Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

cruelangeleo7 posted:

A lot of my power lifter friends get good mileage out of close-grip bench. I like paused bench. Maybe try pin press, too?

I do close grip for a triceps workout. Pin press is where you start with the bar resting on the safeties in a power cage or whatever?
http://train.elitefts.com/exercises-by-body-part/pecs-exercises-by-body-part/floor-press-off-pins/

vains fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Yeah.

If you can do weighted dips, those're awesome as well. I've never had much difficulties with my shoulders doing them.

Edit: added link

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 10, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

cruelangeleo7 posted:

Yeah.

If you can do weighted dips, those're awesome as well. I've never had much difficulties with my shoulders doing them.

I don't have any real shoulder issues. I'd just like to give them a rest from barbell benching for a few weeks. I think I'd prefer to do dumbbell exercises over barbell and incline over flat.

I do dips at the end of chest/tris day since they work out both.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

I don't have any real shoulder issues. I'd just like to give them a rest from barbell benching for a few weeks. I think I'd prefer to do dumbbell exercises over barbell and incline over flat.

I do dips at the end of chest/tris day since they work out both.

neutral grip db benching? i havent done them in forever but they're easier on your shoulders iirc

Really not many good compound chest lifts that don't involve shoulders to some degree

my chest day is pretty simple and i've never had shoulder issues but 3 of them stress your shoulders decently

flat bb bench
incline db bench
dips
skullcrushers

vains
May 26, 2004

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

neutral grip db benching? i havent done them in forever but they're easier on your shoulders iirc

Really not many good compound chest lifts that don't involve shoulders to some degree

my chest day is pretty simple and i've never had shoulder issues but 3 of them stress your shoulders decently

flat bb bench
incline db bench
dips
skullcrushers

Skullcrushers for chest? I'm not a lifting expert but I thought they were more of a triceps exercise. I guess they're kind of like pullovers though.

I'm sure this exercise has a name but I don't know what it is.
1- Start laying on a bench or inclined, dumbbells in a normal DB flat press position. Palms facing up/towards your feet
2- Press the dumbbell up while rotating your wrist and bringing the dumbbells together.
3- End with your palms facing each other and the dumbbells touching.

I was thinking about doing whatever that is called or or dumbbell squeeze press
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv3dxTXrG-8

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
yeah theyre a triceps thing but i still throw them in @ the end

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
283 apft (83 pushups,87 situps, and 1425) time to gorge on thanksgiving goodies.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Ashmole posted:

283 apft (83 pushups,87 situps, and 1425) time to gorge on thanksgiving goodies.

Just knocked out a 90something on the joke of an air force test. Time to get fat on thanksgiving and spend the next year fixing it.

I really want to get into swimming but I find myself gassed after a few laps. I'm not cardio crazy or anything, but I had assumed I could do a lot better than that. Am I just in miserable shape, or is swimming really that hard for someone who runs and lifts weights as their only hobbies?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
I've cut my caloric intake by half trying to no longer be too fat for the army. I've cut 15 lbs and barely losing any mental focus. I'm making this a one plate Thanksgiving. Maybe next time I'll get more than 61 points on the run too.

I need to pass tape so I can get MOS qualified. Hopefully I'll pass tape at the next drill.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I'm back down to a 32 waist :smug:. But I'm such a weak girly man...

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

PT test 2 loving days after my 45 day mission to Nam.

This is going to be awesome. My last PT test I went down 20 points from the 280 I usually score. Did the max max and holy poo poo I almost failed my run. Picked up smoking for this mission and did absolutely no cardio since my last PT test so let's see how horrible I'll do for this one.

But then again my last PT test was right after a mission as well where I smoked and didn't do any cardio besides walk up a miserable mountain to reach our truck to do a resupply.

On brighter note, thanks to a local gym by my hotel I did pack on 5pounds since I been here. gently caress yeah! I got to get taped now! 31 inch waist, 15 inch neck. Super excited about getting taped.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 20, 2012

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK

smertrioslol posted:

Just knocked out a 90something on the joke of an air force test. Time to get fat on thanksgiving and spend the next year fixing it.

I really want to get into swimming but I find myself gassed after a few laps. I'm not cardio crazy or anything, but I had assumed I could do a lot better than that. Am I just in miserable shape, or is swimming really that hard for someone who runs and lifts weights as their only hobbies?
you are probably just working much harder than you need to due to bad form. it takes awhile to build up good form. i find that breaststroke is really easy compared to front crawl/freestyle, so you may want to try that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just lifted for the first time in two weeks. Didn't get set back too far, but I can only imagine what the DOMS is going to be like for the next two days. Oh well.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So I really like lifting and I've been doing Alfalfa's Program 1. I've been seeing pretty good gains in the past month and a half. I also hate running so I run like twice a week, mostly concentrating on 3-mile 80% effort runs and 2-3 mile interval runs. I run like a 1500-1530 and I have no problem with that at all. Yet my fellow infantry officers are like shocked and appalled that I not only don't run below 1400, but I don't even really want to. I don't get it.

vains
May 26, 2004

I look at routines like Alfalfa's and I wonder if they're objectively better than mine. I would bet so since I don't have a degree in lifting weights but I don't really understand if mine is terrible and, if it is, what an appropriate routine would be. Like, I don't have any frame of reference to judge routines beyond "Is it based on heavy compound movements?" Beyond that, every routine is just a bunch of lifts and numbers that don't have any greater meaning to me.

I make gains doing my own thing but the sperg nerd in me wants to min/max my time in the gym.

quote:

Chest/Tris
BB Bench 4(sets)x4-6(reps)
DB Incline 4x4-6
Skull Crushers 3x10
Rope Triceps Pulldown 4x10
Cable Cross Over 3x10
Underhand Tri Pulldowns 3-4x10
Pec Deck 3x8-10

Back
BB Deadlift 3-4x10(working on form before I move into low reps/higher weight)
Pullups 4 sets(interspersed with deadlifts)
Seated Cable Rows 4x4-6
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 3x6-8
Close Grip Lat Pulldown 3x6-8
T-bar Rows 4x10

Bis/Tris/Shoulders
Preacher BB Curl 1x10, 3x4-6
Seated DB Hammer Curl 3x6
Close Grip Bench 3-4x10
Y Bar Triceps Pulldown 4x10
Standing Widegrip Curls 3x8-10 or Cable Rope Hammer Grip 3x8-10
Neutral Grip Tri pulldowns 4x10 (rope attachment)
Overhand Cable Curls 3x10 or Concentration Curls 3x10

BB Shrugs 4x6-8
BB Overhead Press 3x8-10
Front Raise 3x10
Side Cable Raise 3x10
Hammer Machine Shoulder Press 3x6-10(if I feel up to it)
(If I do shoulders on their own day I'll do hang cleans instead of front raise or something)

Legs
Squat 3x8-10
Leg Press 4x6-8 or ramping up weight from 10 reps to 1 rep(ex 1x10, 1x10, 1x6-8 etc)
Leg Curl 3x10
Leg Extension 3x10
Weighted lunges or calf raises or step ups or whatever.

After writing my entire routine down, the biggest thing that leaps out at me is the amount of cable work I do. Maybe I'm doing too many exercises on some days? Every couple of weeks I'll change a few of the exercises or rep ranges but that's about it.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Infantry officers have boners for run times.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
My right pec is so underdeveloped compared to my left.. :(

Right now I max my flat bench at 295, incline at 225 and decline at 275. I'm going to start at the beginning though and go no higher than 205 for 4-6 weeks while also doing no higher than 70s on BB bench and see if things even out.

Is this a good plan or am I just blessed with lovely genetics? I've heard of people adding a 5lb plate to the side they are smaller on but I don't really want to do that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ashmole posted:

Especially Petraeus. But I think we all know why, now.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

I look at routines like Alfalfa's and I wonder if they're objectively better than mine. I would bet so since I don't have a degree in lifting weights but I don't really understand if mine is terrible and, if it is, what an appropriate routine would be. Like, I don't have any frame of reference to judge routines beyond "Is it based on heavy compound movements?" Beyond that, every routine is just a bunch of lifts and numbers that don't have any greater meaning to me.

I make gains doing my own thing but the sperg nerd in me wants to min/max my time in the gym.

After writing my entire routine down, the biggest thing that leaps out at me is the amount of cable work I do. Maybe I'm doing too many exercises on some days? Every couple of weeks I'll change a few of the exercises or rep ranges but that's about it.

Are these 4-day a week splits? Like, you do Chest/Tris one day, Back another, and so on? Because I used to do it like that, but 6 days a week (especially in Afghanistan) and I was lifting a lot of loving weight after a month or so. However I also hurt myself a few times, including tearing the labrum in my right shoulder. I don't think I'll ever get past 225 on the bench again because of that, although it won't stop me from trying. Also, I was getting a ton of sleep (staff) and just took a shitton of jack3d and protein every night. I don't think any of that was an especially good idea, and as I get closer to 30 I'm trying to be more careful with my body. All that to say, the 3 day a week Alfalfa's is working really well so I'm gonna keep doing that for a while.

If you want better answers from people who know more than I do, I'd recommend posting in this thread.

Ashmole posted:

I know and I don't understand it. Running is cool and everything I guess, but I'd always rather lift a lot of weight and put some serious power behind my punch than say I can run fast. Then again infantry officers don't like fighting anymore either.

Of course, the runner officers weren't complaining when the other four meatheads in the battalion and I were smashing NCOs on the d-line during the turkey bowl on Tuesday. We won for he first time in years apparently.

vains
May 26, 2004

Martello posted:

Are these 4-day a week splits? Like, you do Chest/Tris one day, Back another, and so on? Because I used to do it like that, but 6 days a week (especially in Afghanistan) and I was lifting a lot of loving weight after a month or so. However I also hurt myself a few times, including tearing the labrum in my right shoulder. I don't think I'll ever get past 225 on the bench again because of that, although it won't stop me from trying. Also, I was getting a ton of sleep (staff) and just took a shitton of jack3d and protein every night. I don't think any of that was an especially good idea, and as I get closer to 30 I'm trying to be more careful with my body. All that to say, the 3 day a week Alfalfa's is working really well so I'm gonna keep doing that for a while.

If you want better answers from people who know more than I do, I'd recommend posting in this thread.

Yeah, 4 day splits unless I do shoulders on their own day. Depends on my schedule and how I'm feeling after doing bis/tris. I don't really understand why a 3 day split is desirable beyond rest days and reduced wear/tear.

Getting a response in that thread is real hit or miss because the thread moves so fast.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Veins McGee posted:

Yeah, 4 day splits unless I do shoulders on their own day. Depends on my schedule and how I'm feeling after doing bis/tris. I don't really understand why a 3 day split is desirable beyond rest days and reduced wear/tear.

Getting a response in that thread is real hit or miss because the thread moves so fast.

I think the 3 day thing is all about rest and reduced stress, yeah. I say give that thread a shot, most posts I see there get answers, so you should be good. Especially since you're asking reasonable, intelligent questions about your workout routine instead of some stupid poo poo about "will I make gains if I workout shoulders only seven days a week and eat a diet of pure leaf lard and Chinese discount protein powder?"

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
If you're fairly week upper and lower days can be pretty sweet, can do a ton of compound lifts in one session

I hurt my back so I only do 3 days a week right now :smith:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

psydude posted:

Especially Petraeus. But I think we all know why, now.

loving is good cardio.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Some of us don't excel at lifting weights and excel at things like biking and running. :shepface:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

MurderBot posted:

Some of us don't excel at lifting weights and excel at things like biking and running. :shepface:

Yeah which is totes cool and poo poo but I just wish there wasn't this gay Running Boy's Club thing in the Infantry where lifting and bulking is "not cool" and if you can't run very fast you're "in horrible shape and maybe not fit to lead soldiers."

Two of the other company commanders are like me and built for lifting, not running. So we'll never be very fast and I don't see why that should be a problem since we excel in strength stuff and fighting, but for some reason it is. It might have to do with the BC being 6'3" at 185 and having the minimum muscle mass required to hold his skeleton together. Sour grapes or some poo poo.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
It's always fun to see the 300 stud club fall out of ruck marches under weight on hilly to mountainous terrain. but hey it's not like you'll ever need to do any poo poo like that right, whereas errbody runnin 2 milers out in afghanistan.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I like both running AND lifting. Apparently this breaks a law of physics or something.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

You have to choose one or the other. It's like any star wars game out there. You either slay the Ewok and get badass dark force powers like death grip and force lightning, or spare his life and get pussy light side powers like force heal and force droid disable.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l68AYuXpDhE

I don't even know

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Ok, I'm tired of being too fat for the army. I've been on a diet for the past three weeks coming ever so close to passing tape. (225 lbs, 16.5" neck, 40.5" waist, need 22.5 difference)

My diet is approximately 1600-200 calories/day. My PT plan is pretty much wake up -> C4 -> treadmill at varying speed and distance/time. (an hour @ 6.5mph today, 2 miles @15'/break/2 miles @16' yesterday, etc.)

My first goal is lose weight/pass tape which through sheer stubbornness will happen although I am unsure of what an appropriate timeline that will be.

Second goal which will take longer I need an idea of how feasible it is. 300 APFT.
My last APFT I weighed in at 237, and ran the 2 miles in 16'54". How much weight am I going to have to lose to consider beating 13'18"?

The best time I ever had was about 14'50" and could expect around 15'30" with dedicated training and weighing less than 205.

When do I switch my focus from weight loss to run time improvement?
The other two events are suboptimal but not as difficult to imagine achieving after weight loss then maxing out the run.

Odds are next APFT will be in April. Who wants to join me in the max out challenge?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Crazy Mike posted:

Ok, I'm tired of being too fat for the army. I've been on a diet for the past three weeks coming ever so close to passing tape. (225 lbs, 16.5" neck, 40.5" waist, need 22.5 difference)

My diet is approximately 1600-200 calories/day. My PT plan is pretty much wake up -> C4 -> treadmill at varying speed and distance/time. (an hour @ 6.5mph today, 2 miles @15'/break/2 miles @16' yesterday, etc.)

My first goal is lose weight/pass tape which through sheer stubbornness will happen although I am unsure of what an appropriate timeline that will be.

Second goal which will take longer I need an idea of how feasible it is. 300 APFT.
My last APFT I weighed in at 237, and ran the 2 miles in 16'54". How much weight am I going to have to lose to consider beating 13'18"?

The best time I ever had was about 14'50" and could expect around 15'30" with dedicated training and weighing less than 205.

When do I switch my focus from weight loss to run time improvement?
The other two events are suboptimal but not as difficult to imagine achieving after weight loss then maxing out the run.

Odds are next APFT will be in April. Who wants to join me in the max out challenge?

Running at a constant speed never worked for me when it came to training for the run. Try HIIT. It's basically walk or jog for about two minutes and SPRINT, like balls the wall dogs are chasing you RUN FOR YOU LIFE SPRINT, for a minute. Your diet is most important, don't cheat, eat good stuff, cut out sugar etc etc etc. Losing weight helps a ton, but cardio is a bitch. Take a week off and you'll hurt bad.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Found a compilation of Moker and Death's lifts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYLQXnNHPg

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Some epic fails in there mate

vains
May 26, 2004

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Some epic fails in there mate

this

DB squeeze press feels like it hits your chest hard. It's goofy as hell getting into the starting position but they're a nice change of pace from BB bench.

Whats a good replacement for DB/BB incline press? I'd prefer to do something with DBs.

vains fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 28, 2012

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Running at a constant speed never worked for me when it came to training for the run. Try HIIT. It's basically walk or jog for about two minutes and SPRINT, like balls the wall dogs are chasing you RUN FOR YOU LIFE SPRINT, for a minute. Your diet is most important, don't cheat, eat good stuff, cut out sugar etc etc etc. Losing weight helps a ton, but cardio is a bitch. Take a week off and you'll hurt bad.

60/120 intervals worked a lot for me before, that's pretty much my APFT run style that got me to 15'30". Now I'm so weak I can't maintain 6 minute long sprints. I'm planning on getting back to that once I've slimmed down a significant amount. Are you aiming for 300?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Crazy Mike posted:

60/120 intervals worked a lot for me before, that's pretty much my APFT run style that got me to 15'30". Now I'm so weak I can't maintain 6 minute long sprints. I'm planning on getting back to that once I've slimmed down a significant amount. Are you aiming for 300?

I haven't maxed since I was 19 and my next APFT isn't for a year. But gently caress it I can test myself. I guess so.

Also I don't change pace on my run until the end when I start running like a mad man. Maybe that can work for you? Running was always mental to me.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Running was always mental to me.

Pretty much this. I can run forever if I'm in the mood for it. Or I'll say gently caress it and bow out after a mile. I need to stop saying gently caress it.

Anyone have a good marathon running plan? Assume I'm in miserable distance running shape, but I can do a 10k if I really had to. Every time I Google this poo poo the websites want me to pay for it, or are super vague. I'm tempted to sign up for the new York sports club to get their plan, and to have a better shot of getting in the marathon.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I find that I run better and longer when not on a traditional track. The best 1.5 mi PT test run I ever had was ran on a down-and-back course, and I've been able to run distances I normally never thought I could do like when I run around a park or around the flight line. Put me on a circular 1/4 mile track, especially for a test, and it fucks with me and I slow down. I don't think I've prepared any differently, but it's just this annoying mental block.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

All mind games broseph.

As far as running goes, it's a combination of both sprint/HIIT training and long slow distance training. Most days people should encourage you to do more sprints, 400's 800's or half mile to miles at a faster than comfort pace, and once or twice during the week "depending if you're running 4 or 5 days a week" should be your longer runs. I guess if you're going to focus solely on 2 miles, then anything past 4 miles I would consider icing on the cake.

I think the problem is that 3 days a week of running, for me, generally seems to be ineffective at increasing, but more along the lines of maintaining... Then again everyone responds differently, and those who don't run on a regular basis would probably see significant increases with 3...maybe even 2 days of training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Been gay for Crossfit for about three years now. From what I've seen it won't really make you huge if getting swole is your goal, but if you're big man by nature it will keep you nice and cut at your natural size.

I am 5'9, weighed roughly 135 going in, and have pretty much capped at 170 with no supplements, working out 5-6 days a week. Dream weight would be another 10 lbs of muscle, but at the rate things have been going I don't see that happening. In all if you want a high PFT score I'd recommend just training to the test, but if you want to be overall fit I'd highly recommend Crossfit. I vary from 270 to 280 without ever purposally training with the test in mind. Been using http://wodshop.org/wods.html for several months, just snagging anything difficult that I can actually accomplish.

I agree with the mindset that varied and non-specific workouts are best. The logic being there is no workout that is going to make you perfect for every crisis situation.