Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I love seeing what everybody else does with their days--

4/18 -

Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Into TV
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Into TV
Ate at Aiya
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie

Anxious to get to know the new girl right off the bat, eh, guys and gals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Her hat is magical, and she does that thing where you rapidly mutter a string of words under your breath. Also, yea, she's some of the most obvious new content.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I still think it's funny that exactly one of the bubbles I saw for the first day you could go into the TV was "Went straight home".

e: Here we go

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 23, 2012

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I love seeing what everybody else does with their days--

4/18 -

Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Into TV
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie
Into TV
Ate at Aiya
Spent w/ Marie
Spent w/ Marie

Anxious to get to know the new girl right off the bat, eh, guys and gals?

I love Marie. Sorry. Besides wanting to marry Kanji.

Speaking of Marie, after a while she doesn't want to go out of the car anymore and it says a "spark" needs to happen. What is this spark? :smith:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Well, that's clever. Start + PS Button = in-game screenshot.

Also, add me to the "Spent w/ Marie" list. :v:

edit: Woah, two people responded to my SOS at the same time!

~*you are not alone*~

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 23, 2012

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It took me mucking around with the voice feature to realise you can go to Aiya at night. This is pretty awesome. Also I'm one of the Yuu people, it's pretty amusing when people go "Hey Yuu." :v:

Battles are much easier then when I started to play this on Hard on my PS2 this year though. I decided to go through on Normal mode. It's a refreshing change I guess, but I'll be playing a harder difficulty on NG+ for sure.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

For some reason, all of Yu Narukami's dreams seem to be about wearing luchador masks and wrestling Chie or Marie. Yu Narukami is a strange man.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Marie is dull, like super dull. Nothing about her is interesting it's just hearing her say a few funny things and then she makes like 20 obnoxious comments and writes crappy poetry. I also hate her design, but that's a different thing altogether. Anyways, I'm at the third dungeon and this is probably the first time in any playthrough of P4 I've been OCD about leveling my Personae up so I can fuse them for better skills and to register them with all of their abilities. Before I'd just make the strongest thing I could and then waste whatever showed up.

Also, whoever though of adding in the "If you die you start at the beginning of the floor" idea deserves a bonus. Games where your main character dies and you lose are obnoxious and it's nice to see games like FFXIII and Persona 4 Golden find ways to make that less of an inconvenience.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Marie is dull, like super dull. Nothing about her is interesting it's just hearing her say a few funny things and then she makes like 20 obnoxious comments and writes crappy poetry. I also hate her design, but that's a different thing altogether. Anyways, I'm at the third dungeon and this is probably the first time in any playthrough of P4 I've been OCD about leveling my Personae up so I can fuse them for better skills and to register them with all of their abilities. Before I'd just make the strongest thing I could and then waste whatever showed up.

Also, whoever though of adding in the "If you die you start at the beginning of the floor" idea deserves a bonus. Games where your main character dies and you lose are obnoxious and it's nice to see games like FFXIII and Persona 4 Golden find ways to make that less of an inconvenience.

I can see the old-guard SMT fan objecting to it, saying it's going "soft" on the players, but I agree, after just beating P3P and dealing with myriad bullshit deaths in the last leg of that, I welcome a restart function.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Wow, Marie is The Worst Character.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I always thought game over because MC died in P4 was weird anyways. I had assumed it was in P3 because of, well, canonical reasons, and never really understood why it was in P4.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If he dies that means that he "fails" Izanami's test and the world is screwed.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Before we do the whole Marie backlash because she's popular train, can someone answer my question about why she won't go outside because we need a "spark" in our relation? I'm post-Kanji if it helps.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you find Marie to hang out with her outside of the Velvet Room, or am I too early for that?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Necroneocon posted:

Before we do the whole Marie backlash because she's popular train, can someone answer my question about why she won't go outside because we need a "spark" in our relation? I'm post-Kanji if it helps.

Since her scenes have a lot of character cross-over, she probably won't do anything until you get Rise/Teddie.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Dr Pepper posted:

If he dies that means that he "fails" Izanami's test and the world is screwed.

Ehhh, this isn't really as serious a situation as the potential situation in Persona 3. It's really just a gameplay hold-over, there's no justifcation for it besides the fact that you falling in battle just causes your team in P4 to flip out and die.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Tricky posted:

Since her scenes have a lot of character cross-over, she probably won't do anything until you get Rise/Teddie.

Ahhhhh.... Rise-kun. Thank you.

Abu Dave posted:

How do you find Marie to hang out with her outside of the Velvet Room, or am I too early for that?

Too early, eventually when you pop in the car they'll be like, take her out and she'll be all "well i'm angsty and pronounce things wrong so DEAL WITH IT"

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Beat Shadow Yosuke, finally. Shoji Meguro's score really helps these scenes, and it's good to know I've finally started this game. Only a hundred more hours to go! :woop:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Necroneocon posted:

Too early, eventually when you pop in the car they'll be like, take her out and she'll be all "well i'm angsty and pronounce things wrong so DEAL WITH IT"

You can just go in and out of the Room from the 18 onward, until the event triggers. I like her party member interactions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why? I mean I've only got up to her S. Link level 4, but the unconditional love that the group seems to have for her so far and how nothing she says ever seems to actually annoy when it is genuinely mean-spirited to them just sort of annoys me.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got the Adachi S Link, whenever I meet him it says he's busy and I have to wait until the case dies down. Does this mean don't bother trying to talk to him unless you're between kidnappings?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I got the Adachi S Link, whenever I meet him it says he's busy and I have to wait until the case dies down. Does this mean don't bother trying to talk to him unless you're between kidnappings?

I think you might have to visit him in the evening when he says that. He's dicking around at the shopping strip during that time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

RentCavalier posted:

Ehhh, this isn't really as serious a situation as the potential situation in Persona 3. It's really just a gameplay hold-over, there's no justifcation for it besides the fact that you falling in battle just causes your team in P4 to flip out and die.

... I fail to see how the entire world being shrouded in fog and everyone being transformed into Shadows is somehow less serious than the moon crashing into the planet and killing everyone since either way it means the end of humanity as we know it. :crossarms:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Another question about the spoilered S Link (probably don't read unless you've finished the original P4)

He's the Jester arcana, and it says I get an EXP boost for fusing Persona of that arcana. Did they shuffle some old ones around to be Jesters now, are they all new, or is it a red herring? I know they do something with his arcana later in the game, so I'm curious how that actually affects your fusions.

Also, what's the lowest level Aeon Persona you can have to get the S Link bonus with Marie?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If I remember correctly then they shuffled around some old persona and added a few new ones for the Jester Arcana.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

DeathBySpoon posted:

Another question about the spoilered S Link (probably don't read unless you've finished the original P4)

He's the Jester arcana, and it says I get an EXP boost for fusing Persona of that arcana. Did they shuffle some old ones around to be Jesters now, are they all new, or is it a red herring? I know they do something with his arcana later in the game, so I'm curious how that actually affects your fusions.

Also, what's the lowest level Aeon Persona you can have to get the S Link bonus with Marie?

I've only got two unlocked so far, but they seem to be new to P4. I've got the two lowest levels, Gurr and Take-Minakata.

Lowest level Aeon you can get is at 18.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Is Izanagi still a bleh persona? Kinda sad to me that you can't keep the PC's signature persona.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Superstring posted:

Is Izanagi still a bleh persona? Kinda sad to me that you can't keep the PC's signature persona.

You can't expect the thing you start with to carry you through the whole game! :v: At least not until you see the True Ending and can fuse his souped up version in NG+. When you reach level 90 or so again. Because your level doesn't carry through to NG+. (This was in vanilla P4, by the way.)

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
The damage formula uses a Persona's base level as part of the calulation, so Izanagi is always going to be pretty handicapped in anything but the very early game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DeathBySpoon posted:

The damage formula uses a Persona's base level as part of the calulation, so Izanagi is always going to be pretty handicapped in anything but the very early game.
On the other hand, it's still better than Orpheus in P3. At least Izanagi is actually vaguely useful in the first dungeon.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I figured. Just wish you could do a proper Yuu Narukami mode.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If you really wanted to, you could run around gobbling up the level up and stat boost arcana and make it work. Slap on some skill cards that you pick up for higher tier spells and go to town.

e: Motorcycle spoilers: I just started the babe hunt in Okina. I was half-expecting Deep Breath Deep Breath to start playing.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Is there any advantage to giving a skill card to Marie more than once?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jtm33 posted:

Is there any advantage to giving a skill card to Marie more than once?

It wouldn't even let me do it (I had two Sharp Students). She took one and the other never showed up to give her.

So no.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I hadn't realized that the Resist X abilities essentially replaced Wk with Str - that makes Narcissus (Aeon 24) a great early-ish choice for putting maragi/mabufu/magaru/mazio on. Enough slots for that, Resist Phys and Resist Fire and an empty for whatever. Maybe Rampage or something?

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
Didn't pick this up, since I recently beat P4, and didn't feel the need to pick it up and re-beat it on the Vita, but every single thing I see of this game, just seems like a wacky insano version of Persona 4, and I'm absolutely loving the things I'm seeing, will probably have to pick it up soon.

How are the mopeds?

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Prism posted:

It wouldn't even let me do it (I had two Sharp Students). She took one and the other never showed up to give her.

So no.

Oh right, I had 4 Agi cards and just hit register all and they disappeared from the list. The rest are probably still in my inventory.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The only thing I wish this game had was the ability to help people out without having to constantly hit SOS SOS SOS. :( I'd totally love an alert system just hanging out in the upper left or right corner. But, make it optional for those that wouldn't want it.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
So I just got a Vita from target for like $180 just to play this game. Holiday sales own. Pretty shiny little thing, maybe i'll actually use it outside of P4 time.

Anyways I have no idea how vita works, I still need to -get- the game though. Is there any reason to not just buy it from the psn or is there a reason to get a retail copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

So I just got a Vita from target for like $180 just to play this game. Holiday sales own. Pretty shiny little thing, maybe i'll actually use it outside of P4 time.

Anyways I have no idea how vita works, I still need to -get- the game though. Is there any reason to not just buy it from the psn or is there a reason to get a retail copy.

There was a preorder bonus that gave you the screen cover that came out in Japan. If you got the space and aren't a sperg about reselling games then no, digital is fine.

• Locked thread