Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bedlam posted:

Do we know if the map editor can make co-op maps?

No, just competitive.

It really seems like the single-player is the draw here. I'll probably play the co-op a little bit but I doubt it or the competitive multiplayer will keep my attention for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cardboard Box posted:

No, just competitive.

It really seems like the single-player is the draw here. I'll probably play the co-op a little bit but I doubt it or the competitive multiplayer will keep my attention for long.

I wouldnt mind playing some coop with goons and mastering them until we conquer the hardest difficulty.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So what kind of skills improve as you level up, specifically?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Speedball posted:

The speed and force by which you punch a shark...

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Speedball posted:

From what I've seen, it's a lot of abilities, like being able to throw knives. There's also probably some passive skills that allow you to sprint for longer or whatever as well.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Bedlam posted:

Do we know if the map editor can make co-op maps?
Even if we can't by default, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to edit maps, I made tools to unpack maps into editable files for Far Cry 2. Not to mention you can edit the editor setting files to add things.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's amazing how little attention this game is getting despite looking like GOTY material at this point.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Here's a recording of a Gamespot stream where they play an hour and a half of the game. No story spoilers included, they mostly wander around the game world and answer questions. For people curious about the progression system, they go over a fair bit of that.

Their impressions are overall very positive.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm guessing there won't be any chance of this getting a discount during the Steam sale? I can find it cheaper at other places but I have to download it off Steam.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Since it's not even out for 8-12 more days (varies depending on where you are), I'm 99% positive it won't.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pwnstar posted:

I'm guessing there won't be any chance of this getting a discount during the Steam sale? I can find it cheaper at other places but I have to download it off Steam.

Probably not, no. It may go on sale during the Winter Sale, though--but probably for 20 or 30% off, tops.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Xoidanor posted:

It's amazing how little attention this game is getting despite looking like GOTY material at this point.

Same release period as CoD Blops2 and Halo 4, though I do agree, it does look like it should be a bigger deal.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, it looks like its only crime will be being released in the same season as a load of other high-profile games, but now that I've had a chance to look at it it looks like it'll be really great.

Wonder if it's too late to add to my Christmas list...

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I for one played a ton of Farcry 2 matches. Must have played at least... 6 or 7 before I put that crap away forever.

Edit. Does anyone know what will control the quality of custom maps? I don't know how many giant dick stadiums made of sheet metal I can handle.

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 22, 2012

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Greenmangaming.com are doing their seemingly eternal 20% off digital downloads sale, which includes Far Cry 3. I think with the discount it's about £26 - they've always been reliable for me in the past. The coupon code is usually on the front page of their site.

Edit: Just checked the site and there is now a code for 30% off on the Far Cry 3 page on GMG, brings it down to about £24.80. Now I'm annoyed I only got 20%.

Disorientated fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 22, 2012

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Disorientated posted:

Greenmangaming.com are doing their seemingly eternal 20% off digital downloads sale, which includes Far Cry 3. I think with the discount it's about £26 - they've always been reliable for me in the past. The coupon code is usually on the front page of their site.

Far Cry 3 doesn't seem to be on their US site at all.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Speedball posted:

Yeah, it looks like its only crime will be being released in the same season as a load of other high-profile games, but now that I've had a chance to look at it it looks like it'll be really great.
The fact that - in the US at least - it's not coming out until the first week of December and long after Black Friday even though it's already apparently at the stage where they can send out review copies gives off the impression that Ubisoft didn't expect the game to turn out as well as it did.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Far Cry 3 doesn't seem to be on their US site at all.

Yeah, sadly, GMG has said that they don't have a deal with Ubi to provide AC3/FC3 to NA customers at this time.

On the other hand, the non-NA versions they're selling don't activate on Steam, so maybe it's a bit of a wash.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Edit. Does anyone know what will control the quality of custom maps? I don't know how many giant dick stadiums made of sheet metal I can handle.
Ubi are supposedly going to take more of an interest in the user-created maps for FC3 than they did for 2; they've said that ones they think are particularly good will become part of the 'official' rotation.

The problem FC2 had was that map ranking A: was determined entirely by players (so there was vote-whoring for maps that catered for very specific playerbases even if they were poo poo by any rational standard, like the godawful barren canyon map designed entirely for headshot sniping that was insanely popular for a while), and B: made vote-whoring easy by letting people vote for a map as many times as they liked.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 22, 2012

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

Here's a recording of a Gamespot stream where they play an hour and a half of the game. No story spoilers included, they mostly wander around the game world and answer questions. For people curious about the progression system, they go over a fair bit of that.

Their impressions are overall very positive.

Holy poo poo this is FPS Assassin's Creed.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I'm kind of sad to see the FC2 immersive hud go, but on the other hand there's fast travel now, thank God.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Bilal posted:

I'm kind of sad to see the FC2 immersive hud go, but on the other hand there's fast travel now, thank God.
Far Cry 2 had fast travel, but you had to go to the bus stations for that. The Far Cry 3 replacement is indeed much better though.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Does it auto paint targets when you aim at them through a scope? It looks like it does, I don't like that but it's not that big a deal.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

gibbed posted:

Far Cry 2 had fast travel, but you had to go to the bus stations for that. The Far Cry 3 replacement is indeed much better though.

Public transport wasn't Africa's strongest point in that game, there were way too few bus stations.

Also what is the replacement in this game? Teleportation ala Elderscroll?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

im a girl btw posted:

Does it auto paint targets when you aim at them through a scope? It looks like it does, I don't like that but it's not that big a deal.

Yeah, I don't care for that either. I'm starting to hope for an "I am not a 10 year old playing this on an XBox" mode.

e: Although this feature might itself be a concession for game pad players, sort of like Z-targeting in Zelda 64 (god I'm old and out of date on video games).

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 22, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

im a girl btw posted:

I thought the guy in one of the videos said he was marking the targets, which I took to mean he was pressing something to mark the targets, and not that they were automatically marked.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
So it sounds like the map editor will have a "Single Player Sandbox mode" that lets you spawn vehicles/wildlife/AI in your maps to play around with. This is awesome since it's the exact feature I wished was in the FC2 editor. Thanks for reading my mind Ubisoft!

http://far-cry.ubi.com/fc-portal/en-us/community/detail_news.aspx?c%3Dtcm%3A19-74054%26ct%3Dtcm%3A6-231-32

XenoCrab fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 22, 2012

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

XenoCrab posted:

So it sounds like the map editor will have a "Single Player Sandbox mode" that lets you spawn vehicles/wildlife/AI in your maps to play around with. This is awesome since it's the exact feature I wished was in the FC2 editor. Thanks for reading my mind Ubisoft!

http://far-cry.ubi.com/fc-portal/en-us/community/detail_news.aspx?c%3Dtcm%3A19-74054%26ct%3Dtcm%3A6-231-32

Well that's pretty damned cool! I'm assuming the SP sandbox is still limited to 512x512 meters though. Even then, still pretty cool!

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought the guy in one of the videos said he was marking the targets, which I took to mean he was pressing something to mark the targets, and not that they were automatically marked.

I hope that's right. I know you have to manually do it with the binoculars but on the gamespot video it looked like it did it automatically. I could have missed something though, I was playing xcom at the same time.

The guy on the gamespot video also guessed the playable area could be the same size as Just Cause 2... That can't be right, maybe it feels the same size because you don't have jets and a grappling hook. But if it is :aaa:

Quad bikes look like a lot of fun.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

XenoCrab posted:

The FAQ makes it sound like they included an 'invisible wall' feature (Q9), which will be a relief if you like creating maps that aren't surrounded by massive vertical cliffs. Making sure you've blocked every possible point from which a smart-arse player can climb onto a crate or a fence or a barrel or a truck and jump over the intended boundary of the map could take almost as long as building the map in the first place.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

im a girl btw posted:

The guy on the gamespot video also guessed the playable area could be the same size as Just Cause 2... That can't be right, maybe it feels the same size because you don't have jets and a grappling hook. But if it is :aaa:

Quad bikes look like a lot of fun.

He said "I don't think it's quite as big as Skyrim, Just Cause 2 might be a better comparison" so I think he was just not remembering how big Just Cause 2 was.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, now I need to play Farcry 2 again.

Gibbed, do you have your awesome modding efforts saved anywhere? The old thread has gone to the archives it seems.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

He said "I don't think it's quite as big as Skyrim, Just Cause 2 might be a better comparison" so I think he was just not remembering how big Just Cause 2 was.

Ah I didn't catch that part. He also said later that there's no map editor on the console version so I think they got a bunch of stuff wrong.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Exactly how does this work in regards to the Ubisoft store and Steam? I got this free with my graphics card, and redeemed the code on the Ubisoft site. when it launches do I just get a key for Steam?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Whaaat? "I don't think it's as big as Skyrim (16 sq miles) Just Cause 2 might be a better comparison (400 sq miles?!)"

Yeah that is a pretty muddy statement. Earlier in the thread, the measurement of nearly 10x larger than FC2 was stated, with FC2 being estimated to be about 31 sq. miles. So maybe the Just Cause 2 thing is appropriate, and the Skyrim thing was a weird mistake.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

im a girl btw posted:

Far Cry 1 sort of did the same thing with the binoculars. I hope there's a Far Cry 1 setting because it would be good for scouting through brush.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

XenoCrab posted:

This is fantastic news and is just the infinite masturbatory sandbox that I am missing from FC2. Though in a way this sort of hits that AI might still not be available in multi (aside from the canned campaigns).

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AngryBooch posted:

Holy poo poo this is FPS Assassin's Creed.

That was my impression, too, but there are some differences that make Far Cry 3 more than just Assassin's Creed 3 On A Tropical Island.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

This is fantastic news and is just the infinite masturbatory sandbox that I am missing from FC2. Though in a way this sort of hits that AI might still not be available in multi (aside from the canned campaigns).
It's not - you can't validate a map for MP if it has AI elements or vehicles in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Do you think we'll be able to mod out the excess hud like seeing guys through walls, radar and objective stuff?

• Locked thread