Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Kickstarter link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam
Tales of Game's link: www.talesofgames.com
Barkley 1 Mac port link: http://www.talesofgames.com/related_game/barkley-shut-up-jam-gaiden/

Mystical greetings fellow Goons and She-Goons,

I am Eric "cboyardee" Shumaker, one of the lead idiots behind Tales of Game's Studios, an independent vidcon developer whose members have worked on games like Station 37, Sewer Goblet, the winner of the 2011 SA Gamedev contest Mountain of Debt (hi svampson) and of course, the 2008 edutainment tour de force Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden. We are really excited to announce that we are working on a sequel to Barkley Gaiden called The Magical Realm of Tir na Nog - Escape From Necron 7: Revenge of Cuchulainn - The Official Game of the Movie: Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa and we've just launched a Kickstarter for it. We want to make this game something that's not only funnier, but more fun than the original. But what IS Barkley 2? Take my hand and come with me on an edutaining journey...

Barkley 2 is the direct sequel to Barkley 1 and picks up where the original story left off. It tells the tale of X114JAM9, an amnesiac baller searching for his identity amidst the Post-Cyberpocalyptic ruins of Necron 7, the ancient space ziggurat ruled by the Malevolent A.I. Cuchulainn, sworn enemy to all ballers. Forced into fugitivity, X114JAM9 sets off in search of the Cyberdwarf, an enigmatic slam scholar and the only one capable of revealing the truth behind his mysterious past and brilliant b-ball destiny.

We want to do a lot more than just make a funny game with Barkley 2 - we want it to be fun as well. Barkley 2 maintains the same humor, tone and fierce devotion to canon of the first game but gives the player greater choice in the story. It is a non-linear, open ended game that focuses on exploration, discovering secrets and getting lost in the crazy Post-Cyberpocalyptic world. It combines a lot of the ideas of Eastern RPGS, like focus on narrative and characters, with Western RPGs, like making choices within the story, long-term consequences and non-linearity. We want to do a lot of new things with this game and it's pretty safe to say that it's very experimental. Here are just a few things the game features -

Things Change Over Time - People, places and quests change over time; the things you experience might be completely different from what your friends experience because you did them at different times. The official Big Idea behind Barkley 2 is that everyone will have a different game - things changing over time is the backbone of this idea.

Large, Open World - The Necron 7 is a large, open environment with dozens of areas to explore. There are things to find in every corner and secrets everywhere - this is a game all about exploration.

Fast-paced Action RPG Combat - Barkley 2 has mouse-aimed shooting gameplay that takes inspiration from action games like Crimsonland and Soldat, but also RPGs like Dark Souls and Gothic. Stats, classes and an incredibly deep character creation system give you complete control over your character; we want to make Barkley 2 a game that is not only funny, but fun to play.

Randomized Gun's System - Gun's are randomized through a complex system similar to Diablo's or Borderland's, offering millions of possibilities. Shotgun's that shoot ooze, machine gun rocket launchers and gravity rifles are just the tip of the iceberg of our gun's system. Even more than this, you can fuse gun's together in a system similar to demon fusing from the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series. The weapon combinations are nearly unlimited.

DwarfNET - Connect with fellow dwarfs and dwarf enthusiasts on the in-game DwarfNET message board. Jack your cranial USB into the data matrix and search for clues or chat with tech-savvy dwarfs about vidcons, layups and the latest jock news through the amazing power of bio-cybernetic technology.

Lastly, I cannot emphasize enough Tales of Game's commitment to edutainment. Part of the reason it's taken us so long to announce Barkley 2 is that we've been busy honing our edutainment abilities - we would not be able to make the game we are making now four years ago. Our goal is for Tales of Game's to become the pillar of the edutainment industry and dethrone MECC (creator of Oregon Trail (which Barkley 2 utterly destroys)) as the king of edutainment. If you walk away from Barkley 2 without having been edutained, we will have failed in our role as edutainers.

We are also super excited to announce that for the first time ever, Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is playable on the Mac. The Mac port was made by Leon Arnott and he did an amazing job with it. Barkley 1 is completely free and will always be free so please check it out if you haven't played it.

All spoofs, goofs and gaffs aside, it really means a lot to us that you read all this malarkey. Thank you all for having faith in Tales of Game's. I really think we have something remarkable on our hands and I'm glad you want to share it with us, so thank you. We're offering some really good (also some extremely bad) rewards for anyone who is able to contribute. My personal favorite reward is the $100 Cyberdwarf Body Pillow, although I'm also really excited to man the $150 Tales of Game's Tip Line when the game is out too. Take a look at the rewards section on our Kickstarter for more info!

Seriously, thank you all for helping to make this game happen. We've been wanting to make it for years - since before the original Barkley even came out - and the fact that we finally have the means to do this is amazing. I know this has been said a million times on a million different Kickstarters before, but we would not be able to make this without you, so thank you!!!!!!!!!! I know quite a few of us are Proud, Patriotic Goon's and we're all happy to answer any questions you may have!!

Screenshots

FAQ -

How are you guys selling this game if it breaks so many copyrights?
We are being incredibly careful about copyrights - we've talked to lawyers and have been given the okay. Everything we're doing is completely legal; we're not using ripped art and assets this time around and you'll notice we've been very careful about throwing around Charles Barkley's name!!

What engine is Barkley 2 being made in?
Barkley 2 is being made in Game Maker, the same engine the original was made in. We have been discussing the possibility of importing saves from the original Barkley, which would be possible in GM. . .

When will the game be released?
The current estimate is late 2013 or early 2014. We've done a lot of good work so far but we've got a long way to go!

Why is Barkley 2 a commercial game when the original was free?
We made the original Barkley when we were (wise and powerful) youngsters with few responsibilities or expenses. Unfortunately, we have been thrust into the cruel world of adults, where we have expenses, bills, school payments and other stupid BS the man does to keep us down. Ideally, Barkley 2 would be a free game just like the original, but unfortunately we just can't do that. That's a big part of the reason why it's taken us so long to work on this, because we just did not have the capital means to make it!

Why are you making Barkley 2 an Action RPG instead of a turn-based JRPG?
There are a lot of reasons! First is that this is the game we want to make and it's been our intention to make Barkley 2 an action RPG since before the original Barkley was even out. We have a lot of really great ideas to make this a game that is as fun as it is funny, which wasn't really the case with the original. Lastly, turn-based RPGs where you only control one character generally aren't very fun!

Is this a game for TREND, CORPORATE ATTITUDE and STONER?
No, this is not for TREND. Not for CORPORATE ATTITUDE. Not for STONER. Only TRUE DOOM-MURDERHEADS.

will there be joke's ?
NO.

Chef Boyardee fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The sky, it's full of dwarves.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The first game was one of the best RPGs of that year.

Totally Donating to this when I get some money.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

You had me at Duergar.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I don't know if a game with a poo poo thread tag can be good mate.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I am, completely seriously, looking forward to this game more than any other on the planet right now. Slam with the best or jam with the rest.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Oh goodness. Thank you, Tale's of Games. Thank you so hard.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Davincie posted:

I don't know if a game with a poo poo thread tag can be good mate.

Yeah, I didn't mean to post it with the poo poo thread tag, it was an accident!

ngreasy
Aug 1, 2007
laksjdfkljle
I will contribute ASAP. Will we get more historical vidcon rants?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Oh my god, Christmas came early this year :aaa:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Finally, I can find out what happens in chapter 2 of the beloved Hoops Barkley Saga.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Chef Boyardee posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean to post it with the poo poo thread tag, it was an accident!

By pairing it with a game of this level you have made the poo poo thread tag a good thing and upset the balance of the universe!

Juche Fucktodd
Nov 2, 2012

to change the forums
Donation will be coming as soon as possible.

Juche Fucktodd fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 28, 2012

Durp
Jan 6, 2008
I think I get it now.
Game of the year 2013 right here.

e: calling it now, X114JAM9 is Hoopz

Durp fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 28, 2012

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
I'm going to donate to a kickstarter for the first time ever, Chef. Glad to see someone from the old GW is still doin' it.

If only Legion could be here... to see... this...

R.I.P. killed by a deadman's semen

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Finally a game with more than four gender options and the ability to have multiple selections.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
In case you fellas don't think this is a project is worth donating a neo-shekel to, consider the following email I sent with the subject "TMRoTnn:EfN7-RoC:TOGofM-C2ofHBSG" the day this was announced saying

quote:

I have been dreaming of this day. If I had a house to mortgage, I'd do it so I could pledge a billion neo-shekels to the kickstarter. I love you guys. Life is now worth living again.

As I always say to my professional contacts: Slam with the best or jam with the rest,
my name

I didn't expect a reply but a few days later I got one

quote:

Mystical greetings,

Thank you for the encouragement! We are very, very excited about this game and are blown away by the reaction it's getting. We're a little disappointed that you don't have a house to mortgage, but we've talked about it and come up with a list of things you could do to come up with money:

1. Sell an organ - Selling organs is a fun and safe way to get money quick. Google "organ selling" or consult your nearest organ harvester for more information. Tip: sell an organ you have multiples of.

2. Organized crime - Gangs and the mafia are always looking for more recruits and pay great! This is an ideal career path if you love crime.

3. Grandma - Grandma loves you and just wants the best for you. Make up a story about your car breaking down, which prevents you from getting to work, and ask her for money. If she says no, call again, tell her you're with the IRS and demand her social security number.

4. Become a rock star - I'm not sure how to do this, but if you become a rock star you could probably make millions.

These are just a few fun and creative ways to make money to give to us. I'm sure you can come up with a few on your own too. Just give it a try!

Seriously, thanks for your interest in the game. It makes us really happy to hear how excited people are for this game.

Thank you,
The ToG Rat

These guys own. Give them all your monies. We can't save them from the cyberpocalypse, but perhaps we can save ourselves if we pledge enough.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Finally a game with more than four gender options and the ability to have multiple selections.

Honestly this was the best part of that video for me. I was already sold before they announced it though, so I threw down some cash on what is sure to be the next game of the year.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
This might be the first kickstarter I donate to, holy crap. You should get that guy from deep purple to do the theme song.

Edit: Did you seriously reference Uniracers in there? I didn't even know anyone except me played that game. It's was Tony Hawk on the SNES.

The Mimic fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 28, 2012

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden was a genuinely awesome game and I am backing the hell out of this.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Video games are cool because stuff like this exists. I'm supporting this project with cyber dollars.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Few questions: have you considered releasing a cheaper digital download tier for the artbook? Will the $40 tier also include the old Troubadours songs like Pluto Nash and GOPE? Will Wikipe-tan be a romance option?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Gotta say that $1000 backer reward might be the best backer reward I have ever seen on a videogame Kickstarter. It's the first time I'd actually have given $1000 to a KS, in a hypothetical world where I was fabulously wealthy.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
You are now an official backer of Barkley 2 - an RPG Sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden. Time to tell the world about it!

well okay

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
While I am basically at hobo level of cash currently, I am still extremely tempted to donate 100$ to get the Cyberdwarf bodypillow because I'm sugoi uguu~ for tsunderes.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Holy poo poo where's my credit card. I am getting in on this Kickstarter right the gently caress now.

Puistokemisti posted:

While I am basically at hobo level of cash currently, I am still extremely tempted to donate 100$ to get the Cyberdwarf bodypillow because I'm sugoi uguu~ for tsunderes.

I'm horribly tempted by that as well. I'm not going to do it, but the temptation is there. That's possibly the most ingeniously terrible incentive I have ever seen.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 23, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kickstarter keeps throwing an error when I try to give money :(

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm kind of confused as to why you didn't put the FAQ in the OP into the kickstarter.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
And holy crap we're almost to 6K already, day 1, hour 1. Wow.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I was waiting all day to be the first to donate and comment on this kickstarter. I only wish I could have made it $100.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Unguided posted:

Few questions: have you considered releasing a cheaper digital download tier for the artbook?

This is one thing that stood out for me as well in the reward tiers. Contributed $60 nonetheless.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I was going to up my pledge to $100 but it seems Barkley broke Kickstarter's payment server.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Unguided posted:

I was going to up my pledge to $100 but it seems Barkley broke Kickstarter's payment server.

It's working now. Go hog wild.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.
Pledged $60, semper vidcons!

Also holy poo poo almost over $7k already, you guys better think up some really cool stretch goals (DVORAK support etc)!

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Is there any way to download the kickstarter video?

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

GirlBones posted:

I'm going to donate to a kickstarter for the first time ever, Chef. Glad to see someone from the old GW is still doin' it.

If only Legion could be here... to see... this...

R.I.P. killed by a deadman's semen

Holy poo poo. What a blast from the past. . .

There was this guy named Brickroad, one of those hyper serious RPG Maker dudes like Legion, who said a really great quote about Barkley 1 once. It is one of my all-time favorite quotes -

"This game makes me almost unimaginably angry and sad, but not at all for reasons related to the game itself (which I have not, and will never play)."

Brickroad, I hope wherever you are, you have cheered up a little.

Unguided posted:

Few questions: have you considered releasing a cheaper digital download tier for the artbook? Will the $40 tier also include the old Troubadours songs like Pluto Nash and GOPE? Will Wikipe-tan be a romance option?

It will include a lot of stuff that was not actually in games, like that Rugrat song I did that was taken down by Youtube and the Dilbert song, as well as maybe some stuff that didn't make it into games. I haven't counted it, but it's well over 100 songs. That said, they're all poo poo.

Cicero posted:

I'm kind of confused as to why you didn't put the FAQ in the OP into the kickstarter.

Kickstarter has a really weird interface and someone actually HAS TO ASK YOU THOSE QUESTIONS before you can put them there.

I am just completely overwhelmed guys, I cannot believe how quickly this is going. I don't want to speak too soon, this has been a tremendous start, but I honestly thought we would be struggling the whole way and that we'd end on day 1 with $1000 or something. I just can't believe this. Thank you all. This game will be really weird and crazy and funny and who knows what else, but it's finally going to exist and I really have to thank all of you for this!!!

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Puistokemisti posted:

You may want to re-read that $100 tier text carefully: "At the $100 level, in addition to all the previous rewards, you get a custom, full-sized Cyberdwarf body pillow to spend your lonely nights with. Though his knotted b-ball skin is rough, his touch is tender and his luscious applebottom is shapely domed. The Cyberdwarf body pillow ships with pillow case only, pillow not provided."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Heti posted:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/385835/video-186846-h264_high.mp4

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Heti posted:

I'm not sure, but the video kind of messed up while processing so we actually have to reupload it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Catastrophe posted:

You may want to re-read that $100 tier text carefully: "At the $100 level, in addition to all the previous rewards, you get a custom, full-sized Cyberdwarf body pillow to spend your lonely nights with. Though his knotted b-ball skin is rough, his touch is tender and his luscious applebottom is shapely domed. The Cyberdwarf body pillow ships with pillow case only, pillow not provided."

I interpreted that to mean that it's a pillow case with like an iron-on transfer of Cyberdwarf or something, but if it's actually just a pillow case then that's even funnier.