am so sorry, that is horrible! I know you want to go play your new Wii-U, but if it makes you feel any better, Nintendo is kickass about fixing hardware problems that are their own fault. They'll probably even cover shipping to get you a replacement system. I remember them being really kind with the bricked Wii's from the first system update that bricked some consoles.

Where did you buy your system from? You could also potentially return the system to the store when they get more units in if they have a good return policy.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
I'm going to take a boat ride to Japan and give Mr. Nintendo a piece of my mind!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Gonna let it sit until the morning just in case its overheating. I checked to make sure the fan is working and the console isn't hot to the touch. Not really sure WTF. Prolly just a bum console.

I got it at Best Buy so I'll see if they can work something out. If not, off to Nintendo.

I know there are always chances for shaky hardware poo poo on launch. Just sucks it finally happened to me.

Also I just bought a game from the Wii U e-shop because I couldn't use the funds from my 3DS e-shop and it looks like that I can't download to another Wii U console so all around good job nintendo.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

I haven't really paid attention to what the TV does but the signal just freezes and cuts out on my gamepad.

I wonder what causes the blinking light problem in the first place. I doubt overheating would be a thing after just one day.

Could just be bad chips. I imagine Nintendo has pretty good QA but sometimes things slip through. My only other thought on the causes of bricked consoles this early is shipping damage, user error or a hosed firmware update but it doesn't seem like this is the case for blinking-light-syndrome.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Gonna let it sit until the morning just in case its overheating. I checked to make sure the fan is working and the console isn't hot to the touch. Not really sure WTF. Prolly just a bum console.

I got it at Best Buy so I'll see if they can work something out. If not, off to Nintendo.

I know there are always chances for shaky hardware poo poo on launch. Just sucks it finally happened to me.

Also I just bought a game from the Wii U e-shop because I couldn't use the funds from my 3DS e-shop and it looks like that I can't download to another Wii U console so all around good job nintendo.

I would imagine that if you send it back to Nintendo they'll be able to switch the account over.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Well Nintendo should be able to. I'm talking more about it I luck out and can exchange it. Then I'm pretty boned.

I just want to play the Marios and jump on the goombas with the help of bloshi, gloshi, and froshi.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Playing a HD Mario game with a lot of elements from past games, such as the amazing world map, on my large high-end TV is a serious amount of fulfillment for me. I first played a Mario game in the mid-late 80s when I got my NES as a kid. The rich colors and crisp look of this game is fantastic for me.

I actually am getting some serious feelings harkening back to when I was a kid and staying up all night playing Super Mario World on my SNES 20 years ago.

Only now as a thirtysomething idiot adult I will be paying a hefty price in the morning on 0-2 hours sleep and a 12 hour day ahead of me; however, I will be home for the rest of the week by 10 am Tuesday morning which will allow me a great amount of time to play ridiculous amounts of Mario and AC3.

Maybe I can even continue to buy viable ports of major multi-platform releases on this console in 1-3 years. That'd be pretty neat but I won't hold my breath yet. I usually only buy exclusives for my PS3 and Wii anyway so I'll live a happy life if I continue to buy third party titles on my Xbox 360 and whatever the new Xbox is called down the road.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

bluegoon posted:

OK, this loving xbox froze mid-show for the last loving time, can the WiiU play videos from something like Tversity? I'm in South Africa, no Netflix, Hulu, all that white people poo poo is barred from usage because Africa. Is there any way to stream media hosted on a PC or portable drive to this machine?

The PS3 is really good at streaming media from your PC.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am absolutely surprised how much they want you looking at the Gamepad Controller for everything. I thought that it would be this optional thing, but even when the display is mirrored I keep finding myself looking at the gamepad.

Of course I haven't tried any other controller set up, so who knows...

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Underwhelmed posted:

Have you tried lowering the pad brightness, and turning on power saver? I've gotten quite a bit more battery life after taking the brightness off max.

I don't even know how to adjust the brightness. I checked settings and only saw where to calibrate the screen. :ohdear:

Astro7x posted:

I am absolutely surprised how much they want you looking at the Gamepad Controller for everything. I thought that it would be this optional thing, but even when the display is mirrored I keep finding myself looking at the gamepad.

Of course I haven't tried any other controller set up, so who knows...

It's too distracting. When playing Mario, the same thing is happening in both screens. Why? That is a constant drain of already pathetic battery life.

* Hit Home -> Screen off. Within minutes, something happens that kicks the screen back on.

* Pick up a Wiimote, turn off the GamePad screen, and start doing stuff. Within minutes, something happens and it says "please look at the GamePad screen". So you have to set the Wiimote down and go back to the GamePad.

* Used Netflix? It disables the Wiimote and keeps the screen on the GamePad on during the entire movie. This finally caused my GamePad to shut off (the battery light turned red and then started blinking). And when that happened, playback stopped (since the Wii U lost communication with the GamePad). The GamePad *NEEDS* to be on with Netflix, as the Wiimotes are disabled during playback.
You have to leave the GamePad on its charger and throw a towel over the screen or something so the screen doesn't distract you from the movie.

Nintendo is like Apple in the way it decides to "do its own thing" with how stuff works on its hardware/software. Unfortunately, Nintendo's logic doesn't make any loving sense. From friendcodes, to hardware-tied purchases, to virtual non-existent storage, to "always on" controller that gets 2 hours of battery life. Who greenlights anything they do? Their games are fun, but their hardware and services make me sick.

orborborb
Jan 20, 2004

My gamepad loses connection constantly, none of the games requiring you to move it are playable. This is about 4-6 feet from the base unit, and happens at both my house and a friend's house, so I either need a new system or we both need to move to new locations with less RF interference. In either case though I would think there'd be more people complaining about this and I can't find anything.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Anyone seeing new games pop up in the Wara Wara plaza or whatever the screen is called when you start up your system? I've been playing Nintendo Land but don't see it up there. Could've sworn I saw game icons up there in videos instead of just the default Nintendo stuff.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
What's the verdict so far? Worth it yet?

I like Nintendo games, but if the controller gimmicks get in the way of actual game play like they did with the Wii, I think I'll pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Brother Scrotum posted:

What's the verdict so far? Worth it yet?

I like Nintendo games, but if the controller gimmicks get in the way of actual game play like they did with the Wii, I think I'll pass.

My roommate brought one home today, and I hadn't been paying attention at all to it so I like to think I have a pretty impartial opinion.

I think it has a lot of potential. It's controllers, both gamepad and pro, have the same number of buttons as your 360 and PS3 controllers, which opens the console up to the same gameplay styles that other consoles enjoy. The gamepad itself is as light as a 360 wireless and surprisingly ergonomic, to boot, and not awkward at all to use for touchscreen control.

The online service is... Well, it just launched, it's barren, but it looks like it has all the groundwork needed to compete with the 360 marketplace or Playstation Store. And I honestly like the Miiverse thing, being able to meet people who play the same games as you through a forum and actually freind them rather than exchange lovely friend codes is nice.

Obviously it isn't going to be as obscenely shiny as a theoretical Next Gen Xbox or Playstation but the HD output brings it up to par with current standards, and looks drat fine to boot.

Potential is the key word here, there isn't much to do yet since it's fresh out of the gate and a lot of the services have to put down roots and draw in developers, but there is truly potential here that the Wii never had. I'm optimistic!

• Locked thread