Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Vil posted:

The clothes don't help, though. Since Sharla is unavoidably fanservicey, the fairest you can do in that regard is put every last character in a swimsuit for equal opportunity fanservice. (With a bonus of hilariously inappropriate outfits for serious cutscenes.)

I was pretty horrified I had Fiora in a bikini when she's killed near the beginning of the game. And yet... I still keep putting them in those kinds of outfits any chance I get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I can't help it, either. I had Sharla dressed like some kind of stripper minotaur in this game, and in Last Story, Dagran wore a lovely pink skirt and nothing else.

It really changed the tone of several cutscenes, that's for sure. His endgame speeches were hilarious.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Equal opportunity sexyness. For Numbers reasons my Shulk spent a lot of the game in oil and board shorts or swim trunks.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Beach Dunban is the best Dunban (stat-wise, too!)

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Raising affinity with Central Bionis sucks.

I've completed 50 quests in Frontier Village, 7 in Makna Forest, 8 in Satorl Marsh, 11 in Valak Mountain, and only have rank 3 affinity.

I'm never getting Sharla or Riki's 4th... let alone any of the 5ths that require near rank 5 with Central Bionis.

edit - wait, I think Valak mountain raises affinity with High Entia. But still! It blows!

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 21, 2012

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Poniard posted:

Beach Dunban is the best Dunban (stat-wise, too!)

Has to be late in the game to be worth it :colbert:. Shulk starts getting trunks in the very first zone and oil by Eryeth sea I think.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Ok, that wasn't too bad. I was able to get to 4 affinity after going back and doing all the quests for Zazadan and now everyone has their 4th.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nathilus posted:

Has to be late in the game to be worth it :colbert:. Shulk starts getting trunks in the very first zone and oil by Eryeth sea I think.

Late? I was using it before the massive plot twist and doing great. Linking the Melia no gems = stat boost skill should be the prerequisite.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Xenoblade Chronicles: Robot Smashing Beach Bum Brigade

Seriously, I don't rememember there being this many beaches in a game since Chrono Cross.

Which was also by these devs, wasn't it.

That reminds me: I still need to wrap this up.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
gently caress Rainbow Slugs.

Finally got the last one I needed last night after over a month of fruitless wandering up and down the Digit 5 beach.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Keska posted:

gently caress Rainbow Slugs.

Finally got the last one I needed last night after over a month of fruitless wandering up and down the Digit 5 beach.

I got three in half an hour.

Here, come closer. Let me eat your pain.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I never found the second ice cabbage.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was considering doing a fresh playthrough of this game to show off to family, thanks for reminding me about the collectables. Now I don't want to do it anymore.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

You don't need them and only about four are impossible to find. I just got OCD about filling up the collect-a-thon book and the whole town. That's the worst reason to not finish, or not play.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Chronojam posted:

I never found the second ice cabbage.

Black liver bean for me. I got one early in the area and never found another one for my collection no matter how many times I reset the clock. I think it was useful for Colony 6 or something so I'm glad I didn't stick it in the collection before using it.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Gecko codes to just cheat yourself some of the most ridiculous collectibles is a great reason to hack your Wii.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Black liver bean for me. I got one early in the area and never found another one for my collection no matter how many times I reset the clock. I think it was useful for Colony 6 or something so I'm glad I didn't stick it in the collection before using it.

Now that you mention it... I'm looking for black liver beans right now. Where'd you go in your futile attempt at finding them?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Ballz posted:

Now that you mention it... I'm looking for black liver beans right now. Where'd you go in your futile attempt at finding them?

I don't actually remember where I got the one I found as it just sort of happened while I was wandering, but I know I kept looking at the last pickup if you run up the path away from the Bionis' heart because that's where the internet told me they tended to show up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I don't actually remember where I got the one I found as it just sort of happened while I was wandering, but I know I kept looking at the last pickup if you run up the path away from the Bionis' heart because that's where the internet told me they tended to show up.

That's where I found mine. It took an insane amount of retries, though. Ice cabbages and fossil monkeys, man. :smithicide:

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
If you're looking for Black Liver Beans, I remember exactly where I got one, since I was alternating looking for those with teleporting over to the Fallen Arm to look for the Rainbow Slugs. Walk down to the bottom of the Third Lung and let yourself be blown upwards by the geyser there. Right in front of where you land is a collectable that can be a Black Liver Bean.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Just got to one of the major twists in the story that I never got to before. Was playing on Wii, but switched to a New Game+ save on Dolphin as I don't have THAT much time to burn and it looks amazing emulated.

This game really does have an amazing story. Especially as you follow the dialogue between characters from a lot of the side quests. You can tell a lot went into the writing. And even though I came across spoilers by accident, I didn't expect the "twist" to play out the way it did. That was really well done.

gently caress, this game really may ruin Japanese RPGs for me if I'm actually expecting some sort of decent story vs just wanting to see numbers go up to kill things harder.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

What's the difference between the normal game and the New Game+?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ballz posted:

You keep your levels and you get to bring some stuff with you. That's it. Not very interesting.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Specifically, you carry over your levels, art mastery, party affinity, achievement records (but not trials, nor do I know if progress towards records is saved) and money. You can then choose 30 weapons and armor each and 60 materials to carry over along with any gear you have equiped when you beat the game, the rest of non-key items carry over automatically. You also start the game with True Monado equiped on Shulk and as the game warns when you first get it, if you don't carry it over on successive playthroughs you lose it permanently. Oh and finally, Mumkhar has his Mechon look for the entire game including the intro.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Ballz posted:

You wreck the poo poo out of the caterpillar. You know the one.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Chronojam posted:

You wreck the poo poo out of the caterpillar. You know the one.

I wrecked it the first time I went through the cave :smug:

Took five or so tries, but drat did it feel good.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Rainbow Slugs require a thunderstorm. Then they have a decent chance of spawning in the secret area, which is great because you can fast travel right to it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Holy gently caress I need to stop doing side quests I am 12 hours in and not even in that sewer pipe to Colony 6 yet. I am in the mid 20s level wise and the only monsters that even come to attack me are the out of depth 70+ dudes. But the side quests go away if I progress too far what if I need them :supaburn:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Giggily posted:

That's where I found mine. It took an insane amount of retries, though. Ice cabbages and fossil monkeys, man. :smithicide:

Ice cabbage: trade with Yura on Valak Mountain (requires 4 star affinity with Upper Bionis, if you've already recruited him to Colony 6 then you missed this chance)

Fossil monkey: trade with Berryjammy or Puko in Frontier Village, requires 2 stars. Or overtrade with Rasha, also in Frontier Village.

Sadly there don't seem to be any trades for black liver beans or rainbow slugs :smith:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Holy gently caress I need to stop doing side quests I am 12 hours in and not even in that sewer pipe to Colony 6 yet. I am in the mid 20s level wise and the only monsters that even come to attack me are the out of depth 70+ dudes. But the side quests go away if I progress too far what if I need them :supaburn:

The quests on Bionis' Leg don't go away just from advancing the plot, it's when you choose to start on an optional side activity. The quest that triggers this involves clearing a bridge of enemies then telling some people it's safe to cross. It should be pretty obvious when you find it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
welp.

I'm sold. Best JRPG ever.

Except if you count D* Souls

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Finally found another reason to use Dolphin instead of the Wii. It's much easier to get Black Liver Beans when you can quick save/load.

I have no idea how anyone could be that patient to find them normally, especially if they never bothered to Google it or look at a walkthrough/FAQ.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The other cool thing about NG+ is you never have to bother with collectables anymore if you don't want to.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm a little unclear on the Bionis's anatomy. They're vague on how all this stuff is supposed to work but from what I can guess at, he has a swamp in his groin, where the first breathing hole is located. The second breathing hole is located on his lower back.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Trying to apply any logic to it will just make your brain hurt. Dude has an ocean along his spine.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I hope that stuff doesn't fall off when I find the pilot's chair at the center and get this thing moving.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm a little unclear on the Bionis's anatomy. They're vague on how all this stuff is supposed to work but from what I can guess at, he has a swamp in his groin, where the first breathing hole is located. The second breathing hole is located on his lower back.

It's a visual pun. Swamp rear end. He farts.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yep. Colony 6 is just below his waist, you circle his waist and bam.

Swamp rear end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
When I first looked up and saw the Eryth Sea where the sky should have been I could almost hear Physics in a corner, rocking back and forth, giggling softly to itself.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Finally said "gently caress the quests I'm beating this thing" tonight. Man, what a great ending. On the one hand I'd love to see a sequel or something else that takes place in the Xenoblade universe, but on the other, Shulk's recreation of the world as a peaceful utopia kind of minimizes the possibilities of conflict. But man, all the characters really grew on me, I hate to see them go. Melia especially. Poor, friendzoning, third wheel Melia. You needed better closure. :smith:

Fired up the New Game+ although I don't know how far I'll take it. Looking forward to getting some sweet retribution on that caterpillar. And this guy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Oxxidation posted:

When I first looked up and saw the Eryth Sea where the sky should have been I could almost hear Physics in a corner, rocking back and forth, giggling softly to itself.

It makes sense when you realise that the whole Eryth Sea area is on top of those long wing things coming out of the Bionis' upper back. The underside must be made of some clear material so you can see the water from below.

• Locked thread