Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!
Is it possible for another user to help me figure out what my Online ID is? As in, the other person using the console typed in his information before me, but he hit the 'register later' option. But they still sent a confirmation email to him and had him type in a code.

I wanted to type in my Online ID first because I bought it, but I don't know if his took the one spot or not. I got a confirmation email but I couldn't find a place to enter my code. Did his take or not? >_<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

WaffleStomp posted:

So what's the goon consensus on the Sonic racing game? Is it worth the 40 bucks? And does it have split screen local multiplayer and stable online play?

It's pretty fun in singleplayer, at least, though Boost Challenges and apparently the WiiU-specific modes are broken right now on the WiiU version, so you might want to wait for Sega to release a patch for that. Haven't played any multiplayer yet, though.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Anyone order a Wii U post launch date from Bestbuy.com? Wondering what the wait times are.

E - Oh it doesn't even let you add it to the cart.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 21, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Apparently Nintendo only has to sell one piece of software to make money back on Wii U, so this isn't nearly a big of a loss per console as people thought. They are going to make money on this very quickly.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Went by Gamestop to pick up my preorder of the Adventure Time CE today. Got to try out the Wii U pad for a bit.

Now I had no doubt about it feeling comfortable, they've been doing a great job at ergonomic controllers for a while. Not to mention everyone said it felt good. But I was VERY impressed by just how good it felt. Was pretty nice.

I played the Rayman demo and... yeah it does look nice, like everyone said. And the game seemed ok... except I got to a Murphy section within a minute of playing 3-4 minutes later I left as I was tired of Murphy mode.

I could see it being fun with friends. Rotating the big spike maze thing for the viking girl to go through would be too hard with a friend. I would probably slam the spikes into them as hard as possible every chance I got.

With the AI though...... not so fun. Why do they just walk slowly along? Why do they look at jumps for several seconds before taking them? gently caress. They should've at least had an adjustable AI level. Pro player mode where the AI does good even if you gently caress up a little... Good mode where it is competent at least and plays fast... And babby mode, which is what it currently does. It'd be the challenge mode: can YOU babysit this lovely player?!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

greatn posted:

Apparently Nintendo only has to sell one piece of software to make money back on Wii U, so this isn't nearly a big of a loss per console as people thought. They are going to make money on this very quickly.

Saying that Nintendo sells the console at a loss is kind of misleading anyway. The pro console in Australia costs $430, which is a bit over US$440. There are definitely some territories where Nintendo is straight up profiting per unit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

cat doter posted:

Saying that Nintendo sells the console at a loss is kind of misleading anyway. The pro console in Australia costs $430, which is a bit over US$440. There are definitely some territories where Nintendo is straight up profiting per unit.

Don't most non US entities have effectively higher tax rates, import tariffs, and fees though?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

cat doter posted:

That's the cost of the Basic unit in Mexico. The Deluxe is $540. It's completely absurd.

greatn posted:

Don't most non US entities have effectively higher tax rates, import tariffs, and fees though?

An economist friend of mine broke it up for me, and even taking into account taxes and tariffs, Nintendo or its distributor is still making a cool $100, more or less, in profit per console.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They're certainly making a killing on these compared to the 3DS launch. Everyone that buys one is going to buy at least either Mario or AC3/ZombiU/whatever with it. I don't think we're going to see the drastic early price drop the 3DS got this time around.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I picked up a basic last night but I haven't opened it yet in case I get a chance at a deluxe today. If I just give up and crack this thing open am I going to regret it? I'm tired of hunting around and this is the first WiiU of any kind I've seen since I started looking.

Losing out on the reward system is irritating but I don't anticipate buying many titles through the store anyways. I'd rather buy physical media.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Gendo posted:

I picked up a basic last night but I haven't opened it yet in case I get a chance at a deluxe today. If I just give up and crack this thing open am I going to regret it? I'm tired of hunting around and this is the first WiiU of any kind I've seen since I started looking.

Losing out on the reward system is irritating but I don't anticipate buying many titles through the store anyways. I'd rather buy physical media.

If you're not chomping at the bit for Nintendoland and won't be picking up many eShop titles anyway, then yeah, the Basic is fine. If you change your mind about wanting to download stuff (because there'll be plenty of eShop exclusives eventually), you can always plug in an external hard drive and never have to worry about the 8GB space limit again.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Gendo posted:

You should consider the idea that there will likely be things on the eshop that you cannot buy in physical media. Especially if they start doing HD remakes and releasing old games and whatnot.

Also consider you would have to spend $500 in the e-shop to make up the difference if you got a premium, unless you plan on buying whatever the pack-in game is on the premium bundle separate.

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 21, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

jdfording posted:

Newegg has a kickass deal on a Seagate 1.5tb powered hard drive. Already $60 off plus with this promo code get another $20 so the total is $69.99 for 1.5tb and free 3 day shipping.

Promo Code: EMCJJHN36

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148886

Deal is only for today 11/21

As nice as that may be, I'm not downloading a single loving thing on any Nintendo console until I KNOW purchases are tied to my account, not the hardware.

If I buy a thousand Nintendo consoles, I should be able to restore purchases to all of them.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

toxicsunset posted:

Also consider you would have to spend $500 in the e-shop to make up the difference if you got a premium, unless you plan on buying whatever the pack-in game is on the premium bundle separate.
that is a very sensible way to look at it. Thank you.

I may get nintendoland eventually but I'll just trade in other poo poo I have laying around to get it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gendo posted:

Unless you download a lot of titles and never want to use an external drive there's not much difference between the Basic and Deluxe. The eShop discount for the Deluxe really isn't that great since it comes in rewards cards instead of a straight 10% off. Oh I guess if you like Nintendoland that comes packed-in but you can get it separate.

I wouldn't worry too much. 8 GB (really 5 GB after the OS) is plenty for save data and the like.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

axeil posted:

Unless you download a lot of titles and never want to use an external drive there's not much difference between the Basic and Deluxe. The eShop discount for the Deluxe really isn't that great since it comes in rewards cards instead of a straight 10% off. Oh I guess if you like Nintendoland that comes packed-in but you can get it separate.

I wouldn't worry too much. 8 GB (really 5 GB after the OS) is plenty for save data and the like.

Actually closer to 3gb after OS, not a ton when you consider so far every game(well every game I've played) has a patch on release. AC3's patch was like 100mb.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I ordered that 1.5TB external HD from NewEgg someone posted a page or two ago. Seventy bucks and I'll never have to worry about storage again now. Much better than when I had to pay a hundred bucks for just 20 GBs for my xbox

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

greatn posted:

Actually closer to 3gb after OS, not a ton when you consider so far every game(well every game I've played) has a patch on release. AC3's patch was like 100mb.

Oh. drat. Well then that might require an external drive.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

If you have people over for Thanksgiving though you'll definitely want Nintendoland so keep that in mind.

This is the drive I have and it looks like it even dropped in price like $10 since last week :argh: It's worked great so far, except like once when I left it idle at the login screen for a long time the U freaked out because it "disconnected" (probably power save mode on the drive)

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Elements-Desktop-External/dp/B002QEBMCI

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I ordered that 1.5TB external HD from NewEgg someone posted a page or two ago. Seventy bucks and I'll never have to worry about storage again now. Much better than when I had to pay a hundred bucks for just 20 GBs for my xbox

But you could have gone to Gamestop and pre-ordered a 330GB hard drive for only $79.99!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

jdfording posted:

Newegg has a kickass deal on a Seagate 1.5tb powered hard drive. Already $60 off plus with this promo code get another $20 so the total is $69.99 for 1.5tb and free 3 day shipping.

Promo Code: EMCJJHN36

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148886

Deal is only for today 11/21

That is awesome. Ordered. Even if I never use it for the WiiU my old backup drive is only 80 GB and is getting really old and worries me. Thanks for this! 1.5TB should be more than enough for both.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

axeil posted:

That is awesome. Ordered. Even if I never use it for the WiiU my old backup drive is only 80 GB and is getting really old and worries me. Thanks for this! 1.5TB should be more than enough for both.
You can only use the drive for the WiiU. Once it's formatted for it you can't plug it into a PC and have it show up without reformatting it.

Look into crashplan for your PC backup instead. :)

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I guess batteries won't be much of an issue for me then, considering I rarely play more than 5 hours at once.
That's cool.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gendo posted:

You can only use the drive for the WiiU. Once it's formatted for it you can't plug it into a PC and have it show up without reformatting it.

Aw man :smith:. Thanks for the heads-up Gendo. I'll look into crashplan. Or maybe I'll use the old backup drive for the WiiU.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gendo posted:

Has anyone tried creating a PC partition and still having the WiiU partition working?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
moving to SA mart.

Shadowgate fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 21, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

axeil posted:

Aw man :smith:. Thanks for the heads-up Gendo. I'll look into crashplan. Or maybe I'll use the old backup drive for the WiiU.
Yeah, unless you plan on really taking advantage of full retail downloads, an 80GB drive should be plenty for eShop and Virtual Console games. Even upscaled Gamecube games, should Nintendo go there, will be on the order of 3GB or less, considering the tiny GC disc capacity.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Shadowgate posted:

I ended up with 2 Premium consoles and in the spirit of the holidays, I would like to offer the extra one to goons for the price I paid ($349.99 + $33.25 tax) + shipping to your destination. The only catch is I won't be able to ship it out until Monday, but the first person to PM me gets dibs on it.

You should really edit this post out and put it in SA Mart, I believe its probatable to solicit things outside there.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Policenaut posted:

You should really edit this post out and put it in SA Mart, I believe its probatable to solicit things outside there.

Oops ok. I was just trying to offer it to people in this thread, but I'll move it.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Do we know if the Wii U will be included in this Thursday's Nintendo eShop update?

Or I guess if there will be anything here at all in the states at least.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe, but I'd doubt it. What would they put on it that isn't there already?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I seem to recall a "Coming Soon to eShop" section on the shop which included some retail games that aren't downloadable yet. I can't check from work, though.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

greatn posted:

Maybe, but I'd doubt it. What would they put on it that isn't there already?

Eh, I dunno. Maybe there is some eShop game that's been mentioned as coming soon.

But you're probably right, it'll just be 3DS and MAYBE the Wii.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I seem to recall a "Coming Soon to eShop" section on the shop which included some retail games that aren't downloadable yet. I can't check from work, though.

Ah yeah, forgot about more full retail games. There definitely could be that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It would probably be a small update, but an eShop update this soon might be a nice little sign that things aren't going to slow down just because the launch happened.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've decided to keep the Wii U that I was debating to return when it arrives to me. Yeah, I might not get another game for it for six months, but when that time does come around, I am hopefully moving out on my own, and then I won't be able to afford it. I can afford it right now, so... yeah. Wii U, here I come. :toot: (But from here on out, I need to be serious about saving up. I need to drastically cut back on the comics I buy every week (spent over $25 today) along with my video games.)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Revol posted:

I've decided to keep the Wii U that I was debating to return when it arrives to me. Yeah, I might not get another game for it for six months, but when that time does come around, I am hopefully moving out on my own, and then I won't be able to afford it. I can afford it right now, so... yeah. Wii U, here I come. :toot: (But from here on out, I need to be serious about saving up. I need to drastically cut back on the comics I buy every week (spent over $25 today) along with my video games.)

I pre-paid for my Wii-U only to find out the weekend before I got it that my dad lost his job and Christmas might get tight :smith:

I'm just waiting for school to end so I can find a seasonal job to make it not so hard on everyone. If I had purchased a Deluxe I'd probably be selling it right now, but the Basic's can still be found everywhere so there's no point.

Might have to sell the 3DS because I barely use it and Christmas money is important.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
My god, you guys, my bathroom is less than 8 meters from my TV, and only through 1 wall... Do you know what this means? Never again will I have to wait for a break in the action to take a poo poo! Truly this is the future.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Walmart's availability checker is hosed up. In spite of it saying that it hasn't updated since the 18th, I've watched a store near me go from saying it was out of stock, to limited stock, to in stock. I don't want to be that guy that calls the stores daily, either. I really wanted the 32gb model, but I'm really considering just getting the basic.

You guys make it sound so fun :smith:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

liquidypoo posted:

Walmart's availability checker is hosed up. In spite of it saying that it hasn't updated since the 18th, I've watched a store near me go from saying it was out of stock, to limited stock, to in stock. I don't want to be that guy that calls the stores daily, either. I really wanted the 32gb model, but I'm really considering just getting the basic.

You guys make it sound so fun :smith:

If you dont care about downloading games from the eShop the basic is fine. Otherwise, its a good idea to hold out for a deluxe.

...and it is fun :) you'll get one soon.

If there is an fye near you I know they're taking 50$ for them to hold a system for you when it comes in. They refund your bux if you find it elsewhere, otherwise it just goes towards the purchase of the system.

Also keep an eye open for WiiUs on :siren:CYBER MONDAY:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Am I the only one that is holding out for a deluxe because it's black?

• Locked thread