Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Photography is more than just commissioned portraits, though. Nothing stopping you going out and taking images of people "as they really are", but I don't think it's that surprising that people mainly prefer flattering images of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I put up an OkCupid profile because I'm a sad lonely fat bastard for laughs and swapped between a nice black and white self-portrait lit with my studio lights but I look sort of tired and my hair is messy, a clean-cut in a suit with a point and shoot. I always got more messages when the messy picture was up.

Now I've just got a shot of me wearing a Russian army officer's hat against a hammer and sickle flag. I don't get nearly as many messages.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

There was also a study that showed pets get adopted 2-3x faster if they have 'pro' photos done.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

f/8 and don't get a date
f/8 and be there alone

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

that's basically where photography is heading as a medium. People don't want images of themselves, they want images of who they want other people to think they are.
See: every commissioned portrait (except Newman's photo of Krupp) since there's been commissioned portraits.

squidflakes posted:

a clean-cut in a suit with a point and shoot.
OKCupid's not a job site so heh.

BobTheCow posted:

f/8 and be there alone
:golfclap:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 20, 2012

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

I've been browsing ebay for old watches and I was pretty blown away by the photography in this listing. I mean, it's pretty standard product photography, but compared to the poo poo direct flash point and shoot photos and stock images that comprise 99% of the listings on ebay, I'm pretty impressed and I wonder how much impact the photos make on the final sale price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160923844857?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Does anyone know if anyone has ever done a study where they list identical items with one having poo poo photos and one having professional photos and then compare? I think that would be a fun experiment to do if I had any idea how to do product photography at all. I mean just looking at that watch, I know I would hate in person (gold, ew), but it looks gorgeous in those photos and I'd almost consider bidding if it wasn't already well past my price range.

You're right about how crappy most of the photography is. I'm also in the hunt for a specific vintage fixer-upper watch right now, and my leading candidate isn't getting any bids at all (on an otherwise desirable piece) because the photos are so poor. So I'm torn on whether or not to go with my gut instinct based on what I can see, or be suspicious if he's trying to hide something with the atrocious photography.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Is anyone looking to make a 4x5 camera? As in 4 ft by 5 ft? I stopped by my local artsy recycle center today (Scrap in SF) and there was a massive bellow hiding in back. I kind of want it but I'm not even sure what I'd do with it or where I'd store it.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

TheLastManStanding posted:

Is anyone looking to make a 4x5 camera? As in 4 ft by 5 ft? I stopped by my local artsy recycle center today (Scrap in SF) and there was a massive bellow hiding in back. I kind of want it but I'm not even sure what I'd do with it or where I'd store it.

you could put one in the back of a panel van like this dude

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

whereismyshoe posted:

you could put one in the back of a panel van like this dude

Interesting video, I hadn't see this one before. Pretty beautiful results, though not particularly eco-friendly.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
I'm wondering what kind of lens he uses. Custom? Hugeass vintage aviation lens?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TheLastManStanding posted:

I was on the lookout for a 20x24 bellows from an old process camera back when I was in the US, but never found one (closest I got was a guy on Craigslist in Inland Empire who was willing to take it apart and ship, but he flaked). I'm in Japan now so I think shipping would be impractical, to say the least. Does kinda suck because I've now got access to a full machine shop and a bunch of knowledgeable dudes, since I'm teaching at a technical school.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Came across this earlier, so for those who may need some hosting or something 500px is having a black friday sale on their "awesome" level account. It's $24.95 today instead of the normal $49.95.

http://500px.com/upgrade lists what you get for your cash.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Thanks, I really dig 500px. I scooped it up at $25.

How do we all follow each other on there, is there an easy way to do that?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

People may as well just commission people to do paintings of them looking swole as gently caress and killing a dragon because that's basically where photography is heading as a medium. People don't want images of themselves, they want images of who they want other people to think they are.

my okc photo

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

So basically people want mates who have as few of the gross human things that we all have visible as possible.

People may as well just commission people to do paintings of them looking swole as gently caress and killing a dragon because that's basically where photography is heading as a medium. People don't want images of themselves, they want images of who they want other people to think they are.

You realize this is basically how art has been done for most of the time it's existed? People usually wanted some kind of stylized version of themselves slaying a dragon for a portrait, not just sitting there looking dumpy. Even early photographs were shot in a pictoralist style because that's what people wanted. Realism is a comparatively contemporary thing and as the tools have gotten to the point where they start capturing blemishes in excruciating detail it's not really surprising that people want those touched back out.

:qq: But the decline of photography :qq:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

You realize this is basically how art has been done for most of the time it's existed? People usually wanted some kind of stylized version of themselves slaying a dragon for a portrait, not just sitting there looking dumpy. Even early photographs were shot in a pictoralist style because that's what people wanted. Realism is a comparatively contemporary thing and as the tools have gotten to the point where they start capturing blemishes in excruciating detail it's not really surprising that people want those touched back out.

:qq: But the decline of photography :qq:

It goes beyond just correcting skin blemishes and other minor imperfections though. There's a difference between a flattering photo and an unrealistic photo. There is a difference between using posing and lighting to obscure perceived imperfections and using photo editing programs to change the shapes of peoples' bodies and facial features. But yes I was bemoaning people not wanting photos of them just sitting there looking dumpy. It's totally impossible to take a dynamic and flattering photo without making someone's skin have no texture.

We all find those child beauty pageant photos with the creepy doll eyes and the plastic skin terrifying. I just find a lot of competent editing to be similarly unsettling. I know this really amazing fashion photographer who is also an incredible digital artist and I remember the first time I watched one of her retouching videos. She had this incredibly gorgeous model, perfect and carefully considered lighting and posing, great professional make-up and hair, and still ended up using the liquify tool to make the models nose straighter and thinner and jaw line curvier, among other things. It just makes me sad that the modern measure of a good photo tends to be how attractive the person looks and not how 'truly' it captures them, if that makes sense.

I think modern day headshot photography is probably the closest to what I personally like. It's more about capturing the personality and unique beauty of each individual person rather than trying to make everybody look like a model with perfect skin and bone structure and trying to hide their size and shape.

To each their own, I guess.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Modelling agencies want portfolio photos that show the model as they are, not all photoshopped to hell and back. So there will always be a market for people who take normal photos.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I don't correct jaw shape or anything like that. Just skin really and and push in muffin tops

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
The decline of photography was the rich rear end in a top hat dad with the 5d3 and the 580ex I had to tell off in the row in front of me last night because every time he didn't want to use his flash he'd point it loving backwards. Photography so bad it hurts people.

red19fire posted:

There was also a study that showed pets get adopted 2-3x faster if they have 'pro' photos done.

Is there much more to this beyond a nifty fifty and a bit of post work? Our local no kill shelter has just some regular shots and it'd be nice to help out.

ahmeni fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 25, 2012

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

ahmeni posted:

The decline of photography was the rich rear end in a top hat dad with the 5d3 and the 580ex I had to tell off in the row in front of me last night because every time he didn't want to use his flash he'd point it loving backwards. Photography so bad it hurts people.
Hahaha absolutely glorious.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

ahmeni posted:

Is there much more to this beyond a nifty fifty and a bit of post work? Our local no kill shelter has just some regular shots and it'd be nice to help out.

I do this in my town. I run a one light studio setup with an Einstein and have to follow certain rules based on "editorial" preferences at the shelter, but started with not much more than you are talking about. It's a big shelter, though, so workflow and throughput is a big concern - I sacrifice a bit of artistry to produce product-photo catalogue style pictures.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
That's a drat cool thing that you do.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I would love to do photo work for the local shelter but I fear I'd be one of those crazy cat people with a thousand cats if I did. Kudos to SKULE123 for doing it.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
It really improved my photography a lot - have been doing it for ~2 years, so it's 2 hours to shoot and an hour of post and metadata afterwards per shoot. They have another volunteer who is a retired fine art photographer so I was able to assist him a few times and learn a lot, and it is a way to get used to the responsibilities and schedule behind a regular photo job.

I'd tell anyone with the gear and capacity to give it a shot, or to see what causes are close to them that they can help with their photography. You'd be surprised!

^^ Funnily enough, our local Humane Society doesn't let you adopt as a volunteer (perhaps to prevent that kind of cat-lady situation).

(And thanks to torgeaux for cutting me a sweet deal on a 100mm macro when I was getting started! :))

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I've helped out at a shelter when they had an adopt-a-thon and wanted something set up so people could get photos of them and their new pets. It was interesting, and it got me a few contacts who called me later on to do family/event photography. If you live near a shelter and want something steady to work on purely out of volunteerism, it's definitely a great opportunity.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

InternetJunky posted:

I would love to do photo work for the local shelter but I fear I'd be one of those crazy cat people with a thousand cats if I did. Kudos to SKULE123 for doing it.

This is the hard part for me, because my gut instinct is GIVE ME ALL OF THE DOGGES. I'm always minutes away from adopting every dog I shoot.

Good shelter portraits are fairly easy. Most of the animals' current photos are taken upon intake, when they're locked in a cage, covered in their own excrement and terrified, so they look awful. So a day or so after intake, I grab the Nifty Fifty, let them run around a bit outside and warm up to me, then take a headshot in the shade from 2 feet away and about 2-3 inches above eye level. It's the same concept as the '15 inch gaze' in portraits, you want to mimic the look that the adopter is going to get snuggled up on the couch with their pet. It's Easy Mode for pet portraits.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Decisions decisions, do I buy a new yacht or secondhand Leica?
http://www.bjp-online.com/british-j...%20at%20auction

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I don't know how often they have this sale, but Lulu.com is giving 50% off calendar orders with code DELIRITAS until the end of the day today. These print off pretty slick and make a great holiday gift if you're like me and don't have a clue what to get people. They can link into personal sites like smugmug so it took me all of 15 minutes to design my own calendar.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

The rebroadcast of A Shoot with Sue (Bryce) is on right now if anyone's interested

http://www.creativelive.com/live

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I posted in the LAN thread but I wanted to get a Dorkroomer perspective on this.

I'm going to be in New York City starting December 6th and staying the weekend for a work project. I'm going to have a pretty fair amount of free time and they've put me up in a hotel on/near Times Square. I've been in that area before and holy poo poo, that is like my own personal hell.

Where can I go to find food that's good, non-touristy chain bullshit places, and maybe some awesome camera/photography stores.

Though, now that I think about it, isn't B&H in Times Square somewhere?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Don't forget to check out Guy's American Kitchen and Bar while you're there!

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

FISHMANPET posted:

Don't forget to check out Guy's American Kitchen and Bar while you're there!

Cool, their menu is like Chilis except everything is brined.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

squidflakes posted:

Where can I go to find food that's good, non-touristy chain bullshit places, and maybe some awesome camera/photography stores.

BH Photo Video is the place to see for sure, and a good place to pick up any random chemicals they won't ship if you need to. Adorama also has a store there, but it's a lot smaller. When I was there two years ago they did have a Pentax 6x7 600mm lens, that was kinda cool to see (it's about the same size as a small telescope). If you're into film stuff, check out Lens and Repro. They're definitely a hole-in-the-wall place, upstairs in a nondescript building. Walk in and it's just shelves and shelves of cameras, like my house will be when I die.

If you like pizza, Lombardi's is the place to go. When I was there I met up with a goon friend of mine.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Paul MaudDib posted:

Walk in and it's just shelves and shelves of cameras, like my house will be when I die.

That's definitely something I'd like to see. I'm hoping to find some Crown Graphic parts, but I know how that stuff goes.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

squidflakes posted:

Cool, their menu is like Chilis except everything is brined.

If you do this I'm not sure you deserve that avatar.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

My TeleVue 5x image amplifier came in the mail today. I'm going to use it to image the moon and planets, but since the cloud cover is 100% for the next few days I turned my telephoto lens on my neighbor instead.

600mm

With 5x amplifier

It was shot through my back door glass with low light and stuff in the way so don't judge it by picture quality (the amplifier is advertised as not affecting the quality in any way, still not sure how that's possible), but it's surprising how clear the image was given that this is supposed to shoot celestial objects millions of miles away.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

SoundMonkey posted:

If you do this I'm not sure you deserve that avatar.

Wait, I should have added :rolleyes:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

InternetJunky posted:

My TeleVue 5x image amplifier came in the mail today. I'm going to use it to image the moon and planets, but since the cloud cover is 100% for the next few days I turned my telephoto lens on my neighbor instead.

600mm

With 5x amplifier

It was shot through my back door glass with low light and stuff in the way so don't judge it by picture quality (the amplifier is advertised as not affecting the quality in any way, still not sure how that's possible), but it's surprising how clear the image was given that this is supposed to shoot celestial objects millions of miles away.

That's basically a 5x TC made by a no-name company. Considering you can see differences in image quality even when using a 1.4x TC made by a good company, that thing is going to be hilariously terrible. Please tell me you didn't pay full price for that.

I'm pretty sure the horrible blurriness in the second image isn't from the glass door.

EDIT: Oh, it appears to be an astronomy thing? Post some test pics some time, this may not be its intended use :v:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
A good deal of astrophotography is usually post work to deal with camera and physics limitations. I wouldn't be surprised if someone has put together something to handle TC shittiness. Likely it was written in VB and costs $400 and requires a bizarre amount of specific knowledge to use, if current Astro software is any benchmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

SoundMonkey posted:

EDIT: Oh, it appears to be an astronomy thing? Post some test pics some time, this may not be its intended use :v:
As I said, don't judge it from those pictures. I've seen shots of Jupiter and its moons from the same setup I have. At the focal length I took that picture (4800mm I think it works out to) even the vibrations from the shutter were severe.

Tomorrow I'll try some more tests when I have some better lighting and I have the lens mounted on my astronomy tripod to eliminate vibrations.