Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Rirse posted:

That was a close call. I was looking at my bank statement e-mail this morning and saw the eShop charged me three times for Mighty Switch Force. But it was only a fluke. Can anyone else confirm if "multiple charges" briefly appear when you buy a game?

Why are you buying stuff?! I thought things were still tied to the one account / one hardware device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rirse posted:

That was a close call. I was looking at my bank statement e-mail this morning and saw the eShop charged me three times for Mighty Switch Force. But it was only a fluke. Can anyone else confirm if "multiple charges" briefly appear when you buy a game?

Yes, I freaked out when I bought NSMB 2 for the 3DS on the e-shop. When I called Nintendo they said one is just a "test charge" or some poo poo. It goes away after like 2 days.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Any word on when the account system is coming to 3DS and Wii U?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

suddenlyissoon posted:

I hadn't played one since I was a teenager...I guess I forgot. I like the game, I'm just bad at it.

I would critically judge you on this but I don't like SNES games with too much directional shooting (Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island) and those are considered some of the greatest games of all time so I guess we all have our quirks.

Xenomorph posted:

Why are you buying stuff?! I thought things were still tied to the one account / one hardware device.

They are, but the Nintendo Support site says, "In the future, you will be able to use your Nintendo Network Account with future Nintendo consoles and other devices, such as PC's" so it's only a temporary hindrance.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Is there a way to find out how big a game is on the e-shop before you download it? Don't want to put $60 down for a retail game only to find out afterwards that I need to buy an external hard drive before I can play it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Revol posted:

Care to go into detail? I'm starting to have instant buyer's remorse after ordering today. (I think I receive mine on the 27th. That's fine, Assassin's Creed III on PC will hold me over.)

edit: My brother was talking about how the Engadget review says the GamePad feels 'cheap'. How's it 'feel' for you guys?

I regret nothing. I have the reverse problem, I was wondering where the hell I was getting off buying a new home console system when I don't have much time at home and have enjoyed it so much I feel I made the right choice. The system is wonderful, the gamepads are the best ever.

It's a launch system though. If anything going slightly askew or having to deal with minor hiccups or issues is going to send you in a frothing rage, wait a couple of months.

Also I like how it's been completely glossed over that for the first time in the history of console gaming, there are multigigabyte AAA titles up for download at launch and the process of purchasing and downloading them is smooth and not fraught with peril. It's pretty remarkable that we got to this point.

Another neat little touch is that they finally dropped the "blocks" thing and if you go to the data management on the menu everything is in kilobytes, megabytes, and gigabytes. Each one of those is a different color so you can tell them apart easily because that's how Nintendo rolls :3:

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 19, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Boten Anna posted:

Also I like how it's been completely glossed over that for the first time in the history of console gaming, there are multigigabyte AAA titles up for download and the process of purchasing and downloading them is smooth and not fraught with peril. It's pretty remarkable that we got to this point.

What? Both 360 and PS3 have Games on Demand features that include their "AAA" titles that are basically just click and buy.

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world
Quick question about the Wii > Wii U system transfer. All of my save files are on the system memory, and all of my downloaded games are on an SD card. I don't mind redownloading the games, but will all the licenses transfer over in one go, or will I have to download stuff to the system memory and transfer multiple times?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

g0lbez posted:

Is there a way to find out how big a game is on the e-shop before you download it? Don't want to put $60 down for a retail game only to find out afterwards that I need to buy an external hard drive before I can play it.

Yeah. It tells you when you click purchase. It goes to a screen that tells you the rating and an info screen before you actually buy it. I bought NSMBU and Nano Assault.

Also I can confirm it downloads in background and you can check the progress by pulling up the home screen during a game. Man after only having a ps3 interface for years this OS is a breathe of fresh air. Everything is friendly and works well.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 19, 2012

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Closet Cyborg posted:

Quick question about the Wii > Wii U system transfer. All of my save files are on the system memory, and all of my downloaded games are on an SD card. I don't mind redownloading the games, but will all the licenses transfer over in one go, or will I have to download stuff to the system memory and transfer multiple times?

I was in the same boat. All the save files come over, and all the stuff that's on the SD card will still be on the SD Card BUT you'll have to download them again for free. I've just kept the SD Card I used to transfer in the Wii U and when I go to Wii Mode it looks just like my Wii menu did. Stuff that was on the Wii is there, stuff on the SD Card is on that. Only difference is when you get the urge to play something for the first time you'll have to re-download it.

There's summary screens when you start and finish that tell you all this, too.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

flyboi posted:

I don't know if the entire system supports it but ZombiU says haaaaaaaay

I think that this is purely for the HUD. I want to say that in the jump from AC2 to Brotherhood they started using flash for the interface and there was a pretty big jump in responsiveness.

So, as far as for middle-ware, the WiiU "supports" flash, but I don't think that the browser is ever expected to. They'll probably just stick with HTML5.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Boten Anna posted:

Also I like how it's been completely glossed over that for the first time in the history of console gaming, there are multigigabyte AAA titles up for download and the process of purchasing and downloading them is smooth and not fraught with peril. It's pretty remarkable that we got to this point.

Somebody never owned a PS3 or 360...

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Taxxorrak posted:

Any word on when the account system is coming to 3DS and Wii U?

I don't think it's coming to 3DS?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

TaurusOxford posted:

Somebody never owned a PS3 or 360...

I think he was pointing out that they have then AAA "sold in stores" titles available for download at launch, which neither the PS3 or 360 had when they came out 27 years ago. They have it now of course, pretty much everyone does. Or not maybe, perhaps they really had no idea.

Revol posted:

Care to go into detail? I'm starting to have instant buyer's remorse after ordering today. (I think I receive mine on the 27th. That's fine, Assassin's Creed III on PC will hold me over.)

edit: My brother was talking about how the Engadget review says the GamePad feels 'cheap'. How's it 'feel' for you guys?

"Cheap" probably means "light" which to many people means "flimsy" but honestly the controller is the best thing about the console. It feels good in the hands, all of the buttons and are placed in such a way that they are easy to hit, and the screen is at least as responsive as 3DS maybe more. I wouldn't say that it is as precise as an iPad (it still requires a little pressure to sense the touch) but still pretty good. Playing games on the screen is great too. Mario, and Scribblenauts for example don't even need the TV if you don't want it. The TV remote integration is a really nice inclusion too.

The battery life is much better if you turn the brightness down, which by default is on searchlight mode; it is still a bit on the short side though. Given how easy it is to access the battery compartment, replacements/upgrades are going to be easy enough to do since it seems to have been designed for that.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 19, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Underwhelmed posted:

The battery life is much better if you turn the brightness down, which by default is on searchlight mode; it is still a bit on the short side though. Given how easy it is to access the battery compartment, replacements/upgrades are going to be easy enough to do since it seems to have been designed for that.

Yeah the brightness is usaully the battery killer. But I presonally refuse to turn it down, I like bright screens and I don't want to look from a bright TV to a dim gamepad. Of course I know this is my personal preference and I am willing to take the hit for it. Got the charger next to the couch, and the gamepad gets pulled in when needed, the light cable there is unobstrusive so its not a problem with my setup.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
How do you use the spray can in Zombi U? I got the Spray Can but I can't see any way to use it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Revol posted:

I don't think it's coming to 3DS?

Nintendo says it is, they just havent said when yet.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

How do you use Mii's in NSMBU, me and the kids beat the first world last night, but we could only select luigi and toads.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Revol posted:

It actually feels really great. Even as goofy as it looks compared to a sleek minimalist tablet, the curved edges and the low weight were absolutely the correct design decisions; it's extremely comfortable.

Bombadilillo posted:

How do you use Mii's in NSMBU, me and the kids beat the first world last night, but we could only select luigi and toads.

You can only use Miis in the other modes, not in the main game.

There's some weird decisions about play modes in NSMBU. Why would the Pro Controller not be supported? Why not allow the Gamepad to control a character in multiplayer? Mysteries.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Aw dammit, my Wii U just arrived and I have to go do therapy in 45 minutes. Why couldn't it have come an hour earlier or an hour later? This is the worst possible timing! Maybe I can get it set up and updating while I go out...

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

It actually feels really great. Even as goofy as it looks compared to a sleek minimalist tablet, the curved edges and the low weight were absolutely the correct design decisions; it's extremely comfortable.

You can only use Miis in the other modes, not in the main game.

There's some weird decisions about play modes in NSMBU. Why would the Pro Controller not be supported? Why not allow the Gamepad to control a character in multiplayer? Mysteries.

Does the pro controller have a tilt sensor?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Aw dammit, my Wii U just arrived and I have to go do therapy in 45 minutes. Why couldn't it have come an hour earlier or an hour later? This is the worst possible timing! Maybe I can get it set up and updating while I go out...

Yeah, defintaly do that. This IS perfect timing. You have to do some housekeeping setup and then let it update.

So I got a pro controller, and now I am wondering why. Everything so far seems to be using wiimotes or I would just use the gamepad. I can play Nano Assault 2 player non-split-screen which is nice, but I feel like I spent 50$ to play a 10$ game :v:

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 19, 2012

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah, defintaly do that. This IS perfect timing. You have to do some housekeeping setup and then let it update.

I also need to fit a shower in...

Double dammit, I forgot that my TV only has one HDMI input. I guess I'll need a splitter!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

They are, but the Nintendo Support site says, "In the future, you will be able to use your Nintendo Network Account with future Nintendo consoles and other devices, such as PC's" so it's only a temporary hindrance.
Bear in mind that this could still just mean "you can go onto the eShop from your PC web browser but whatever you buy is still tied specifically to the Wii U your account is registered on".

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Dr. Glasscock posted:

How do you use the spray can in Zombi U? I got the Spray Can but I can't see any way to use it.
You've got to be online(and have the spray can) then push B(I think you might need to hold it down) then drag/drop what you want to tag on the screen and push the button when done

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I also need to fit a shower in...

Double dammit, I forgot that my TV only has one HDMI input. I guess I'll need a splitter!

You can probably start the update without even hooking the Wii U up to a tv. Just use the gamepad.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Quest For Glory II posted:

Bear in mind that this could still just mean "you can go onto the eShop from your PC web browser but whatever you buy is still tied specifically to the Wii U your account is registered on".

When we are talking about Nintendo and "online features" it is usually to your advantage to assume the worst. This way you can then only be pleasantly surprised.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So I thought that having your own Nintendo ID would allow games to separate saves for each ID. However when my wife and I play new super Mario Brothers it keeps the saves from each of our IDs instead of separate, is anyone else having this issue? Sucks being limited to only 3 saves.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's almost definitely what it will be. I just wonder if Nintendo is even aware how much this pisses off and inconveniences customers and if they even care.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
So what's the status of Miiverse today? When we got our U set up and started playing NintendoLand, we could see people's comments floating around the screen after we played games. It was silly but sort of charming. Then on Sunday it went down? Is that right? I saw a Kotaku article saying it had gone down, but had gone back up since then. Still, for the remainder of Sunday I didn't see any messages pop up.

Are people seeing messages today? I'm at work so I can't check.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Underwhelmed posted:

When we are talking about Nintendo and "online features" it is usually to your advantage to assume the worst. This way you can then only be pleasantly surprised.
I said this exact thing a week ago and people told me I was being a debbie downer

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

So what's the goon consensus on ZombiU? poo poo, good launch title, or actually good game? I've got Mario Bros U and NintendoLand and want something a little more... substantial.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

quiggy posted:

I've got Mario Bros U and NintendoLand and want something a little more... substantial.

I was wondering the same thing about Mass Effect 3. I know it came out forever ago, but I played the first two on my 360 and enjoyed them a lot. I procrastinated on playing the third one. I'm willing to pay more for the sake of playing it on my Wii U, but I don't want to end up the victim of bad frame rates like people have described with Batman and Epic Mickey 2.

Has anyone played ME:3 on U yet?

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
I am sad to hear Epic Mickey 2 has frame rate issues. I pre ordered it for my mom's birthday, and it should be delivered today. She loved the first one, and she is kind of new to video games, so hopefully she doesn't notice it too much...

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Any general tips for combat in ZombiU? Is it as simple as, use the bat and aim for the head? I'm pretty good at not getting hit when it's one zombie, but if there are multiples, forget it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Seaniqua posted:

So what's the status of Miiverse today? When we got our U set up and started playing NintendoLand, we could see people's comments floating around the screen after we played games. It was silly but sort of charming. Then on Sunday it went down? Is that right? I saw a Kotaku article saying it had gone down, but had gone back up since then. Still, for the remainder of Sunday I didn't see any messages pop up.

Are people seeing messages today? I'm at work so I can't check.

Seems to be working fine right now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WaffleStomp posted:

Any general tips for combat in ZombiU? Is it as simple as, use the bat and aim for the head? I'm pretty good at not getting hit when it's one zombie, but if there are multiples, forget it.

When there's more than one, pull out your gun.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Seems to be working fine right now.

So when I get home I'll be able to post dumb things like: "I beat this level without getting hit guys!"?

Because aside from not seeing anyone else's poo poo, I couldn't post from within games either.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

For those that missed out on the launch, or are dealing with a tight budget ,I introduce the JDXS5100:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Is the Batman Arkham City port any good or is it shoddy? I never played any of the Arkham games so I figured I might as well start now.

• Locked thread