Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Zenith Nadir posted:

:woop: Spud's Quest made its goal, I can finally shut the gently caress up :woop:

Stoked about this, finally caved in and pledged the other day. Now hopefully Dizzy will pick up some momentum, I'm huge fan of the series despite only playing the NES/Genesis games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Just a reminder, Sui Generis only has about two days to get ~£35,000 in pledges.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

LumberingTroll posted:

Yeah, my appologies I missed that earlier conversation, just rubbed me the wrong way, he includes almost all of our gameplay features and the video he just put out on youtube even includes stars with the same aesthetic as we released a few weeks ago. I am doing my best to not be disgruntled about it.

It's obvious he is a graphics guy, his stuff is very nice looking, but he also has no gameplay mechanics, other than moving entities that "shoot" at each other with no mechanics behind them.
I'll add my voice to the chorus of people who are absolutely mystified as to why he's seeing such ridiculous success, especially in light of Kinetic Void which is basically the same thing except much more to show. Maybe there's some sort of Star Citizen coattail effect? Maybe his prettier asteroids bring all the cash to the yard? Maybe he looks like a much better bet than the Elite Kickstarter and people think he's the sensible option? I guess he has money to pursue his dream now :confuoot:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

prahanormal posted:

Just a reminder, Sui Generis only has about two days to get ~£35,000 in pledges.

They're going to make it. Good for them.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I'm hoping they do well, I'd like to see that engine be used in other things. Speaking of which, they've released another video, this time focusing on shields, fire, and blood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPZ5yuiWWeE

That combat looks like it could be so cool. I hope they're able to fine tune it in this and other projects.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I was rooting for them right up until that writing update. I hope they fire that awful hack they found and hire someone who's written things other then NWN quest dialogue. Or at least seek the editorial opinion of someone who's read a book that doesn't have a big-breasted lady barbarian in a metal bikini on the cover.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
According to https://twitter.com/talesofgames the Barkley kickstarter is imminent.

Hold.on.to.your.tookis.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Telepath Tactics kickstarter has just launched and it looks good. I particularly like the bit about environment manipulation.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426761469/telepath-tactics

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

CrookedB posted:

Telepath Tactics kickstarter has just launched and it looks good. I particularly like the bit about environment manipulation.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426761469/telepath-tactics

It looks like a lovely flash game you'd find right at home in Newgrounds. What exactly is interesting about it?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I really people would just stop saying "flash game" as a replacement for "game I don't like the look of or think is too simple," especially with regards to Kickstarter. It doesn't really mean anything.

edit:vvvvv looks like a flash game

Al! fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 28, 2012

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Milovan Drecun posted:

According to https://twitter.com/talesofgames the Barkley kickstarter is imminent.

Hold.on.to.your.tookis.

We're launching at 2 PM EST!!! I am juiced to the limit. . .

If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to check out the RPG Codex interview we did last week with CrookedB, who coincidentally just posted above me!!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Al! posted:

I really people would just stop saying "flash game" as a replacement for "game I don't like the look of or think is too simple," especially with regards to Kickstarter. It doesn't really mean anything.

edit:vvvvv looks like a flash game

almost every single AAA game on the market has a bit of flash in it, scaleform.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Chef Boyardee posted:

If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to check out the RPG Codex interview we did last week with CrookedB, who coincidentally just posted above me!!

I've had my credit card sitting next to me since I saw the tweet. I AM READY

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Oh you idiots know what I mean, don't go all semantic on me. Sure, I've played several very long, very good games using Flash as a platform. It's obvious I don't mean those.

Just like when I say "babby's first lovely PHP website" - I have done amazing enterprise level work with PHP, it's obvious I don't mean that.

BEEP BOOP I am a perfect precise goon machine that always uses language with 100% accuracy.

Edit: It looks like a REALLY lovely game regardless of platform, are you happy now?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Rock Paper Shotgun put out a pretty good article this morning detailing the status of various successful Kickstarter games, especially paying attention to the release dates they gave. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/28/the-kickstarter-successes-where-are-they-now/#more-133320

The article unfortunately has the stupid premise that updates should not be for backers only, which especially doesn't make sense with the DF one, given that the reward of the documentary is posted there. However, I knew giving to that shady-rear end LSL or Jane Jensen or Tex Murphy or Not Space Quest or Broken Sword Kickstarters would've been a bad idea, had I done it. Also I feel bad for the Xenonauts guys now that a really good XCOM game has come out.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

Also I feel bad for the Xenonauts guys now that a really good XCOM game has come out.

I don't really feel bad for Xenonauts. I now usually play both the new X-COM and the old, too. They're different games, they have different styles and atmospheres. I must admit the new games are a lot more accessible, and less painful to play, but still.

I think Xenonauts will fill a niche, I'll probably play it alongside the new X-COM if it offers a faithful remake of the old X-COMs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Al! posted:

The article unfortunately has the stupid premise

And somehow I'm not really surprised that the author of said article is John Walker. Reading it, though, I was kind of surprised and horrified at how many dollars I have spent on Kickstarter games. Games that I don't even have and probably won't for at least a year. drat you, nostalgia...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That is a pretty stupid premise, given that you can cancel your pledge up to... what, the last twenty hours of the drive? Put down a buck, and if you realize that things aren't going well, pull out. The people running the project will know (one sent me a message after I withdrew from a project), but eh.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I think the main pull behind his criticism is that a lot of these games should be using Kickstarter updates for free PR leading up to release. I can see where he's coming from, but yeah it really doesn't make sense for the Double Fine KS considering the main draw of buying into that thing was access into the dev process and even now they have a "slacker backer" system set up so you can get in if you really want to.

So yeah that criticism was a little gimmicky, but in the big picture I'm VERY GLAD that someone is doing this. It's good to have a popular journo keeping tabs on some of these things that seem destined to fade into obscurity with everyone's money.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I don't see why updates should be for backers only, after all they are just a form of pr. You don't go hiding a trailer behind a paywall either, especially not one open only until a certain time. The DF documentary maybe, but that is on a somewhat different level of costs for the producers then some text and a few pictures/a bit of video.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Pochoclo posted:

Oh you idiots know what I mean, don't go all semantic on me. Sure, I've played several very long, very good games using Flash as a platform. It's obvious I don't mean those.

Just like when I say "babby's first lovely PHP website" - I have done amazing enterprise level work with PHP, it's obvious I don't mean that.

BEEP BOOP I am a perfect precise goon machine that always uses language with 100% accuracy.

Edit: It looks like a REALLY lovely game regardless of platform, are you happy now?

Calm down dude. I don't like the looks of the game either, but getting all worked up about it isn't worth it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Not surprisingly, the Kinect on PC game Kung-fu Superstar is failing to even remotely meet its modest goals. Eurogamer held an interview with the guy behind the project and there's some good lessons to be learned from this, between not explaining properly that the game could be played with a gamepad as well as the Kinect, or using the UK version of Kickstarter which has some oddities compared with its American counterpart, or how nobody is into motion controls anymore after all the sholveware brought about with the Wii's long life.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
The Last Door looks solid, and has a very modest goal. Low fi pixel art horror adventure game.

The downside is that it's being billed as a F2P game in a browser. So I'm not clear why I'd want to pitch in for it. I assume he means something like Ghost Trick, where the first episode is free and the rest are pay-for, but you don't sell that as F2P, you call that a demo. (and it's too late for him to fix public impression anyways, if that's the case)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Utritum posted:

The failure of the Interstellar Marines project is very much inevitable at this point:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zeropointsoftware/interstellar-marines-prologue

I find it a bit sad because the team seems to have some pretty interesting ideas about immersion (well, that and because :denmark:)

Anyone have any ideas why this one might have failed? I've got friends with running Kickstarters, and friends soon to be launching Kickstarters (I'm in no position to launch one of my own for a long time), so we're also trying to look for patterns in Kickstarter success / failures to figure out the right buttons to push. I was keeping an eye on this one because it didn't follow the usual pattern of a lot of recent large successes, and I was curious where it would end up. Here was my reading on it:

Pros:
-Edited, produced video, higher quality than most. I could have gone without the fake audience noises, but other than that it seemed OK.
-Strong visual demo of gameplay. What they had to show looked flashy.

Not sure if pro or con:
-Lots of buzzwords. "AAA Indie" especially seems contradictory and like it's trying too hard, but sometimes people latch on to these.
-Gameplay genre. People might not be starving for a Deus Ex style first person shooter right now, but on the other hand some genres keep selling, even when they seem over saturated.
-Story genre. Same as the previous, we aren't hurting for science fiction games with the player as a space marine type character, especially with Halo 4's recent release, but some stuff keeps selling, such as zombie games.

Cons:
-Timing. It's the holiday season, and lots of big budget, highly produced titles are being released. Maybe that's a bad time to run a Kickstarter, people aren't hungry for something right now. Would this have done better if it was running in June or March?
-Long development history. It looks like these guys announced this project in 2005. There might not be a lot of confidence that a pledge to this project is not just dropping money down a hole.
-High asking price. They did get over $150,000 in pledges, and I know $600,000 can go really fast, cash burn rate can be pretty high for a lot of companies. For many games, $150,000 would be a fantastic success on Kickstarter.
-No easy nostalgia pull. Kickstarters that lean heavily on having a developer on the team that worked on a popular game in the '80s or '90s seem to be especially successful, it's an easy way to pull in way more for your Kickstarter. These guys didn't have that going for them.
-Kickstarter competition. There's been a couple higher budget Kickstarter games running along side this, maybe those other games just had better pitches, and got a bigger share of what was available?

Normally I don't type long posts, but I find Kickstarter really fascinating, and this is an interesting failure that I'm sure a lot of people preparing mid-tier level Kickstarters will take note of.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

According to the developers themselves they've been making the game since 2004. Then they went bankrupt and if the comments are to be believed only produced some screen shots of mock ups. They even went through an engine change and we all know how well that usually turns out.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I'll be honest with you - and I'm not the most rational of Kickstarters but then again, who is? - it's almost entirely the name that turns me off towards Interstellar Marines: Prologue. First of all the uncreativity of the name sounds like some generic knockoff to me. Second, I generally don't want to play any game that's a "prologue." Frankly, I don't want to play anything that's a chapter one or the first part in an epic multi-part series (unless it's a Telltale game because they manage to always stick to their "seasons"), because they tend to be unsatisfying and introduce a bunch of poo poo and drop it immediately because they can always come back to it later.

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

Boiled Water posted:

According to the developers themselves they've been making the game since 2004. Then they went bankrupt and if the comments are to be believed only produced some screen shots of mock ups. They even went through an engine change and we all know how well that usually turns out.

Engine changing: what you do when you have just enough funding to procrastinate with gusto.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Chainclaw posted:

Anyone have any ideas why [Intersellar Marines] might have failed?

Absurd funding goal for a no-name duo of developers. They got $157,906 out of $600,000 and if their goal had been $150k they would now have enough funds to finish their game by now.

I pointed this to one of them days ago via Steam Greenlight and that they should reconsider very seriously to relaunch the Kickstarter with a lower goal. His reply: "we are going to hope to no end, we have Faith".

Today they sent this email to their backers (me included):

quote:

We could spend the next half year shaping a perfect Kickstarter campaign based on our learnings, but we're convinced that this war is best won from the inside out. Therefore we’ve decided to head back into the trenches, to do what we do best: create games!

In the coming months we'll focus only on developing the features that makes Interstellar Marines both unique and interesting (...) Furthermore, to increase the momentum of the development we’ve decided to dial down our AAA content ambitions for the time being (...) Faced with this reality we've decided to move out of our current office and thus work from our individual homes, in an effort to cut our expenses to an absolute minimum.

So, basically, "game is still going to happen and we never really needed all that money. We could have done with less, and instead of trying again, we'll continue to make bad decisions based on our naivety."

All of this irks me the wrong way. With this line of thinking I don't think they deserve success. At all.

The lesson to learn here for Kickstarter projects in a similar position: be realistic. You are not Tim Schafer. You are a nobody. Show what you got and set for a realistic goal, and you'll be fine.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 28, 2012

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I am a horribly judgmental person, so I am perfectly aware of stones and glass houses et cetera.

It was a LOT of money for some no-name devs.

The idea of a smalltime dev planning a trilogy seems rather presumptuous, too, especially if the devs have been working on it since 2005. It's rather a big production plan for a group of people. I have doubts. However, I did donate initially because their video was so well done; I thought it was good work.

Also, for me, since I donated and then revoked my pledge a week into it, I really thought it was not as thought out presentation-wise as it could have been. The release of information was really poorly done. They launched and then said "okay guys, in a week or so we hope to have some really good interviews lined up," and then...nothing. I believe you should start your kickstarter a ways in to your project, not be start of it - especially since the Interstellar Marines devs have had MANY instances of press over time. If it were a less known game or group, I would have been more forgiving, I suppose.

They also didn't update their main Kickstarter page. They tried to use their separate website page to disseminate information, and the comments section of Kickstarter (who the gently caress reads all those comments for dev updates?), and so the singular positive about having a kickstarter page was lost (the focal point of all available information about the project).

I'll try to think of other reasons when I have more time, but I gotsta go do stuff now. :tbear:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Shalinor posted:

The Last Door looks solid, and has a very modest goal. Low fi pixel art horror adventure game.

The downside is that it's being billed as a F2P game in a browser. So I'm not clear why I'd want to pitch in for it. I assume he means something like Ghost Trick, where the first episode is free and the rest are pay-for, but you don't sell that as F2P, you call that a demo. (and it's too late for him to fix public impression anyways, if that's the case)

It says how it works right in the kickstarter page.

quote:

New chapters are always first released for premium members, when new chapters are released previous ones become available to free registered users.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Bieeardo posted:

That is a pretty stupid premise, given that you can cancel your pledge up to... what, the last twenty hours of the drive? Put down a buck, and if you realize that things aren't going well, pull out. The people running the project will know (one sent me a message after I withdrew from a project), but eh.

You can cancel your pledge up to the last second of a drive. I know someone who actually pulled their OUYA pledge a few minutes after the drive had finished; apparently the servers were messed up enough by the end of that drive that it didn't immediately stop people from modifying pledges. The only time you can't pull your pledge is when it is both the last 24 hours of the drive and pulling your pledge would bring the total from above the goal to below the goal. As long as you won't turn a sucessful project into a failure on the last day, you can do whatever you want with your pledge.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chef Boyardee posted:

It's 2:30 EST now. :colbert:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Dreylad posted:

It's 2:30 EST now. :colbert:

The high concentrations of energy left behind by a Chaos Dunk can affect the very fabric of space and time.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
Goddamnit I want to donate to the Barkley kickstarter right now!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's up! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam

Durp
Jan 6, 2008
I think I get it now.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam

Welcome back to the cyberpocalypse.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I wanted to give them more money than $10, but unfortunately none of the bonuses above $10 interested me. Oh well.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

This should breeze by 35k.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Yesssssssss. I have been looking forward to this vidcon ever since I heard it was being Kickstarted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Finally, some reward tiers that make sense.