Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Started my new game. Got a broken sword drop in 1-1!

edit: going with dragon Mirdan for now since I got a free drop. But I'm duping everything so I can try the knight sword later. Also I'd love to get Northern Regalia, so I might as well kill some NPCs.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

dragon Mirdan: awesome
Soulbrandt: awesomer
Northern Regalia: awesomest

This or the blueblood must be the best weapon in the game

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think Blueblood is the best PvE. It's the range it has, especially on the R2, plus its enchabtability for bosses.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think Blueblood is the best PvE. It's the range it has, especially on the R2, plus its enchabtability for bosses.

Yeah I can see that. I do like that NR works well with vitality builds. What kind of stats would you have to have to get a 540 attack rating on the BBS? According to the wiki it's 490 at max stats (unenchanted of course).

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 6, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure about that. The one thing I do remember is that min/maxing stats should be done with an eye on use with Light Weapon, not general attack rating. Early BBS builds actually buffed luck (after other stats had reached certain points) because luck increases the damage you do with the BBS, however it's always better to put points in your magic stat (assuming everything else is covered) as the increased damage from the buff to your catalyst when casting light weapon (always use the Insanity Catalyst for Light Weapon) always grossly outpaces the damage buff to the base on your BBS when pumping luck, and the times when damage matters the most will be boss fights anyway. Or PvP. When you will have Light Weapon up.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
strange request but does anyone have a link to the invasion video on youtube where some guy on 1-1 is invaded, then he trolls him and eventually gets him roasted at the end?

nm found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbxCRnzB7uk

Alpha Mayo fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 6, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thinking about doing SL1 finally. Would be using Crescent Falchion of course. Any way to get pure darkmoonstone without going insane?

edit: does this work in 4-3?

"Here's a trick, after you kill the lizard and see what it dropped, don't close the loot window. Just press the PS button on your controller, quit game, and when you load the lizards will be back. Keep doing this as many times as you need to until it drops. Remember, when you open the loot window, don't press any buttons... Just PS button and quit game."

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 20, 2012

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

actionjackson posted:

Thinking about doing SL1 finally. Would be using Crescent Falchion of course. Any way to get pure darkmoonstone without going insane?

"Here's a trick, after you kill the lizard and see what it dropped, don't close the loot window. Just press the PS button on your controller, quit game, and when you load the lizards will be back. Keep doing this as many times as you need to until it drops. Remember, when you open the loot window, don't press any buttons... Just PS button and quit game."

This sure does work - I did it recently on my platinum run.

I don't know how in the world you'd be expected to do it under normal means... (Play a lot of characters I guess?)

Good luck!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
After spending 300+ hours in dark souls across the 360, PS3, and PC I'm thinking about picking up Demon's Souls. Is this a solid decision? Are the servers still up? I hope so! I can't loving wait to get the feeling Dark Souls gave me the first time playing it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Wildtortilla posted:

After spending 300+ hours in dark souls across the 360, PS3, and PC I'm thinking about picking up Demon's Souls. Is this a solid decision? Are the servers still up? I hope so! I can't loving wait to get the feeling Dark Souls gave me the first time playing it.

Yes, they're still up. :) Also, it's just as menacing and fun as you might imagine. Some of the basic combat skills will translate, and you'll think you know what you're doing, and then you'll die over and over again. It's fantastic.

There's such a glut of games right now that I haven't had time to finish this yet. Hopefully I'll have some time over the holidays.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Wildtortilla posted:

Still worth it. Combat is practically the same and the mechanics will feel familiar. The world mechanics are different but that's all I'd say they are. Different, not worse. Still a fantastic game.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

actionjackson posted:

I've never tried that so I don't know.

IMO you want a moon falchion (not crescent) as your main and a Dragon Mace (two hand only) as a backup for when foes are magic resistant (loving False King and cthulu guards).

There is something to be said, however, for going with a moon short spear as your two handed backup and a Dragon short sword as your main. Mostly if you plan to kill all the black phantoms as well as the meat cleaver phantom, Rydell, and the Old King are a real bitch with the falchion / mace / no hp / bullshit shield setup.

No magic allowed for the true sl1 experience!

raton fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 20, 2012

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

If you're coming from Dark Souls, man up, get 4-1 to Pure Black right after getting the Crescent Falchion and kill BP Satsuki.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

I've never tried that so I don't know.

IMO you want a moon falchion (not crescent) as your main and a Dragon Mace (two hand only) as a backup for when foes are magic resistant (loving False King and cthulu guards).

There is something to be said, however, for going with a moon short spear as your two handed backup and a Dragon short sword as your main. Mostly if you plan to kill all the black phantoms as well as the meat cleaver phantom, Rydell, and the Old King are a real bitch with the falchion / mace / no hp / bullshit shield setup.

No magic allowed for the true sl1 experience!

Well obviously if I'm not going to use magic then Crescent is pointless. I'd rather get a dragon sword though since I have a guaranteed pure stone drop, and I don't want to go into world 3 right away.

What enemies have high fire resistance? Besides Flamelurker.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 21, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

actionjackson posted:

Well obviously if I'm not going to use magic then Crescent is pointless. I'd rather get a dragon sword though since I have a guaranteed pure stone drop, and I don't want to go into world 3 right away.

What enemies have high fire resistance? Besides Flamelurker.

Old King. That's it worth noting.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alright. I'll do fire short sword with moon short sword backup after I get it in 3-2. I'll see how far I can get without using magic. I'm going to dupe eye stones to stay human, but gently caress PBWT (although I might get there anyway if I die enough).

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
So I've been playing this for the first time in preparation for Dark Souls but I feel like I've run into a wall. I have no real idea where I'm going with my character, and I feel like I'm spreading myself pretty thin when leveling up. Currently my stats are

Vitality 18
Intelligence 11
Endurance 20
Strength 17
Dexterity 18
Magic 10
Faith 8
Luck 12

I've pretty much been using a spear and leather armor for most of the game but I feel like other stuff might work better. 2-2, 3-2, 4-1 and even the boss of 5-1 are giving me trouble because can't really seem to kill anything efficiently. I feel like I should put more points into magic to have a backup besides stabbing things but I could really use any sort of advice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Different enemy types have different weaknesses. They don't really tend to be unusual, if you think them through. The lizardmen in world 2 are covered with scales, the skeletons in world 4 are skeletons, and the enemies in are diseased and need to be cleansed.

You don't really need spells. Weapons that deal magic damage are good in some cases, since some enemies have high physical resists, but I wouldn't bother building up the magic and intelligence for a bunch of spellcasting. You can also find some weapons that have pretty big bonuses to damage without scaling, so you can pump up your vitality and endurance first. This whole game is about managing your stamina meter, so pretty much everyone wants to get their endurance up ASAP.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Started my SL1 character. Did stone duping so I can stay human at all times (thief + regen ring) and to get my weapons upgraded without having to farm. ATM I have dragon short sword +2, rapier +6 (useful for scale miners), buckler +6 and short sword +6 which will become moon eventually. I've done 1-1, 2-1, 4-1 and got Patches in 4-2. Not sure what to do with my souls but buy a shitload of full moon grass. Haven't used any magic.

Parts I'm dreading:

Maneater, mainly since my shield sucks

3-3, I have to get up the staircase in PBWT to maximize my chances of pure moonstone from the top crystal lizard.

Ghost things in 4-2 - if you stand as close to them as possible you'll avoid their magic attack, right?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 22, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maneater: your dragon sword +5 and a little luck will do it

3-3 - For world 3 I beat it first, then blacked it, then killed the lizards that were left. Going your route is a bigger risk of losing a lizard because you can easily spook it and then die to the cthulu guard near there if you come from below. If you kill the Old Monk you can come at the lizard from the top. If you knew you'd be able to do everything perfectly then your way is the right way, however...

4-2 - usually, yes

I strongly recommend making the moon short spear instead of another short sword. The reach is invaluable, and two handed it's a very capable weapon. Or, downgrade the crescent falchion and moon that.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 22, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Using second chance is against the rules, right :)

You can get the MP necessary by using the silver catalyst and coronet.

Would you recommend fighting the first one two-handed on the bridge? My shield won't block his magic attack much anyway, might as well try to dodge it, though I risk falling off then.

One other thing I found out - though you don't meet it's strength requirement, you met the magic requirement for the NR. Even after the deduction it's pretty much the strongest SL1 weapon you can use.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 22, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Of course Second Chance is off limits :mad:

For maneater yeah, I did the fight two handing a dragon mace. It was pretty frustrating but eventually they spent enough time dicking around on the ground that I got 'em.

Never knew that about the NR, I figured not meeting any requirement meant all the damage went to poo poo. Didn't know they pieced it out.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 22, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I can't use a short spear one-handed though, I don't have the strength. I did misread short spear as short sword.

For 3-3, what I'm saying is that after you make it black, you will have to kill the enemies the first time you go up the stairs to the lizard. If you start from the last archstone, you still have to deal with the BP mind flayer at the top the first time.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, the short spear is two handed only. Your primary weapon (either falchion if going moon or short sword if going dragon) should allow for a shield. Your secondary weapon though is going to be used in spots where DPS is what you want, which in my mind means two handing, which in turn means using the spear for moon or the mace for dragon.

Of course, having one of each short sword is a solid way to go too, just a little less minmaxy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

If I can kill Old King Allant I'd like to see how much damage I can get from the Demonbrandt in pure white character tendency. Do you start the game in pure white?

Also can you clarify about 3-3? You do have to kill the enemies in pure black at least once, right?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You start neutral. Getting to pure white character tendency requires you to off all five of the special black phantoms if I remember correctly.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

drat, 2-3 took me forever. First I had to get the dragon to kill the second set of pillars, since I didn't have enough time to break them and roll away without getting killed. Then I finally broke down and used soul arrow to break up the last pillars before the staircase up to the second piece of weaponry.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hate 2-3. That's all I have to say about that.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

4-2 can go gently caress itself forever with a rusty chainsaw. Doesn't help I did 4-x first (Hiltless :swoon:).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

Hate 2-3. That's all I have to say about that.

Is it actually possible to break all the pillars using melee without getting killed? Since you need two swings.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

actionjackson posted:

Is it actually possible to break all the pillars using melee without getting killed? Since you need two swings.

I never had a trouble. You can survive one fire blast if you are at full health and have fire-defensive gear...and why would you be tackling the boss any other way?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RentCavalier posted:

I never had a trouble. You can survive one fire blast if you are at full health and have fire-defensive gear...and why would you be tackling the boss any other way?

Well since I'm SL1 I don't have very much health. Maybe if I was in human form AND used the ring of flame resistance. How many swings that it take you to knock down the pillars?

The alternative is just to bait him to attack and run away, so he destroys it for you.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 22, 2012

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

Well since I'm SL1 I don't have very much health. Maybe if I was in human form AND used the ring of flame resistance. How many swings that it take you to knock down the pillars?

The alternative is just to bait him to attack and run away, so he destroys it for you.

Wield a large weapon dual handed (even if you don't meet the requirements) then you'll be able to destroy the pillars in one hit. IIRC large shields L2 bash also works.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well I can only go up to 14 strength two handed which really doesn't give me any better options (unless I go through world 1 first and get the knight sword, but I wanted to get pure dragonstone ASAP). Halberd and Mirdan hammer as well, though I'd have to buy one in the valley. But are those really going to do more damage than a +5 moon falchion or +5 dragon short sword? I get about 260-280 right now. I'd have to upgrade it quite a bit; doesn't seem worth the effort just for one short level.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 23, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

actionjackson posted:

Yes. I forgot how I did that level on my sl1 guy, I expect I just two handed the crescent falchion and wailed away. My normal approach is to two hand the adjudicator shield and use its charging bash to choo choo and be done with it.

You can't do a Halberd or Mirdan hammer by the way. The best you can do is 13 strength. Otherwise it'd be Dragon Mirdan for the easy win. You're also one point short on agility for the war scythe. I was sorely tempted more than once.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 23, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oh you're right, I miscalculated. Shield bash is a good idea though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

actionjackson posted:

Well I can only go up to 14 strength two handed which really doesn't give me any better options
You don't need to meet the strength requirements to be able to destroy the pillars two handed. If you're at PWWT (I think?) whatever the giant axe is to the left at the start works perfectly for this.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Finished 1-2, 3-2, 3-3 and 4-2. 4-2 was a pain in the rear end, so much so that I stayed in soul form because gently caress that level in PBWT. For 3-2 I beat Maneater on the first try. 3-3 give me a bit of trouble, so I ended up going back to 3-2 to get pure moonlightstone from the crystal lizard once I was in pure black. I also figured out that I can use the adjudicator shield even without the stats for HP regen. The only thing you lose is some attack power, which I don't use anyway.

I think in NG+ second chance (can be used with silver coronet + silver catalyst in other hand) will be necessary, especially for Maneater. I haven't use any magic/miracles to this point except evacuate. After a bit of duping I have dragon short sword +5, moon falchion +5 and adjudicator shield +5.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So umm, where do I go now in Demon, I opened up all the areas but I'm to scared to go anywhere. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

So umm, where do I go now in Demon, I opened up all the areas but I'm to scared to go anywhere. :cry:

For a beginner it's best to try 1-2 and get killed by the boss because you suck and your equipment sucks.

To fix the latter you can either:

A) Finish world 2-1 and 2-2 (the stonefang archstone, there's a dwarf on it). This opens up a better blacksmith and gives you lots of little stones to improve stuff with. You can also get a cool fire sword in 2-2 if you search thoroughly. You might want to bring something that does piercing damage and try it out, you know, just sayin'.

B) Go into world 4-1 and learn how to kill skeletons (the shrine of storms archstone, there's a guy with a cool beehive hat on it). This will be hilarious good fun for anyone watching you try. Here's a hint: Clubs do blunt damage. So does your fist. If you can make it through the first fog door and hang a sharp left and then another left when you come to the end of the tunnel-in-the-wall you'll meet an exceedingly friendly fellow guarding a tantalizing glowing spark. I'll let you figure out that friendly fellow on your own, but I will tell you that that spark is the Crescent Falchion, a truly excellent starting weapon that is fast, does great damage compared to the garbage you have now (and half of it is magic damage which will pierce through the armor of many foes you were formerly having a lot of trouble with) and which slowly heals your magic. Sounds pretty great, huh? It is. Just talk to that friendly fellow about what he wants for you to be able to pick it up.

C) Go into world 5-1 (valley of defilement, the archstone has a plague doctor on it, which means a guy with a birdbeak mask) and see if you can get far enough along to find the Blessed Mace. It does magic and blunt damage and heals your health slowly, which is pretty nice. It's also easy to get since there are only, well, a few guys in the way. Not in groups that are too too large. Oh and they probably don't take quite a few shots to kill. Maybe you can bring a bow and, I dunno, 75 arrows or so, to make things easier for yourself, or maybe you don't need to, because you're slick.

If you do B or C don't worry so much about trying to finish the level, aim more for getting one of the weapons I mentioned.

Putting about ten points in vitality will help you more than anything else right now. I always tell people that and they ignore me and put points into strength or something. I guess they know better!

Once you have a better weapon you can do the levels as you see fit, really. Here's my standard order. You will jump around a bit in the middle to upgrade stuff or whatever.

4-1: Crescent Falchion and leave
2-1, 2-2
4-1
2-3
1-2
1-3: Sometimes I sneak in there and buy something, like the Knight Sword or Shield, sometimes I don't.
3-1, 3-2, 3-3
5-1
4-1, 4-2, 4-3
1-3
5-2, 5-3
1-4
Murder a bunch of innocents and go find a chick in some cool clothes in the Nexus, do some stuff she asks me to do
Kill some old king or other
Jump down a big hole

raton fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 24, 2012

• Locked thread