Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Persona 4: Golden is a remake of 2008’s Persona 4 for the PS Vita. The game features additional Personas, Social Links, new story events, and BIKES! The original game was a turned based RPG developed by Atlus, and was praised for its story, characters and gameplay. Persona 4 uses an innovative gameplay system that is half dungeon-crawler, half school-life simulator, both of which feed into each other. Persona 4: Golden was released November 20th in NA, and is scheduled for a February 22nd released in Europe (although Vita’s are region free)

Story:

Persona 4 places you in the role of an unnamed high school student (canonically Yu Narukami), who’s recently moved to the rural town of Inaba, a small town which has recently been struck by mysterious murders. Following rumors of “The Midnight Channel”, a TV show that supposedly shows on turned off TVs on a rainy midnight, you and your friends discover a mysterious world within the TV, which seem to be related to the murders. With the power of your Personas, manifestations of your inner self, you and your friends investigate the TV World and the string of murders plaguing the town.

Characters:

Yu Narukami:

Your avatar in the story. Originally from the city, you’ve moved to Inaba for the year because of your parent's work. In combat, you have the unique ability to change between multiple Personas, diversifying your combat options.

Yosuke Hanamura:

Pretty much your sidekick, Yosuke is the son of the manager of Junes, a local department store. For better or for worse, Yosuke is your average teenager. At the end of the day, he means well, but can be a jerk along the way. In combat Yosuke is well-rounded: capable of healing, doing decent magical and physical damage, and using some buffs/debuffs/status effects. Voiced by Yuri Lowenthal.

Persona: Jiraiya
Arcana: Magician

Chie Satonaka:

Your classmate, Chie likes Kung-fu and fsteaks. Chie mainly fights with physical attacks, but can also use some Ice magic. Voiced by Tracy Rooney in the original, and Erin Fitzgerald in Golden.

Persona: Tomoe Gozen
Arcana: Chariot

Yukiko Amagi:

The heiress to a local Inn, Yukiko is intelligent but introverted. In combat, Yukiko can heal and use powerful fire magic. Voiced by Amanda Winn Lee.

Persona: Konohana Sakuya
Arcana: Priestess

Kanji Tatsumi:

A first-year delinquent, Kanji is hot-headed and awesome. Beats the crap out of enemies with a folding chair, and occasionally lightning magic. Voiced by Troy Baker.

Persona: Take-Mikazuchi
Arcana: Emperor

Rise Kujikawa:

A renowned idol, who returns to her hometown of Inaba hoping to take a break from show business. Rise doesn’t actually fight alongside you, but rather supports you while you dungeon crawl, analysing enemies and providing other benefits. Voiced by Laura Bailey.

Persona: Himiko
Arcana: Lovers

Teddie:

A bear who lives inside the TV world, although even he doesn’t know why. Beary good in combat, because he can use powerful Ice magic and healing spells. Voiced by Dave Wittenberg in the original, and by Sam Riegel in Golden.

Persona: Kintoki-Douji
Arcana: Star

Naoto Shirogane:

An ace defective detective brought in by the Inaba Police to investigate the murders. He’s somewhat interesting in combat, using light and dark aligned instant kill magic, costly but unblockable almighty magic, and some physical skills. Nobody actually knows who voices him :iiam:

Ryotaro and Nanako Dojima:

Your uncle and your cousin. Your hosts during your stay in Inaba. A hard-working member of the police force, Dojima raises his daughter, Nanako, when the TV is busy. Because of this, and because of her deceased mom, Nanako is unusually mature for her age. Voiced by J.B Blanc and Karen Strassman.

Arcana: Hierophant (Ryotaro), Justice (Nanako)

Arcana: Justice

Marie:

A new character added for the remake. Marie works as an attendant at the mysterious Velvet Room, the otherworldly place where your main character fuses new Personas. Marie is also one of the new Social Links in the game (more on those later), representing the Aeon arcana.

Combat:

Persona 4’s gameplay is a twist on the standard JRPG battle formula. If one of your characters hits an enemy weakness, they’ll get an extra turn to attack, and the enemy will go down. Hit a downed enemy and they’ll miss a turn, or down every enemy and all your party members can use a powerful team attack on all foes. Gameplay tends to be fairly strategic, buffs and status effects are useful, and even random encounters stand a chance of killing you.

Furthermore, while your allies have predetermined stats and skills, the main character can change between Personas at will. Different Personas have different skills and different stats, meaning the main character is by far the most versatile and powerful party member. Which is good, because if he dies, it’s game over.

New Personas are acquired after battles, or more importantly through the game’s fusion system Outside of dungeons, you can fuse various old Personas together to gain stronger personas of a higher level. The new Persona inherits skills from the old Personas, although some Persona’s can’t inherit some skills (so Big Fire Dude can’t use Big Ice Attack.) New to Golden is the much, much demanded ability to choose which skills a Persona inherits. The result of a fusion is determined by the Arcanas of the ingredients, and their base levels. Multiple types of fusions exist, double and triple fusions are the standard, while specific fusions of greater numbers of demons exist too.

Social Links:

Counterbalancing the dungeon-crawling aspect of the game, is the simulator aspect of the game. The entirety of Persona 4 takes place over around a year, with you playing out nearly every day in between. During the day you go to school, and explore the city of Inaba. After school, you can spend your afternoon doing things like eating an ungodly amount of ramen, or more importantly, spending time with your peers.

Throughout the city of Inaba are various important characters (each corresponding to one of the Major Arcana), with whom you can build Social Links. As you spend time with these characters and learn their stories, your Rank in their Arcana increases, allowing fused Personas of the same Arcana to get large experience boosts, and at Rank 10 letting you fuse the ultimate Persona of that Arcana. Party members also get various bonuses as their Social Link Rank increases. In Golden, these skills have been extended to include new skills (although not always new skills, but rather skills they learned just from leveling in vanilla P4.)

Furthermore, new to Golden, are so-called Bike Skills. At various points in the game you can go on Bike dates with a party member, giving them to option to learn a new Skill.

Time management is important, as in the midst of all this Social Link fun, it’s also necessary to clear a dungeon before fog rolls into town, because of plot (the weather can be easily checked).

Tips and Advice:

-The Hermit Social Link (The fox at the shrine) has a side advantage of letting you pay money for SP restoration at the entrance to a dungeon, letting you restore SP without leaving the dungeon for the day. Money per SP restored goes down as your rank goes up, so take advantage of this. Here’s a guide to completing his requests, although apparently they’ve changed some of the requests for Golden: http://persona4.wikidot.com/quests
-Similarly, party member Social Links are more valuable than links with non party members.
-Don’t worry about maxing every link. Just relax and enjoy the game.
-The game has three endings: A good ending, a bad ending, and a true ending. The bad ending is triggered in late December. After some dramatic plot events, Yosuke will ask you a series of 6 questions. Answers these questions right to avoid the bad end. (The right answers are 3,1,3, 2, 3, 2). To get the true ending, go to Junes after the game has seemingly ended, even if the game tells you there’s no reason to.

New Features:

-Improved Graphics
-Choose which skills Personas inherit
-Two new Social Links: Marie and Adachi
-New Personas, as well as third tier Personas for party members (Unlocked by reaching Rank 10, then spending time with them again after 1/10)
-New difficulty levels (Very easy, easy, normal, hard, very hard)
-More Voice acting
-New animated cutscenes
-New areas (Beach and a ski resort, Okina City, increased access to Inaba at night)
-New events (Halloween, Skiing!)
-BIKES! (You can get around town on motorbikes, and your party members learn new skills by going on Bike dates with you)
-Tag Team attacks
-Wi-Fi features. Use SOS to connect to other players, gaining HP and SP depending on how many you connect with. Furthermore, you can also see what other players are doing at the same time of the game you’re at.
-Gardening! (Which gets you items that can do things like cast Makarakarn)
-Bug Catching Mini-game (Use them as bait for the Fishing Mini-game!)
-A Quiz show mini-game
-Scene Skip
-The game is extended to February 24th (so long as you avoid the bad endings)

Reviews:

Metacritic: 94
RPG Fan: 98
GameInformer: 85
Famitsu: 9/9/9/8

Media:

English Trailer

New Movesets: (Stolen from Gamefaqs)

Yosuke:

Persona:

-Jiraiya: Resists wind and weak to electricity.
-Susano-o: Nulls wind, resists fire and weak to electricity.
-Takehaya Susano-o: Absorbs wind, nulls fire, and weak to electricity.

Skills:

-Garu
-Bash
-Dia
-Sukukaja (Lv. 5)
-Makajam (Lv. 10)
-Magaru (Lv. 18)
-Tentarafoo (Lv. 23)
-Garula (Lv. 29)
-Power Slash (Lv. 34)
-Magarula (Lv. 40)
-Wind Boost (Lv. 44)
-Wind Break (Lv. 49)
-Garudyne (Lv. 53)
-Masukukaja (Lv. 60)
-Magarudyne (Lv. 64)
-Brave Blade (Lv. 69)
-Wind Amp (Lv. 73)

S. Link:

-Trafuri (Rank 2)
-Dekaja (Rank 4)
-Auto-Sukukaja (Rank 6)
-Diarama (Rank 8)
-Evade Elec (Rank 10)

Bike:

-Confuse Up (Rank 1)
-Megido (Rank 2)
-Green Wall (Rank 3)
-Makara Break (Rank 4)
-Diarahan (Rank 5)

Exclusive:

-Wind of Youth: Mediarama + Masukukaja.

Chie:

Persona:

-Tomoe: Resists ice and weak to fire.
-Suzuka Gogen: Nulls ice and weak to fire.
-Haraedo-no-Okami: Absorbs ice, nulls light, and weak to fire.

Skills:

-Skewer
-Tarukaja
-Bufu (Lv. 6)
-Skull Cracker (Lv. 11)
-Mabufu (Lv. 14)
-Rampage (Lv. 20)
-Assault Dive (Lv. 22)
-Counter (Lv. 24)
-Gale Slash (Lv. 29)
-Apt Pupil (Lv. 33)
-Auto-Tarukaja (Lv. 36)
-Black Spot (Lv. 38)
-Counterstrike (Lv. 43)
-Heat Wave (Lv. 46)
-Power Charge (Lv. 52)
-High Counter (Lv. 61)
-Rainy Death (Lv. 67)
-God's Hand (Lv. 70)
-Agneyastra (Lv. 74)

S. Link:

-Rebellion (Rank 2)
-Ice Boost (Rank 4)
-Revolution (Rank 6)
-Bufula (Rank 8)
-Evade Fire (Rank 10)

Bike:

-Hama (Rank 1)
-Mind Slice (Rank 2)
-Hamaon (Rank 3)
-Tetra Break (Rank 4)
-Bufudyne (Rank 5)

Exclusive:

-Dragon Hustle: Heat Riser to the whole party.

Yukiko:

Persona:

-Konohana Sakuya: Resist fire and weak to ice.
-Amaterasu: Nulls Fire, resists electricity, and weak to ice.
-Sume-Omikami: Absorbs Fire, nulls electricity, and weak to ice. (Not listed but this is most likely it.)

Skills:

-Dia
-Agi
-Me Patra
-Maragi
-Media (Lv. 16)
-Agilao (Lv. 21)
-Recarm (Lv. 26)
-Fire Break (Lv. 30)
-Diarama (Lv. 33)
-Maragion (Lv. 39)
-Mediarama (Lv. 43)
-Fire Boost (Lv. 45)
-Agidyne (Lv. 51)
-Diarahan (Lv. 55)
-Samarecarm (Lv. 59)
-Mediarahan (Lv. 65)
-Maragidyne (Lv. 68)
-Salvation (Lv. 74)
-Fire Amp (Lv. 76)

S. Link:

-Mudo (Rank 2)
-Divine Grace (Rank 4)
-Amrita (Rank 6)
-Mudoon (Rank 8)
-Evade Ice (Rank 10)

Bike:

-Valiant Dance (Rank 1)
-Marakunda (Rank 2)
-Red Wall (Rank 3)
-Spirit Drain (Rank 4)
-Mind Charge (Rank 5)

Exclusive:

-Flower Flame: Severe fire damage to all enemies.

Kanji:

Persona:

-Take-Mikazuchi: Resists electricity and weak to wind.
-Rokuten Maoh: Nulls electricity and weak to wind.
-Takejizaiten: Absorbs electricity, resists physical, and weak to wind.

Skills:

-Mazio
-Zionga
-Rakukaja
-Kill Rush
-Regenerate 1
-Elec Boost (Lv. 27)
-Fatal End (Lv. 34)
-Cruel Attack (Lv. 38)
-Mazionga (Lv. 40)
-Torrent Shot (Lv. 44)
-Elec Break (Lv. 48)
-Ziodyne (Lv. 54)
-Vile Assault (Lv. 58)
-Matarukaja (Lv. 60)
-Maziodyne (Lv. 67)
-Primal Force (Lv. 73)
-Elec Amp (Lv. 75)

S. Link:

-Dizzy Boost (Rank 2)
-Masukunda(Rank 4)
-Power Charge(Rank 6)
-Regenerate 3 (Rank 8)
-Evade Wind(Rank 10)

Bike:

-Media (Rank 1)
-Atom Smasher (Rank 2)
-Blue Wall (Rank 3)
-Speedy Recovery (Rank 4)
-Mediarama (Rank 5)

Exclusive:
-Kan no Hanamichi: Chance of causing down and dizzy. All foes.

Teddie:

Persona:
-Kintoki-Douji: Resists ice and weak to electricity.
-Kamui: Nulls ice, resists wind and darkness, and weak to electricity.
-Kamuy-Mosir: Absorbs ice, nulls wind and darkness, and weak to electricity.

Skills:

-Mediarama
-Bufula
-Energy Shower
-Traesto (Lv. 36)
-Mabufula (Lv. 38)
-Ice Boost (Lv. 40)
-Matarukaja (Lv. 42)
-Ice Break (Lv. 44)
-Diarahan (Lv. 49)
-Bufudyne (Lv. 54)
-Marakukaja (Lv. 58)
-Amrita (Lv. 61)
-Gigantic Fist (Lv. 63)
-Mabufudyne (Lv. 67)
-Mediarahan (Lv. 70)
-Ice Amp (Lv. 72)

S. Link:

-Auto-Rakukaja (Rank 2)
-Recarm (Rank 4)
-Marakunda (Rank 6)
-Samarecarm (Rank 8)
-Evade Elec (Rank 10)

Bike:

-Dekunda (Rank 1)
-Life Drain (Rank 2)
-Mustard Bomb (Rank 3)
-White Wall (Rank 4)
-Evade Physical (Rank 5)

Exclusive:

-Kamukamu Miracle: Random effect: All allies and/or all foes' HP and SP fully recovered; All allies and/or all foes downed; All allies and/or all foes inflicted with random status ailment; Nothing happens.

Rise:

Skills:

-Full Analysis
-Third Eye (Lv. 43)
-Healing Wave (Lv. 63)
-Certain Escape (Lv. 72)
-Relaxing Wave(Lv. 77)

S. Link:
-Treasure Radar (Rank 3)
-Enemy Radar (Rank 6)
-Weakness Scan (Rank 10)

Bike:
-All-out Attack Level 1 (Rank 1): Increase stages incrementally increase all-out attack damage.
-All-out Attack Level 2 Rank 2)
-All-out Attack Level 3 (Rank 3)
-All-out Attack Level 4 (Rank 4)
-All-out Attack Level 5 (Rank 5)

Naoto:

Persona:

-Sukuna-Hikona: Resists light and darkness.
-Yamato-Takeru: Nulls light and darkness and resist fire.
-Yamato Sumera Mikoto: Repel light and darkness and nulls fire.

Skills:

-Tempest Slash
-Agidyne
-Garudyne
-Mudoon
-Hamaon
-Deathbound
-Tetrakarn (Lv. 56)
-Mudo Boost (Lv. 60)
-Hama Boost (Lv. 62)
-Makarakarn (Lv. 64)
-Mamudoon (Lv. 68)
-Mahamaon (Lv. 70)
-Vorpal Blade (Lv. 73)
-Megidolaon (Lv. 75)

S.Link:

-Invigorate 1 (Rank 2)
-Mind Charge (Rank 4)
-Invigorate 2 (Rank 6)
-Heat Riser (Rank 8)
-Invigorate 3 (Rank 10)

Bike:

-Bufudyne (Rank 1)
-Ziodyne (Rank 2)
-Tetraja (Rank 3)
-Myriad Arrows (Rank 4)
-Angelic Grace (Rank 5)

Exclusive:

-Shield of Justice: Invincible for 1 attack. All allies

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Reserved

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Starting to get into this now. I have finished Persona 4 before so I started on Hard. It is definitely noticeable. It seems most enemies would have perhaps 50% more HP each. I ran into the Chie battle with only half SP, and ran out of all items and SP before beating it. Gonna get a few more levels and try again. If you die you get an option to restart from the last floor, which is great. Also, the new shuffle time is excellent, brings in cool features from Persona 3's shuffle time and is a lot easier to understand.

This is game is amazing so far.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
So, uh, my immediate impression is to discourage trying Very Hard mode even if you've played before. It seems to be the same as Hard in terms of damage but it slashes experience and yen gains to under half, as well as disabling dungeon retry. I made it to the mid-boss of the first dungeon before I realized I am no longer the sucker for punishment I once was.

Aside from that starting hiccup, it's great so far. So many awesome quality of life improvements. I'm hooked all over again.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The game I almost bought a Vita for. Can't justify it though since I'm still sitting around July in the PS2 one. I had no idea they changed the voice actors for Golden though, that's kind a bummer.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Kanpachi posted:

So, uh, my immediate impression is to discourage trying Very Hard mode even if you've played before. It seems to be the same as Hard in terms of damage but it slashes experience and yen gains to under half, as well as disabling dungeon retry. I made it to the mid-boss of the first dungeon before I realized I am no longer the sucker for punishment I once was.

Aside from that starting hiccup, it's great so far. So many awesome quality of life improvements. I'm hooked all over again.

Yeah, it's a fuckin bitch. I lost to Youske's shadow once, and both attempts took all 3 medicines to scrape by. Similarly I lost once to Chie though it went a little smoother. Youske still died twice and it was by the skin of my teeth. Too late to turn back now though. :getin:

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Yep I gained a couple of levels and breezed through Chie. This game is going to be awesome, I can't wait to try out some new characters this playthrough with the rebalanced skill sets.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I'm presently surprised with the gameplay tweaks. I just got done with Shadow Chie on Normal and they were actually pretty difficult. Also I learned about an attack I'm pretty sure I never saw in the first version because I always wiped the floor with them.

EDIT: Ahahahaha Oh God the Shiroku Pub :allears:

The GIG fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 21, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This was my absolute favorite game on the Playstation 2. I really want to buy a Vita just to play this remake.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It must be a lot easier to get all the Social Links since the game extends a whole two more months.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

The game I almost bought a Vita for. Can't justify it though since I'm still sitting around July in the PS2 one. I had no idea they changed the voice actors for Golden though, that's kind a bummer.

They only changed Teddie and Chie, I haven't heard them in Golden yet but it wasn't THAT bad in the fighting game.

Also since I'm sure "I want this game but I don't want a Vita" is gonna pop up in this thread a lot here are some Vita Facts:
  • You can get a Vita bundled with Assassin's creed+memory card for $200 in a lot of places now. Previously it was $250+Games+Memory card. Keep an eye on deals in your region these holidays.

• If you have Playstation Plus you get Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Wipeout and some other stuff for free. If you have PS+ on the PS3 you automatically get all this if you bought a Vita, if you don't it's $50 a year. It's $120 worth of games, it'll keep you busy for a while.

• It's better at playing PSP games than the PSP was, the screen is bigger but keeps the aspect ratio and it looks great. You can get PSP versions of Persona 1, 2, and 3 (I think it's currently only $10) on the PSN and play them on a Vita. A lot of people completely skipped the PSP and there's some good stuff that is now pretty cheap on there.

• As of the latest firmware it's great for playing PS1 games too, I bought FF9 on the PS3 and never got around to playing it so I transferred it to the Vita and beat it there.

• On top of the PSP/PS1 library it's actually seen a lot of releases this past couple of months, there's a nice library of games on there although there are a lot of ports of console games.

• NOBODY ELSE HAS PERSONA 4

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Man, Chie might have the most voiced lines in the game. It's crazy to think that she'll have a different voice.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Man, Chie might have the most voiced lines in the game. It's crazy to think that she'll have a different voice.

I liked her new voice actress just fine in the anime, but man, the director in the game really needed to rein her in a bit. She's fine when she's not yelling, but so far (3.5 hours in) the vast majority of her lines are WAY too loud.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Oh god so when I romance Chie now I won't have a 40 year old lady saying "I love you"? Are these the same VA's from Persona 4 Arena?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kuai posted:

Oh god so when I romance Chie now I won't have a 40 year old lady saying "I love you"? Are these the same VA's from Persona 4 Arena?

Yes, they are.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

This game is fantastic.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
GodDAMN, those are some major changes to Naoto's skill list. Good, because it was pretty hard to really justify the slot on the character when half of the skills just wouldn't work on bosses. That kind of thing just made me feel like I was better off bringing personas with hama/mudo skills and doing it myself and using another, better character.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The GIG posted:

I'm presently surprised with the gameplay tweaks. I just got done with Shadow Chie on Normal and they were actually pretty difficult. Also I learned about an attack I'm pretty sure I never saw in the first version because I always wiped the floor with them.

EDIT: Ahahahaha Oh God the Shiroku Pub :allears:

Yeah the game seems to be more difficult than vanilla. I actually almost died on the first boss (never even came close on any of my p4 play throughs) and the first dungeon outing and I'm only playing on normal.

[e] Also it's much harder to ambush shadows. I haven't gotten one yet after hitting shadows like 15 times.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 21, 2012

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Can't wait to get this.

Just a heads up, I posted this in the general Vita thread, but I think it's more apt here, if you ordered the P4G Solid Gold Edition from Amazon and your estimated delivery date was changed to the 19th of Dec, there's still hope! Mine is actually Shipping Soon now, which means they've charged me for it. Don't cancel those orders just yet!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Just bought the game, it is downloading now. Is there anything in particular I should no going in, if I haven't played P4 before (and only like 10 days of P3P)?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just noticed that in addition to getting -Dyne spells of every element, Naoto is the only party member with no weaknesses (Weaknesses stay when you rank up in Golden, even at the new ranks).

Looks like they really want people to try out new parties, but on the other hand Chie and Yukiko get Hama and Mudo now too.

I'm gonna do Teddie/Naoto/Kanji just because my team last time was the complete opposite.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So... is there any difficulty what-so-ever in "Easy" and "Very Easy" modes?

I'm leaning towards "Very Easy" because you can instantly retry if you die which sounds great for me because I have very limited time to play and I don't want too much of a challenge but mostly just want to enjoy the story, but I still want a balance so gaining personas, etc, still has a point to it.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Vinlaen posted:

I'm leaning towards "Very Easy" because you can instantly retry if you die which sounds great for me because I have very limited time to play and I don't want too much of a challenge but mostly just want to enjoy the story, but I still want a balance so gaining personas, etc, still has a point to it.

I don't know how the difficulty is balanced in Golden, but I found with Normal difficulty on the PS2, it was moderately difficult while learning the game, say the first half of it. After that it became comfortable and I didn't have many issues. I would say start on Easy to make sure that the challenge doesn't kill your progress, but you still have to pay attention to fusion and good skill mixes etc.

Don't worry about the ability to restart after a battle, it's overkill. Restarting from the same floor is perfectly fine.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Vinlaen posted:

I think Easy would be better since it's a good balance between relaxing and having to play smart. Though since it's Atlus there's still a chance of getting murdered not paying attention even on V.Easy.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I started on Hard and died once to the intro boss after the MC gets his persona. When I managed to actually beat him I had used all of my Medicines and a Soul Drop. "Hard" does not mess around.

Thank god for the new fast-forward feature, it took three minutes of fast forwarding (and a minute to fight the battle with the two tongue-things) just to get back to the fight.

I keep getting thrown by little changes here and there, like how you get free reign to run around town so much earlier in this game. I mean, unless I'm wrong there's nothing extra to DO there in the first couple of days, but it's a nice touch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

(Weaknesses stay when you rank up in Golden, even at the new ranks).
What? Really? Ugh, that really bothers me for some reason. Is there at least a way now to equip an item to negate a certain element like in P3?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

What? Really? Ugh, that really bothers me for some reason. Is there at least a way now to equip an item to negate a certain element like in P3?

Well now what happens is at Rank 10 instead of the new Persona having no weakness they get Evade *Weakness* skills, but I'm assuming they take up one of the now very limited skill slots.

Also Yukiko and Teddie both get the Evade skills when they never lost their weakness before so it's a bit of a buff to them.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I really want to play this game but the Vita is not affordable for me yet. I am bum out that they not releasing it on 360/ps3.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well now what happens is at Rank 10 instead of the new Persona having no weakness they get Evade *Weakness* skills, but I'm assuming they take up one of the now very limited skill slots.

Also Yukiko and Teddie both get the Evade skills when they never lost their weakness before so it's a bit of a buff to them.
Exactly, the number of skills you'd want was already pretty crowded, and they've only added more (such as Kanji getting Power Charge, gently caress yeah). So losing yet another one, when it's not even for a Null variant, seems to be a big kick in the balls. So pretty much every party-wide attack spell is going to result in an extra turn for the enemies.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus 1 hour and 20 minutes of story exposition before your first battle. But man oh man was that great exposition.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Abu Dave posted:

Jesus 1 hour and 20 minutes of story exposition before your first battle. But man oh man was that great exposition.

I've beaten this game four times on the PS2 version. I've started many more playthroughs than that. No cutscene skip feature. It is the worst thing in the world. :shepicide:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Abu Dave posted:

Wait, seriously? I'm almost done downloading the game, and there's an hour and twenty minutes before the gameplay kicks in? I'm all for a good story, but that seems a bit excessive for a portable game.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

The Fisher King posted:

Wait, seriously? I'm almost done downloading the game, and there's an hour and twenty minutes before the gameplay kicks in? I'm all for a good story, but that seems a bit excessive for a portable game.

There's a cutscene skip feature, don't worry.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Undead Unicorn posted:

There's a cutscene skip feature, don't worry.

And, if you don't want to skip them, but are sick of having to hit a button every time someone's said something in order to hear the next line, try enabling "Auto-Advance" in the options menu. Doesn't speed it up much, but makes it flow much better, at least to me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Fisher King posted:

Yes, and I haven't even opened the real game yet. It was a tutorial battle :v:. I read I have about another 1.5 hours of cutscenes before the game opens up.

That said, make sure you have atleast 2 hours set aside when you first start it.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
I got this and Playstation All-Stars yesterday, and I'm almost ashamed to say I put more time into Battle Royale. Granted, I didn't really have 2 hours in one shot to put into this game, but I can say that it looks really good. New Chie is fine too, all of you people are crazy. :colbert:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This game should arrive in the mail today. I can't wait! I've only played a month or two of P3P, but didn't like the "powerpoint" interface. I'm glad this one is bringing back the full 3d from the PS2 version. And fishing! I LOVE loving fishing in games for some reason. I love little diversions that turn addicting games into more addicting time-sinks.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are technically a few different bad endings and some are worse than others. But you'd only get the worst one if you are really stupid.

And Susano-o is weak to Electricity now? Lame.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
So far I have finished the castle, but I am loving the online features. Getting that boost of health is great, and seeing what everyone has done for the day helps someone like me who has only watched the endurance run. Game is great though and I am so glad I got a vita last month for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Goddamnit, with earbuds in, you can't clamp your thumbs down over the speakers when Chie speaks :argh:

• Locked thread