Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Ciaphas posted:

Maybe I can't do RPGs anymore if it was so good and I got bored anyway :smith:

That's still really, really early in the game. There are so many poo poo Just Got Real moments beyond that. I wish I could wipe my memory and play the game fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ciaphas posted:

Actually thanks for reminding me of that, I got bored right around the time I got Dunban in the party.

I got bored at one point too, and a lot of it had to do with the fact I really didn't learn the games battle system so the moment I hit a point where I didn't understand Shulk's sword, I just gave up. So I started fresh and really learned it in the opening and paid attention when you learn something new and it made a world of difference. I stopped playing it recently but that's more due to the fact I don't have the time to sit down and chew on a great RPG. I only have time to play quick games of Sonic Racing.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I'm actually about to start playing Xenoblade as well. Is it a new story or will I be missing information if I didn't play other Xeno games?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm actually about to start playing Xenoblade as well. Is it a new story or will I be missing information if I didn't play other Xeno games?

Any relation to other Xeno games is only thematic I believe. It's a completely standalone game with its own unique setting.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

J Detan posted:

Does Xenoblade count? Because if you haven't played it you really should.

Everybody should play Xenoblade if they like RPGs.

So, we had a bunch of CPU chat a few pages back. Has it been confirmed that the Wii U still supports out-of-order execution for its CPU?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Regy Rusty posted:

Any relation to other Xeno games is only thematic I believe. It's a completely standalone game with its own unique setting.

Oh I see, like Final Fantasy. Well that's good to know then.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
Does anyone use the Amazon Instant Video app on the Wii U? The one on PS3 works pretty well except for the speech audio being really low relative to everything else. Really gets on my nerves.

I want to get one of these eventually. I skipped on the Wii so I'm really in the mood for some Zelda/Mario goodness (especially in HD). Plus I need to play Galaxy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I think they called it "Xenoblade" because the guy who made the other Xeno games, that's pretty much the only reason, so don't worry about playing the other games.

Also, sorry if it's been brought up already in the thread, but does the WiiU upscale Wii games?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It does but it does not render them natively at that resolution. It just stretches the 480p image to 720/1080p. Which for some TVs might look better if your TV's scaler is crap.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CousinKevin posted:

I think they called it "Xenoblade" because the guy who made the other Xeno games, that's pretty much the only reason, so don't worry about playing the other games.

Yeah, the original name was Monado: The Beginning of the World which makes more sense since the sword is called the Monado.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Today I wanted to play Nintendo Land but had no access to the TV. As a result I have compiled a list of attractions playable without one, using only the gamepad.

Can play:
Octopus Dance: no music, only sound effects, otherwise perfectly playable.
Zelda Battle Quest: Perfectly as archer.
Pikmin Adventure: Perfectly as Olimar.
Metroid Blast: Perfectly in Assault Mission mode.
DKCC: Slightly zoomed in but perfectly playable.
Captain Falcon's Twister Race: Technically playable from a top-down view, at the end of the race it tells you to look at the TV to get through some menus. Just press A until you can use the gamepad again.
Balloon Trip Breeze: Technically playable but very difficult because it zooms in so much and it's difficult to determine what's ahead of you. Wouldn't recommend.

Cannot play:
Yoshi's Fruit Cart: requires you to look at the TV for vital information to draw your lines.
Ninja Castle: Gamepad is used to throw shurikens, TV is use to show you where to throw the shurikens.
Mario Chase (multiplayer only)
Luigi's Ghost Mansion (multiplayer only)
Animal Crossing Sweet Day (multiplayer only)

No clue if anyone will find this information useful, but it's a good example of how great the gamepad can allow gameplay when the TV is being used for something else.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Aw man, this console was fun for the 60 minutes it worked. I played Nintendoland and the first level of NSMBU fine, and then in the middle of NSMBU it said there was an error reading the disc. Now the Wii U says every disc is "invalid" and can't read anything.

A cursory Google search says a few others have had this problem, and recommended I try putting the console horizontally, trying the same disc multiple times, and unplugging for a few minutes, and none of those worked. Anyone else have this problem? It seems like most of the issues here have just been freeze-related.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mancalamania posted:

Aw man, this console was fun for the 60 minutes it worked. I played Nintendoland and the first level of NSMBU fine, and then in the middle of NSMBU it said there was an error reading the disc. Now the Wii U says every disc is "invalid" and can't read anything.

A cursory Google search says a few others have had this problem, and recommended I try putting the console horizontally, trying the same disc multiple times, and unplugging for a few minutes, and none of those worked. Anyone else have this problem? It seems like most of the issues here have just been freeze-related.

A few pages ago a few people mentioned having this problem. I don't think anyone ever found a solution, but I did find this post:

TealShark posted:

I had the very same issue (Wii games wouldn't work in Wii mode as well). I ended up calling Nintendo to have it repaired since I already set it up with a Wii transfer and created a Nintendo ID on it.

It seems a few machines' drives are DOA out of the box; I definitely wasn't the first the Nintendo CSR had dealt with about this issue on Tuesday. They seemed to be really curious if this was happening before the initial mega-patch as well.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Droid Washington posted:

Today I wanted to play Nintendo Land but had no access to the TV. As a result I have compiled a list of attractions playable without one, using only the gamepad.

Can play:
Octopus Dance: no music, only sound effects, otherwise perfectly playable.
Zelda Battle Quest: Perfectly as archer.
Pikmin Adventure: Perfectly as Olimar.
Metroid Blast: Perfectly in Assault Mission mode.
DKCC: Slightly zoomed in but perfectly playable.
Captain Falcon's Twister Race: Technically playable from a top-down view, at the end of the race it tells you to look at the TV to get through some menus. Just press A until you can use the gamepad again.
Balloon Trip Breeze: Technically playable but very difficult because it zooms in so much and it's difficult to determine what's ahead of you. Wouldn't recommend.

Cannot play:
Yoshi's Fruit Cart: requires you to look at the TV for vital information to draw your lines.
Ninja Castle: Gamepad is used to throw shurikens, TV is use to show you where to throw the shurikens.
Mario Chase (multiplayer only)
Luigi's Ghost Mansion (multiplayer only)
Animal Crossing Sweet Day (multiplayer only)

No clue if anyone will find this information useful, but it's a good example of how great the gamepad can allow gameplay when the TV is being used for something else.

Wow thanks for the effort, I'll add this to the second post.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, is the Wii Channel regionless? I had my Wii hacked to get it to work with Xenoblade, and I am afraid of doing a transfer.

Also, word to those about to play Xenoblade: The sidequests, while generally interesting, really do get you overleveled, and may burn you out on the game, like with me. It is a great game though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

Actually thanks for reminding me of that, I got bored right around the time I got Dunban in the party.

Play a little more. The best is still to come.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Unlucky7 posted:

So, is the Wii Channel regionless? I had my Wii hacked to get it to work with Xenoblade, and I am afraid of doing a transfer.

No, the disc has to be the same region as the Wii U.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Unlucky7 posted:

You can transfer stuff from your modded Wii just fine, it doesn't run any sort of check. You can even soft-mod the Wii Mode on Wii U, as far as I know.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty much considering selling my PAL copy of Xenoblade on eBay, getting an NTSC copy and then doing that save transfer thing another poster mentioned.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

So, anybody download a game on this thing yet? If so, how long did it take to download? I just bought ZombiU off the e-Shop and it's estimating the download time at over 20hrs for 5.7 gigs. There's no way it should take that long, right......right? :(

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Den of Lies posted:

So, anybody download a game on this thing yet? If so, how long did it take to download? I just bought ZombiU off the e-Shop and it's estimating the download time at over 20hrs for 5.7 gigs. There's no way it should take that long, right......right? :(

Nah, it corrects the estimate down to what your line speed supports. You can still do stuff while it's downloading, too. 5.7GB will probably take a couple hours though, and you do have to manually install it when you're done downloading like you're on a PS3 or something - the install will take probably 20-30 minutes for that much.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

parasyte posted:

you do have to manually install it

This is insane btw, I experienced this with NSMBU. Why in the hell would I download it but not install it?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Fatal posted:

This is insane btw, I experienced this with NSMBU. Why in the hell would I download it but not install it?

What's insane? You can download in background but not install in background. So you pick when you want to install. Makes sense to me. I guess they could have a install when done dling box you could tick.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Of course you're going to install it, but the thing with installing is that you can't interrupt that process the way you can with downloading. It makes sense to have them as distinct steps.

I've downloaded three retail games so far, and as long as you're okay with the inevitable fact that a massive file will take many hours, the process is great.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

I've downloaded three retail games so far, and as long as you're okay with the inevitable fact that a massive file will take many hours, the process is great.

Oh yeah, I'm fine with that. I get most of my PC games through Steam, so I'm used to the wait. It was just jarring to see it estimate the time at over 20hrs at first. I kept looking when it first started and it never seemed to go down to a more reasonable time.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Of course you're going to install it, but the thing with installing is that you can't interrupt that process the way you can with downloading. It makes sense to have them as distinct steps.

It is annoying to be sure, and the only company that seems to fully 'get' network connected consoles is Microsoft. I don't know what kind of black magic they work since the games do come down compressed, but take no particular time to install.

Still, the Wii U is somewhat better than the PS3 in this regard since downloads are backgrounded by default.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
You guys act like Nintendo can't fix these things anymore. Stop bitching here and shoot them an email. If enough of you complain, the worst that could happen is a press release saying "no."

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Chronojam posted:

So, we had a bunch of CPU chat a few pages back. Has it been confirmed that the Wii U still supports out-of-order execution for its CPU?
No clue about it being confirmed but it's likely, the GC/Wii CPUs did OoOE after all. And as far as the clock speed mentioned in that CPU chat, by itself it's meaningless without knowing anything else about the CPU. Think about the old high clock P4s vs any of the lower clocked Core CPUs since then for example.

Also there's the development side of things, for the last seven years or so devs have been optimizing and getting the most out of the 360/PS3 and now there's something different/new to deal with. Hell look at Mac and PC versions of some games running on the exact same hardware to see how dealing with a different software platform alone can screw with things.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Played about an hour of ZombiiU. It is rough, and the melee combat sucks, but it does have a certain "something" that I find admirable about it. Not sure if that is because I am trying to justify getting it, or if it really is a rough jem, but we shall see.

Original Gamer
Sep 13, 2002

A few quick thoughts on Nintendoland:

Obviously Mario Chase and Luigi's Ghost Mansion are the big winners in the set. I wish Nintendo had spent more time making all the games deliver a unique gameplay experience like these 2 games do, where as most of them feel like tech demos designed to show off a single feature of the gamepad.

Speaking of these 2 games, the balance dramatically shifts when going from 3 players to 4. Even though the levels scale in size, playing as Mario was a huge advantage with only 2 chasers, and a much more even affair when faced with 3. In Luigi, the ghost has an overwhelming advantage when against 3 humans, but with 2 each person gets 2 lives before needing to be revived, and this actually seemed more balanced. Either way, can't wait for the chance to try both games with the full 5 people. Should be insane.

The only single player game I found remotely fun was the balloon flight. The others lost my attention within 2 minutes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Original Gamer posted:

A few quick thoughts on Nintendoland:

Obviously Mario Chase and Luigi's Ghost Mansion are the big winners in the set. I wish Nintendo had spent more time making all the games deliver a unique gameplay experience like these 2 games do, where as most of them feel like tech demos designed to show off a single feature of the gamepad.

Speaking of these 2 games, the balance dramatically shifts when going from 3 players to 4. Even though the levels scale in size, playing as Mario was a huge advantage with only 2 chasers, and a much more even affair when faced with 3. In Luigi, the ghost has an overwhelming advantage when against 3 humans, but with 2 each person gets 2 lives before needing to be revived, and this actually seemed more balanced. Either way, can't wait for the chance to try both games with the full 5 people. Should be insane.

The only single player game I found remotely fun was the balloon flight. The others lost my attention within 2 minutes.

Actually we had a wild time with Animal Crossing and five players. The player controlling the guards had a target rich environment but the players could coordinate to steal candy. Much more than the other multiplayer games. I think the preferences were AC, Luigi's Mansion, then Mario Chase way below that. Mario Chase was more interesting to us with three players but as you noted Mario has a big advantage on that one.

Metroid was fun when we had two players but bumping that one up to five made things too simple. It seems Zelda had a similar problem. We did have fun with Pikman and three players.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

parasyte posted:

It is annoying to be sure, and the only company that seems to fully 'get' network connected consoles is Microsoft. I don't know what kind of black magic they work since the games do come down compressed, but take no particular time to install.

Actually MS was first to put out a patent on background installs and neither Sony or Nintendo want a court injunction against their product like what happened with Apple and the Galaxy Tablet in Europe.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXLmDRwxAUU

Why isn't this game on the Virtual Console :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AngryCaterpillar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXLmDRwxAUU

Why isn't this game on the Virtual Console :negative:

You'll take your Starfox 64 3D and like it! :colbert:

Also, that was really good.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
So how does Wii->Wii U transferring work when I keep all my Wii eShop downloads on an SD card? Do I need to move all those back to the Wii's internal memory first? And if so, what happens when the Wii runs out of space to hold that poo poo? Can I do a second transfer?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

grilldos posted:

So how does Wii->Wii U transferring work when I keep all my Wii eShop downloads on an SD card? Do I need to move all those back to the Wii's internal memory first? And if so, what happens when the Wii runs out of space to hold that poo poo? Can I do a second transfer?

Anything not on the dashboard has to be redownloaded. So you should try to move stuff to it. Your old Wii will be wiped but it can do another transfer a week later.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Anything not on the dashboard has to be redownloaded. So you should try to move stuff to it. Your old Wii will be wiped but it can do another transfer a week later.

Well, that's better than once ever.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

So, whenever I go to Facebook in the browser, it loads the mobile site. Is there a way to get it to display the normal site?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Speaking of racers without triggers, I wonder if a slider on the touchscreen for throttle would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

horriblePencilist posted:

Speaking of racers without triggers, I wonder if a slider on the touchscreen for throttle would work.

Please God no, that's the dumbest idea I've ever read. Just use the second analogue stick for throttle/break, it's not ideal but that's what was standard before triggers.

• Locked thread