Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
DeGowin - Godsheap

DeGowin attempted to savor his kill, and some measure of revenge. The giant had likely scared off those who took his kill, but that abominable singing! No doubt the creature had picked up the tune from those thieves. Degowin tried to inspect the- his mind searched for a word- mist or vapor coming from the corpse, but the song continued! Degowin thrashed the corpse, but that had no effect. He tore out its throat with his own teeth, tasting its blood but not stopping the sound. He ran about the cave in search of the source, unable to pin it down. It seemed an unnatural echo, and he tried to down it out with screams of his own, lashing out with the power within him. Frost began to form on the cave walls as the screams continued for a moment.

Out of breath, he regarded the taste of blood in his mouth. It felt...good. There was something else to this, there was power. This creature held some sort of magic to it... Degowin bit in again, beginning to gorge himself on meat and its power.

Lashing out with +2 Cold(Divine), OOC my aim is making this an Ice Cave as much as is possible. Maybe freeze the song if it is a magical contest. Elemental Ice all up in here. Not sure if my musical drawback applies here, as I'm actually having a freakout over it.

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Civar (with Andra) (Arandia, Coltain)

As the rag-tag militia traveled Civar kept up a steady stream of stories and anecdotes. From time to time he'd stoop down to pull up some herbs or a wild vegetable and then he'd spin a tale around it. Some humorous, like the Rabbit and the Shrew, but most of his stories were about brave men driving out a witch.

When they camped he'd carefully clean the various things he'd collected and then mix them in a big pot along with the day's catch to serve up to men.

Boosting the militia's morale with good food and stories, mortal action (+8 total)
M Alchemist +4 - Cooking. Verb. The magical act of converting raw foodstuffs into something delicious.
M Stage Magician +2 - drat good storyteller
M Tinker +4 - Used to cooking on the road
M Poor -2 - Mostly just cooking the things he finds

If we don't stop for a meal before reaching the witch it's just Stage Magician +2

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Arashan - Indigo Oasis, Ko Desert (Elysian Sands)

Nothing is truly hidden in the Ko. It only becomes lost in the trackless waste and the endless sweeping dunes, ever changing in this windswept, blasted land that the Wandering People call home. It sweeps away all trails and draws a final shroud over the bones of all who seek to traverse it. Only the Walemundi know the scant signs by which the oases can be found, a secret jealously guarded, and envied by outsiders and brothers alike, for knowledge of the oases is life in the thirsty desert, one which is not shared lightly, even with fellow Wanderers.

The smell of indigo flowers fills the air long before Arashan and his circle crest the final dune and feel a burden lifted off their shoulders. Each oasis, they know, is sacred, an upswell of the benedictions of their ancestors, and the only places in this, the land of their penance, where they may find respite. They are greeted by the cultivators and dyemakers as they pass, mostly members of the Circle too old or ill to handle the constant wandering, along with a few to guard the oasis and attend to the elders. It is a position of great responsibility, as they must ensure to the livelihood of their sons and daughters.

Arashan dismounts his camel and takes off his sandals, handing them off to an attendant of the oasis. His Left Hand Men do the same, his Right Hand, Tomal, taking his cloak and folding it neatly, setting it down at the edge of the sanctum. It would be wrong to carry such a cursed thing into a place so holy. They tread the last few sandy feet barefoot into the water and wade their way to the shrine. Arashan kneels on the green of the little island, before the elegant shrine, and lays down icons of his wife and son, setting a spring of indigo into the altar, an ancient wood panel carved by their ancestors and set into a rocky spar at the center of the oasis. He speaks a brief prayer for them, and dutifully utters words for his parents and his ancestors, asking for any aid they can offer him and his Circle in the coming months. "Every day, I wish..." he whispers to himself, before rising, unfinished.

Their feet have barely touched the boundary of the sanctum when Arashan turns to Tomal and asks him, "Do you believe I am being...punished?" His Right Hand pauses, leaving his Amaghar's cloak draped over his own arm, and waves the other lieutenants away. They depart quietly to attend to other duties. "My Amaghar, the sages say that our life is one of penance. We are born to sin and if our souls are to pass through the sands to the Last Green, we must suffer a measure of grief. Of...punishment."

Arashan's dark eyes stare out into the desert, his tagelmust hanging in strips about his shoulders, hair blowing in the gentle breeze of the oasis. "So you believe what they say. This, all this, is just punishment for my ambition. So many dead. I wonder if they weigh the dead against they use to punish you just the same as those you killed with your own hands. If so, we are a bloody-handed people, Tomal."

Tomal frowns, the creasing his wrinkled face weathered by the years of harsh living. "Your father told me once, after your mother passed, that the burdens set upon our shoulders are no more than we can bear. The sages may tell us it is a mountain, meant to grind us into the dust, grower ever heavier with our sins, but so long as there is life and so long as the Wandering People continue to draw breath, we cannot believe that the tasks set before us our insurmountable. Arashan, your father would not have wanted you to suffer so. His dreams for you, for all our people--"

"I know, Tomal, my friend." He smiles, setting a hand on the shoulder of his mentor and most trusted man. "He was a man of such grand dreams, wasn't he?" Arashan covers himself and sets aright his robes as they head towards the tents.

"That he was, my boy, that he was." Tomal glances back at the oasis a moment. "Where shall the Great Circle's path find us next, my Amaghar?"

"To Elysia. To Elysia. I feel as our backs are to the wind, Tomal, and before us is the Great Oasis. We have no choice but to step forward and accept our fate."

Heading to Elysia, the central Oasis. Arashan will be keeping his ears open at each stop along the way and asking around when gets there about the current state of the various Circles of the Wandering People, get a feel for the intertribal political atmosphere. It's all geared towards his ultimate goal of uniting the peoples of the desert. Using Ko Wanderer +4 and Negotiator +2.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Taeless, Town in the North West

The fight was fairly one-sided. Or rather, completely one sided. The bully of a guard found he could not manage to really do much to Kovar, who was able to predict his every move. Eventually after a number of bruises and becoming thoroughly winded he concedes.

"Alright...stranger...I yield." He pants and his companion looks disgusted. "Algard you fat pig now I'm stuck with your debt as well. And you both know we can little afford to match the worth of that trinket." He said making a sour face and considering the situation.

Kovar gives an easy smile, radiating the powerful charisma that he had always possessed an invaluable tool for any general. "Now now, there's no need to be too hard on him. This dagger," he hefts the dagger showing it off to the guards, "was once a symbol of rank. I was once a general, you know, before the caprice of kings and princes took it all away. Consider this a lesson to not underestimate your opponent due to appearance." He pulls the dagger back into the folds of his too worn traveling clothes. Anyhow, there may be another way you can pay your debt. I was serious when I offered to solve the strangeness that has affected this village." He looks the two straight in the eyes and gives them a look that only a man who has lead others into combat can give, If you agree to work for me, become my soldiers, at least until these matters are resolved, I will forgive your debts and give you two half of whatever the reward may be."

He stands tall now, assuming the demeanor of a general for the first time since his exile, eyes carefully appraising all before him and fitting it into some grand strategy. Resuming the mantle was like a breath of fresh air for Kovar, breathing a new life into him. Even in his ragged robes, no man could mistake him for anything but a leader of men now. "So what say you, will you take up my offer, serve as my subordinates for a time, wash away your debts and make some gold in the process?"

Trying to convince the guards to become Kovar's subordinates in lieu of having to pay him the money they own him. He's also promising them half the reward money. Turning on the charm and the generalness to get them to agree, in hopes that by the end of this little mystery they'll be willing to sign on permanently.

Powerful Charisma[+4] - To turn on the charm and get them to agree to Kovar's plan. Maybe even lay the seeds of loyalty within them.

Experienced General[+4] - Being a leader of men is something that comes from experience. Knowing just how to stand, what tone to use, what words to pick to inspire loyalty and confidence, these are all things Kovar has done time and again over his career as a general.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo - (Eosia, Mudhal)

Mudhal is the largest place Edo has ever been. It practically teems with people, and to Edo's newly awakened eyes, it almost shines with life, some of which calls out to be fixed. And to think it's just a shadow of Eosis!

He wanders through the city streets in a daze, not even noticing a pickpocketing until well after it happened. Not that it mattered; he didn't have much money, and to a fisherman a meal is just the river away. So it was on the banks of the Elos that he found himself that evening, watching the barges while he threw out his net for dinner.

It seemed to Edo that the barges offered a great opportunity. Not only were they almost as fast as the road, but he'd be able to travel with new friends and practice his new gift on the way.

So the next morning he presented himself at the small customs office in Mudhal's harbour and started haggling for a berth as a sailor on the barges.

In his favour was his obvious strength, his easygoing nature and his skill as a fisherman. But working against him was his stubbornness and inexperience with bargaining wages.

In the end, he signed up with a friendly seeming and low-caste bargemaster called Eodi and got to work. It'd take time to get to Eosis, but at least he was now on his way. And if he managed to heal a few people along the way and get more accustomed to his abilities, all the better.

Taking a barge upriver to the capital. I don't know if you want to do anything with the bargemaster; my basic intent here is that Edo'll work by day, and spend nights when they're in town going around healing people. He'll also ask any local wise men if they've ever come across anyone like him.

Traits:

Divine Healing +2: establish the limits of his powers through practical application (no other relevant qualities)
Mortal qualities +2 (Charming): speak with wise men along the way to see if anyone knows anything about his condition or others like Edo.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - His Secret Lair, Taelos

Octagon makes his way back to his 'lair', so to speak. An abandoned 2-story water-front building, the stairs to the second floor had been destroyed in some accident or another. But this didn't bother Octagon in the slightest, who always used the rooftop entrance. Once there, he paced in annoyance, considering his options. The Merchant would be on guard, which would make things difficult. No more games, then. Poison delivered via crossbow bolt, or some other means, was called for.

He would just need find the opportunity to strike.

Going home, and readying my crossbow and poisons for action. Then I'll be looking for an opportunity to shoot the man. Ideally in the dark.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Ilvis (Arandia, Forest south of Harvan)

Repressing the initial urge to cringe at the noise, I slide the Sword carefully and quickly out of its sheath and point it at the bandit before ducking into the woods towards the sounds of uh... combat?

"You- stay put."

Dad's talked me through it dozens of times, not counting all those times we played Bandits & Knights in the woods outside of town. Just gotta use the trees for cover and remember to watch out for my feet. Watch the feet, Ilvis! Try not to trip like a moron and you'll do just fine!

Taking care not to trip against an errant root or something, I pick my way over while trying not to clomp around like a clumsy idiot who's bound to catch an arrow in the throat.

Action: Charge in and sword some dudes.
Doctrine: Swording dudes (give it a crack with using the flat of the blade like before) while taking care not to eat an arrow to the face
Traits: +2 Sacred Sword- Flat of the blade, not the blade. Gotta remember to turn the blow so that they only get broken bones and not that other thing
+4 Martial Training- Fighting in the woods on uneven terrain? Nothing to it.

Roara
Nov 14, 2012
Red: Somewhere in Val Aman

Red attempted to match the rabbit's politeness as she chatted along with him, but given that it was the first time one of her hallucinations actually held a conversation with her, she was especially curious. In spite of the rabbit's best efforts to stay mysterious, she tried very hard to learn where it had been and where it was going.

If the rabbit attempted to leave, Red would simply follow it. There was adventure to be had, and surely the rabbit wouldn't try to trick her or lead her to wolves... but just in case he did, she made sure to bring along an axe for self defense. Probably.

Her questions were numerous. She asked the rabbit things like, "what's your name?" or "where are you from?" and even "what are you late for?" She even asked some odd-ball questions like "do rabbits know math?" and "do you prefer being called a rabbit, a bunny, hare, or perhaps coney?"

Continuing this fairytale adventure.
D: Phantasms +2 (creating more phantasms for the fairytale, or perhaps adding depth to the existing one(s))
M: Hallucinations -2 (keeping the dreamworld from becoming a nightmare)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

burn them burn them all feed their flesh to the fire flesh oh so tasty screams oh so sweet kill them watch them scream feast on their fear watch as they lie helpless taste their sweat..

Cyriss shook her head as the whispering took another form. Smiling crookedly, Cyriss headed deeper into the hospice, looking for Jacque, a patient that had been admitted a few weeks ago with a broken leg. While it seemed that the doctors patched it up, Cyriss thought the brace might be able to help.

Flesh oh so sweet tears oh so bitter make them scream make them suffer burn them slash them kill them listen to their screams smell their fear kill them burn them...

"Hi there Jaques! Cyriss exclaimed as she spotted him on a bed, "I brought this for you. It's a brace for your leg."

Dropping the brace beside the bed, she started to fit it onto Jaque's leg, fitting the knee joint at the point where his knee would bend. As the brace fell into place, Cyriss got up and helped Jaques start to walk. It seemed to work fairly well- he'd still walk with a limp, but that brace seemed to work well.

Whistling as she left- Jaques was still walking around on the brace, no reason to fully cripple him again- Cyriss headed towards a fairly abandoned alley. Finding a single beggar, she approached the man.

burn them listen to them scream smell them burn taste their fear make them suffer kill them screams so sweet watch as they flail in fear watch them scream taste their sweat burn them Burn them BURN THEM

"Hi there, how are you doing today?" Cyriss asked the beggar as she reached into her purse, the clock dangling from a string on her bandolier.

Action: Setting up the brace, making sure that it fits Jaque's leg. [+4] Artificer, your call if [-2] Insane should apply here or not. It's not like it's an overpowering voice or anything like that, just sort of like a mosquito buzzing around your head. Until she left of course.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wilhelm (Arandia, Minburg)

"Yes... Yes. Flowers. Of course. And honey. I've never considered that these things may be what pass through the minds of a bee," sarcasm bleeds from between Wilhelm's teeth as he speaks, his face left gawking more so at the simplicity of the response than the fact that he received one in the first place.

The old man works about the rear of his house where he wrestles his gardening shed door open. He pounds against one of the rickety wooden walls until a raccoon goes scampering free from its squatted home, and he begins going through one of the well crafted drawers where he keeps seeds. He pulls one open- Vegetables- and closes it. He pulls another open- Fruits- And closes it. He finally draws open the one where he keeps all his flowers for the season. The ones he never got around to planting because he always had something else to do. A buzz starts at the back of his mind, and his new-found minions begin gathering once again to answer the call.

The thousands of bees move about inside of his shed buzzing and humming and communicating greetings from different hives all with a common goal in mind- Wilhelm's desire to sew his freshly fallowed field with thousands of flower seeds.

Using my Divine +2 along with Agricultural Genius +4 to sew a field of flowers into the fields utilizing the bee method of seed dispersal.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Vanthos

Vanthos sighs. "Oh, Father. . ." he thinks, and cradles his head in his hands. The man was so vain, so impetuous, so desirous to "be someone", so eager to remind Vanthos that they weren't merely shopkeepers, they were shopkeepers to the University. "Father, what did you do?" He sits for a moment, thinking, and then swears an oath to himself. He will do what his father could not do. He will take control of the forces of darkness and use them for his own purposes. He will be master. He will.

Revitalized, he goes again to the circle, and tries once more to summon a creature, this time an imp, something he knows he can summon and control.

Summoning an Imp. +2 Summoning

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Aldrain - Stavos' Lab

Seeing the gold, Aldrain smiled. "So, we did not end up destroying the laboratory after all. This was certainly an experience. I am sorry to have to leave so soon, but some... interesting.. information has just come to light."

Aldrain nods his head at Stavos, and hurries back to the Library.

Once he arrives, he fetches some blank parchment, sharpens a quill, and then quickly sketches the altered symbol that appeared at the lab, comparing it to the original.

Using +4 Scholar to try to figure out the significance or origin of the difference between the old and the new symbol.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Stavos Burhonhim

Success! A lump of lead transformed to gold! Truly, the philosophers stone existed, it had been no fluke. The gold that Aldrain created could finance his studies for a month, and he had done it without even the simplest preparations. Stavos was glad of the result, overjoyed in fact, but it raised more questions than it answered. Careful to secure the gold in his lock box, along with the steel and other failed results, Stavos donned his cloak and headed for the library. More research was clearly required.

headed to the library to pick up those books Aldrain suggested, and do some study. Stavos is now convinced that true alchemy that he seeks is magical in nature, so he's going to focus on related non alchemical magic texts as much as alchemical texts to get a better idea what the hell is going on, and see if there are rituals that he inadvertently invoked, or effects upon him which he didn't even consider.
Alchemy +4 to help separate the chemical from the magical reactions
Natural philosophy +2 to broaden his search and cross reference into tomes involving transformation in non alchemical areas
Hoping to get an idea how to move forward without invoking my drawback

OOC, what is the DC for transmutation similar to what happened, if we're allowed to know?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 1, 2012

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Julianus - Harvain

Having finally arrived at his destination, Julianus looked for, and found, some cheap lodgings. Finally setting down his modest load, he relaxed for a while and then set out into the streets. For some time he just wandere the streets aimlessly, partially because he was trying to get a feel for the city but also because he really did not have a destination anymore. After his doubts on the road he had discarded the idea of crossing the border to the north and was resolved to find his purpose in Harvain, one way or another. If worst came to worst, he figured he could just make a normal life here, even though he still hoped for something ...greater.

During his wandering he found himself unintentionally listening in on nearby conversations again. This time however, he actually paid attention to them. In his experience there was no quicker way to learn the tidings of a place than the local gossip. Only now Julianus realised just how remarkable his gift truly was. At first he had thought it was merely a fluke of some kind, but now it was clear that whatever it was, it had a purpose. This at last lightened his mood and before long he found himself amiably chatting with street merchants, patrolling guards and whoever else was up for it (or couldn't get away in time). Whatever else, Harvain was still a city and he had always loved the hustle and bustle of so many people living close together.

For now, Julianus will keep his ears to the ground and see what's happening in and around Harvain. Unwavering Vigilance +2 will probably come in handy for that.

Also, sorry for missing the last update, work got a little stressful.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Andra and Civar (Arandia, Woods near Coltain)

The first night was not too bad, but it becomes quickly apparently that Civar can't manage to feed everyone from the pickings from the roadside. Fortunately people contribute a little bit and the meal becomes enough for everyone. There are comments on its 'unique' flavours, but these don't seem to be actual criticisms.

Success on Civar's action, upscaled to account for the large group.

However when you finally reach the skulls on the fourth day something happens. Civar and Andra feel a fogginess in their mind, as though something was clouding their thoughts. Suddenly from around them there are terrified shouts and screams. It's hard to make out the exact words from the frightened militiamen, but it seems they are seeing terrible monsters and ghouls. Most of the force flees, leaving only the mercenaries and Andra and Civar there to face the witch's hut itself. It sits off in the distance, seemingly unobtrusive and innocuous save for its grisly approach.

Daveron and Ilvis (Arandia, Woods south of Harvan)

Daveron sees Ilvis (in armour however) charge in at the bandit, her blade suddenly glowing with an opalescent aura. The bandit is entirely caught by surprise and fights back with surprising ferocity until finally Daveron feels himself influence him and there comes a great flash from Ilvis' blade. Blinded by the sudden light the bandit staggers backwards and falls into one of their traps. He stops moving although after a moment of cursory investigation it appears that he has merely been concussed and not killed, as his massive chest steadily rises and falls.

Success on both actions, Ilvis did well and contributed to Daveron changing his failure into a success.

Adam (Mines in North West Taeless)

It actually takes you a moment to realise that you are wandering around with your lantern. You can see in the dark, this is incredible! This makes it quite easy to avoid other miners as you can see the light from their lanterns approaching with relative ease. The other thing you notice is that you have an almost literal nose for ores and gems. It is difficult to accurately describe this but the closest you can think of is an almost intuitive knowledge of where ores are likely to be. You manage to mine more in this one day than you sometimes have in a sevenday, or even two sevendays when they were slow!

Success, you mine an incredible amount and also discover some of your abilities.

Degowin and Koth (Frozen Wilds, Godsheap)

Koth began moving quietly and swiftly towards the place the creature had entered. But it seemed someone else was also going there and went in first. As Koth approached he heard the sounds of battle, and the death cry of what was probably the great creature. As he got even closer to the entrance he was surprised by the shrieking of what might by the man, a loud and maddening screaming that grows hoarse. As you approach the entrance you notice the man completely engrossed...eating the corpse of the creature. As he does so he visibly begins to grow largely and his inhumanly pale skin begins to go a chilling blue.

Degowin has been so engrossed in his feeding frenzy he had yet to notice the song faintly returning, or the stranger looking at him hidden at the entrance. Additionally he also begins to grow a strange half frozen mane from his back, as well as his teeth becoming a bit sharper and better suited to ripping apart flesh. Koth is left to consider if he really wants to remain here for any longer.

Degowin gains the trait Divine: Sound Control +2, as well as the Quirk: Inhuman, to represent his changes from consuming the corpse of the creature.

Lilian (Taeless, Taelos)

At the last minute you close your eyes and create a gust of wind that creates a kind of cushion, that softens the impact of your fall. The guard is ruffled and surprised, but regains his composure after a moment. "What were you doing up on the roof citizen?" The guard asks suspiciously, and somewhat aggressively as well. While running around on the roofs is not really a normal activity and probably not much liked it isn't a crime. Is there some other reason that the guard is so aggressive about it? Maybe he thinks you're a Mage or something with your wind trick, although Lilian is sure it is not actually magic.

Success, you cushion your fall

Mazir (Elysian Sands, His room in Elysia)

Hatun and Zel had decent foundations for what Mazir was teaching them at least. This made it much quicker and they were surprising quick students although a great deal of this may have had to do with their eagerness to not be horribly killed like their companion. After the training is done you wait a day after which they return three times, twice with travellers from clans which had arrived and once with a lady from a house some distance away. After several hours of waiting it seems that they had not been noticed.

Success, you have two kidnappers who are capable of kidnapping civilians who are vulnerable.

Arashan (Elysian Sands, Elysia)

The journey to Elysia is slow and arduous, but it is always so and your people have learned to be careful in the sands. After many days you arrive to discover the Pools in an uproar, there are several people that have been missing now and no one has an explanation as for why. The tribes are starting to feel that other tribes are betraying them and the situation is turning ugly.

Success, you find out something is making the tribes concerned and things are getting very tense. This relates to Mazir's actions, although as of yet no-one knows this.

Kovar (Taeless, North West)

The first one, Algard looks fairly discontent with the first situation. "Gold is nice, but I don't want to be come across the captain if he finds out I've run out on duty..." He says nervously, displaying at least a sense of duty as far as protecting his own interests. The second one responds with a wide smile on his face. "Ah, but he will be glad that we've taken initiative to solve the matter won't he? We'll travel with you stranger, I dislike immensely leaving debts unpaid. You may call me Jusep, friend."

Success, the men are willing to travel with you.

Edo (Eosia, Mudhal)

Edo finds himself unfortunately surprised to learn that there are not really wise men in Mudhal. There are rich men and poor men and plenty of both, but wisdom does not seem to be something that is in abundance. In fact his first attempts at asking some elderly men about his powers ends up with derisive laughter, forcing Edo to go somewhere else. Fortunately his charm helps prevent the raucous laughter from turning nasty but it is still and unpleasant thing to discover. By the time he leaves he is grateful to be gone from such a place and likely to begin to feel homesick. However a few people were grateful enough that he healed them to give him a few coins, but they rarely had much to give and Edo being an honest and good natured man often declined. As such he found himself heading to the capital Eisos with little more coin to his name than he began with.

The trip itself was quick though, surprisingly faster than by road and perhaps easier. The days were hot and sticky and the nights less hot and just as sticky. The climate as they travelled inland was greatly different to Black Waters. In just three days Edo found himself at the docks in Eisos, with little to go by expect a somewhat snide comment that if he truly was magic, then he should go to the University as that was were such people congregated.

Success, although Mudhal is a terrible place for an honest man. You get by, but are unable to make little extra money in the day you spend there.

Octagon (Taeless, Tealos rooftops)

You return to your room and look around carefully. You haven't been followed as far as you can tell, so seeing that it is safe you carefully unlatch your hidden compartment behind a drape and then retrieve your tools of assassination.

"Back so soon?" The first dry voice asks in a dull manner.

Red (Val Aman, near Val Haysus)

"I am Mr. White of course." The Rabbit says straightening his back as you ask him his name. Suddenly a girl in a blue dress crawls out from under a nearby tree. "Have you seen my dog? We got lost after a storm and he ate some funny cake, now he's too small and I can't see him at all." She asks looking like she might be about to cry. The rabbit seems like he wants to run off somewhere, but he is too much of a gentleman to leave a lass in distress. The frustration on his face is really quite plain.

"Okay, can you tell me you found this cake young lady?" He asks a little tersely, but otherwise attempts to continue to be good mannered. The little girl nods and points over further into the woods. "There was a board with white and black square and a lion, a tin man and a scarecrow having a tea party. It was their cake. I'm Alice by the way, pleased to meet you." She curtsies after her introduction and waits for you to follow.

Success, you're going further into the rabbit party woods lair. No nasty wolves yet.

Cyriss (Taeless, Taelos)

You manage to find Jacques, who is quite confused by your ministrations. The poor man seems to be quite confused and insists he's not Jacques at all. You really have a bit of trouble getting the leg brace onto him, but eventually he seems to quiet down and you strap it on. It does take him a while to wake back up though, and the nurses are looking at you with a great deal of shock and concern. Fortunately though Jacques can walk so it is all for the best and you leave contentedly knowing that your work is done and someone's life has been bettered.

The beggar looks at you cautiously as you approach. "Excuse me miss, but why do you have flint and steel in your hand?" He asks with a bit of apprehension, looking side to side.

Failure, you can't find Jacques and instead put the leg-brace on another man. You have to knock him out to do so though.

Wilhelm (Arandia, Minburg)

Bees are very industrious and apparently, quite ingenious when it comes to agriculture. A clump of bees huddle over a patch of loose dirt and use their wings to displace the dirt. Then another bee travels to a flower and takes nectar into their pouch and roll on the dirt, displacing any seeds they picked up. Then they move on. It is not exactly the fastest process, but bees are industrious and there are a great number of them...

Success, but bee agriculture is really difficult for the poor things

Vanthos (Eosia, Basement in Eisos)

It took a bit of preparation, for even though you thought you'd figured out the essential basics to the process you still wanted to be sure. Eventually you were there, and you began the summoning. As you make the call you can feel for a moment your awareness reach out and touch something else, something distant and full of fire, smoke and ash. Suddenly your mind is touched by a frightening awareness, it probes you and seems to be content with that because it lets you go. As you regain your awareness and composure you cough a little, acrid brimstone smelling smoke wafting away from an ugly creature squatting in the centre of your summing circle. It is about the height of a young child and has a wiry frame with dull reddish-brown skin of a leathery texture. Its eyes however are black, with bright orange irises. It seems to await you to do something, a substantial improvement over the eyeball.

Success, you summoned an Imp

Aldrain (Eosia, University of Eisos Library)

You were fortunate in your knowledge of how to search for books in these halls. You begin your investigation in the proto-runes section of the linguistics section. However you find that you're having trouble finding the word. It looked a lot like change, in fact that was your original word that you used. But the new word that was made was different. You spend a number of hours searching before you finish your studies.

You are now certain the word was not recorded, or perhaps ever used. Because after extensive comparisons you are sure this is a more complicated and specific word of change. Transmutation would be the common usage, but you think it's even more specific than that. The very word itself seems to be changing something into gold, as it has elements of gold, change and metal.

Success, you identify the rune to change substances into gold.

Stavos (Eosia, Universsity of Eisos Library)

Magic is considerably difficult difficult to simply pick up. It does however seem to have a lot in common with Alchemy, in that both of them rely on careful formulas and steps to be recreated accurately to have the desired effect. However picking up even a few basic spells is fairly difficult, so you are suddenly much more impressed with Aldrain's recent dabbling in the art. However what you can ascertain is that magic uses a pervasive energy and that was probably what you tapped into to transmute the lead. This is why you could bypass your regular alchemical reactions, as you no longer needed to rely on them for catalytic energy. However you still remain unsure exactly how you tapped into this power in the first place, although intent and focus seem to be important.

Success, however you can't bypass your weakness. Either you invoke it, or you decide on a new one to replace it.

Julianus (Arandia, Harvan)

It seems that one of the local lasses is missing, a girl by the name of Ilvis. Her cousin Daveros was seen riding out after her. Aside from this there is a lot of chatter about the Starfall, as well as some concern about the Duchess' illness. It seems she has been bedridden for a number of days. Finally there is the usual concern about what is happening in Eosia, as their envoy has not been for several moons now.

Success, you pick out a number of more notable concerns on peoples minds.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Alexios - Inn in Taelos

Alexios met the man's gaze with his own, sizing him up. His face impassive, he dropped a simple nod, leaning up against the bar and taking a shot of fiery whisky. He'd had several already, and hardly felt it--odd, that.

"I suppose you've heard true," he said, gaze still locked on the man's own. "Councilor Voluminares, however, does not share my views." He lifted a loose shrug. "Merchants make poo poo statesmen, if you ask me."

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Taeless, North West

"And you may call me Kovar," the general responds. "Anyhow, to try and get the bottom of this, I'll need to know if there has been anything else odd that has occurred in the same time-frame. Even things that might appear innocuous could be vital. There has to be some connection between the recent goings on, and when we find that we find the true source of the problem.

"Oh, and would either of you have the coin to spare that I might get cleaned up and buy some clothing other than these rags. While being underestimated is fine enough for a time, it stops being effective now that I'm not alone, and I imagine the townsfolk will be much more likely to talk with a man in modest dress than a beggar."

Asking the guards if they know of any other strange things to happen in town recent, or know of anyone who might know. Asking them to include even innocuous odd things.

Experienced General[+4] - To have the intuition to seperate important info from unimportant stuff.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 3, 2012

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo (Eosia, Eosis

Eosis. The dreaded city of magic and learning, seat of the Eosian Empire, home of oppression and setting of a thousand horrible tales. And, perhaps unsurprisingly for the sophisticated reader, not quite as intimidating as Edo had expected.

What struck Edo most on arrival was how little it lived up to its fearsome reputation. He'd expected something with more skulls and blood, but it was almost the same mix of plain brick and stone buildings he'd seen in Mudhal. Barring, of course, a brilliant white building in the centre that could only be the White Palace.

It was with some relief that Edo realised he wouldn't have to worry too much about getting killed by some crazed wizard. Maybe the days of slavery and human sacrifice were genuinely behind the Empire. Instead, as he looked around the docks and noticed a preponderance of big, heavy men with visible weaponry and seemingly nothing to do, the more mundane dangers of cities seemed to be a bigger problem.

He'd been told about the university by a Mudhal merchant the day before, but as a newcomer he had no idea where that might be. He was also a bit concerned about associating with mages before anyone else knew who he was. So he decided to instead follow behind a team of porters carrying boxes into the city, on the reasonable assumption that he'd find merchants there. And where there were merchants, there were people who valued a good carver's skills.

Looking for markets, either dock markets or grand markets. There he's going to try to set up shop as a carver, with a sideline in healing, and make some allies that way.

Actions:
Set up shop at the markets as a carver: M Charming +2 to get space without trouble, M Carver +4 to start crafting masterpieces out of garbage wood that astound passersby.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Andra (with Civar) (Arandia, Woods near Coltain)

"Niccolo, Vincenzo," Andra barks out to her fellow warriors, the two who are natives of Coltain, "round up the fleeing people. I don't want them to run into bears or anything, or even fight one another in their panic." They will be more likely to react favorably to fellow townsmen, she theorizes. "Eoghan, Travis, Civar - with me."

Andra sets her jaw, her eyes hardening, flinty. Whatever just happened... she doesn't like it. No, she doesn't like it one bit. She stalks towards the witch's hut, her hand on the pommel of her sword - though she does not draw it, not yet. There is still a chance that this is all a misunderstanding - that the witch is being blamed for crimes not her own - and she does not intend to strike an unjust blow without at least making an effort to discover the true nature of things. "Civar, whatever protective charms you have, be ready to use them. Eoghan, Travis, stay to either side of me; if the witch attacks, let her strike me first. She will find me a harder prey than the average merchant."

She reaches the hut, opens the door, and steps inside.

Sending two of the mercenaries off to round up the fleeing militia instead of doing it myself means I probably can't use Charming as Hell [+4] to rally them - but I'll mention it anyways, because you never know, right? ;)

Meanwhile, entering the witch's hut and being prepared for combat; if a fight breaks out, Doughty Warrior [+4] and Divine:Unstoppable [+2] will probably come into play.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Aldrain - The Library

Aldrain retrieves a blank book, sharpens his quill and sits down for an evening of study. He carefully traces the individual components of the new rune into the book, detailing what he believes the meaning to be, as well as a description of the effect when it was placed in conjunction with 'Change'. He cross references often with the Primer, attempting to find the modifier themselves. As he works, he slowly traces more stylised versions onto his desk, in the same style as the 'Gold' symbol from the experiment at the lab.

Trying to make a start on codifying Sigilry.

+4 Scholar [Mortal], as it's essentially nothing but research.
+2 Sigilry [Divine], he is tracing out stylised versions of the modifier runes as he goes.

edit: Whoops, labelled the traits.

oTHi fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 5, 2012

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Koth (Godsheap)

Messing with the spirits is never a good thing, and clearly Old man Winter had just murdered and eaten another spirit, just like in the stories...

But this is wrong. That faint song is struggling to be heard, and Old man Winter wants it snuffed out forever.

Taking his weapon in hand (his blade-on-a-stick, he'd never bothered to learn what it was called), Koth steps into the shadows and starts humming along with the song.

Perhaps some part of it can still be salvaged?

And if not, he'll have to play catch with a spirit.

It has been some time since he was last the prey instead of the predator.

Animal cunning[+2] To catch something of the song.
Phase Shifting[+2] to stay out of sight and avoiding attacks, going through or halfway into the walls if needed.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
DeGowin - (Godsheap)

Having eaten his fill, DeGowin sats back. That damned song seemed to be returning. Have I gone mad? Is this some twisted nightmare? Did I die out there in the cold? His uncharacteristically philosophical tangent came to an end when his meal began to settle. Degowin began to burp, the action getting away from him as the sound began to reverberate through the cave, seemingly enhanced by something. The roar of it drowned out all else as the walls began to shake, the ice splintering and taking pieces of loose stone and rubble with it.

http://youtu.be/wQbF1mxYEVY

Hi Methane!

My action is to belch, with the IC-unwitting use of sound control. OOC I wonder what sound control can do, given that sound is the end product of mechanical vibrations at certain frequencies. Earthquakes, anyone?

Using Strongman[+4] (Mortal)for a really strong Belch
Sound Control [+2](Divine) to turn it up to 11.

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 5, 2012

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Adam (Mines in North West Taeless)

It was odd sounds of the other miners talking about taking a bath in the nearby river that brought him out of his mining stupor. He couldn't truely recall how he had come to be half naked, baked in sweat, and surrounded by large mining carts.

He especially couldn't recall just how he managed to practically stack each and every single cart to the top with nothing but ore.

He tip-toed the best he could, looking into one of them. There was so much in, some which he was definately sure they didn't have in the mines of Sellos. At least, not in his lifetime.

He looked around, noting that people were leaving, and stared at the entrance through the darkness. The open air smelt lovely, and yet so... open. The mine may have been musky but it was also warm... homely... quiet... dark. He wouldn't have to worry about having people bother him in here.

A thought struck him, an idea in his mind. Suppose he were to move into the mines? Find a small hovel where he could make a hole through the mountain. Enough to make a hot forge. Maybe carve his own little hovel in the walls. He mines all day, forges at night, his brothers sell his wares. His talent at metal working, for all he knew, might have gone the same way his mining had, and who knows just how good his blades would be!

But first... a little convicing. Slowly hauling the carts out to the open, he straightened his rather thick beard, and headed out to find the foreman at the river, to propose his idea.

((Going to go out, find the guy in charge of taking care of the mine, and convince him that he should let me stay based on the crap-ton amount of work I just did in the cave. He should be at the river with the other guys having a wash.

+2 Calm and composed: The plan is set, just have to bring it up in a reasonable way without looking weird. If they see the evidence by the entrance to the mines, they'll know I mean business.))

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar (with Andra) - Arandia, Woods near Coltain

Fear pierced me like a spear. What those men had been screaming about. It had to be a warding spell. I hadn't felt a thing. Not a whisper as over a dozen men in arm's reach of me had been ensorcelled. Hell's bells, this witch was good. There were only two possibilities, either the spell had been extremely precise, much better than anything I ever managed on my best day, or the spell had washed over me and I hadn't sensed it. Either way, I was way out of my league here.

"Niccolo, Vincenzo," Andra barks out to her fellow warriors, the two who are natives of Coltain, "round up the fleeing people. I don't want them to run into bears or anything, or even fight one another in their panic." They will be more likely to react favorably to fellow townsmen, she theorizes. "Eoghan, Travis, Civar - with me."

The sound of my name snaps me out of my funk. Falling back on old habits I smile and nod encouragingly at Andra and the other mercenaries while I pull my thoughts back together. Can't let the marks see you sweat. If you don't seem convinced, you can't convince anyone else that you're a dangerous man. Best left alone, no matter how much the iron in his cart will sell for.

No time to change plans now. I hurriedly unwrap a small glass vial of crushed hensbane and dip several cold iron nails into the gooey red liquid. Unlike henbane hensbane was barely toxic, except to hostile spells. I would have preferred a fresher sample, but it wasn't the right season to find it wild and I certainly can't afford to buy something so expensive. I'd just have to make do as best I could. At least the hensbane was adhering unusually well to the nails.

Looking up from stoppering the vial, I see Andra nearly to the door already. I hurry after them, the coated nails, discretely hidden in my palm. After all, the witch could decide to be reasonable. What was waiting for us on the other side of the door could be nothing more threatening than tea and polite conversation. Yeah right.

Countering any magic thrown at the group D+4
M Alchemy +4 - preparing a counter spell
D Order +2 - Binding the elements of the counter spell together so they are more than the sum of their parts
Poor -2 - the ingredients of the counter spell aren't the best

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir: Elysian Sands

Mazir grinned as he looked the three chained individuals in his basement, the two travelers and the woman stared in fear and uncertainty as they examined their unfamiliar surroundings. They were on some sort of slope stone floor, right next to a drain. Glancing at Hatun and Zel, Mazir felt a smidgen of pride, his lessons had helped them, and they had gone about their task with gusto. He made note to make sure they got something good for their services.

"Well rewarded minions have more incentive to work hard and stay loyal" he thought, as he stepped over to the two.

"You did well" he said to the two, softening his tone so it sounded less intimidating. I'm glad you took to my lessons, assuming this all goes well, I'll make sure you two are well rewarded, it will be a while before we can attempt this again, even the smallest people tend to be missed if enough time passes. Once I'm finished with these three, I'll make sure to dispose of the bodies. We might have to move, but don't worry. he said, giving the two a smile

I'm proud of you two, you're valuable to me" he added.

Pulling out a thick silver dagger, Mazir stepped over to the three bound individuals, they're eyes bulged, and their muffled voices erupted into begging.

It is the duty of the weak to serve the strong, and you shall serve me in a glorious way. he said grabbing one of the men's hair and pulling his head back, exposing his neck. With a swift slash, Mazir slit his throat and threw him on the ground. The man bleed quickly, and Mazir soon repeated the performance with his two companions.

After several minutes, all three expired, and soon a familiar miasma emerged from the bodies. Grinning, Mazir's two hands, and his mouth erupted with a similar purple energy as he began to gobble down the three souls at once.

I'm compliment my men to boost their loyalty, and I'm killing the three captives and eating their souls.

Mortal Actions
[+2 Charisma] Being nice to my men to boost their loyalty and make them feel important.

[+4 Intelligence] Using my knowledge of anatomy to know where to cut the throats of the people so they die quickly and around a similar time.

Divine Action: [+2 Soul Magic] I'm attempting to eat all three souls at once.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 5, 2012

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - His Secret Lair, Taelos

Octagon jerks a bit, startled by the voice once more. He turns to glare at the corner the spider currently resides in.

"Chatty bunch, aren't you? One of your buddies broke my concentration while I was on the job. Whole thing went south. Which is why I'm getting ready to shoot someone."

He pauses a moment, before giving the spider an odd glance.

"The question is, can you be of any use?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Stavos - Laboratory

The further he researched, both more and less became clear to him. Belief, that was the key. To transmute one needed to want it badly enough. And that did seem to make some measure of sense, but why would this have worked some times and not others? Was there no path down which we could lead himself to reliably perform these actions? Was there no formula, no ritual, which could serve him the best? How was he to reproduce his success reliably? "The plural of anecdote is not datum," he spoke gently to himself, "and yet I do have irrefutable data points." What was he to make of this?

Perhaps.... perhaps some metals were more difficult to transmute than others, and required different actions. This naturally made sense; surely the different chemical reactions he'd performed in the past had different reagents and requirements, why not this "magical" transmutation?

What he needed was yet more data. He had one form of axis plotted out at least; he knew that others could transmute as well. Perhaps it was a matter of who could reliably do [/i]what?[/i] In a whirlwind of activity, Stavos rushed around his laboratory, gathering a variety of materials and a variety of reagents from his almost-successes and near-failures, paths that he had investigated and abandoned. He could no longer be certain that these tracks were to be ruled out anymore; he may have been missing one key reagent in his skeptical set of steps: belief.

Stavos prepares the work table with the first set of ingredients, and sets about his work with the conviction that this time, things would be different.

Well, Stavos can sort of transmute steel, and Aldrain can definitely make gold. Stavos is going to throw a bunch of science at the wall and see what sticks, but this time he's going to believe in it, and try to capture that feeling of surety that he had during the last successes. Maybe he can figure out a pattern of what's easy to transmute and what's difficult, to at least have some path to go down.

Alchemy +4 [Mortal] to prepare each experiment in the way that was most promising
Transmutation +2 [Divine] to focus himself and believe in success

Regarding direction, I'm not trying to change my traits, I'm just looking for a bit of external direction. Right now, my game plan is to experiment, experiment, experiment, with a healthy dose of research and a small amount of missing dinner to do it. I can do that, but it's not going to make a particularly interesting plotline for me. I'm was hoping that library research would turn up mention of alchemists on a similar track to me, or some other promising lead that would lead me on a quest or at least get me out of my lab for some reason that was plot related instead of "well I think I'll just ignore the most important findings I've had in 30 years and take a vacation." If you'd prefer that I write that part for myself and give myself that direction, I can do this.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Woods south of Harvan)

"Daveron?! What are you doing out here- Erm, I mean, greetings Ser Daveron. It is good to see you."

Theatrically deep voice ringing clearly false inside my helmet, I pray silently to whatever gods are watching that he takes the hint and doesn't break my clever ruse. After waiting expectantly for a moment to see if he does, I turn back towards the bandit presumably still cowering in the woods.

"You can come out now. Baldos was it? Your former master Baldos lies beaten at the bottom of one of these pits. I'll need your help in dragging him out and tying him up while he's still unconscious. And any of the rest of you who are still alive too. If you've any ill-gotten loot or further companions hiding in the woods we'll have to bring both to light, but otherwise it's all over for you lot."

Welp, looks like this is a win for us! :D Right then, since it doesn't take any relevant traits or rolls to do otherwise mundane stuff, I'll just get Billy the ex-Bandit to come along and help me dig out/tie up his former peers. We're going to go through their lair for loot, captives, anybody else still hanging and then afterwards walk them into town.

http://imgur.com/Iffbe

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Daveron (Arandia, Woods South of Harvan)

Daveron grumbles, shaking his head. "Was looking for you Ilvis, people were worried." Daveron wearily sits for a moment, ontop of one of the bandit's bodies. "Got a few of them though," he grins, pulling out a flask of Arandian Brandy, and taking a swig.

He idly checks the bandit's pockets as he does so, pulling out a coin here and there, inspecting it, before pocketing it. Glancing up at Ilvis under raised eyebrows, he quickly adds, "Don't tell your parents about this," grinning. He groans and stands up, kneeling and leaning on the bandit to help him up, then walks over to where Baldos fell.

He looks back to Ilvis, and nods. "I could always use a few fellows like these guys working for me...well maybe someone that is better in a scrap."

Basically aiding Ilvis in the looting/capturing of prisoners/general being a dick to these bandits. Using +4 Strong Body to help with the heavy lifting, and +2 Noble Blood to perhaps scare them into the whole "You just hosed with the wrong bloodline"

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Woods south of Harvan)

"WRHAGH HOFF HOFF COFF COUGH!"

Hearing him sound out the first syllables of my name, I break out into a fit of (hopefully) realisitic and loud coughing, trying to drown out the sound of Daveron's words so that they don't reach the ears of any indiscreet listeners.

"Ahem. Herm, well. Cough."

Oh bugger, people don't actually SAY "cough" when they cough do they? Stupid Daveron, why can't you just take the drat hint! Quick, say something manly before the whole clever disguise thing falls through. Manly voice, deep voice, here we go-

"YES! Well, many of them will likely face the gallows unless someone speaks up for them and pays the fine for their crimes. Ahem. Just getting a bit of phlegm out of my throat here. I've given this man here my promise that I'll plead for clemency on his behalf, maybe they'll let him off with a maiming or some sort of flogging. If you feel it necessary, I'm sure that between the two of us we could make a very strong case that their leader bears the greatest responsibility for their crimes."

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wilhelm has gone completely mad (Arandia - Mindburg -> Outer Gindarr Jungle)

The old man moved with vigor. So much to do. So much to see. They were part of him as much as he was part of them, and all of them so young and stupid. And he was so wise and old!

It was a perfect pairing, effectively giving him the youth he barely ever had and companions that didn't whine, moan, complain. They were hard workers through and through, and excellent companions. With all their strengths, though, they could not learn, so it fell upon Wilhelm to learn everything for them.

"Come, my little companions, let the flowers grow and let us go elsewhere!"

He wiggled his toes into his boots, threw on his pointy, felt hat, and hiked a backpack up onto his back with a few jars of honey and a few loaves of bread. A veritable swarm of bees climbed into his backpack, and when it was finally full of his companions the rest that could not find vacancy bumbled off to find business elsewhere.

The hivemind moves as one to the Eastern horizon, where the dread Gindarr Jungle awaits, though it was not so dreadful now that he had such good protection. Several hours pass before Wilhelm finally reaches where the roads end, and he pushes on through the brush. He listens carefully, searches under leaves, and general spends his time flipping logs and scanning the jungle floor for anything of interest.

Using Hivemind Usurper +2 to have my bees sort of scan out for anything of interest and also to tap into any local hiveminds of other interesting bugs, and using Entymologist +2 to look for and identify any interesting critters.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Julianus - Harvan

A missing girl was always bad news, and when she's minor nobility it's even worse. More often than not you'd have overzealous relatives or household guards charging after her, and this seemed to be no different.
Julianus sighed to himself. If it was a kidnapping, these would-be heroes often turned an already dangerous situation into a messy one. Even if it was harmless, like the girl just sneaking off to meet with a boy she's sweet on, things could still become ugly. Even if things went well, being paraded back home for the entire neighbourhood to see is often the low-point of an already harrowing exprience for the girl in question.

He scoffed. These people might be well-meaning most of the time, but why couldn't they just leave things to the professionals? Alas there was not much Julianus himself could do right now. Any lead he might have had was already cold by now, he'd have no luck charging after her on his own. The only thing he could really do was hoping for the best and keeping his ears open. Should her cousin by some fluke succeed in bringing her back he might be able to intercept them before their arrival caused too much of a commotion. A little discretion at the right time might just go a long way towards keeping the inevitable scandal less harmful to the girl's reputation. Even if the cousin came back empty-handed he might at least have some information that Julianus could use to find her himself.

Julianus will be trying his best to be among to first to know if Ilvis and/or Daveron return and attempts to meet up with them before they get too far into the city.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Alexios (Taeless, inn in Tealos)

"They're good at counting money which admittedly has its uses. Depends on if you want to live a life of comfort or of glory. But Taeless wasn't built on the tiring words and ledgers of some merchants. Tell me, friend, what would you do if you were leader...and how would you get there?"

Kovar (Taeless, town in the northwest)

Slight retcon here, to better synch things up between you and Adam

There was the tale of the noise and lights that came a few nights ago after the Starfall. Aside from that people have been concerned that there have been some dead fish in the river that feeds from the mountains. They seem to be flowing downstream as if something closer to its source was killing them. Additionally no animal seems to willingly look towards the peak where the river sources from which has been causing farmers difficulty. The last thing which you pick up on is that all the walls facing towards that peak have some weird burn marks on them, or in stone bleaching, which forms an odd symbol. It looks almost like a flame if you look at it carefully.

Many of these on their own seem to be relatively innocuous or standard superstitions but the coincidences are conspicuous to a trained mind.

Success, you find some other signs of something strange occurring to the north west.

Edo (Eosia, Eisos)

Edo learns quickly that the markets of Eisos are a cruel place. He has to buy a permit to sell in a market, the permits cost more money then Edo has ever heard of anyone in his village having and further more there is a mountain of paperwork to sign. Edo has barely even needed to learn his letters and the thought of filling out such forms fills him with apprehension. When it becomes clear that you are obviously incapable of filling any of these requirements you are shooed out of the office and back into the streets.

Dejected by your failure you head back to the market and sit for a while. You notice a couple of people come up and sell various items to one of the market stalls. The man at the stall gives the person money and then puts it for sale on his stall. It seems that some people at least at the markets just sell items for other people, which doesn't surprise you given how difficult the staff at the office were.

Failure on the first part of your roll, but the second parts success helped give you a hint as to how you might still sell some stuff.

Andra and Civar (Arandia, woods north of Coltain)

As Andra and Civar approach the house they feel waves of magic roil around them and threaten their minds. Civar tries to mix a potion but he begins to flounder, what combination of herbs and tinctures can counter magic of the mind? As if sensing his fear and insecurity shades seem to rise up out of the many shadows, taunting and threatening him. By now the last of the mercenaries had fled as well despite Andra's attempts to rally them. In fact in the end it was only Andra's hand, grasping and holding Civar's arm firmly that acted as a burning light of clarity in the maelstrom of mental assaults. Determined she advanced to the hut and found a woman, not elderly or crone like but neither young standing in the door. Her hair had begun to grey and she wore a grim expression filled with hatred on her face. You imagine she would have been very pretty when she was younger, but the years are beginning to take their toll and her expression does little to improve her features.

"So." She begins in an icy cold voice, calm and steady but filled with deepest loathing. "It was not enough to take my dignity and then my child. Oh no, you and your filthy money counters now come to take my life as well. So be it. I will be judged for my sins on my death, but I think they shall be naught compared to those thee shall face."

Mostly failures, but Andra managed to succeed on her trait. Alchemy is not going to help much in direct contests with magic, but I did take your Divine trait into account Civar. As a general suggestion, I would stick with that next time you're dealing with magic or spiritual matters, at least for now anyway.

Aldrain (Eosia, Great Library of Eisos)

At some point your work becomes somewhat more difficult when you transmute your desk into gold. The library staff are unsure of whether to be pleased with the windfall, or displeased with the vandalism. They are quick to remind Aldrain that magic is generally not to be used in the library, but with some surprise as no-one though Aldrain actually knew any magic at all.

After that initial problem you change to pages, which when transmuted (and later when trying to figure out silver you end up with some silver sheets) they do not spread to other pages or the desk. It seems when inscribed upon an object the runes act on all parts of that item, but not parts connected to it. The items inside the now gold desk were untouched for example, although difficult to rescue. You feel at peace as you work through this endeavour, trying to figure out new knowledge. Something in the back of your mind almost whispers, encouraging you and urging you to share this with others.

I wasn't sure of what the intent of some of your wording was, but I decided to run with it a bit with a minor detail that wouldn't really affect much. The action was however a Success, and you become aware of a Presence in the Library.

Koth and Degowin (Frozen Wilds, Godsheap)

Koth manages to phase into the walls, which are practically thrumming with the song. It is though the ice and ground itself have absorbed the dying song of the creature that was killed. It was at this moment that Degowin leaned back and unleashed his belch. This was a surprising event for both Degowin and Koth, because the belch was like a massive blast of thunder that shattered all of the ice in the room. Degowin is then suddenly much more aware that his body is now even more different than it was the night before. Koth is somewhat deafened, but managed to slip back into a wall before he got spotted. It is thankfully a lot quieter inside of solid rock than it was outside.

Success for both parties.

Adam (Taeless, mine in northwest)

The foreman is doubly speechless. Firstly because you have minecarts full of ore which would take a month for other people to mine. Secondly because you are now a lot shorter, hairier and the lost height seems to have been converted sideways. This makes convincing the foreman a lot easier, because by the time his mind has caught up enough to actually make an argument he'd already agreed.

But as he pointed out, organising everything would take some time so for the time being he suggested you continue living in your house until they could, at the very least, find a relatively stable place for you to start working on making a home. The other men hang around quietly while you made your point, but you can feel them staring at you in amazement, given that many of them had managed to miss your little spectacle in the morning. Unlike the townsfolk, while there is a bit of fear and curiosity because of change, there is also a deal of admiration and jealousy given that you single handedly put many of them to shame.

Success, but starting Dwarf-civilisation is going to be a slow process, even for a single house. You've got to organise food, stuff like a bed, where you'll get water from and so forth. I won't make you roll for each of them, but it's an explanation for why it'll take a little bit to set up.

Mazir (Elysian Sands, Elysia)

You consume the souls of the frightened people, this time gaining some small insight into their lives and memories. One was a beggar and there was little more of interest to note. Another was a weaver of some competency but no great skill or creativity. Finally the last one was a farmer from Taeless who had stolen something to feed his family, been caught and fled after they'd cut off his hand. He had made some money helping travellers from Taeless by translating.

Your subordinates seem somewhat traumatised by the event and have a haunted look in their eyes, but they say little in response to your actions. You feel...a connection to them in some way, and as you look their skin seems a little paler and their eyes slightly greener than before.

Success. Because you are a horrible soul-sucking monster your two followers are quick to believe you are a god. However two followers is little to grant you tangible power.

Octagon (Taeless, Tealos)

"You only just learn to listen and now you complain about us? You Humans barely ever stop speaking long enough to take breath. As for your other question that really depends on what you want me to do you know." The spider says in response, giving you the impression that spiders may not have a lot to do while they wait in their webs except coming up with snide remarks and witty comebacks. It however does not seem immediately opposed to helping you which is...surprising.

Stavos (Eosia, Laboratory in Eisos)

You read back upon the notes, remembering what you learned in the library. There was another Alchemist who was a Wizard as well who mentioned similar things. He said that in the end he had created a spell that would create a substance so hard that it was nearly impervious. But unfortunately the spell required so much power it would consume the life of the caster. Fearing what people with less scruples and more power in the future might do to find a way to make another pay the cost he destroyed all traces of the spell. But it was his hope that one day another would find a way to make the substance without killing someone. He said that he took his inspiration from diamond, but that diamonds were not a metal and that alchemy could not create them.

You consider this carefully and try not to kill yourself for now. As for your experiments, there is a particular way of looking...where you seem to have a moment of clarity and the world stands still. In that moment you can reach out with this new power you have and shape an object with it. Achieving that clarity isn't easy though and you fail as many times as you succeed. You manage to transmute some small lumps of lead into steel, silver and electrum. Once you accidentally transmute a stone carving that you used as a paper weight into jade.

That's okay, it wasn't clearly for me from your post. Hopefully this will give you some starts for story direction, but largely the story is for you to make and direct. I just help flesh things out and run the world. You action is a success, the failures are there for flavour and to help give your character context as to what is successful and what is not.

Ilvis and Daveron (Arandia, Woods south of Harvan)

Ilvis can smell the alcohol from where she stands, but Daveron doesn't seem to be completely smashed yet which is a nice change. That might explain how he has managed to kill almost every bandit except for the Baldos and the surviving ambusher. He seems just as much in shock that you're actually keeping your word, that Daveron managed to almost single-handedly wipe out a bandit camp. He mumbles something about the devil's luck but you can't make it out clearly.

In terms of intimidating the bandit leader well...it works a bit too well. After hearing a choking gurgling noise you peer down to see that Baldos has taken his own life. Apparently he decided a quick death was better than the long and drawn out affair his execution would likely be. It does make it easy to loot the gold and stolen goods that the bandits had accumulated...but getting a war horse to act as a pack mule may prove challenging.

Success

Wilhelm (Arandia, Southern Gindarr Jungle)

Ants. Of course it would be ants, they're always underfoot and everywhere. But here in the Jungle they've really gotten a good diet going. You can feel the giant colony stretching beneath your feet for miles. It took a bit of convincing though to explain to the Queen that an Emperor is in fact superior but she eventually got the message. You stretch your hands in one direction and millions of tiny insect feet move in that direction. As for the bees they are anxious as there are ants and other insects which feed on them. As well as the wasps...their ancient and evil cousins.

Success, you find a colony of ants in the Jungle

Julianus (Arandia, Harvan)

If you hang around the south gate you'll likely run into Ilvis and Daveron when they return, as long as they don't go a different route for some reason.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 7, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Andra (with Civar) (Arandia, woods north of Coltain)

The waves of magic wash over the two remaining... well, 'adventurers' might be the only apt word, really... and Andra grits her teeth.

Fear. Insecurity. It's not as though she's not grappled with those before. Good men and women, cut down in their prime, lost for all time to a stupid, pointless battle in a stupid, pointless skirmish. Men and women who trusted her. Who looked to her for leadership. Oh, their deaths were avenged, but that doesn't make the voices silent at night. No... Andra won't be stopped by this.

She can't let herself be stopped. If she stops the world will catch up with her.

"If you have been wronged," Andra growls out at the witch-woman once she has discarded spells for speech, "I know aught of it; if you will surrender and return to Coltain with us peacefully, I give you my word that I will attempt to seek redress for whatever crimes have been committed against you and yours. But many deaths are laid at your feet, and you will not find solace in wanton slaughter. I give you this choice, woman - fight and die here, or stand down, and perhaps live to see those who wronged you pay without also harming the innocent."

Her hand tightens on the grip of her blade, which is loose in its sheath. She does not, in truth, expect the woman to stand down and surrender peacefully, but she has to give her the chance. None were able to give her any reasons why this witch might be slaying the merchants, and so for all she knows the woman's actions were at least partially justified... so, the chance.

But if she doesn't take it, Andra will be ready.

Using Charming as Hell [+4] to attempt to talk the witch down. If she fails, Andra will go full defensive for the first part of combat, using Doughty Warrior [+4].

Shoulda gone with my initial "let's just lob molotovs at the witch's hut from out here" instinct. Welp, that's what you get for trying to be a hero. ;)

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Alexios - Inn in Taelos

quote:

(10:57:34 PM) mood: Alexios looks at the man for a few silent moments. "I would smash Taelos' most formidable foe on the battlefield. And then, with their forces routed, I would march on their city. They would not expect it."
(10:58:09 PM) mood: "With surprise on my side, I would slaughter the defenders, and take the city in the name of Taelos."
(10:58:33 PM) mood: "After gaining control of the city, well..."
(10:59:19 PM) mood: "Resistance would have to be quashed. Enslavement works particularly well. As does crucifixion."
(11:00:06 PM) mood: "The conquered people would be made subservient to Taelos, its power-structures replaced by collaborators and Taelosian allies."
(11:00:26 PM) mood: He shrugs. "That's how I would deal with one city, at least."
(11:06:48 PM) Nenji: "If you did that every other city would rise up against you. Your own citizens would likely help them as well. People often do not care much for a tyrant." The man replies, his face unreadable and impassive.
(11:08:15 PM) mood: He nods. "I would need the support of the Council. Appearances must be kept up."
(11:09:36 PM) mood: "The people of Taelos need a taste of war, a taste of conquest. A taste of empire."
(11:11:10 PM) mood: "And alliances would need to be formed with other cities. Their constant bickering leaves them susceptible to division."
(11:21:37 PM) Nenji: "You speak of Empire, rule by a single ruler. Taeless is in name a nation but in spirit much like Arandia. Each city rules itself and is beholden to no higher ruler. You speak of alliances, but all that would do would be to usurp the current rulers and replace them with others. We may be soldiers, but will their children be, or their children's children? If that is truly what you propose all you
(11:21:38 PM) Nenji: truly seek is glory for yourself for a few decades until you die, or are assassinated."
(11:24:45 PM) mood: Alexios takes another shot. "What then, stranger, do you propose? Perhaps my vision is clouded by my Eosian birth."
(11:27:52 PM) Nenji: "If you want to be Emperor then you must become Emperor. The first Emperor was likely not a well liked man. If you want to be liked then you must make yourself better to the current rulers to the people. Making alliances with others will only end up with you fighting them to decide who will become Emperor. Commoners do not like war, for they are not soldiers, not that we much like it ourselves.
(11:27:52 PM) Nenji: If you would fight a war, make it a war they want to win."
(11:32:51 PM) mood: Alexios smiles. "I have heard that the great unwashed masses of Taeless live in desperate poverty... is this true?"
(11:39:50 PM) Nenji: "Those that are not culled to prevent plagues, yes. How would you solve that problem as well? Surely they would make an army, of weak men, but an army none the less. But you will find yourself with the same problems afterwards."
(11:40:27 PM) mood: He shrugs. "I would feed them."
(11:40:43 PM) mood: "I would give them good government, and sensible policy, removed from the interests of rich men."
(11:41:39 PM) Nenji: "Easy words to say, but harder to prove. But were you able to do so you'd earn the loyalty of all the undertrodden masses of the country."
(11:42:24 PM) mood: "Taeless is the richest continent in this world. The wealth is there; it is simply hoarded by the rich."
(11:50:40 PM) Nenji: (Taeless is a country and not a continent btw)
(11:53:45 PM) Nenji: "Do you know why the rich become the rich, and the poor become the poor?"
(11:54:09 PM) mood: "I am sure, stranger, that you will tell me."
(11:56:38 PM) Nenji: "No, I won't." He says simply. "These are lessons you should learn before you think to become King. I agree that the merchants do us no good as rulers, they see people as numbers and coins. But I will not support someone who would be a worse ruler. Go out and learn about our country and people. Gain the knowledge, if not wisdom, required to rule and then we shall talk again."
(11:56:48 PM) Nenji: The man nods to you and then begins to walk.
(11:57:03 PM) Nenji: You get the impression you haven't failed whatever test you were being given,
(11:57:10 PM) Nenji: But it seems he has high standards.
(11:58:26 PM) mood: Alexios watches the man leave, his brow furrowing. "How will I find you, once I gain this knowledge?"
(11:59:23 PM) Nenji: "I am not hard to find friend if you know where to look." He says with a laugh and continues walking.
(12/7/2012 12:00:04 AM) mood: Turning his attention back to the bartender, Alexios grunts. "Another round."

Alexios - Taelos

Several drinks later, the general stepped out into the brisk night air, his skin flushed. He'd been drinking all night, but his mind was clear, ringing with the words of the perplexing stranger with which he had spoke. He was to travel the land, to learn of its ways. It seemed cryptic, and, yet... there was something about the man's words, or the man himself. Alexios could not shake the feeling that he had to what the man had suggested. And so, flanked by Pavo, Alexios began to walk through the city of Taelos; he walked, and he walked, and as he walked, the houses grew smaller, the streets dingier, the bars more violent. If he wished to learn of Taelos, this is where he would begin his journey; deep within the slums.

Travelling to the slums; lets spend a few days there, and learn what we can about the political landscape of the city.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo (Eosia, Eisos)

Edo is initially dejected by his failure to get a permit to work in the markets. He hadn't expected things to be so hard. It was becoming increasingly clear to him that life outside of Blackwater was much more difficult than life inside it. But it was hard to stay sad, even so far from his home; at his core Edo was a fundamentally driven man, and had never taken no for an answer in his life.

Instead, the experience gave him new insight in Eisos; a city didn't have to be soaked in blood to be evil. Tyranny could come from a thousand petty insults and barriers. As for the petty market administrators, they would keep. Edo would find a way to show them.

That night, after fishing for his dinner (at least his caste gave him the right to do that without a permit!) he wandered to the market offices with chisel and hammer in his pack, expecting to find the offices abandoned and ripe for vandalism.

Unfortunately he hadn't counted on regular patrols from the guards, and by dawn he had failed to find an opportunity to do anything. It was becoming increasingly apparent that he wasn't going to be able to strike back against injustice as easily as he had thought.

Clearly a new approach was called for. So as dawn broke, he tried his lifecarving technique on himself to remove the fatigue and then began to wander through the markets, making friends with as many of the carved goods stallholders as he could and establishing a reputation as a goodhearted, honest and highly skilled lad in need of a good job in the trade. He also took the opportunity to heal the minor injuries of anyone he came across, asking for nothing in return. After all, he reasoned, it hadn't done any harm so far.

And with luck, something would come of his efforts soon.

Schmoozing the stallholders to make friends and connections in the big city, without setting himself up in competition this time. Relevant qualities:
+2 Mortal Charming
+4 Mortal Carver (focusing on stallholders in the carving business, who he can impress more easily)
+2 Divine Healing

-2 Pigheaded is almost certainly in effect because he's not going to be particularly malleable if he's told to leave.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
DeGowin - Godsheap

The tune remained, and though some changes had occurred Degowin’s mind remained sharp. “Magic.” He muttered, never a true believer before, but now...”Song, to me! Obey!” Degowin formed a trap out of the ice, pulling that haunting, spectral music into it and trapping it permanently. The ice would not melt unless Degowin willed it or a being of sufficient power forced it to.

Using Cold[+2] and Sound Control [+2] For a total of a divine [+4] to trap and contain this accursed song within the icebox. I want to call the item “Giant’s Requiem”.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Adam (Back into the Town in North West Taeless)

The foreman had always been a practical man - a quality that had drawn Adam to work for him in the first place. He may drink a little too much when he has a day off, but when it came to seeing things through and organising, there was no better person in all of Sellos. Plus, he hadn't even batted an eyelid when Adam started saying 'aye' a lot.

So he took his words to heart, thanked him for being so drat good at his job, and set about back into town. This is all you really need, he mused to himself on the road. A home underground, a nice forge, a place to work for my brothe -

He paused, mid step, dread coming across his face. The day had been so full of activity he had not considered the implications of his condition: namely, if it was heriditary. He stared in the direction of his house, his face awash with fear. What if it wasn't just him? What if his brothers had been cursed as well? They weren't due in for another two days from the capital - or longer if their legs were suddenly shorter - but what if his whole family had been turned into these... these... short.. hairy.. things? Would they be allowed to keep their house? Would people think it was contagious? Is he going to lose the only place he had ever known as home?

Suddenly, he didn't feel like going to his house anymore. What he wanted was a quiet, stiff, drink.

He changed course, then again to avoid the main roads with people on it, in order to head for the local pub. It was early enough for it to be open, and he suddenly had this uncontrollable urge to grab a keg of ale and down it in one go.

((Action: So. Going to go to the pub at the end of Day 1, and drown my sorrows with a crap ton of ale.

+2 Calm and composed: This is probably going to apply for... about... 3 minutes?
+2 Dwarf (divine): Unfortunately for Adam, Getting drunk is a hell of a lot harder to do when you have the constitution of a god...
-2 Don't want no trouble: Welp. IF there was ever anywhere in the world that would give you trouble... this would be it.))

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar (with Andra) (Arandia, woods north of Coltain, Witch!)

Still trembling with fear from her vile magics, I'm not much inclined to trust the witch. Have to admire her showmanship though. Gathering up my scattered wits I glance around the hut, looking for any sign of the missing merchants.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. We're looking for the whatever has been intercepting the traders recently, and thought you could help. If you can help us, we'd be more than happy to help you too. You say the merchant princes of Coltain have wronged you?"

Calming the Witch
M Stage Magician +2 - to be polite and friendly even though terrified

Telling if the witch is lying
M Stage Magician +2 - can't con a con man
M Tinker +4, maybe? - looking around to see if she has any loot from the missing merchants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir- Elysian Sands

Mazir saw the small change in Hatun and Zel as they still looked at him with fear. He could understand, he had killed several and taken their souls, for the weak it would probably be a slight bit intimidating.

Shrugging, he went to a crate and took out to bottles of a rare dye. They were the only two he had, but he hoped he could make more later if his magic called for it. Hatun and Zel had done well and would be rewarded. For not monetary compensation would have to suffice, but Mazir hoped he could give them something greater later.

Here he said giving each man a jar. For bringing me these three, you deserve a reward, that is a rare dye and will fetch a nice sum on the market. It's a small reward for now, but continue to serve me faithfully and I'll see to it that your rewards increase.

Now, I need to be alone for now, come back tomorrow and I'll see what we can do. Meanwhile, if you two can think of any others who might be of use to us, please bring them, the more our group can build, the stronger we can get, and the more I can reward you two.

Nodding the two men left with their bounty. Mazir then turned to the four bodies in his basement, these needed disposing of. Taking several buckets of water, Mazir soaked the ceiling above him. Clasping his hands, Mazir began to concentrate and weave a spell.

Having my two men go out and try and recruit and trying to case a spell to try and burn the bodies[//i]

[+2 Charisma] Convincing my two followers to recruit people who would be useful. Their rare dye will show that they can be well rewarded also.

[+4 Magic] Casting a spell to burn the bodies to ash, without burning down my home, I'm in a stone basement, and I soaked the wood above me so that should reduce that possibility significantly.

[+4 Intelligence] Again, precautions were taken so if this spell backfires, the chance for harm to my home is reduced.

• Locked thread