Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Man, I am getting really well acquainted with the game over screen, even in the first dungeon (I'm playing on hard).

I'm stressing out over midterms, so I'm trying to get this dungeon done in two days. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Cannot Find Server posted:

And is the new character not terrible? Her artwork doesn't really fit this game (it'd look more at home in Catherine or something) and it kinda makes me really weary of her.

She's decent (if kind of pointless) but then lots of spoilers happen and she takes a huge nosedive into being terrible, sorry.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Edit: ^ Welp. poo poo.

How is the difficulty? I played the original on normal the first time through and found it refreshingly difficult without being total bullshit. I've read a couple people that say it's harder on normal than last time?

It feels about the same. Stuff is going to be harder depending on how much you want to min/max things. The drops feel about the same as well, though I never cleared the more bullshit quests in the original.

quote:

And is the new character not terrible? Her artwork doesn't really fit this game (it'd look more at home in Catherine or something) and it kinda makes me really weary of her.

She looks and is voiced like someone hanging out in Hot Topic. Her slink doesn't really match that, at least as far as I've seen, and it's decent enough.

yulia tymotebow
Jan 8, 2011

by Lowtax
First impressions:

Sup dude/Where've you been? are infinitely better than whatever Dojima or Nanako say when you come home.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

yulia tymotebow posted:

First impressions:

Sup dude/Where've you been? are infinitely better than whatever Dojima or Nanako say when you come home.
"Welcome home, Big Bro!" is the most goddamn :3: thing ever :colbert:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

U.T. Raptor posted:

"Welcome home, Big Bro!" is the most goddamn :3: thing ever :colbert:

She's always so happy to see you. :3:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yes, I just got the SUITS! I am set for life now. If only we could combine the Nose Glasses with the Suits.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

If you go into the TV world on rainy days, you'll have no problem getting the drops you need. Normal seems easier than P4, mainly because you get bonus stats, bonus levels, it's easier to fuse, and some of the bosses were nerfed pretty heavily. Shadow Teddy was a complete joke, and Shadow Yukiko was a lot easier as well

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Oh god yes, Golden's version of P3's "hit on girls" scene is amazing. There's horror movie music! I'm dying here.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sarkozymandias posted:

There was an episode of the anime that's basically what the protagonist's random social link grinding activities look like from everyone else's perspective and it's about as ridiculous as you'd think it would be.

I've only seen a clip of this on youtube and it was the funniest thing I'd seen all week, no joke.

So apparently going to the TV World on rainy days increases certain benefits, right? One thing I noticed it that it seems that it makes all fusions have some extra benefit.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Speedball posted:

So apparently going to the TV World on rainy days increases certain benefits, right? One thing I noticed it that it seems that it makes all fusions have some extra benefit.

Some shadows only appear on rainy days, and there are also more glowing shadows, which are generally ones from higher levels in the dungeon or multiples of an otherwise solo encounter, like 3 of the knights in the castle rather than just the 1 you'd normally fight.

It's also preferable to go into dungeons on rainy days since you can't do most s-link poo poo on those days anyway. You should only ever be dungeon-ing or doing the Beef Bowl on rainy days.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Oh... oh my God. That scooter trip to Okina on 6/15 has to be the greatest thing in the entire game now. I don't care what else they added this is the absolute pinnacle. There are at least a half dozen points during those scenes where I just completely lost it.

The voice work, jesus.

"Oh so THIS is what you meant by up close and personal. I get it now."

GOLD.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So even if I can't finish the Aiya Super Beef Bowl Challenge it's worth it to try, right?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Speedball posted:

So even if I can't finish the Aiya Super Beef Bowl Challenge it's worth it to try, right?

Absolutely. You get multiple stat increases every time you do it. I believe it's the most efficient stat-raising thing in the game, at least until you've maxed one or two of them out.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

It's always worth a try if you have nothing else to do.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Meiteron posted:

Oh... oh my God. That scooter trip to Okina on 6/15 has to be the greatest thing in the entire game now. I don't care what else they added this is the absolute pinnacle. There are at least a half dozen points during those scenes where I just completely lost it.

The voice work, jesus.

"Oh so THIS is what you meant by up close and personal. I get it now."

GOLD.
That bit was glorious. I hope the other new scenes are half as good.

Anyway, what's the deal with getting the fishing rod? I looked up how to do it, and apparently you're supposed to talk to a kid at the shrine and give him food so he'll give you a bug you can then feed to the fish at Shiroku Pub, which gives you a fish hook you give to the old man, but the bug-catching kid doesn't complain about being hungry or anything like he should. Instead he just says how someone took his bug-catching net and tells me to keep an eye out for it (apparently the woman in white has it and wants a fish for it). What the hell, am I locked out of getting the fishing pole and the bug-catching net because I didn't trigger a certain conversation with an NPC earlier?

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 24, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

You should be able to find the net somewhere, then I guess that unlocks bug-catching for you. You just need to bring a bug to the pub, I don't think it needs to be specifically from the kid.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Schubalts posted:

You should be able to find the net somewhere, then I guess that unlocks bug-catching for you. You just need to bring a bug to the pub, I don't think it needs to be specifically from the kid.
Well, I looked up where the net is, but it seems I need a Red Goldfish for that. How am I supposed to get a Red Goldfish without the fishing rod?

fake edit: according to gamefaqs you're supposed to talk to the kid before 6/4 to trade for the bug. Welp, guess who missed that! :shepicide:

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
How do I get more auto-combos? Like when Chie and Yukiko do twin dragons? I need more of that.

Thanks!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Necroneocon posted:

How do I get more auto-combos? Like when Chie and Yukiko do twin dragons? I need more of that.

Thanks!

It's character specific, there are only three.

Chie + Yukiko
Yosuke + Teddie
Kanji + Naoto

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

fake edit: according to gamefaqs you're supposed to talk to the kid before 6/4 to trade for the bug. Welp, guess who missed that! :shepicide:

Yeah, this is probably the only thing they changed that I didn't like. I just wanna fish, why you gotta make it so obtuse when the old guy just gave you a rod in the regular version?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Speedball posted:

I've only seen a clip of this on youtube and it was the funniest thing I'd seen all week, no joke.

which episode is this?

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's character specific, there are only three.

Chie + Yukiko
Yosuke + Teddie
Kanji + Naoto

Ahh. Makes sense.

Yosuke and Teddie tho :catstare: I wonder why (Don't tell me this is my first time playing this game!)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schubalts posted:

Is this Witch Detective book a Twilight callout or something? Girl moving to a new school, "Vampires are involved.", "...The content of this book was almost physically painful for you to read."

I think so, but it was actually in the original game too. Also since Breaking Dawn Part II just came out it's still sort of relevant.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Holy crap they made a little Mother's Day Nanako event.

Nanako, the most :smith: Persona character.

It was sad but I told her we could still give her mom the flowers (i.e. put them on the family altar) and she was really happy her mom could enjoy them. :unsmith:

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Better than the band at least.

I actually picked band because holy poo poo Yumi's drama is annoying.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I just learned a skill by contemplating the vastness of the ocean :psyduck:

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
This game is really superb. It is the JRPG I've always longed for but hadn't been able to find. Are the other Personas as good, or will I inevitably be let down because 4 is so fantastic?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

beergod posted:

This game is really superb. It is the JRPG I've always longed for but hadn't been able to find. Are the other Personas as good, or will I inevitably be let down because 4 is so fantastic?

1 and 2 are totally unlike 3 and 4. 3 is good, but P4 is better in every way.

Also

Gyre posted:

I actually picked band because holy poo poo Yumi's drama is annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

1 and 2 are totally unlike 3 and 4. 3 is good, but P4 is better in every way.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

This is pretty accurate. I would still recommend 3 though, it's still fun and a great time it's just not as good as Persona 4.

There are worse fates than merely being not as good as Persona 4 though.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Another dumb question. I already met up with the fox, got the relationship blah blah. I did an ema thing and now it wants me to meet up with the fox again.

My question is where do I meet up with the fox I search all over and can never find it!

quote="Captain Oblivious" post="409881350"]
This is pretty accurate. I would still recommend 3 though, it's still fun and a great time it's just not as good as Persona 4.

There are worse fates than merely being not as good as Persona 4 though.
[/quote]

Extremely accurate. Persona 3 is AMAZING. but Persona 4 is them perfecting the Persona series.

So i'm guessing when Persona 5 comes out in 2020 it will ascend to Godhood.

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 24, 2012

weast
Nov 7, 2012

Does anybody know what the stones such as Iolite and Fluorite do?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Necroneocon posted:

Another dumb question. I already met up with the fox, got the relationship blah blah. I did an ema thing and now it wants me to meet up with the fox again.

My question is where do I meet up with the fox I search all over and can never find it!

The Fox isn't going to be at the shrine automatically, if you completed the quest then by picking the prayer shrine (which is how you even talk to the Fox to begin with) then the Fox should show up. The only reason the Fox wouldn't show up is you're not done with the quest yet.

weast posted:

Go to Shiroku at night and you can trade the gems for items.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

weast posted:

You trade them to Mimi from the Drew Carey Show, she runs the bar at night in the business district.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Necroneocon posted:

Head back to the shrine, walk up to the main hall (the building on the far right-hand side), and press X to summon the Fox.

Also, just as a heads up, accepting an ema request does not use up time, but turning in a request does use up time.

weast posted:

Go out at night and head to the Shiroku Pub (where the Shiroku Store is during the day time). The owner will trade you weapons and armor for certain gem combinations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RentCavalier posted:

This analysis doesn't help me what's girl's weakness what do I do DO I CAST BUFU I'LL DO IT I'LL CAST BUFU

BUFUUUUUU

oh poo poo she's dead oh god oh poo poo

If you drink enough spoiled milk you'll get better at that.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Man, the new Shuffle Time is crazy. I got really lucky with Magician, and by the end of the 3rd dungeon I had a single persona with Auto-Tarukaja, Apt Pupil, Power Charge, and Brave Blade. :getin:

e: worth mentioning that it started with a Light physical, and got hit with Magician three times, upgrading the same move every time. I wonder if that's intentional, or I just got absurdly lucky?

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 24, 2012

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Golden Battler posted:

Man, the new Shuffle Time is crazy. I got really lucky with Magician, and by the end of the 3rd dungeon I had a single persona with Auto-Tarukaja, Apt Pupil, Power Charge, and Brave Blade. :getin:

e: worth mentioning that it started with a Light physical, and got hit with Magician three times, upgrading the same move every time. I wonder if that's intentional, or I just got absurdly lucky?

Magician is great since it doesn't completely screw you at random like the skill changes in P3P.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I swear to God, without google I would get every school question wrong :catstare:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Necroneocon posted:

I swear to God, without google I would get every school question wrong :catstare:

I dunno if they've been changed, but I remember in the PS2 version some of them being really easy and some of them being completely incomprehensible to anyone not living in Japan. There was one in particular about some Japanese poet that I cannot imagine Atlus could have expected any of their Western audience ever knowing without looking it up.

On that note, I hope they haven't changed them, since I have all of them memorized by heart at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

I dunno if they've been changed, but I remember in the PS2 version some of them being really easy and some of them being completely incomprehensible to anyone not living in Japan. There was one in particular about some Japanese poet that I cannot imagine Atlus could have expected any of their Western audience ever knowing without looking it up.

On that note, I hope they haven't changed them, since I have all of them memorized by heart at this point.

I read they added new ones, I wouldn't know since I never played the original, but i do believe I read it somewhere.

• Locked thread