Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Much as I enjoy this game I admit I'm kinda holding down the "Skip" button to get to the good stuff, because it is one long-rear end intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And, if you don't want to skip them, but are sick of having to hit a button every time someone's said something in order to hear the next line, try enabling "Auto-Advance" in the options menu. Doesn't speed it up much, but makes it flow much better, at least to me.

I don't know if I'm willing to say this is the best thing, but damned if it isn't pretty close. I was sold from the beginning on a HD Persona 4 but Atlus really knocked it out of the park.

I don't get the hate for Chie's voice. Maybe it's because I didn't play the original game with English voices. They all sound a little awkward to me and Chie doesn't sound any better/worse than the rest of the cast so far. I'll probably hate not hearing "Kuma!" constantly in Teddie's squeaky voice, though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You will experience the joy of infinite bear puns, instead.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I noticed when I was skimming through the Persona Compendium in the Velvet Room earlier that all the blank spaces for entries you don't have yet also indicate the base level for those entries. So that's nice.

Looks like I gotta be at least level 18 before I can fuse my first Aeon Persona, so I guess I should hold off on Marie's link for awhile. And Jester apparently shows up around level 20, so that's good to know.

Also, I like how Igor now just lets you see what Personas you can fuse with what you currently have equipped. Really digging all the changes to the Velvet Room here. :dance:

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!
Bought this yesterday, it will be my first Persona game. Technically second, but I only played the third one for about an hour. Started it and it's amazing :o The Atlus art style is my favorite, which I realized when I was playing Catherine.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, I like how Igor now just lets you see what Personas you can fuse with what you currently have equipped. Really digging all the changes to the Velvet Room here. :dance:

This, and the ability to control what skills get inherited, were both first in Devil Survivor. So I guess Atlus just realized that those were two really cool things about Devil Survivor, that it left less to chance about what you got out of fusion, and added it into Persona 4 Golden.

So I just spent the first open day going through the first real dungeon. Between the new music, the new voice dialogue (there's more than just one "Get ready for an all-out attack!" quote per person now!) and everything else, this may be the peppiest RPG I have ever played. I didn't think it was possible to be peppier than it already was, but it is.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Speedball posted:

This, and the ability to control what skills get inherited, were both first in Devil Survivor. So I guess Atlus just realized that those were two really cool things about Devil Survivor, that it left less to chance about what you got out of fusion, and added it into Persona 4 Golden.
I'm gonna miss spending an hour just going in and out of the fusion screen, trying to get just the right skills for a hexagon fusion persona. :unsmigghh:

Wait, no, I'm not. That was bullshit, especially when Igor randomly decided to gently caress up the fusion.

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.
For someone whose never played this... which slink is considered the most "worth it" to level up, aside from the fox?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

KongMu posted:

For someone whose never played this... which slink is considered the most "worth it" to level up, aside from the fox?
All the party members, or at least those you're using the most. The skills they learn are definitely worth it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KongMu posted:

Focus on your party members, including Rise. They get combat abilities from it, and all of them have good Personas too. Justice (Nanako) is the source of most of the best late-game Personas, and she's pretty easy to level up, so grab her too. Besides that, and Fox, just do whichever you like the characters for more.

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.
Thanks guys.. from someone that played the original p3 on ps2 i remember it being really useful to max out the magician and the chariot (the athletic dude) first because it allowed you to fuse some really neat personas. I guess ill be focusing on maxing out kanji and yukiko asap then.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The single most broken persona in the game is of the Tower arcana, so level up that link if you want to try out something completely overpowered.

At least in vanilla P4 he basically broke the whole game in half once you got him, they might have toned him down in this one though.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

KongMu posted:

Even without a guide, you should be able to max almost all your social links in your first playthrough, especially considering Golden is even longer than the original. Without using a guide on my first playthrough of P4, I only missed out maxxing 2 social links, and I had no idea what I was doing the first month. Here's some tips to help max out social links in general:

- If someone talks to you at lunch, you get bonus points to your relationship if you go out with them that day. I'm pretty sure it's this way in Golden, I doubt they'd change it.

- A couple S. Links rely on having high learning/courage/etc. Make sure you're levelling these attributes up.

- The game tells you if you're gonna be able to level up on an outing. If it says you won't, consider waiting a bit for extraneous events to give a boost to your relationship (mid-term results, random increases from storylines, eating lunch with said people, etc.)

- The most efficient way to level up stats is probably still eating the Beef Bowl at the Chinese restaurant on a rainy day, it gives you bonuses to 3 stats, where most activities only give you 1-2.

- Make sure you read the books from the book store. The study book, for example, allows you to gain an extra knowledge point every time you study. Although it takes three days to read the book, and gives you nothing during those three days, it more than pays off down the road. There's other books that do similar things, as well.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

KongMu posted:

Thanks guys.. from someone that played the original p3 on ps2 i remember it being really useful to max out the magician and the chariot (the athletic dude) first because it allowed you to fuse some really neat personas. I guess ill be focusing on maxing out kanji and yukiko asap then.

Don't neglect Rise. Her skills come in super handy.

In P4, I usually beelined for maxing Brosuke first, not just for the fusion bonus (which gets loving sick nasty at upper levels), but for the combat skills, too. Seemed like his link was the quickest to level up.*

Do your best to make sure your party members' links are (for the most part) keeping up with each other, and, as far as all the other links go, get levels when you can, keeping in mind the sacrifices you'll have to make to get some of them (gently caress YOU AI EBIHARA, I AIN'T WASTIN' A WHOLE DAY ON YOUR SKANK rear end).

edit: * probably because I was focusing on it :v:

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 22, 2012

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Don't neglect Rise. Her skills come in super handy.

In P4, I usually beelined for maxing Brosuke first, not just for the fusion bonus (which gets loving sick nasty at upper levels), but for the combat skills, too. Seemed like his link was the quickest to level up.*

Do your best to make sure your party members' links are (for the most part) keeping up with each other, and, as far as all the other links go, get levels when you can, keeping in mind the sacrifices you'll have to make to get some of them (gently caress YOU AI EBIHARA, I AIN'T WASTIN' A WHOLE DAY ON YOUR SKANK rear end).

edit: * probably because I was focusing on it :v:

Aw, but I liked the spoilered person's S-link. :(

KongMu
May 8, 2005

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.
If you have a girlfriend in P4 and then try ti SLINK another girl does it piss them off like it did in P3? Or did they get rid of this.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

KongMu posted:

If you have a girlfriend in P4 and then try ti SLINK another girl does it piss them off like it did in P3? Or did they get rid of this.

They got rid of that. P4 Protagonist has way more swag than that loser in P3.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Nohman posted:

They got rid of that. P4 Protagonist has way more swag than that loser in P3.

I can't stop laughing at this picture. It's just so...it's just...so...perfect.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

KongMu posted:

They might get a bit prissy if you go out with someone else on a Sunday. :v: It can end up wasting your chance in getting a few more points toward a link, though it doesn't interrupt an actual S Link event.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

Focus on your party members, including Rise. They get combat abilities from it, and all of them have good Personas too. Justice (Nanako) is the source of most of the best late-game Personas, and she's pretty easy to level up, so grab her too. Besides that, and Fox, just do whichever you like the characters for more.

If you're doing Justice it's also a nice idea to do Hierophant (Dojima) since they sort of go together in terms of character development. You need to raise your expression to get past rank 1, tho, and keep in mind that you get limited opportunities to talk to Dojima in the evening.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RentCavalier posted:

Best part was him constantly ordering Kanji to refill his glass.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^^: Fill 'er up. Straight!

RentCavalier posted:

That entire episode was basically "PerSWAGna: The Animation"

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, it's like they took all the improvements in the devil survivor series and added it to this. Now they only need to take the ability to do it anywhere from strange journey and it'll be perfect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KongMu posted:

You can do it without pissing anyone off in 3, you just have to keep a mental spreadsheet of who you've seen and when.

I replayed 3 earlier this year and it was bizarrely much easier than I remember. And 3 wasn't my first SMT game at all or anything. I can't imagine how easy 4 will be when(IF) my Vita bundle ever gets here. Holiday shipping disasters. :argh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God dammit, Shadow Yukiko (I have to spoiler this in this thread, right?) will never not be a kick in the balls on new playthroughs. Oh well, it took me a few tries to beat her and that's probably the most retries any boss battle in the game is going to make me take. Gotta say though, I love some of the new additions they've made. My best friend the skip button is cool, now Arcana chances are actually not dumb mini-games, books serve a purpose, and the Persona search function is awesome. Oh and Time to Make History is a much welcome music addition since I got sick of Reach Out to the Truth.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"This person is dizzy..."

Yo, Teddie, you forget his name?

(Does this persist throughout the rest of the game, it just saying "this person is _______" when a debuff happens?)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh my goodness, the "fsteak" thing from Hiimdaisy is now canon.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
HeeHeeHoo! Music King! is a pretty cool addition. Love just taking a break and listening to the soundtrack.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I just did my first fusion.

Got to pick exactly what abilities my Persona got.

GOTY.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Two questions: how do I hang out with my partners to level up the S-Rank on them? Chie wants my nuts or something but I can never find her except at night.

Second does the SOS feature do anything negative? I found you get a little boost in HP/SP every time you use it so I use it all the time because hey free HP/SP!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

flyboi posted:

Two questions: how do I hang out with my partners to level up the S-Rank on them? Chie wants my nuts or something but I can never find her except at night.

They need to have an "!" over their heads after school. When Chie's social Link is available she's on the roof instead of in the classroom.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a good guide for S Links yet? I don't want to miss any starts. I can handle it from there

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
My Solid Gold Premium edition showed up today but I can't play until after Christmas since... I have no Vita. :negative:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

GOTY.

I wish I could find out just how much my hour count is going down by not having to reload skills anymore.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
Selfish Basalts in Kanji's dungeon resist all out attacks, but not regular attacks :psyduck:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

GOTY.

It's not GOTY unless they made Naoto viable.

Did...did they?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a JAP voice option? What is with people wearing glasses? My only exposure to this series is the ps3 fighting game and there was a glasses dlc for some reason.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fauxtool posted:

Is there a JAP voice option? What is with people wearing glasses? My only exposure to this series is the ps3 fighting game and there was a glasses dlc for some reason.

No to dual audio.

The glasses allow regular people to see through the magic harmful fog that fills the TV world.

They're made by a talking bear in a tracksuit.

Persona 4 is a weird game.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im honestly surprised there is no dual audio. Atlus did the localization for p4 arena too and it was dual audio. That game also had a huge amount of VA in the single player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Atlus games tend not to be dual audio. It was probably Arc System Works that made PFA have it.

• Locked thread