Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Boy, getting an Angel Statue sure is tedious.

Do the knights that drop it glow red in the dungeon? I wasn't sure if they did, so I've just been attacking everything that I come across.

e: Whoops, looks like a Positive King summoned one.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Marie is my new favorite NPC. "He bought me meat. He is a good person." :swoon:

I really want to steal her hat, though. It's like Junpei all over again.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Schubalts posted:

Marie is my new favorite NPC. "He bought me meat. He is a good person." :swoon:

I really want to steal her hat, though. It's like Junpei all over again.

So what's the deal with Marie anyway? Is she a new party member or just a new S-Link? I was unclear on how much they were integrating her.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Captain Oblivious posted:

So what's the deal with Marie anyway? Is she a new party member or just a new S-Link? I was unclear on how much they were integrating her.

New S. Link; she works with Igor and Magaret in the Velvet Room. It's her job to copy skill cards for you. Give her any skill cards you pick up from Shuffle Time, and she'll let you purchase copies of them.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

W.T. Fits posted:

New S. Link; she works with Igor and Magaret in the Velvet Room. It's her job to copy skill cards for you. Give her any skill cards you pick up from Shuffle Time, and she'll let you purchase copies of them.

Oh hey, that was a thing they let you do in Persona 2, wasn't it? That's kinda neat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is Marie the person I read negative things about? I remember reading a bunch of complaints that "they just added someone in like she'd always been there" but don't remember which character it was.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Len posted:

Is Marie the person I read negative things about? I remember reading a bunch of complaints that "they just added someone in like she'd always been there" but don't remember which character it was.

I don't understand that complaint. Wouldn't weaving someone into the story so well that it's like she was never not there be a good thing?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Len posted:

I suppose that's true, but I think he's integrated well enough and I like her so far.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Moldy Taxes posted:

I don't understand that complaint. Wouldn't weaving someone into the story so well that it's like she was never not there be a good thing?

Yea, that's a stupid complaint. Well-integrated new characters should be the standard.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I made a mistake picking Normal difficulty :(. Getting my rear end handed to me by the trash mobs in the first dungeon. Granted i'm not losing, but I can only clear like a floor or two before I have to go sleep for the night and heal up. Why do I have to be so bad at RPGS :qq:

But the game is loving awesome though. It's heartwarming too in a weird way. You can tell the designers just love the world they work in.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

I finally got the game T_T......now just need to go home and try it out. I can die happy now.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Abu Dave posted:

I think I made a mistake picking Normal difficulty :(. Getting my rear end handed to me by the trash mobs in the first dungeon. Granted i'm not losing, but I can only clear like a floor or two before I have to go sleep for the night and heal up. Why do I have to be so bad at RPGS :qq:
I've played through vanilla Persona 4 three times and started at least six or seven playthroughs so I generally know what I'm doing, but some of the trash mobs in the first dungeon have been kicking my rear end pretty hard as well. I even died twice in approximately five minutes on floor 6 when 1) the game decided all the monsters should gang up on Narukami and 2) I got ambushed by a red shadow I never even saw because of the camera getting all wonky in doorways and narrow halls.

As I eventually learned, the silence/Makajam spell is your friend. Most enemies in the first dungeon are rendered useless when silenced, so you can just beat the poo poo out of them. Granted, that won't help you when ambushed or if the random number generator fucks you over, but it makes a huge difference in most trash mob battles.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

But the game is loving awesome though. It's heartwarming too in a weird way. You can tell the designers just love the world they work in.

Some basic advice:

1) SWITCH YOUR PARTY MEMBERS TO DIRECT COMMANDS. I cannot stress this enough, your guys are too stupid to be left to their devices.

2) If you see a new enemy, find their weakness first. Always make sure your main character can cast the elemental spells your party members cannot, especially the wind-elec-fire-ice quartet.

3) L-button is analyze, and will show you what something is weak to if you've hit them with it before. R-button will show you which person/shadow is going next.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the tips. The biggest problem I had so far is unexpectadly losing like a floors progress because a mob randomly used a self destruct move and I wasn't expecting it. My main guy has two silences/fears though but I just ran out of SP ridiculously fast because I'm dumb. :(

e; Is there a way to change the attack order of your party?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

e; Is there a way to change the attack order of your party?

There is not. They move in order of quickness but it's usually your protagonist who goes first.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Speedball posted:

it's usually your protagonist who goes first.
Really? It always seems like Yosuke ends up with higher Agility throughout the game than my MC. Then again, I tend to focus on high Magic personas, so that might be why.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

... oh my god. Oh. My. GOD.

... You can use the Gag glasses as an alternate outfit. :swoon:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
So I'll likely get my copy of this tomorrow (since the mail doesn't come today. :( ) and I'm debating whether I want to do Hard mode or not.

I'm a veteran of the series, and I just beat Persona 3 on Hard mode and it was pretty frustrating at times. I'm not 100% I want to take on a big challenge like that again--especially now that I'm hearing there's been some difficulty adjustments or enemy changes? Is the game harder now on lower difficulties?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RentCavalier posted:

So I'll likely get my copy of this tomorrow (since the mail doesn't come today. :( ) and I'm debating whether I want to do Hard mode or not.

I'm a veteran of the series, and I just beat Persona 3 on Hard mode and it was pretty frustrating at times. I'm not 100% I want to take on a big challenge like that again--especially now that I'm hearing there's been some difficulty adjustments or enemy changes? Is the game harder now on lower difficulties?

I'm hoping it comes tomorrow but supposedly I won't get it till Monday. I can't help but question Gamestop.com's shipping methods though. It went UPS from Tennessee to Ohio over to Buffalo, NY where it switched to USPS and now it's on the way back to Ohio via Pennsylvania.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

RentCavalier posted:

One of the biggest changes to difficulties is now if you die, they allow you to retry on the floor you died on, rather than reload your last save point. With the exception of Very Hard difficulty, which is old-school and forces you to reload your last save.

If you beat P3 on hard, you can definitely handle P4 on hard, and not feel too punished for failing. But at the same time, it can still be pretty challenging. I'm playing on Hard, and I actually wasn't careful and managed to die on the second boss Chie's Shadow, and it restarted me right outside the boss-room so I could go right back into it without having to redo the entire floor... a welcome change!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I keep forgetting that you can't go to the store OR go to the TV World if you socialize or do anything else in P4. drat, Persona 3 Portable spoiled me!

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Moldy Taxes posted:

Really? It always seems like Yosuke ends up with higher Agility throughout the game than my MC. Then again, I tend to focus on high Magic personas, so that might be why.

I don't know if it's still the case in Golden, but in the original during a preemptive turn the turn order goes party member 1 (Protag) through member 4 in order, this also applies to boss battles. Otherwise it is by order of agility so Yosuke goes first most of the time if you don't have some super high agility persona equipped.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

... there's an intensely terrifying presence in this treasure chest. :ohdear:

... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- :gonk:

Oh thank god Jiraiya knows Trafuri... and that it actually worked... :sweatdrop:

So... yeah. The Reaper is back, everyone.

And he's not waiting around for New Game + this time.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
If you're new to SMT games, especially P3/P4, then I don't know how you'd even play it without a walkthrough. My first attempt at P3 ended in a "No, gently caress you game" moment where doing slinks instead of dungeon grinding got me into a bad situation. Loosely following a walkthrough made P3P pretty awesome.

Schubalts posted:

Yea, that's a stupid complaint. Well-integrated new characters should be the standard.

It messes with the purity of the game, man. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find people bitching about the new shuffle time and not having to XOXOFUCKXOXO for 30 minutes to get the right ability combination.

Meanwhile pretty much every feature I'm seeing is like the best feature ever.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

God drat I love this new Shuffle Time. I mean seriously it's great.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The only thing is that I suspect it happens way less often than it did in P4 or P3P, but maybe it's supposed to work that way.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Axle_Stukov posted:

I don't know if it's still the case in Golden, but in the original during a preemptive turn the turn order goes party member 1 (Protag) through member 4 in order, this also applies to boss battles. Otherwise it is by order of agility so Yosuke goes first most of the time if you don't have some super high agility persona equipped.

Oh yeah, it's still the same. I just thought we were talking about normal encounters, not player advantages.

Ugh, I've been playing off and on since noon and I'm still in the TV. I wanted to see if I could clear the bath house in one go, but I probably shouldn't have done quest farming in the castle before that.

Just beat Hulk Hogan, so I think I'm a few floors from the end.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Mailer posted:

XOXOFUCKXOXO

This is a great representation of the old fusion system. So many fusions lost to reflexes.

e: So many Yu's on the SOS system. :allears:

e2: Ohhh, the more people that send you aid, the more HP and SP you recover from it.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 23, 2012

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

One of the biggest changes to difficulties is now if you die, they allow you to retry on the floor you died on, rather than reload your last save point. With the exception of Very Hard difficulty, which is old-school and forces you to reload your last save.
Are the save points still gone from outside boss rooms on Very Hard? I noticed they're missing on Hard, but being able to retry from the same floor makes up for it. not having those AND not restarting on the same floor seems like a dick move, but ATLUS and all.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

DeathBySpoon posted:

Are the save points still gone from outside boss rooms on Very Hard? I noticed they're missing on Hard, but being able to retry from the same floor makes up for it. not having those AND not restarting on the same floor seems like a dick move, but ATLUS and all.

I don't think there's even save points outside on Normal (or at least they've gone unnoticed by me for two dungeons now). I usually just back out and save at the entrance to the TV.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Schubalts posted:

This is a great representation of the old fusion system. So many fusions lost to reflexes.

e: So many Yu's on the SOS system. :allears:

e2: Ohhh, the more people that send you aid, the more HP and SP you recover from it.

I'm shocked that I haven't seen a single Charlie yet.

e: I love that they brought over the "make stupid phrases from preset choices" thing from Arena. It has absolutely no purpose as far as I can tell but I guess Atlus realized they had a comedy goldmine with it.

Troffen fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 23, 2012

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is Mr. Hosoi supposed to be the Japanese Mr. Garrison?

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I can't stop playing this game. It is my GOTY. I want to marry Kanji.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Good to see the bonus boss of the first dungeon is still as ridiculous as ever. I was thinking they might have toned him down for P4G because you need to be like lvl 25 (which isn't even remotely feasible after just the first dungeon, unless you're the world's biggest grinding sperglord) to beat him in vanilla P4, but that's not the case. A single Rampage is still more or less a total party kill. :unsmigghh:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Good to see the bonus boss of the first dungeon is still as ridiculous as ever. I was thinking they might have toned him down for P4G because you need to be like lvl 25 (which isn't even remotely feasible after just the first dungeon, unless you're the world's biggest grinding sperglord) to beat him in vanilla P4, but that's not the case. A single Rampage is still more or less a total party kill. :unsmigghh:

oh, well that explains that.

I thought I'd grind some levels after the first dungeon and then wtf I'm dead.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
edit: nevermind read the post wrong.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ahh, I've played through P4 three times over the years, but that's the first time I've ever beaten a dungeon from start to finish in one day.

SOS is a godsend when you get enough people.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Oh you've gotta be loving kidding me. After like a 20 minute long fight barely scraping to the end against Yukiko's Persona it does a loving kamikaze attack. :smithicide:

Maybe I shouldn't have gone with Hard on my first Persona game?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Yeah, just found that out a few minutes ago. Went in with a level 19-ish party and got him under 50% HP when he suddenly broke out Rampage and wiped me out.

My solution was to retry and make use of some Diamond Shields I'd picked up somewhere to buff everyone's defense in a single turn (and also allow Yu to go on offense right out the gate instead of wasting time swapping Personas for buffing/debuffing). I also ended up using two Physical Mirrors I had.

Second attempt ended with Chie dead, but everyone else still on their feet. And as a final "gently caress you" to that rear end in a top hat, he actually killed himself when his Rampage reflected off one of my Mirrored party members. :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Maybe I shouldn't have gone with Hard on my first Persona game?
Stick with it, the beginning is much harder.

• Locked thread