Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Alteisen posted:

So umm, where do I go now in Demon, I opened up all the areas but I'm to scared to go anywhere. :cry:

Poor little birdie. Come, fly into my hand and I shall tell you the songs to sing.

Your path herein is threefold, for three are the realms accessible. You might think to go to world 2, Stonefang Tunnel, but take heed that it is a place of sturdy denizens and harsh flames--your weapons shall do little against those who lie within, unless you decided to specialize in the Soul Arts. But if you did, then you should really head to...

World 3, the Tower of Latria. This place has tough enemies, but if you focus in magic then you'll be able to go toe to toe with them. Take advantage of fire magics in this place, and you'll find a lot of good gear for a lighter armored character.

Or, if you were a melee-focus, you'd do well to continue past where you beat Phalanx, and go and defeat the boss of the next area of Boletaria Palace. You'll get more exp, some decent gear and lots more healing items. From there, you'll want to head to the Shrine of Storms, world 5...but you'll want a certain type of weapon before you go, which will require a brief journey into world 4, the Valley of Defilement.

So, to be brief: If you use magic, go to the Tower of Latria, if you swing sharp objects, continue on through Boletaria, then head to the Shrine of Storms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Or do valley first if you want a faith build.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

For my first character (Hiltless/Sticky Compound Bow+5 goodness) I did 4-x, then 2-x, 3-x, 1-x and 5-x.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Tragedy struck my ps3 slim HD recently and I lost all my saves back to 2008 when I needed to restore. As my trophy list was getting super bloated, I decided to make a new PSN and start from square one. I thought, I'll finally plat Demon's Souls as the first game on my new account. So I beat all the bosses, did all PWWT stuff, decided to sign up for Plus to back up my save this time.

Unfortunately, since I kept my old account for its purchases, I did plus on that one. So logged in as other user and uploaded save to cloud.

Well the HD died again last week so I got a new one, downloaded the save, and neither account could see it when I fired up the game. I think using one username account to backup saves from another account doesn't work, I guess it was dumb to hope so but after blitzing through all the bosses in a week I wasn't ready to start over again.

Oh well, six months from now I'll give it a third go. Someday, DS. Those seven suicides in each world were taking forever. Some of the BPs like Satsuki were really hard I thought also, never tried many of them before.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm doing the tower and its freaking me out. :cry:

I will never listen to bells quite the same way again, also had an odd glitch, I was attacking some enemies through a metal gate with a rapier, I somehow bounced back, clipped through the metal railing behind me and fell to my death.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
I'm stuck in 3-2 (Tower of Latria) and can't figure out what to do next. I stopped both rituals or whatever, which caused the chains holding up the big... thing in the middle to break, it fell and I think died, spit out a bunch of those centipede/scorpion things. I found where it fell down to, cleared out that area and picked up the loot down there (ring of avarice and epee rapier), but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do now :(

e: Just found a huge spiral staircase above that area, with a black phantom squid mage. I'm guessing this is it.

e2: Yeah, that was it. Maneaters down :hellyeah:

Wait, so that monk boss, was that actually another player? This game is weird and wizards are way too powerful, I just cast Warding and he couldn't damage me or stagger me, so I went to town with my crescent falchion and he died while I was still at like 90% hp.

All I have left is the last two stages of Valley of Defilement :( Time to figure out how to make it through this swamp without being destroyed by black phantoms and giant goblins.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 25, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The monk is only sometimes another player. If there's no one around you just fight the weak rear end AI, which uses claw weapons. No player really uses those, so if he had claw weapons it was probably the AI. Also players obviously behave like humans when you fight them, you'll know when you run into one right away.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Yeah, I guess it was a player. He was using some two-handed spear or scythe thing and was behaving like most players I faced in Dark Souls. Either he wasn't very good or Warding is extremely strong.

Just took down the Dirty Colossus, getting pretty drat close to the end. I'm in a hurry to finish this up and play through as a character that isn't horrendously overpowered :v:

e: Or Garl Vinland can just one-shot me, whatever!

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 25, 2012

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Yeah, I guess it was a player. He was using some two-handed spear or scythe thing and was behaving like most players I faced in Dark Souls. Either he wasn't very good or Warding is extremely strong.

Just took down the Dirty Colossus, getting pretty drat close to the end. I'm in a hurry to finish this up and play through as a character that isn't horrendously overpowered :v:

If you use magic, the most hilarious way to fight him is to get him to follow you back as far as he'll go, then just pelt him with magic until he falls over. He'll just stand there and not fight back as all.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Probably a little of both.

Anyway, consider yourself very lucky. Even in the olden days it was few and far between that you faced a human monk. He was probably waiting for hours for you to make it into 3-3. Then you aced him. So now he doesn't get his awesome hat. And has to wait again. Hehe.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 25, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sheep did you say False King was more resistant to fire instead of magic? According to this he's weakest to fire (though not by much).

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/walk1-4-boss

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok so I'm in 4-1, made it to the end of the tunnel, how do I open the jail? Also I know its Patches in there.

You could have warmed about the giant as gently caress demon guarding the left turn, and the skeletons...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alteisen posted:

Ok so I'm in 4-1, made it to the end of the tunnel, how do I open the jail? Also I know its Patches in there.

You could have warmed about the giant as gently caress demon guarding the left turn, and the skeletons...

No it's Blige, Patches is in 4-2. On the first bridge overpass in the level (above the first fog door) the key is on the far end down the staircase

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Did I screw myself by trading the monk's soul for Homing Soul Arrow instead of building an Insanity Catalyst? I've felt like my magic has been really strong all game, but now that I'm on the last boss I'm struggling through the area leading up to him. I summoned a blue phantom whose soul arrows were doing 6 times as much damage as mine (against the dragon before the last boss, my soul arrows were doing 53 damage and his were doing 304). My Magic stat is at 30 and I'm using a wooden catalyst.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Did I screw myself by trading the monk's soul for Homing Soul Arrow instead of building an Insanity Catalyst? I've felt like my magic has been really strong all game, but now that I'm on the last boss I'm struggling through the area leading up to him. I summoned a blue phantom whose soul arrows were doing 6 times as much damage as mine (against the dragon before the last boss, my soul arrows were doing 53 damage and his were doing 304). My Magic stat is at 30 and I'm using a wooden catalyst.

No you're fine. Insanity catalyst has a bit of a disadvantage in that it halves your MP, so it's mostly best if you have a super high intelligence. Homing soul arrow is really good for False King since you can dodge or do other melee attacks while they attack him automatically. Also you should be using the silver catalyst, you can get one in the area above the 3-1 boss (opposite from where you get the key to Sage Freke).

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Mostly I'm just wondering how that other guy was doing so much more magic damage than me :sweatdrop:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

actionjackson posted:

Sheep did you say False King was more resistant to fire instead of magic? According to this he's weakest to fire (though not by much).

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/walk1-4-boss

Not False King. You use your dragon weapon on him. Old King. The dick in the tower.

Mostly I'm just wondering how that other guy was doing so much more magic damage than me :sweatdrop:

Tornado hat plus iCat plus magic ring. Once upon a time I helped a certain goon get past his NG+ Maneater roadblock by one-shotting Maneater with Firestorm using that setup. I ran in the area intending to flip around and fireball my way to victory but after coming through the fog and dashing to far side I found the first maneater in the process of stinging himself in the head (my host was hesitantly pacing around maybe ten paces away, having just recently made dozens of unsuccessful tries at killing those assholes on his own) and I thought, hey, might as well. Ran up next to him, cast the spell, and the one cast did so much damage that number two didn't even show up -- like Dark Bead on the Four Kings in Dark Souls.

Anyway, Homing Soul Arrow is by far the best use of that soul for mages. Then iCat. The other two spells are raw sewage. The only time it's better to build the iCat first is if your character is going to be using Light Weapon a lot.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 25, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Higher magic stat or ring of magical sharpness probably. Are you saying you did 53 TOTAL damage with all five arrows hitting?

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

actionjackson posted:

Higher magic stat or ring of magical sharpness probably. Are you saying you did 53 TOTAL damage with all five arrows hitting?

Sorry, Soul Ray is actually the spell I was thinking of, not Soul Arrow (getting things confused with their Dark Souls counterparts), I was wearing the ring of magical sharpness. He was wearing a monk hat, I was not.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Magic bonuses are multiplicative. It can get pretty absurd if you can stack one more item on. The monk hat is a near requirement for pure / near-pure mage NG+.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I wouldn't go that far, but it certainly helps.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sheep-Goats posted:

Probably a little of both.

Anyway, consider yourself very lucky. Even in the olden days it was few and far between that you faced a human monk. He was probably waiting for hours for you to make it into 3-3. Then you aced him. So now he doesn't get his awesome hat. And has to wait again. Hehe.
Really? I only got Demon's Souls this summer and played through to NG+++, and every time bar one that I fought the monk it was another player - you can tell because the cutscene is unskippable!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I played through the game 5 times since it was released up until about a year ago and never got an AI monk once. Usually it's a shitshow until you run into someone who lets you win or sucks horribly.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If its a claw phantom its not a player. I had an AI monk 100% of the time for myself.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 25, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It also tell you their username "has invaded"

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I had more trouble making it up the tower in 3-3 than anything else in the game. Eventually I just restarted in offline mode so I could skip the normally unskippable cutscene that takes forever to play.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Alteisen posted:

So I'm doing the tower and its freaking me out. :cry:

I will never listen to bells quite the same way again, also had an odd glitch, I was attacking some enemies through a metal gate with a rapier, I somehow bounced back, clipped through the metal railing behind me and fell to my death.
Wait 'til you get to the bottom :froggonk:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Old King can kill me in one hit, and I really want the stamina ring so gently caress it, poison cloud. Also he was sort of glitching in that he kept getting stuck next to the bridge, but whenever you tried to attack you'd hit the wall and he'd one shot you.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

How can you even get hit by Old King except by rushing in and bashing on him without care. I'm bad at bosses like him and I still almost never get hit.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

KaneTW posted:

How can you even get hit by Old King except by rushing in and bashing on him without care. I'm bad at bosses like him and I still almost never get hit.

As I just said, he was in a spot where my hit wouldn't actually connect (though it looked like it would), so I was wide open to a counter attack. Also unlike my SL1 character, I'm guessing you could at least take or block one hit without dying.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I killed Old King the same way you kill Havel in Dark. Roll through for backstab until he dies. Of course Old King is faster and backstabs less forgiving but I was younger in those days too.

KaneTW posted:

We're talking about the blue humanoid guy in 1-1. Are you talking about that same guy?

The easy way to off him (without getting too cheesy) is to two hand a Halberd or Mirdan hammer and just out range him. Or use a flattening weapon like the meat cleaver and keep him on his face. But you cant do either of those with a sl1 guy.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 25, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

With my more powerful characters I just ran back to that inside area where he finally turns around, when he did so hit him a few times and repeat.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
So if I'm SL47 with 19 in Strength and 20 in Dexterity, should I at this point pick one to stick with or keep putting points into both of them evenly?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

So if I'm SL47 with 19 in Strength and 20 in Dexterity, should I at this point pick one to stick with or keep putting points into both of them evenly?

If you're not going to put a lot of points into magic or faith, yes and do clearstone (quality) upgrades. If you follow the Ostrava storyline you get pure clearstone in 1-3. I'd use a falchion. If you aren't going to use a bow much I would just do a strength build (greystone).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Why falchion when you can kilij? Hubba hubba hey

I'm not going to lie, the kilij going missing was a disappointment for me when I started playing Dark Souls. Thing is a buzzsaw.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

I killed Old King the same way you kill Havel in Dark. Roll through for backstab until he dies. Of course Old King is faster and backstabs less forgiving but I was younger in those days too.

We're talking about the blue humanoid guy in 1-1. Are you talking about that same guy?

The easy way to off him (without getting too cheesy) is to two hand a Halberd or Mirdan hammer and just out range him. Or use a flattening weapon like the meat cleaver and keep him on his face. But you cant do either of those with a sl1 guy.

Oh. I thought Old Hero :downs:. Stupid similar names.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

Why falchion when you can kilij? Hubba hubba hey

I'm not going to lie, the kilij going missing was a disappointment for me when I started playing Dark Souls. Thing is a buzzsaw.

I've never used it. How is it different?

Oh, question about false king - will I be able to survive a direct hit from him? I'd like to take him while two-handing moon falchion +5 with adjudicator. I have a ton of grass so as long as I don't get one-shot I should be okay.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
False King: Some shots you can take. Some you can't. Generally though he shouldn't one shot you. I killed him in hyper mode though. Too much loving hp.

Kilij: a little longer, a little stronger, four times as cool

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010

actionjackson posted:

If you're not going to put a lot of points into magic or faith, yes and do clearstone (quality) upgrades. If you follow the Ostrava storyline you get pure clearstone in 1-3. I'd use a falchion. If you aren't going to use a bow much I would just do a strength build (greystone).

I don't use a bow much but does a strength build still work well with fast characters? I've been using medium armor and dodging around a lot so far so would dexterity give me more options end game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

I don't use a bow much but does a strength build still work well with fast characters? I've been using medium armor and dodging around a lot so far so would dexterity give me more options end game?

You pretty much want a "fast" (i.e. fast roll) character no matter what in this game. It's not like in Dark Souls where a tank build can really be viable. Again, it depends on what your goals are:

If you want to emphasize strength, get a medium or large sword (like a knight sword or claymore) or an ax and do crushing upgrade

If you want to get more into magic, use a crescent or moon weapon. Moon is more powerful but crescent gives mana regen.

If you want to get more into faith, get a blessed weapon (faintstone path).

• Locked thread