Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Supercar Gautier posted:

NINTENDO IN BED.

Not to mention NINTENDO ON THE SHITTER if your home is wifi-amenable. :v:

(edit) Also I just made a bad waluigi time post in the NSMBU miiverse and got like four Yeah!s immediately, I love this miiverse thing :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Iwata has said there are plans for a Wii U Virtual Console. What those plans are is still yet to be revealed. Schedule? Gamecube games? Free updates for VC games you already own, to play them from the Gamepad? Paid updates? Nobody knows.

I think part of why it's not ready now is not technical incompetence, it's Nintendo trying to figure out what they want to actually do with it. Hopefully they take their time and do something cool.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Donkey Kong and Pikmin are my 2 favourites on Nintendo Land.
I like the Zelda game as well.

I'm surprised how solid of a package Nintendo Land is. Even though its really basic, It's fun as hell.

I'm thinking of purchasing Little Inferno, but I just want to hear some more impressions first.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bobnumerotres posted:

What problems?

GAF seems to be compiling a list

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

SereneCrimson posted:

I'm thinking of purchasing Little Inferno, but I just want to hear some more impressions first.

They showed it a bit on the GB stream. Seemed like a quirky not quite game, but it could be entertaining. Don't know if it is $15 worth of entertaining. They'll probably have that video up sometime this week. I may still pick it up.

Seems like that Neo Assault Nano is pretty cool? Haven't tried that one either, and they did not show that one on the stream.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Crashes & bad products ALWAYS happen. My launch 360 had to be replaced near immediately as did a friends. Bad ports aside, all of the rest of this sounds like people just didn't know what to expect. Questionable RAM? How's that even something we can comment on?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Quest For Glory II posted:

For which games? ZombiU and NSMBU seem like the only worthy ones. NintendoLand could have a thread but it would mostly just be people saying "I liked Pikmin" or "I didn't like Yoshi" and not much else.

Except Scribblenauts is pretty good and the Sonic racing game is apparently one of the best kart racers ever made.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What? A Sonic spinoff on a Nintendo console that's good? :raise:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

What? A Sonic spinoff on a Nintendo console that's good? :raise:

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing was a really good kart racing game made by the people behind Outrun 2 and Outrun Online Arcade, and from what I hear Transformed beats it in every way. Not that I know from personal experience, I shilled out for a Vita pre-order at $20 so I won't know until December :emo:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Is there any way to view the stamps in more detail? Can't seem to find it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

suddenlyissoon posted:

Crashes & bad products ALWAYS happen. My launch 360 had to be replaced near immediately as did a friends. Bad ports aside, all of the rest of this sounds like people just didn't know what to expect. Questionable RAM? How's that even something we can comment on?

The RAM, even though there's more of it, is apparently slower than what's on the PS3 and 360. I just don't buy this at all though. Why would they put in a video card that bests the 360's and then skimp on all of the much cheaper parts?

Also, lock-ups and other things sound like release jitters. Even the Wii had lock-ups and terrible load times until later patches, and the thing was a re-wrapped gamecube.

EDIT: And keep in mind the console was super-rushed for a holiday released. It'll probably be a month before a lot of these issues get worked out.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 19, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

People just enjoy the drama, it's Twilight Princess's "8.8" all over again. I like watching just how crazy it gets but I am still getting one on EU release day. "Quit liking what I don't like!" comes to mind.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Throwing in some love for the Animal Crossing minigame in Nintendo Land. It's another chase game, but controlling two chasers with the pad is oddly satisfying.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Well poo poo. Newegg oversold its bundle deals so my Wii U Deluxe order was voided. I have on on order with Dell too, but it won't be here until the 30th.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Every launch has hiccups but I will say, as far as launch lineups go, NSMBU and NintendoLand are so much stronger games to start with than Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, uhhh what the gently caress did the PS3 even launch with? Heavenly Sword? I've already forgotten.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Every launch has hiccups but as far as launch lineups go, NSMBU and NintendoLand are so much stronger games to start with than Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, uhhh what the gently caress did the PS3 even launch with? Heavenly Sword? I've already forgotten.

Folklore, I think, maybe? Also Resistance, which was actually good :v:

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The RAM, even though there's more of it, is apparently slower than what's on the PS3 and 360. I just don't buy this at all though. Why would they put in a video card that bests the 360's and then skimp on all of the much cheaper parts?

Also, lock-ups and other things sound like release jitters. Even the Wii had lock-ups and terrible load times until later patches, and the thing was a re-wrapped gamecube.

EDIT: And keep in mind the console was super-rushed for a holiday released. It'll probably be a month before a lot of these issues get worked out.

It makes no sense to me either but the people who designed the console are, or at least should be, smarter than you and I. I'd have to believe that there's some reason behind it and a solution to get more out of it. Of course, I could just be trying to justify my spending $500 on it yesterday.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Every launch has hiccups but I will say, as far as launch lineups go, NSMBU and NintendoLand are so much stronger games to start with than Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, uhhh what the gently caress did the PS3 even launch with? Heavenly Sword? I've already forgotten.

Resistance, and that was just another PDZ situation of people convincing themselves it was a good game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have to say, Miiverse is a really great idea. It's like Twitter for your games. I can't wait to see some creative devs use the program in more meta ways like an adventure game that encourages people to share photos and map annotations.

I also like the funny artists making detailed sketches instead of text posts.

e: I wish there was a way on real forums to tell if someone has actually played a game or not.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 19, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Policenaut posted:

Resistance, and that was just another PDZ situation of people convincing themselves it was a good game.
Yeah Resistance was really not good at all. Ugly game too, aesthetically.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

I have to say, Miiverse is a really great idea. It's like Twitter for your games. I can't wait to see some creative devs use the program in more meta ways like an adventure game that encourages people to share photos and map annotations.

I also like the funny artists making detailed sketches instead of text posts.

Said it before, say it again, I so wish I had any artistic talent. I love going into the NSMBU miiverse and seeing all the art :smith:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Policenaut posted:

PS3 had an awful launch in every sense of the word.

It looks like there was no quality control with the WiiU ports though. Almost every port has been reported to have bad framerate issues and other problems that weren't present on other consoles. Might get hot-fixed but that's still pretty awful.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Jesus, this just seems like so much nitpickery. For one, they say the battery life is 'unexpected'. I thought 3-5 hours was what we were always told?

And slow memory? How serious of a bottleneck could that possibly be? That usually nets you a few FPS on a PC system, if anything.

With the HDMI audio stuff... people are complaining that you can't use HDMI along with another output at the same time for audio use. Is this something 360 or PS3 can do? Because I would never expect to receive this feature.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Honestly, bad ports are going to be a factor in the next Xbox and PS launch too. You're going to have games that are multi-platform across 5-6 systems, and the next-gen ports are going to have the least amount of effort into them.

And it's simply because (a) limited initial install base to sell to, (b) competing with a dozen other games releasing at the same time, (c) a new platform you don't know yet, (d) the cost put into the port might not be made back if it is swept under the rug by more notable games.

It sucks for people who waited to buy a new system before buying a game they were interested in, but on the positive side, by that point the game on the original system is probably really cheap???? I dunno what else to say.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Wife and I tried Metroid Blast last night for the first time. I let her control the ship and I was on the ground. I'm sort of confused about the control scheme for the ground player. You hold down A to look around, but it just feels more natural to me to be holding down A all the time. I never played the Wii Metroid game, but I vaguely remember having to hold down a button to look around in Prime. Is that why they made it this way? I just ended up holding down A all the time because it made sense to me, do I just not understand the mechanic?

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 19, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Revol posted:

With the HDMI audio stuff... people are complaining that you can't use HDMI along with another output at the same time for audio use. Is this something 360 or PS3 can do? Because I would never expect to receive this feature.

I use HDMI for both audio and video on my PS3, but I want to say I remember seeing the option to use a different audio source. My 360 doesn't have an HDMI port so I have no idea if it can do it.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

al-azad posted:

e: I wish there was a way on real forums to tell if someone has actually played a game or not.

Isn't there supposed to be a little icon by their name if they've played it? I know something like that was on one of the Miiverse start-up screens but I can't find it anymore.

As for arty NSMBU posts, I just subject people to my horrible art. My Yoshi looks like a bad hand puppet but whatever, I got all 3 Star Coins. Acknowledge me, Miiverse!. I do hope an Art Academy game comes out soon though, the good drawings make me jealous.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I use HDMI for both audio and video on my PS3, but I want to say I remember seeing the option to use a different audio source. My 360 doesn't have an HDMI port so I have no idea if it can do it.

I believe it can, although I seem to remember that older models have to slightly alter the plug on the back of the 360 because the plastic casing on that is big enough that it slightly blocks the HDMI port.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah I waited to get Arkham City when I found out I could get it in this and I regret not getting NSMBU since it seems that it's acctually a really fun 2-D Mario and not just a repeat of the first two :sigh:

I'm hoping the communities get expanded to allow user made ones cause miiverse is already pretty awesome. It's a twitter for my nintendos :3:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah I waited to get Arkham City when I found out I could get it in this and I regret not getting NSMBU since it seems that it's acctually a really fun 2-D Mario and not just a repeat of the first two :sigh:

How much are they charging for Arkham City? Because on Steam you can literally just wait two or three days and it'll be under ten bucks.

If they're charging more than 30 bucks for all these half-year+ old ports then gently caress 'em, they deserve all the flak they're getting.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Revol posted:

When I play Rocksmith on 360, I use HDMI out for video and standard RCA out for audio. I plug the HDMI into my TV, and the audio cables straight into headphones (using an adapter). HDMI can introduce a very noticeable audio lag. I think most people want it so they have way to hook their console audio into their audio receiver.

Anyway, 360 definitely has the feature. It shouldn't be a particularly difficult thing to include, but I'm not sure if Nintendo will prioritize it.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Honestly, bad ports are going to be a factor in the next Xbox and PS launch too.
Probably, but that doesn't mean it should be acceptable to consumers. For $60+ a pop you should expect some quality control.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Revol posted:

And slow memory? How serious of a bottleneck could that possibly be? That usually nets you a few FPS on a PC system, if anything.

Trying to compare this to PC system ram is not the way to go. They are using DDR3 1600 as system/GPU memory as opposed to the GDDR you would expect to see, and that can be found on every performance GPU and in the 360/PS3. It is a massive downgrade in terms of bandwidth and only time will tell how much of a problem this is going to be. The EDRAM should help to offset this a bit though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Gendo posted:

Probably, but that doesn't mean it should be acceptable to consumers. For $60+ a pop you should expect some quality control.

Yeah, it's kind of unfortunate when it happens. I'm reading that another launch game, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, has a "noticibly worse" frame rate on Wii U compared to PS3 according to Destructoid review troll and ~Warriors fan Jim Sterling

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gendo posted:

You absolutely should, but you won't get it, for those reasons. I honestly think those companies would be better off not releasing the ports at all, since the financial incentive is not very strong unless it's Black Ops 2.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

evilalien posted:

Trying to compare this to PC system ram is not the way to go. They are using DDR3 1600 as system/GPU memory as opposed to the GDDR you would expect to see, and that can be found on every performance GPU and in the 360/PS3. It is a massive downgrade in terms of bandwidth and only time will tell how much of a problem this is going to be. The EDRAM should help to offset this a bit though.

Woah, woah, wait, what? They're using normal RAM and they're only using 2GB? Holy poo poo :psyduck:

Well here's hoping they eat the market or something and there's nothing left for the next consoles to take because that sounds like it's severely underpowered. What the gently caress Nintendo :psyboom:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Bobnumerotres posted:

It looks like there was no quality control with the WiiU ports though. Almost every port has been reported to have bad framerate issues and other problems that weren't present on other consoles. Might get hot-fixed but that's still pretty awful.

From what I've heard, the Darksiders II port is actually pretty drat excellent. It runs at a consistent frame rate and looks good, the GamePad actually fixes one of the game's most crippling flow breakers (having to constantly go into a menu that loads very slowly to edit your loadout) and it also includes all the DLC that has been released for the PS3/360/PC version so far.

Quite a contrast from the game's messy original launch, really!

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Just out of curiousity, why is Nintendo so insistent in using Dolby Pro-Logic II rather than 5.1 Dolby Digital? Here we are in 2012 and on their latest console they are still using the same virtual surround sound found on the Gamecube.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Utnayan posted:

Just out of curiousity, why is Nintendo so insistent in using Dolby Pro-Logic II rather than 5.1 Dolby Digital? Here we are in 2012 and on their latest console they are still using the same virtual surround sound found on the Gamecube.

It supports 5.1 PCM over HDMI which is true surround sound and superior to Dolby Digital and DTS. It's obviously a cost cutting measure since they aren't paying for the licenses. It does leave people with receivers that can't do HDMI audio in a bad position though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

Woah, woah, wait, what? They're using normal RAM and they're only using 2GB? Holy poo poo :psyduck:

Well here's hoping they eat the market or something and there's nothing left for the next consoles to take because that sounds like it's severely underpowered. What the gently caress Nintendo :psyboom:

Game consoles need a 10th* of the amount of ram to accomplish what a PC needs to accomplish.

*probably exaggerating but the fact is, the OS for the Wii U uses nothing compared to a Windows or Apple OS.

• Locked thread