Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

How is American Nightmare?

I'm going to get Botanicula, To the moon, Blackwell and Machinarium but I'm not sure about the 5th game.

I don't own any of these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kennel posted:

Based on first few levels, Mutant Mudds isn't too exciting (but I think someone said, it will get better).

It's the highest-rated downloadable game on the 3DS, last I checked, which suggests that there's a bit more to it than the initial dismissals.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Five more games I won't be playing, but I that I will purchase anyway because it's too good a deal and this money is burning my pocket. :ohdear:

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I really enjoyed it, not too long and doesn't have that many environments, but a pretty solid standalone story and it's a lot more action packed than the original game (more weapons too).

For $2 (assuming there is other stuff that catches your eye in the sale) it's a steal, it's worth that price for the villain and the new music tracks alone!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

This sale owns, paying $2 for four Blackwell games, five Geneforge titles, American Nightmare, Gemini Rue, Resonance or To The Moon should be a crime.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

I'm going to get Botanicula, To the moon, Blackwell and Machinarium but I'm not sure about the 5th game.

I don't own any of these games.

If you enjoyed the story at all in Alan Wake, American Nightmare is a must. The story continues/concludes the story. It'll be interesting to see where Remedy goes from here but whatever it is I'm 100% on board.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VisAbsoluta posted:

This sale owns, paying $2 for four Blackwell games, five Geneforge titles, American Nightmare, Gemini Rue, Resonance or To The Moon should be a crime.

This reminds me; For the few asking what to get; To The Moon. Even as a "eh, why not" afterthought 5th title in your bundle. It's only about 2-3 hours long, but the story is really good. It is also very sad :ohdear:.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Regarding the sale, does anyone know if you can make multiple purchases, e.g. buy two sets of 5 games for $10 each, totaling $20?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

univbee posted:

Regarding the sale, does anyone know if you can make multiple purchases, e.g. buy two sets of 5 games for $10 each, totaling $20?

I just bought two quintets myself. You have to buy your 5, check out, then come back and repeat.

I already had 8 of the 20 games on that list (kind of narked off that I paid so much for Alan Wake + expansion) and bought two sets of 5. I can still get the last two for $10 (Defcon & Uplink), but I don't think that I will - just doesn't seem worth it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

It's more Alan Wake, but with some of the kinks worked out and a better overall presentation. Oh, and the setting is more interesting.

Get it if you liked the first one, or get it if you like action games/coverless third-person shooters.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Holy crap this is a great deal. Being too cheap to shell out for the Geneforge series all these years has finally paid off. :D

Besides that, so far I've decided to grab Botanicula, Machinarium, and To the Moon...kind of iffy on my last choice, I already have Torchlight and Gemini Rue and the Blackwell games but I've never really heard of any of the others. Any goon recommendations there? SpaceChem and The Ball both look pretty interesting.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Bats posted:

If you enjoyed the story at all in Alan Wake, American Nightmare is a must. The story continues/concludes the story. It'll be interesting to see where Remedy goes from here but whatever it is I'm 100% on board.

Too bad Remedy has stated the game is non-canon. So everything that happens has no bearing on the story.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Real Texas was just added to GOG's Macside. Thoughts on this? I'm not spending money on any games for the foreseeable future, but I'm making a list of stuff I'd like to pick up once I resume. What are everyone's thoughts on this one?

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/the_real_texas

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
@PureRok

After a quick google search, I found the writer for Alan Wake and AN stating that it is canon on their forum

quote:

It's canon.

quote:

I guess it's all in how you look at it. The point is, this is a kind of a side trip for Wake. I'm not saying it's not significant, because it is! But we have also intentionally picked a pretty different tone for the game -- it really is intended to be a standalone thing rather than "season 2" of Alan Wake. Think of it as a TV movie, perhaps?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Zoe posted:

Holy crap this is a great deal. Being too cheap to shell out for the Geneforge series all these years has finally paid off. :D

Besides that, so far I've decided to grab Botanicula, Machinarium, and To the Moon...kind of iffy on my last choice, I already have Torchlight and Gemini Rue and the Blackwell games but I've never really heard of any of the others. Any goon recommendations there? SpaceChem and The Ball both look pretty interesting.

SpaceChem is really great but it will make you feel really dumb (unless you have a real knack for programming, I guess). Overall, I'd recommend it.

You haven't mentioned Trine. I case you haven't played it, it's a neat puzzle platformer (and I normally hate puzzle platformers) and would also be a good buy.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zoe posted:

SpaceChem and The Ball both look pretty interesting.

The Ball is decent, but not particularly great.

SpaceChem is a multi-award-winning puzzle game titan. Just expect it to hammer your brain into paste before you're done.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Imperialism is one of the first games I ever bought for my PC, and it's the first strategy game I ever played. It's a good guiltless "European powers f***ing each other over while stomping on lesser countries" thing going for it, but IIRC, it's more about economy and production than war, although there's plenty of that in the game. There was also an episode of Three Moves Ahead dedicated to it: http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2010/04/20/three-moves-ahead-episode-61-classic-game-analysis-imperialism/

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I keep lowering my price point and now there are all these bundles of 5 4 10. At least I don't have to trade for that one Humble Bundle.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

The only game on there that I don't have is Mutant Mudds. Anyone buying a bundle want to split the cost (I'll pay you the $2 if there's only 4 games on the list that tickle your fancy) and just throw the files my way later?

It feels like a waste paying $10 for the bundle to get duplicates, or $9.96 on Desura for just Mudds when I can both Mutant Mudds and The Real Texas for the same kind of money.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So when is the announcement for the next developer taking place?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

ClownSyndrome posted:

@PureRok

After a quick google search, I found the writer for Alan Wake and AN stating that it is canon on their forum

I guess I can't trust user reviews.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Ulgress posted:

The only game on there that I don't have is Mutant Mudds. Anyone buying a bundle want to split the cost (I'll pay you the $2 if there's only 4 games on the list that tickle your fancy) and just throw the files my way later?

It feels like a waste paying $10 for the bundle to get duplicates, or $9.96 on Desura for just Mudds when I can both Mutant Mudds and The Real Texas for the same kind of money.

Do you own the other games on GoG? If you buy a giftcode and redeem it, only the games you don't own get redeemed. You can then send the giftcode of the other games to someone else.

So let's say you buy Spacechem, Uplink, Defcon, Torchlight, and Mutant Mudds and send a giftcode to yourself; if you already own the previous 4 games, only Mutant Mudds gets redeemed. You can then send that giftcode containing the other 4 games to someone else.

From there you can probably work out a deal with someone or sell a giftcode for $8

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Bought American Nightmare, Botanicula, Machinarium, Blackwell and To the moon. Saved 50 bucks. That's some great value.

Also, it seems you can simply use the promo page over and over, so you can buy all 20 games for $40 if you'd like.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I already had 8 of the 20 games on this sale, and I picked up two 5-packs this morning, but I'm still missing Defcon and Uplink. Now, I don't want to pay $10 just for those, but if anybody would be willing to toss me a non-special $5.99+ game that I don't have yet, I would be willing to buy those two games, keep them, and give you whatever other 3 you fancy on that special as a gift.

I know that this makes me sound like a cheap bastard, and I am. I kind of have a rule when I buy games on GOG, and while 2 for $10 isn't a "good deal" to me, what would ostensibly be 3 for $10 is, so if anyone's keen on that idea, let me know.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm a bad indie gamer and haven't played any of these. Can't make up my mind between Botanicula, To The Moon, Blackwell, Uplink, Machinarium, and Darwinia, need to drop one. Which of these games would you say is the weakest of the five? I enjoy strategy and adventure games equally well.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

moot the hopple posted:

I'm a bad indie gamer and haven't played any of these. Can't make up my mind between Botanicula, To The Moon, Blackwell, Uplink, Machinarium, and Darwinia, need to drop one. Which of these games would you say is the weakest of the five? I enjoy strategy and adventure games equally well.

I really, truly wanted to enjoy Darwinia because I thought Uplink was awesome. But I just couldn't get into it at all and gave up on it. I think you'd be OK dropping it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

Darwinia is great but it's the oldest of the lot and can be picked up for a small price on sale on Steam regularly.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

ChikoDemono posted:

Do you own the other games on GoG? If you buy a giftcode and redeem it, only the games you don't own get redeemed. You can then send the giftcode of the other games to someone else.

So let's say you buy Spacechem, Uplink, Defcon, Torchlight, and Mutant Mudds and send a giftcode to yourself; if you already own the previous 4 games, only Mutant Mudds gets redeemed. You can then send that giftcode containing the other 4 games to someone else.

From there you can probably work out a deal with someone or sell a giftcode for $8

Does this split out the gift into individual titles?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

illectro posted:

Does this split out the gift into individual titles?

No, it doesn't.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

I haven't played To The Moon or Blackwell, but between the others, I'd consider Machinarium to be the weakest.

That said, you should also drop one more and replace it with SpaceChem. :getin:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Honestly, I've found To The Moon to be pretty lame and overrated. Great premise, but the writing just isn't good enough to pull it off. A shame, really, as I'd love more games to explore such personal themes.

Still worth the ridiculously low price, though. Just don't drop anything Wadjet Eye, Spacechem nor Geneforge for it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I can't imagine there's anyone out there who doesn't own SpaceChem but if you don't you should get it. It's one of those games that keeps you up at night thinking about it. The puzzles will break your brain. In a good way.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I can't imagine there's anyone out there who doesn't own SpaceChem but if you don't you should get it. It's one of those games that keeps you up at night thinking about it. The puzzles will break your brain. In a good way.

I love this game. It was not an uncommon occurrence for me to load up a new level, immediately say 'this is impossible' and close the game. Queue several hours/a day of thinking about the level and then coming back and crushing it.
Everyone should play SpaceChem.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

JustJeff88 posted:

I already had 8 of the 20 games on this sale, and I picked up two 5-packs this morning, but I'm still missing Defcon and Uplink. Now, I don't want to pay $10 just for those, but if anybody would be willing to toss me a non-special $5.99+ game that I don't have yet, I would be willing to buy those two games, keep them, and give you whatever other 3 you fancy on that special as a gift.

I know that this makes me sound like a cheap bastard, and I am. I kind of have a rule when I buy games on GOG, and while 2 for $10 isn't a "good deal" to me, what would ostensibly be 3 for $10 is, so if anyone's keen on that idea, let me know.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

I'd be down for this. I was looking to get Resonance, Botanicula and Unmechanical. My email is zeeman800 at gmail.com.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ulgress posted:

Let me know (via PM if you have that capability) if you want to work something out. As of this morning I am just missing Uplink and Defcon from that list, but I don't want to pay the $10 for just those and 3 giftables.

Maybe a 3rd party would just like Alan Wake and the expansion? That's an amazing deal for $4 or so.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm really enjoying Resonance so far. It's a proper point-and-click puzzle/adventure game, with a really interesting mechanic and a pretty grabbing plot.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
Okay, I've just recently gotten back into PC gaming and this seems like a pretty sweet deal. The only game I already have out of all of these is Torchlight.

So far, based on the chatter here, I've picked SpaceChem, Geneforge, Resonance and the Blackwell Bundle.

What should I pick for my fifth? I'm leaning toward Defcon...

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ScottyBomb posted:

Okay, I've just recently gotten back into PC gaming and this seems like a pretty sweet deal. The only game I already have out of all of these is Torchlight.

So far, based on the chatter here, I've picked SpaceChem, Geneforge, Resonance and the Blackwell Bundle.

I'd do Gemini Rue to round out the Wadjet Eye set.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I found La Mulana a really fascinating timewaster. A reviewer in a local gaming magazine described it as a mix of Castlevania, Metroid and Dark Souls. I think the description fits very well, it's hard as hell but good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ScottyBomb posted:

Defcon is really excellent in two ways: atmospherically, and as multiplayer strategy. The first will get you through a couple hours of single player, then you'll occasionally fire it up to get your War Games feel, and that's it. The latter will be where the majority of the gameplay will be.

And that multi gameplay is horrendously intense. Single player, kinda meh. Also if it matters, multi requires a serial (provided by GOG) and goes through authentication servers. Don't know about serial-free LAN play.