Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Crotch Bat posted:

That is absolutely horrifying. He looks like a platypus-gorilla from the The Island of Doctor Moreau.

The staff have entirely too much fun with those things. It's like, each time they try to top their previous efforts to make it as monstrous as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I didn't expect PaRappa to get translated so soon, but I'm really happy to know it will be done since that is easily one of the best GCCX episodes ever (and not just because of the game). :)

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Stop hyping up the episode so much guys, you're making me super impatient.

On the OP of the last thread, there's a link to download a one-shot manga about how an episode is made. That link is now dead and there's no new links on the OP. Is it considered :filez: now?

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

zari-gani posted:

Date and time: December 22, 2012 (Saturday) 10 AM~5 PM
-Start: Akihabara Shuukaijou (秋葉原集会所)
-Goal: Tsuu'un Kai'in (通運会館)

This year, we will set up special spots in both the starting and goal points.
The starting point will have a merchandise booth and portrait corner.
The goal point will have a charity bazaar.

MERCH BOOTH! I have to be downtown that day anyways... should I do another merch run for the thread? :ohdear: It makes me sad I have nowhere near the language capability to do the murder mystery part.

Chococat fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 24, 2012

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Yes. Yes, you should. :colbert:

But only if you actually can (Moneywise).

And by the way, thanks for the Bandana. I haven't had a chance to wear it for anything yet, but it's great to have some non-DVD physical GCCX merch.

...I still have to buy the DVDs. I am a terrible fan. :negative:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So is the Japanese version of Parappa still in English?

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Volfogg posted:

Yes. Yes, you should. :colbert:

But only if you actually can (Moneywise).

And by the way, thanks for the Bandana. I haven't had a chance to wear it for anything yet, but it's great to have some non-DVD physical GCCX merch.

...I still have to buy the DVDs. I am a terrible fan. :negative:

Yeah, my only limiting factor at TGS was no compatible ATMs in the building. Plus the Yen rate has improved since September (hooray!). I'll have to figure out a better way of handling orders instead of clogging up the thread though.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Hakkesshu posted:

So is the Japanese version of Parappa still in English?
The voices (both in the cutscenes and levels) and level titles are, but subtitles are in Japanese. So, it's actually very playable if you somehow got the Japanese version and don't know a lick of Japanese. I dunno about the menus (if the game had them, it's been years since I've played), but I'm sure they're easy to figure out within a few minutes.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Obeast posted:

The voices (both in the cutscenes and levels) and level titles are, but subtitles are in Japanese. So, it's actually very playable if you somehow got the Japanese version and don't know a lick of Japanese. I dunno about the menus (if the game had them, it's been years since I've played), but I'm sure they're easy to figure out within a few minutes.

I can't even imagine there being that many options. Nor any huge surprises. It's not like the Japanese has a "launch all nuclear missiles" options. The worst you might do is switch the game from stereo to monaural.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Oops, that's Tsuu'un Kaikan, if anyone's looking for it in romaji.

Looking forward to PaRappa. I started burning through the untranslated raws and am glad I held myself back from watching that one. (I was thisclose!)

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
If you know Japanese, why are you waiting for subs? :psyduck:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Because when you're a non-native speaker, it's a lot easier and more enjoyable to read subs for vernacular Japanese than it is to piece it together while watching.

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes

zari-gani posted:

Date and time: December 22, 2012 (Saturday) 10 AM~5 PM
-Start: Akihabara Shuukaijou (秋葉原集会所)

Event details:
Game Center CX Murder Mystery in Akihabara
~Find the Producer's Killer!~
1. First, please receive the participation paper at the starting point in Akihabara Shuukaijou.
2. Witnesses linked to Producer Kan's killer can be found around Akihabara, so gather their testimonies and guess the killer.
3. Once you know the culprit's identity, head to the goal: the Tsuu'un Kai'in! If your theory is correct, you will receive a Christmas & New Years postcard designed by Chief Arino with handwritten messages from the staff.

This year, we will set up special spots in both the starting and goal points.
The starting point will have a merchandise booth and portrait corner.
The goal point will have a charity bazaar.
Oh mannn. Totally gonna head over for this. B) My Japanese is likewise probably not good enough for the mystery portion, but it'd be kinda fun to at least follow the mob around... and definitely hit up the merch booth at the end.

CHOCOCAT if you need help with merch orders let me know! I can buy stuff for people too if the yenload becomes too much for you to bear on your own.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I'm thinking of heading to it too. The mystery part sounds fun but having to listen will make it... a real challenge but we'll see. If I can drag a friend along, it won't be an issue. I don't know anyone into GCCX though :(.

quote:

Because when you're a non-native speaker, it's a lot easier and more enjoyable to read subs for vernacular Japanese than it is to piece it together while watching.

Indeed. For me, GCCX is a lot harder to watch raw than a lot of shows. I might be okay if I know the game and so know what to 'expect' but it can be very tough. I'm somewhere between N3 and N2 though so others may find it easier.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hokuto posted:

Plus the rest of my family loves GCCX but doesn't understand Japanese. My son asks me almost every day if there's a new Arino (and even he watched the Kickle Cubicle raw to get his fix).

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Chococat posted:

I'll have to figure out a better way of handling orders instead of clogging up the thread though.
Would PMs work?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Chococat posted:

Yeah, my only limiting factor at TGS was no compatible ATMs in the building. Plus the Yen rate has improved since September (hooray!). I'll have to figure out a better way of handling orders instead of clogging up the thread though.

Maybe start a new thread and put a link to it in this thread.

Also, I don't have a Platinum Account and have no way to send a PM. Would email be a way to contact you.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Hirayuki posted:

Oops, that's Tsuu'un Kaikan, if anyone's looking for it in romaji.

Thanks for the correction. That was a dumb mistake I made.

Sadly I don't own Parappa the Rapper, but I have UmJammer Lammy so I played it last night. I don't like the songs and story as much. :( I don't normally download games but I may have to get Parappa off the PSN.

ETA: Wait, is it only for PSP?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 24, 2012

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

For all it's worth, Parappa the Rapper 2 is way better in terms of its writing, and much cheaper, too.

There's also an anime of it which happens to be pretty hilarious.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

zari-gani posted:

Thanks for the correction. That was a dumb mistake I made.

Sadly I don't own Parappa the Rapper, but I have UmJammer Lammy so I played it last night. I don't like the songs and story as much. :( I don't normally download games but I may have to get Parappa off the PSN.

ETA: Wait, is it only for PSP?

All PS1 classics (downloads) and discs will play on all PS3's. Not sure about Vita compatibility though.
Edit: Parappa did get a PSP port. Maybe you were looking at that?
Edit 2: Holy poo poo. It's not on PSOne Classics? color me surprised...

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 24, 2012

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Yeah the Parrappa on PSN is the PSP version. We only ever got Lammy on the PS1 classics service.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

PS1 PaRappa is screwy on PS3. The timing is just plain bungled by the emulation for some reason.

Pretty fun ep by the way!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

rdbbb posted:

PS1 PaRappa is screwy on PS3. The timing is just plain bungled by the emulation for some reason.

Pretty fun ep by the way!

I think to do Parappa properly, you probably still need an original PSX and CRT tv.

I cannot do UmJammer Lammy stage 2 on normal on a PS3 with the original PSX disk and I'm decent at music games.

Haven't tried a PS2 but it might be a little better on that. Can anyone weigh in one this?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I'm sure it's a combination of TV and emulation, but the fact that they put Lammy up there suggests that PaRappa was coded differently enough.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I already watched, understood, and enjoyed the Parappa challenge raw, but I like the SA team's translation quality so much I'll gladly watch it again with subs.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Ineffiable posted:

Haven't tried a PS2 but it might be a little better on that. Can anyone weigh in one this?

I played it on a PS2. It was nearly impossible on PS3 and PS2 worked much better, but the timing still feels a teeny bit off. For some reason, Stage 1 was the least forgiving.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

I still haven't managed to figure out a good way to check PMs on my phone and they're next to impossible to reply to so that's a no go. I'll set up a dedicated email address for this I think. :)

If any of you other people planning to go check it out (DiscoJ, draks) can make it early in the day do you mind grabbing pics of the merch and posting it in the thread? I'm pretty far out on the edges but I've got somewhere to be @ 3PM so I'm going to have to get into the city anyways. :)

Chococat fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 25, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Chococat posted:

I still haven't managed to figure out a good way to check PMs on my phone and they're next to impossible to reply to so that's a no go. I'll set up a dedicated email address for this I think. :)

If any of you other people planning to go check it out (DiscoJ, draks) can make it early in the day do you mind grabbing pics of the merch and posting it in the thread? I'm pretty far out on the edges but I've got somewhere to be @ 3PM so I'm going to have to get into the city anyways. :)

Something awful apps on droid and iOS can do pms and you can check them a few times a day with like 3 button presses

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Chococat posted:

Are you going to start a new thread to take request for the GCCX mechandise?

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ineffiable posted:

Something awful apps on droid and iOS can do pms and you can check them a few times a day with like 3 button presses

HOW?? I have the Awful app and I don't see an option for my PMs at all.

joek0 I'm planning on running it all through my email if they let me buy piles of it again, I don't know if they'll have limited stock or what.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Chococat posted:

HOW?? I have the Awful app and I don't see an option for my PMs at all.

joek0 I'm planning on running it all through my email if they let me buy piles of it again, I don't know if they'll have limited stock or what.

Hit the Awful App.

Main Screen.

Envelope in top right.

If you don't see that, you are seriously out of date and update that app right now mister. :argh:

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

rdbbb posted:

I'm sure it's a combination of TV and emulation, but the fact that they put Lammy up there suggests that PaRappa was coded differently enough.
Or they didn't want to cannibalize the sales of the PSP port (currently $22 on PSN).

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Tobaccrow posted:

Or they didn't want to cannibalize the sales of the PSP port (currently $22 on PSN).

Exactly. I have been wanting to grab PaRappa on PSN for a while, but I can't justify paying more than I did when it was popular on PSX.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Tobaccrow posted:

Probably not, though it is pretty stupid to leave it at that price for so long (I think LocoRoco is still at that price?). Also, I speak from experience playing the game as a disc on PS3, and it really is in 'unplayable' territory.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Glad you finally got it to work out, zari-gani. The timing was really obscenely bad on the ps3.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
Honestly the timing on Parappa always felt a little off to me. I think its more coded to the bar at the top than it is to the actual music and the bar wants you to hit it a tiny bit faster than rhythm games have taught us to.

And of course the engine being more forgiving of rapid button sections than slow deliberate but slightly late presses. That's why the first level can be a pain.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 25, 2012

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
You know, been watching the DVD episodes, what was peoples beef with the Shiren one? Like I went into it thinking he'd be hand held through the whole challenge, but it didn't seem like anything worse then help he's gotten before. Like okay an AD got him a strong sword and some really useful items, how is that any worse then when they grinded him 35 lives in Mighty Bomb Jack?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
People who play video games are crazy and that's pretty much all there is to it. :shobon:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

You know, been watching the DVD episodes, what was peoples beef with the Shiren one? Like I went into it thinking he'd be hand held through the whole challenge, but it didn't seem like anything worse then help he's gotten before. Like okay an AD got him a strong sword and some really useful items, how is that any worse then when they grinded him 35 lives in Mighty Bomb Jack?

I think it was just more that he wasn't careful with what he had. I mean, I was like, "Well it's Arino," but I can definitely see how some folks would see it as "Arino you loving fuckshit just port your items back home before you die and forge them even stronger noooooo god dammit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I watched the Shiren episode the other day and I'd say my biggest complaint was the first half. It's not fun watching Arino play the same 10 floors over and over again without any improvement, constantly being screwed over by the RNG just not giving him the Melding Pot he actually needs to progress in the game.