Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

JINKY posted:

Anyone else thinking that between skill cards, the new retry system, SOS, going out at night, and the new shuffle time after battles that they've made the game WAY too easy?

I dunno, I started this on hard just after finishing P3P on hard and I think it's just as difficult. The only difference is that I don't lose 6 floors of progress because an enemy opened with Mamudo and missed everyone except Yu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The game isn't any easier on a gameplay level, it's just easier on a user interaction level because you don't have to go through stupid bullshit of losing four hours of your life because you didn't save, or going through a hundred menus trying to get Spell X on Elder God Y, or micromanaging 50 Soul Drops every two battles. It's just streamlined.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Marie wrote a rap about clowns! :allears:

Now I wish there was a rap battle event.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Schubalts posted:

Marie wrote a rap about clowns! :allears:

Now I wish there was a rap battle event.

You want some of DIS whiskey? :whatup:

I've spent most of June 25th running around the Bathhouse and the Castle, beating the optional boss for the Bathhouse and picking up quest objectives from both. I'm currently up to floor 4 in the Striptease. I'm debating on whether I should just call it a day and come back later, or power on through and thrash the boss at the end. (I'll probably power on through.)

If they're not going to let me do anything at night after doing the TV world during the day, then I'm sure as hell going to get as much mileage out of it as I can. :colbert:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Still only in the first dungeon, but it's pretty great so far. Selecting what you want in fusion is brilliant. New Shuffle Time is good as well. Skill Cards seem pretty useful, although I haven't bought any yet. Network stuff is interesting. And it's portable.

RIP "aha, is this our chance" though. It's just not the same (Actually, that's a good thing).

Oh, and starting off with the compendium was great. Did that happen in original P4?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, the compendium was always there. Only The Answer from P3:FES lacks the compendium.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

New Chie's earned her keep, with me, early on, because her Persona-summoning quote of "Come ON!" is much more rad than the previous actor's "Come on..." (Sorry, Tracey Rooney, I just like Erin Fitzgerald.)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Speedball posted:

New Chie's earned her keep, with me, early on, because her Persona-summoning quote of "Come ON!" is much more rad than the previous actor's "Come on..." (Sorry, Tracey Rooney, I just like Erin Fitzgerald.)

Did she always do her Bruce Lee cry in the english version of the original? Her fighting dance and assist already made her a permanent party member but that puts it over the top.

I wish the vita didn't have the world's worst wireless so that I could spam SOS. Grinding and then running back to the previous dungeon to milk healing cards is slow. The fact that I can't use the online features at home is the only problem with this game.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Right now the biggest mystery that I want to solve is what triggers the fox giving you costumes, he's only given me four so far but I'm going under the assumption that he has at least one or two per character.

edit: For the record the costumes I got from the fox so far are:

Chie: Kung Fu Costume(kind of like a red Chun Li with a hat?), Track Suit(Bruce Lee)
Kanji: Kingpin Duster(kinda like the cheer outfit but pink)
Teddie: Lord Flauntleroy(a weird jester prince get up, probably a reference to a japanese theme park going by the description it gives.)

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 26, 2012

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Oh, man.

I was looking at my rescue request log and one person had the best message ever.

This guy had a picture of Nanako with the text reading "Every Day's Great At the Meat Dimension."

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 26, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

My current rescue message is a picture of Chie with the text "Delicious Meat Dimension Steak?! AWWWW YEEEEEEAH!"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
So far I'm up to the Red Zone Party Funtime Dungeon and these gold hand enemies are making the game trivially easy with their awesome XP and Money drops.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I kept getting parties of 5 golden hands at once and all but one with run away by the end of the fight. :(

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

OmegaZultan posted:

I kept getting parties of 5 golden hands at once and all but one with run away by the end of the fight. :(

Chie is great for this, revolution+rampage means you're gonna crit like half of them. If you have a persona with rampage, odds are you can get an aoa and get like 3 levels in one battle. :getin:

In Naoto's dungeon, the hands enrage themselves, so they're even easier to take down. It's a great place to level up underleveled characters.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Regence posted:

Chie is great for this, revolution+rampage means you're gonna crit like half of them. If you have a persona with rampage, odds are you can get an aoa and get like 3 levels in one battle. :getin:

In Naoto's dungeon, the hands enrage themselves, so they're even easier to take down. It's a great place to level up underleveled characters.

Yep, and she has the crit up passive too (apt pupil maybe?) :getin:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I was running into a lot of those in Kanji's dungeon. I must've leveled up at least 6 times. Made the boss a pushover.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I've got a question for those of you who have already powered through to the end of the game (I'm still between the first two dungeons, personally)

End game spoilers: is there still a timeskip to Christmas after you finish Magatsu Inaba, or have they cut that out since they added a whole bunch of extra days between Christmas and the ending?

I need to know how to plan out my social links and dungeon crawling to maximize my time.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I can't confirm the Christmas thing but You get most of January and early February to keep doing social links.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hm, prioritizing social links...

I'm very tempted to just try to max out Chie as soon as possible. Her power to kick rear end is hella handy for all sorts of things...

So many books to read, too...never going to finish them all...

Serious question, is there a book to read that makes bookreading faster? There seems to be a book for everything else, so I was thinking maybe there was a speed-reading book...

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Is anyone else noticing that there are a lot more GALACTIC PUNTS in this game than in P4Vanilla?

I think I killed a miniboss or two with that thing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So i'm about 13 hours in, in the second dungeon or so. I am loving this game so far, but I am not seeing it as being "better" than Persona 3. There is something about P3, atmosphere or whatever, that is making me still prefer that one. I am continuing to love P4 more and more though, so that may change. I've heard lots of people talk about how much "improved" P4 is over P3, but am not seeing it. There is more "stuff" but nothing i'd outright call an improvement. Am I missing something?

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Speedball posted:

Serious question, is there a book to read that makes bookreading faster? There seems to be a book for everything else, so I was thinking maybe there was a speed-reading book...

There actually is. I think it becomes available in August, but it will let you read 2 chapters of a book at a time. This makes things a lot easier since you're not getting stat bonuses every time you're reading the books.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

How do you progress the Adachi social link? During the day the game tells me to talk to him at night, and at night he's busy too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

chaosapiant posted:

So i'm about 13 hours in, in the second dungeon or so. I am loving this game so far, but I am not seeing it as being "better" than Persona 3. There is something about P3, atmosphere or whatever, that is making me still prefer that one. I am continuing to love P4 more and more though, so that may change. I've heard lots of people talk about how much "improved" P4 is over P3, but am not seeing it. There is more "stuff" but nothing i'd outright call an improvement. Am I missing something?
Well, it's all subjective. Gameplay-wise, you can control your party members of course. Social Links are a top to bottom just better implemented. And of course in Golden, the fusion is the best it's ever been in a Persona game. However, what does it for a lot of people (myself included) are the characters and general theme of P4 over P3. I know I liked those exponentially more than P3's. I'm not sure how much of that would be apparent 13 hours in, though.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

How do you progress the Adachi social link? During the day the game tells me to talk to him at night, and at night he's busy too.

From what I can tell, you can't have someone in the TV for him to be available. Some of the ranks can only occur during the day, and some only occur at night. I'm not sure if anyone would consider it spoilers, but here are the ranks for those below:

Rank 1, 2, and 6 are during the day. Rank 3, 4, and 5 are during the evening. After rank 6, I haven't been able to get him to be available though..

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

OmegaZultan posted:

I can't confirm the Christmas thing but You get most of January and early February to keep doing social links.

Still end game spoilers: Yeah, I know. I was just trying to figure out whether I could power through Magatsu Inaba on the day it becomes available, or if I would have to put it off until December 22nd or whichever day you need to have it done to get the Christmas Eve content.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kagon posted:

From what I can tell, you can't have someone in the TV for him to be available. Some of the ranks can only occur during the day, and some only occur at night. I'm not sure if anyone would consider it spoilers, but here are the ranks for those below:

Rank 1, 2, and 6 are during the day. Rank 3, 4, and 5 are during the evening. After rank 6, I haven't been able to get him to be available though..

I read on Gamefaqs and it seems that the rest of his S. Link becomes available after certain story events. I don't know how true that is, but I've got Adachi at Level 6 and I'm close enough to those events to see how true it is.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from the Vita thread, but

http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/gam...QUiNUTO8ydoming

:siren:PERSONA 4 SOLID GOLD IS BACK IN STOCK ON GAMESTOP.COM:siren:

Edit:
Aaaand it's gone.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 27, 2012

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Oh god, I just discovered the HEE! HEE! HOO! Music King! I've been listening to Aria of the Soul for the last 15 minutes on loop! SOMEONE STOP ME!

Edit: Signs of Love is the worst earworm ever.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 27, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Time to fuse! I need someone with electric stuff, this guy looks good for it! Well let's hit the button!

:stare::what:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

Time to fuse! I need someone with electric stuff, this guy looks good for it! Well let's hit the button!

:stare::what:

... So was this a result of Igor botching a fusion or was this the guy you actually set out to make? Also, what is its name?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

W.T. Fits posted:

... So was this a result of Igor botching a fusion or was this the guy you actually set out to make? Also, what is its name?

Belphegor. I can't remember if he can be made from accidents or not, but.. yeah. Toilet.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kirbysuperstar posted:

Belphegor. I can't remember if he can be made from accidents or not, but.. yeah. Toilet.

Pretty sure that any demon you get through an accident can be fused normally as well.

Belphegor also was a Shuffle Time demon in one of the later dungeons in vanilla P4.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Belphegor is a SMT classic; he's been on the toilet since SMT2. He's a demon of sloth, and gives ideas for inventions that will make the summoner rich. It's probably based on his illustration in the Dictionnaire Infernal. He was on a wheeled chair, but pretty much everything else was the same. You can see it on Wikipedia.

So I guess when you have an idea on the can, it's supposed to be his fault.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

chaosapiant posted:

I've heard lots of people talk about how much "improved" P4 is over P3, but am not seeing it. There is more "stuff" but nothing i'd outright call an improvement. Am I missing something?

Well there's the fact that you can control your non-MC characters, which was the biggest improvement in the original. P4G brings in fast forward, restarting on the floor you died on, picking cards, Marie's skill cards and probably other stuff I can't remember since it's been a while. Mechanically it's an objectively better game.

In terms of atmosphere it's mixed. P4 slinks resolve with a happy ending and P3 slinks resolve with... characters who are slightly less sad. That depressed atmosphere may be what you're missing. That's why you finish P4 and immediately replay P3P.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm okay with a game being overall pretty darn happy in tone. Some days I just want to feel awesome about myself, and isn't that what being a teenage detective is all about?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd like it more if the group took solving the murders a bit more seriously and didn't get distracted to do a stupid loving concert, but overall the tone doesn't matter so long as the story compliments it well enough, to me anyways.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mailer posted:

Well there's the fact that you can control your non-MC characters, which was the biggest improvement in the original. P4G brings in fast forward, restarting on the floor you died on, picking cards, Marie's skill cards and probably other stuff I can't remember since it's been a while. Mechanically it's an objectively better game.

In terms of atmosphere it's mixed. P4 slinks resolve with a happy ending and P3 slinks resolve with... characters who are slightly less sad. That depressed atmosphere may be what you're missing. That's why you finish P4 and immediately replay P3P.

I keep playing P4, and I keep liking it more. Possibly more than 3. Not because of the mechanics though, as I don't see the ones in 3 being a deal breaker, but the characters themselves are really growing on me.

Now...how do I level expression?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
They treat the crazy alternate dimension inside televisions full of monsters pretty casually too, between victims they'll sometimes straight up ask you if you wanna grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I keep playing P4, and I keep liking it more. Possibly more than 3. Not because of the mechanics though, as I don't see the ones in 3 being a deal breaker, but the characters themselves are really growing on me.

Now...how do I level expression?

One easy way is to take the Translate English night job, you can do it from your room's table at night and you get paid for it. A book may amplify the expression boost. I think going to culture club also improves Expression the same way going to Sports improves dilligence.

• Locked thread