Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rake Arms posted:

Don't both SKUs come with a sensor bar? Sleepness should be set with just the controllers. Look for the Wii U branded remotes, though. They all have MotionPlus built in.

The black one does, the white one may or may not depending on your region, as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Well, after posting about how I wasn't having any freezes, I'm getting them pretty consistently in NintendoLand. It's pretty odd, it's only in 2-player, playing a round by myself is fine. We tried out Metroid and Zelda and had the issues both when selecting Miis and when starting new rounds. Once a round started it was fine. Really bizarre.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

gobbledygoat posted:

Sorry 'bout all the black bars, thread, but better safe than sorry.

I just scanned the two seperate pieces of the code, it gave me x-x-number-number and number-number-x-x, then I just imput those. Can you not scan them at all? I had issues with the roof objective too, it wasn't starting the cutscene even after I cleared it off, but a quick save reload solved that. I'm not sure about your bug but I think if you're still getting the find fuel objectives you should be okay?

Crazy, yeah it doesn't let me scan either one at all. As for the roof stuff it all played out like it should have according to a walkthrough I looked at after I got stuck (which by the way all end before where I am which was nice and frustrating. Heh.) it just never took that objective away and i've got the "Go to Spitalfield Green" one too now so who knows. FAKE EDIT: Just turned it back on and doubled back to Tower of London and a chopper is still there hovering off to the side and the objective refuses to go away and the code at the door in the markets refuses to let me scan it. Guess I get to start over. C'est la vie.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Echophonic posted:

Well, after posting about how I wasn't having any freezes, I'm getting them pretty consistently in NintendoLand. It's pretty odd, it's only in 2-player, playing a round by myself is fine. We tried out Metroid and Zelda and had the issues both when selecting Miis and when starting new rounds. Once a round started it was fine. Really bizarre.

I had a freeze after playing NSMBU yesterday after completing a level, screen just went black so I had to reset. That was the first time I had any problems.

Today, I played 3-player Nintendoland (never had any problems with it before, up to 4 players). Three times in a row either during the game or at start-up, the console freezes with a somewhat high-pitched continuous hum. Goddamnit, more and more things keep popping up and right now it's unplayable! I'm just gonna let it rest overnight, maybe it'll get better... anyone have advice for this? :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I finally jumped back onto the Wii U and accepted a bunch of Goon requests, now I have friends. :d: Also, I'm loving this Miiverse poo poo, it's so easy to interact with people and not deal with retards. And a ton of people are really talented. I think I enjoy the social aspect of the Wii U more than Xbox Live, and I never thought that'd happen.

MaxOfS2D
Oct 13, 2011

machinima machine
I might buy a Wii U for Skyward Sword;

I assume I'll have to buy a wiimote with motion plus, right?

Is retrocompatibility fine?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You'll have to buy a Wiimote and Nunchuck and the compatability is fine and was designed to be used with Wiimotes and the sort.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
drat, Darksiders 2 has some nice music. It's all nice and tranquil and hopeful, not what I expected from a game where the main character is literally the Grim Reaper and oozes GRIMDARK from every pore.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Liku posted:

It'd be cool if you get different hats, like on the 3DS, for your Mii from different games via "achievements" or something of the sort. I love my Miiparade and all the hats everyone likes to wear because of it.

But I'm glad this console doesn't have achievements either.

Not caring about achievements is understandable, but I don't get the folks who are glad it doesn't have them. They're an optional set of goals that you can ignore if you wish. Achievement-based Mii rewards would be fun.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Supercar Gautier posted:

The quick fix until a patch arrives is to set park visitors to English speakers only.

If this doesn't work you can try disconnecting from the internet.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

xwonderboyx posted:

I've already bought a couple of games through the shop and I'm not concerned. I still have my launch Wii running just fine. I don't know of any other situation where I would need my games on another account beyond system failure and Nintendo can take care of that for me.

My launch Wii died and I want to transfer my VC games over to the WiiU. I still have the broken console, Nintendo customer support said they'd do the transfer but I'd need to pay to get my Wii fixed ($75 for repair + $10 shipping).

I don't think I'll be buying any VC/eShop games until they get their poo poo figured out. I think this is pretty ridiculous.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Anybody notice that the baby Yoshis sing along with the music? It's especially noticeable in the Dragoneel level. That level is also incredibly chill and definitely my favorite so far! The titular Dragoneel does a little spin whenever the music chimes. :3: Doing that level with a baby Yoshi was just so relaxing!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Silver Falcon posted:

Anybody notice that the baby Yoshis sing along with the music? It's especially noticeable in the Dragoneel level. That level is also incredibly chill and definitely my favorite so far! The titular Dragoneel does a little spin whenever the music chimes. :3: Doing that level with a baby Yoshi was just so relaxing!

Man you guys would fuckin' love Rayman: Origins.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Toady posted:

Not caring about achievements is understandable, but I don't get the folks who are glad it doesn't have them. They're an optional set of goals that you can ignore if you wish. Achievement-based Mii rewards would be fun.

Because plenty people on Live want you to gawk at their achievements and consider it a mark of "skill," so you get a lot of arrogant twats online bragging about them. Without such a system in place it nullifies some of that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Jesus H. Christ I'm managing to enjoy Ninja Gaiden 3 (when you get the bow, buy the Falcon Eye or whatever skill ASAP) but the bosses are ridiculous, and not in the Ninja Gaiden 2 way.
I'm fighting this blue lady with chimera arms and she has a million spillion HP. I wail on her for like 40 minutes and she loses very little HP, and sometimes even gains some. It's completely unfair and somewhat monotonous.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Calaveron posted:

Jesus H. Christ I'm managing to enjoy Ninja Gaiden 3 (when you get the bow, buy the Falcon Eye or whatever skill ASAP) but the bosses are ridiculous, and not in the Ninja Gaiden 2 way.
I'm fighting this blue lady with chimera arms and she has a million spillion HP. I wail on her for like 40 minutes and she loses very little HP, and sometimes even gains some. It's completely unfair and somewhat monotonous.

Sounds like a gimmick boss where you have to hit her at a proper time to do a QTE to inflict massive damage. Pure guess on my part though.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
For anyone interested in the Uplay stuff, you can unlock the ZombiU (and Wii U AC3 stuff too) using the Uplay client on the PC after you sign-in with your Uplay account in-game. I unlocked some new skins for the cricket bat (including the Union Jack :britain:), a kind-of-dumb 8-bit version of the title screen and song, and a bonus concept-art video. There is also a "multiplayer survival game mode" reward, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I was curious about the YouTube app. Is it possible to use playlists on it? I'd like to set it up where it just plays a series of videos without having to mess with it.

Also, how the hell do I put the video on my gamepad?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You can't, the Youtube app in general is pretty poor honestly. Just use Youtube in the Wii's web browser as the experience is significantly better in every way.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Neo Rasa posted:

You can't, the Youtube app in general is pretty poor honestly. Just use Youtube in the Wii's web browser as the experience is significantly better in every way.

Oh. drat...

Why the gently caress doesn't the Wii U web browser use Flash? Same for 3DS. It's loving ridiculous not to use it these days.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Waffleopolis posted:

Oh. drat...

Why the gently caress doesn't the Wii U web browser use Flash? Same for 3DS. It's loving ridiculous not to use it these days.

Flash is a memory hog and really pretty poo poo. HTML5, which the Wii U supports, SHOULD cover you pretty well. It supports YouTube, as has been said.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Cause it'd require them to get Adobe's help...plus Flash is a pretty common attack vector (although usually sandboxed these days?), and Adobe themselves gave up on the mobile version, in the old web plugin sense at least. I think they're still pushing it as a development platform with portable elements to everything.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Waffleopolis posted:

Oh. drat...

Other way around in my opinion. Devices should start dropping Flash support until it shapes the gently caress up.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Flash is old technology that is (thankfully) dying out. HTML5 is basically better in every way.

On topic, someone said that when I registered my WiiU Deluxe Bundle, it would automatically register NintendoLand. But it didn't, and it doesn't come with a code. I want my coins, drat it!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The thing I hate about zombiu is that every time you start it up you get a warning about ubisoft collecting anonymous stats from players. I selected no every time I played then one drunken night I told them sure, take my data. No alerts now! No way to disable it either.

How is that fair?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

flyboi posted:

The thing I hate about zombiu is that every time you start it up you get a warning about ubisoft collecting anonymous stats from players. I selected no every time I played then one drunken night I told them sure, take my data. No alerts now! No way to disable it either.

How is that fair?

I don't mean to challenge you on this because surely you should be able to disable this if you want to but why don't you want those stats collected?

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Flash is old technology that is (thankfully) dying out. HTML5 is basically better in every way.

On topic, someone said that when I registered my WiiU Deluxe Bundle, it would automatically register NintendoLand. But it didn't, and it doesn't come with a code. I want my coins, drat it!

I believe you'll get a survey in your to-do list about a week or so after completing the Wii U survey itself. At least, that's what I remember reading at the top when I did the survey...

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Went out with the wife today to "see if anyone has the WiiU but we don't really expect to find one in stock because we didn't want to really spend the money for it but if we actually found one then probably..."

Second store (Toys-r-us) had 5 Deluxe editions in stock so we ended up grabbing it with Mario. Must say, we've had a blast with it so far. It looks like we'll be able to use it as a pretty decent replacement for our Xbox 360 (aka 'the Amazon Prime box'). I'm interested to see how the dynamic will get utilized and we've been having a great time with the included NintendoLand game and Mario.

I've been toying with picking up ZombiU but I'm not entirely sold on it yet. (Assassins Creed III is higher on the list but I haven't played Revelations yet so I don't want to ruin anything). Until then, I think we can keep ourselves pretty occupied with this thing.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Supercar Gautier posted:

The quick fix until a patch arrives is to set park visitors to English speakers only.

Oh, I didn't see this post! I will definitely try this; of course, the Wii U menu is so confusing that I can't guarantee I'll find it right away, but it's better than no idea on how to fix it at all. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

shadowobsessed posted:

Oh, I didn't see this post! I will definitely try this; of course, the Wii U menu is so confusing that I can't guarantee I'll find it right away, but it's better than no idea on how to fix it at all. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

If I remember correctly it's hit start while you're running around the park, then options then you can change the language of people who come to your park. Pretty straight forward.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Looks like Wii Play Motion is $15 at Walmart, which might be an even better deal than Fling Smash at TRU if you need some extra Wii Remote Plus controllers.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=16518428&sourceid=32576464093883692051&veh=aff&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY

sold out online but worth checking your local stores availability... Maybe Amazon will price match?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Liku posted:

I finally jumped back onto the Wii U and accepted a bunch of Goon requests, now I have friends. :d: Also, I'm loving this Miiverse poo poo, it's so easy to interact with people and not deal with retards. And a ton of people are really talented. I think I enjoy the social aspect of the Wii U more than Xbox Live, and I never thought that'd happen.

The most shocking thing about Miiverse is that the general population is pretty chill. I would have expected it to be overrun with bozos, but it isn't.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

why don't you want those stats collected?

Are you serious? That literally should never have to be asked ever ever ever ever

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Commissar Ken posted:

If I remember correctly it's hit start while you're running around the park, then options then you can change the language of people who come to your park. Pretty straight forward.

Thank you, I'll try that out! :D

Astro7x posted:

Looks like Wii Play Motion is $15 at Walmart, which might be an even better deal than Fling Smash at TRU if you need some extra Wii Remote Plus controllers.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=16518428&sourceid=32576464093883692051&veh=aff&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY

sold out online but worth checking your local stores availability... Maybe Amazon will price match?

Thanks for this! I still need one more Wiimote with Motion Plus to make a full set (we got the only three FlingSmashes at Toys "R" Us).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just discovered how to message people on my friends list. I apologize for the random nonsensical, poorly drawn messages I am sending you random goons.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Revol posted:

The most shocking thing about Miiverse is that the general population is pretty chill. I would have expected it to be overrun with bozos, but it isn't.
It's really quite surprising. Even the worst people seem to just be stupid/bad at drawing. It's the best online community I've experienced for anything game related. The potential is basically endless. Imagine a game like Dark Souls on the Wii U with the ability to have a full game specific forum to help each other out and discuss the game. I could see it negating the idea of having to grab the laptop/iPad when you're stuck in a game. Of all the "social gaming" trends going on at the moment I think Nintendo's style is almost perfect.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The premise is so simple, too. "Let's take Twitter, add a pinch of Tumblr, and moderate the living gently caress out of it."

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Astro7x posted:

Wii Play Motion is definitely a better game than Flingsmash at least!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Thanks very much for this! As you said it was sold out online, but most of the local Walmarts seemed to have it in stock. It only lets you select "1" for a quantity, but it allowed me to add it to the cart 4 times. I'll know for sure when I try and pick it up in the morning!

Thanks again for posting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's really quite surprising. Even the worst people seem to just be stupid/bad at drawing. It's the best online community I've experienced for anything game related. The potential is basically endless. Imagine a game like Dark Souls on the Wii U with the ability to have a full game specific forum to help each other out and discuss the game. I could see it negating the idea of having to grab the laptop/iPad when you're stuck in a game. Of all the "social gaming" trends going on at the moment I think Nintendo's style is almost perfect.
And keep in mind it's still early with only NSMBU and Nintendo Land actually having support for it (and maybe some others?). They're the only games with context tagging...which granted isn't too useful now without being able to filter down to your current context, but it seems like the framework is there for it to be possible later.

I checked out the Madden community earlier today and it's pretty much a general football forum. I liked the "press yeah if you think the jets suck" post (I did of course) and one handwritten post which was just "FIRE NORV" :laugh:

Supercar Gautier posted:

The premise is so simple, too. "Let's take Twitter, add a pinch of Tumblr, and moderate the living gently caress out of it."
Yeah moderating like hell is the key to keeping it from all going to poo poo I imagine.

• Locked thread