Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is the YouTube app not working yet? I started it up and I just went to a description of it. When I hit the Plus button it told me it needed a software update to work but I didn't see any way to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Random Stranger posted:

Is the YouTube app not working yet? I started it up and I just went to a description of it. When I hit the Plus button it told me it needed a software update to work but I didn't see any way to do that.

All the video apps save for Netflix are coming in December along with TVii.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Also note that youtube works very nicely in the web browser

Edit: Speaking of which, if you watch a video on Youtube using the web browser, you get a little button on the lower right of the gamepad screen. If you tap it, the video stays on your TV but the gamepad just goes back to the internet browser. You can even close the youtube tab you had open and go back on browsing other tabs if you want. Last night I watched youtube videos on my HDTV while surfing the forums on the gamepad, pretty neat.

It also makes me hopeful that more apps can do more multitasking things like this in the future.

vvvv
haha, you beat me on my edit :argh:

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 21, 2012

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Seaniqua posted:

Also note that youtube works very nicely in the web browser

Videos in general work real nice in the browser. I love how you can slide them up on the gamepad so you can keep browsing while they play on the TV.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
drat, nice interface and kicking music, but I really hope Nintendo patches the incredibly slow loading times for the different apps/stuff.
Since I'm in Mexico I guess I have no use for Hulu and Amazon, which I think are region specific. Should open up some more space in my system's memory.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
On the subject of crashes, I think the fix for Nintendo Land crashing is to set the language to English only. Someone suggested that on the Miiverse community and I haven't had a crash since. It may be too early to tell, but they were very frequent before.

To change the language, go into Nintendo Land, click options, click visitor admission, and select English only.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Refusing admission to foreigners: it's the American way.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thanks for pointing that out, though I had the system hardlock on me when I started the browser. I had to pull the power to shut it down.

Goddamn that Miiverse stuff is really annoying. It's like a constant stream of annoyance when I'm on the menu. I tried to find an option to stop it but I couldn't find it. Is there anyway to get rid of the crowd spewing stuff onto my television?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

liquidypoo posted:

Were you able to pick a level you hadn't finished yet for online play? The PS3/360 version had this ridiculous restriction where you weren't allowed to play a stage online until after you had completed it once already.

Same restriction on the wii u version

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

MrMoose posted:

So, is anyone else getting a lockup in Mario U when they beat the first desert level and that little guy runs off from the toad house? I've locked up twice in the same spot :( Can't continue playing the game as a result.

I had Mario U hardlock on me 3 times within 40 minutes or so, I really hope it's just the game and not my Wii U :smith: Nintendoland only hardlocked on me once out of 7-8 hours of playtime.

I'm going to try some other games and just hope its NSMBU.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
I still can't get over how slick and effective the browser is.

posted from my Nintendo WiiUtm

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

insidius posted:

Yeah...no.

This comes into play at 25 Metres or longer which 99% of the population is never going to encounter.

Use the one that comes in the box and if you need an extra buy it from where ever you can find it cheapest. 25 meters or more? Just get a cable with an amplifier for the signal. Anything out side of this is nothing more than fluff people use to justify wasting their money.

Thanks for your post, but I was talking to the person who said HDMI either works or it doesn't. I've had 2 meter cables get sparkles before. It's normally a failure in the cable, which is more likely to occur in a cheap cable.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
If you end up buying a couple cheap HDMIs because they have a higher failure rate you still come out way ahead of buying some dumb premium cable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The store too is great. Somehow we live in an age of madness where a Nintendo online store is better than a competitor's (anyone try out the new Playstation Store yet? :bang: ). I feel like Nintendo is slowly but surely going in the right direction with the online stuff.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Neo Rasa posted:

The store too is great. Somehow we live in an age of madness where a Nintendo online store is better than a competitor's (anyone try out the new Playstation Store yet? :bang: ). I feel like Nintendo is slowly but surely going in the right direction with the online stuff.

Yet everyone will still remember the locked Nintendo Network ID's. :negative:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Doesn't the 360 work like this also? If I put my 360 gamertag onto a new system I still have to be online to use any of my stuff. If I want it to belong to that system I have to transfer the rights to that system, which I believe they only let you do once a year. After my third 360 got the three red lights within four months though I went Sony/Nintendo for life so I don't know if they changed this.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Gendo posted:

If you end up buying a couple cheap HDMIs because they have a higher failure rate you still come out way ahead of buying some dumb premium cable.

Seriously, you can get a decent HDMI cable for <$3 online, think about how many of those would have to be broken before buying one for $25 at Best Buy makes sense.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Gendo posted:

I agree. I have monoprice cables at home. The point I was trying to make is there are levels of HDMI failure. It's not ON or OFF like most people think it is.

Sorry for the derail, i'm just sad I can't find an Wii U in stock :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Neo Rasa posted:

Doesn't the 360 work like this also? If I put my 360 gamertag onto a new system I still have to be online to use any of my stuff. If I want it to belong to that system I have to transfer the rights to that system, which I believe they only let you do once a year. After my third 360 got the three red lights within four months though I went Sony/Nintendo for life so I don't know if they changed this.

Nah, you can sign into your xbox live account and play as long as you are logged in.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Not quite no. On the Wii U, when you make create Nintendo Network ID, it's locked to that system and you can't use it on another Wii U at all.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Nevermind, i think we are talking about different things.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

Aren't they technically not locked? Didn't the guy who has to send his defective Wii U in say they were going to transfer his eshop purchase? It's probably only a matter of time before they implement a system to system transfer like the 3DS.

Nintendo has had their own internal tools for that since the Wii. But there's nothing on the user side to be able to move their account over. It's a serious misstep especially for those who are accustomed to the way Sony and Microsoft handle things.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

You've correctly described how the 360 works, but if you think that's how it works on the WiiU, you might want to dig a little deeper.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Are you just supposed to die a fuckton in ZombiU? Because that's what I do. I die.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Yes. :).

Also, I received a message saying I had a post removed because it violated the Nintendo terms of service. The post was me asking if I could play darksiders II on my pad rather than the TV. :what:

Oh wait I said "thanks everyone, awesome" when people replied that yes you could, and that post was deleted. I wonder if its just automated. I should try reporting random garbage and see if an auto admin just deletes it without reviewing.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 21, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Utnayan posted:

Also, I received a message saying I had a post removed because it violated the Nintendo terms of service. The post was me asking if I could play darksiders II on my pad rather than the TV. :what:

Too Darksided for the Miiverse. I wonder what other innocuous things will accidentally get a post removed?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The Wii U comes out in Australia on the 30th. Will I be able to use all this netflix/hulu business or is that US-only?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Utnayan posted:

Oh wait I said "thanks everyone, awesome" when people replied that yes you could, and that post was deleted. I wonder if its just automated. I should try reporting random garbage and see if an auto admin just deletes it without reviewing.
Low content post? :v: Maybe it filters stuff below x number of words or something, or they wanted you to Yeah! the other posts :iiam:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I'm to the part after the super market where you get bum rushed at the safe house and keep dying. If I keep picking off one or two at a time will they eventually stop or am I forever doomed at this point and should start over?

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Utnayan posted:

Neo Rasa posted:

Too Darksided for the Miiverse. I wonder what other innocuous things will accidentally get a post removed?

I've not only made a weed joke regarding smoking a Budlord in Pikmin, but directly referenced sacrificing baby Yoshis to Satan in a reply to another goon's drawing depicting pentagrams, and none of these posts were moderated.

Seems pretty random!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AgentF posted:

The Wii U comes out in Australia on the 30th. Will I be able to use all this netflix/hulu business or is that US-only?

It'll definitely be US only, but there should be some terrible local service there instead. You could import a US Wii U and fake a US IP. Even if you also import your whole library it'll be cheaper than Australia.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 21, 2012

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Skunk Ape posted:

I've not only made a weed joke regarding smoking a Budlord in Pikmin, but directly referenced sacrificing baby Yoshis to Satan in a reply to another goon's drawing depicting pentagrams, and none of these posts were moderated.

Seems pretty random!

Lol that's awesome.

If anyone knows of a fix to make sure my tv screen does not overscan, I'm all ears. My tv is set correctly to normal, the confit is set to 1080p, yet I'm still getting games cutting off graphically on my display.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Wii u purchase, instantly worth it. I'm posting this from my phone so I pray I don't break the tables. Even if I do the probation will be worth it for this.

E: auto correct sucks.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 21, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Diametunim posted:

Wii you purchase, instantly worth it. I'm posting this from my phone so I pray I don't break the tables. Even if I do the probation will be worth it for this.

That's awesome.

edit: This will be the easiest Ben Heck handheld mod of all time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 21, 2012

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Diametunim posted:

Wii you purchase, instantly worth it. I'm posting this from my phone so I pray I don't break the tables. Even if I do the probation will be worth it for this.

[timg] http://imgur.com/2SjMF.jpg[/timg]

How'd you get past the bit with the cards? Guessing?

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

How'd you get past the bit with the cards? Guessing?
console was set up beforehand with a TV, so there's still no hope for that guy that didn't have a TV a few pages back, sorry.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Diametunim posted:

console was set up beforehand with a TV, so there's still no hope for that guy that didn't have a TV a few pages back, sorry.

Ah. Thought that was you driving home from the store or something. WELP.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Wow, I never considered that. You could actually have a Wii U plugged into one of those seat LCDs while the passenger plays with the Gamepad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Miiverse is the best. Since every game has a community, even terrible shovelware is going to produce gold. The Funky Barn community is cracking me up. Everyone should check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Wow, I never considered that. You could actually have a Wii U plugged into one of those seat LCDs while the passenger plays with the Gamepad.

Doesn't even have to be plugged in to one of those AFAIK, should work just fine without one.

• Locked thread