Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

LP97S posted:

I seriously don't get people who enjoy the ArmA campaigns, I can't even get through them half of the time because they're so drat clunky.
That thing you just posted? If it weren't for you specifying that it's from Cold War Crisis/Assault, "lots of their fans in the official forum" would call it too Call of Duty :rolleyes:

Again though, Gaia said that the Arma 3 campaign is supposed to have elements of Resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

LP97S posted:

I'll just repost what I said about campaigns in the ArmA 2 thread:

I seriously don't get people who enjoy the ArmA campaigns, I can't even get through them half of the time because they're so drat clunky.

Can't you say that about ArmA in general?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

A Sloth posted:

Can't you say that about ArmA in general?
Until I saw the infantry videos for this one, hell yeah!

Now, as far as protective clothing goes: When I asked about diving goggles: These next two are both from the same post as the first quote in this post. Class features?
READ FOR INSTAGOAT'S REPORTING ON THE AI AS OF GAMESCOM
To elaborate on the AI: And some final AI opinionating from InstaGoat here.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So, yeah, wouldn't it be awesome if grenades in the Arma series didn't suck? I think so, and here's a video of a concept on how it could be done better by Dslyecxi. Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGt8QbK61aE Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HylAK_biGfk

Basically, it's not rear end, and apparently a highly skilled modder with the time to do it is looking into making it a reality. :sun:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Dyslecxi outright works for BISim, which is behind VBS2, and its 2.0 upgrade (basically porting VBS2 from the Arma 1 engine RV2 to the Arma 2 engine RV3) outright uses the "arc of travel and impact point/blast radius" method seen in games like Gears of War or Metal Gear Solid 4... so I'm not surprised that the depicted grenade concept is coming from him.

By the way, Mederlock, I hope that that big post of quoting was usable for the OP? Here's another...

READ FOR INSTAGOAT'S REPORTING ON THE GEAR SYSTEM AS OF GAMESCOM Encumbrance is cooked into vanilla Arma 3: Does that mean carrying capacity accounting for "volume" and weight? Maybe:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, keep them coming man. I'm going to add a good bit of stuff to the OP, probably on Sunday, so I'll see how I can work it all in. Regardless it makes for good reading, thanks for dealing with reading the BI forums so I don't have to :cheers:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Could you include my "new inventory" screenshot OP with maybe a description? To "wrap up" my InstaGoat posting...

CONTROLS DIALOGUE It has also been said (i.e. by Ivan) in Gamescom videos that the action menu and command systems are also up for revision, although the nature thereof has yet to be even hinted at; the Supports showcase and videos were still using the number row comm menu for calling in the artillery and helicopter CAS.

And finally, the list of what's new that I posted on the first page but expanded on with what I thought were important aspects now boldfaced, and (hopefully this is real and not just speculation) InstaGoat's take on the devs' behavior as of early September before Ivan and Martin's arrests:
EXPANDED LIST OF ARMA 3 FEATURES

InstaGoat posted:

3D Editor is not cancelled, it will be carried over as-is from Arma 2. Underground structures, idk why this is important. AI canīt even use buildings properly, and you want to add even MORE useless terrain that cannot be used by anyone but the player? Helicopter flight model: this is already developed in TOH, but a lot of things have been mentioned as being in flux when I talked to dev peolpe at Gamescom. They are doing proper development: instead of tacking poo poo on that ends up half-finished like they did with Arma 2, they started with a big list and now are in the process of throwing out everything they cannot get to work as it should, to AAA game standards.

Again, they will -not- implement anything they cannot get to work without hitches and falls, and things that are already in but too difficult/time consuming to develop are being left as is (ie, 3D Editor for example.)

Now, these are things I have seen at gamescom that are implemented right now.

Dynamic stances/additional movement modes.
Weapons modification.
Personal protection gear (Bodyarmour, Helmets, Gasmasks/Glasses, Rebreathers.)
Weight modelling for all equipment, fatigue and encumberance modelling, slot limitations based on type of Loadbearing equipment.
Additional difficulty selections (Hint system, class specific HUD indicators)
New Muzzleflashes and according AI changes (Flash suppressors vs Recoil compensators vs Silencers affect AI visual/audio spotting differently as far as I was told.)
Improved AI (No new features, but completely spring-cleaned build with corrected and improved settings, as well as streamlined AI navigation and world perception. This was mentioned in a devblog too.)

Obviously, vehicle physics. Physics also affect smoke (Rotor downwash, wind, blastwaves) and will probably also be used to implement stuff like fastroping/vehicle towing.
All existing Arma 2/OA features where they have not been replaced with improved/more advanced substitutes.
Improved vehicle damage system, building on the existing one. (No penetration modelling so far, I believe.)
Performance enhancements.
Improved 2D editor with new features (briefing manager, possibly gear manager and other tools.)
New features/improvements regarding mod support.

Not to mention a brand new, OFP:R styled campaign, missions, and weīve got a fair chance of also seeing an overhauled MP, a wide range of new models, units, weapons, improved modelling for all of those too. The weapons for example use memory points for the attachments, so -any- weapon in the future will be able to take -any- attachment added to the game and allowed for use by the mission editor. I am sure the community will expand on this by adding new mounting systems that limit which sights can be mounted on which gun (Russian dovetail rails vs picatinny rail for example.), but generally, weapons packs will now only need to contain the weapons system (ie, complete rifle.) And all attachments can be added by the player. That means an M16 weapons pack will not need to contain multiple hundreds of differently configured weapons, but instead only 1 rifle for each type/weapons system setups (For example, M16A3, M16A3+M203, M16A4+Foregrip, etc) and any number of attachments, plus the native attachments from the game.

idk.

Same thing for bodyarmour, rigs, combat fatigues and helmets.
Speaking of that bit about the dev attitude and weapon attachments...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
A DEV ON ATTACHMENTS FOR A USER-MADE WEAPON Up to three attachment slots per weapon, and magazines will still look the same even if you're using a C-MAG: Then he confirms that he wants to implement a tools/tutorials pack for would-be modders for Arma 3 small arms, optics have their own eyepoints, and compares Arma 3 to Duke Nukem Forever: Then when RobertHammer (yes that RH) complains that that "arma is about weapons" and "Don't tell me that those small weapon features are waste of time", then that "I never said that those features are easy to make or add ,but they are worth to the game and mainly for future mods." and that ""ArmA 3 is still missing a proper weapon resting and proper breathing simulation", Vespa pushes back against RobertHammer despite his Internet 'fame' from his Arma 2 weapon packs in one of the best posts I've ever seen from a BI dev: I love how it's a BI dev talking about his player/modder base "obsess(es) about small things and lose(s) grip with reality" :allears:

I already posted Smookie's bit on Arma 3 pistol CQB, but I may post some more bits from him (the guy who mo-capped the majority of Arma 3 animations) if anyone else is interested.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
This is what people trying to improve PVP in ARMA have to contend with.
:negative:

As for what I promised about Smookie, there's some comments on things like how he plans to implement things such as making stepover less useless ("make sure player is no longer defence-less during stepover (gun aimed/possibility to cancel)"), while aiming down the sights will probably force you to walk just like in most regular shooters*, and this one's an oldie, but on transitioning from rifle to pistol as of post-E3 (end of June): Also, check out this Arma 3 screenshot of a Config Viewer.

I know the thread's all quiet at the moment, as has been BI since Ivan and Martin's arrests, but there was a public protest in Prague over the devs' jailing, which according to the bearded speaker guy (a dev with Warhorse Studios) was "mostly top Czech developers from Warhorse, 2K, Bohemia Interactive, Madfinger and other companies", after it was stated that the conditions had worsened for the two devs.

* I had been asking in the context of whether you could maintain a relatively high movement speed while using optics as with SMK, as well as MW3 (Stalker perk)/Black Ops II (Adjustable Stock attachment); that is, would I be able to still move at tactical pace even when aiming down the sights, the "no" to me signals that tactical pace is probably for the sake of hipfire.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Chortles posted:

This is what people trying to improve PVP in ARMA have to contend with.
:negative:
That's bizarre as gently caress. Why does he think that PVP makes all mission makers magically incapable of building anything other than deathmatch? How do you get that confused? Has he never actually played PVP in Arma before? Is he just attributing his irrational hatred of some other multiplayer shooters to all PVP ever?

quote:

I had been asking in the context of whether you could maintain a relatively high movement speed while using optics as with SMK, as well as MW3 (Stalker perk)/Black Ops II (Adjustable Stock attachment); that is, would I be able to still move at tactical pace even when aiming down the sights, the "no" to me signals that tactical pace is probably for the sake of hipfire.
This sounds really good not only for realism (you wouldn't take the time to aim through your sights in fast-paced CQC situations or the like), but also because of basic gameplay: now there's a choice between faster movement with less accurate shooting and slower movement with more accuracy.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Sniper Party posted:

That's bizarre as gently caress. Why does he think that PVP makes all mission makers magically incapable of building anything other than deathmatch? How do you get that confused? Has he never actually played PVP in Arma before? Is he just attributing his irrational hatred of some other multiplayer shooters to all PVP ever?
He's not the only one, there's a bunch of guys who've likely never played PVP in Arma before, though Mr. "PVP is entirely about ruining the experience for others" takes the cake; worse yet, I think the latter is this guy, so he's probably got at least some "name" in the community as well.

Then again, that's not the only terrible idea about PVP on the official forums by a long shot.

Sniper Party posted:

This sounds really good not only for realism (you wouldn't take the time to aim through your sights in fast-paced CQC situations or the like), but also because of basic gameplay: now there's a choice between faster movement with less accurate shooting and slower movement with more accuracy.
From one of my InstaGoat quotes, as of the Gamescom build, the Left Shift key now defaults to tactical pace instead of walk, but there's a modifier or toggle to switch between tactical pace and walk when in hipfire view; I took Smookie's answer to mean that "ADS" forces you into walk; considering that walk was described about the same as in Arma 2, running slower than in Arma 2 and "tactical pace is precisely inbetween walk and run", it does seem like tactical pace is indeed basically for any "fast-paced CQC" moments because there was no "faster movement with less accurate shooting" option in Arma 2, and the sheer amount of "optic bob" when moving (especially laterally) made it difficult to shoot on the move in Arma 2 anyway.

(For context, MW3 and Black Ops 2 had a perk and a shotgun/SMG/AR/LMG attachment respectively that partially raise the movement speed when aiming down the sights, though not faster than hipfire.)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
While the quoted PvP-haters are dumb, I must comment on the use of scoped sights on weapons. It blows. On loads of PvE missions people immediately kit themselves out with a nice sniper rifle and a good anti tank weapon. The one man army that then proceeds to camp on a hill and pick off A.I. Sure, having a sniper or two can be nice, but nothing beats going in with iron sighs.

I played Insurgency last night and while there were a couple of snipers, the majority of people didn't use em. Which lead to some great fire fights with the A.I. That's where this game really shines, RPG's and bullets flying all around in a way that even beats scripted scenes.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

While the quoted PvP-haters are dumb, I must comment on the use of scoped sights on weapons. It blows. On loads of PvE missions people immediately kit themselves out with a nice sniper rifle and a good anti tank weapon. The one man army that then proceeds to camp on a hill and pick off A.I. Sure, having a sniper or two can be nice, but nothing beats going in with iron sighs.

I played Insurgency last night and while there were a couple of snipers, the majority of people didn't use em. Which lead to some great fire fights with the A.I. That's where this game really shines, RPG's and bullets flying all around in a way that even beats scripted scenes.

Even having ACOG's or PSO's on sights making spotting enemies a very easy task, as well as making it really easy to engage them. I like the dynamic of just having reflex or iron sights, and then supplement leaders with binoculars for reconnaissance stuff, as it really shortens the reasonable maximum engagement ranges from somewhere in the 500-700 range to about 200-400 meters, which makes properly employing infantry tactics actually fun and tense.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Insurgency is really a favorite. Get a good size organized team going and then have 1-2 guys on the insurgent side and magic starts to happen. IEDs are simply the most fun :)

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
Looks like ARMA 3 has been officially pushed back to 'sometime' (my guess would be Q3/Q4) in 2013. In the meantime come play ARMA 2 with us!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
We're not even up to the community alpha and yet we already have official merchandise... skip to 2:20 for the other item (still image here) :stare:

EDIT: Raneman I don't see why you couldn't?

Chortles fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 25, 2012

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Can I still go into the editor and make gigantic militia rebellions?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

A Sloth posted:

ArmA: Cold War Assault is just Flashpoint right? Nothing ruined or changed? It is on Steam for Ģ2.09 and I'm tempted.

Don't buy it, stick with your memories. The game has aged terribly.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raneman posted:

Can I still go into the editor and make gigantic militia rebellions?

Yes, yes you can. The editor is actually basically the same as the Arma 2 one last they showed it, just with some incremental improvements to the UI and such.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Yes, yes you can. The editor is actually basically the same as the Arma 2 one last they showed it, just with some incremental improvements to the UI and such.

The biggest change was the elimination of "novice mode" and the ability to create groups larger than 12 units.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I hope 3 has more support for dynamic missions for dumb fucks like me. Sometimes I just want to have a mission where a squad or a small batallion tries to take over a certain location and kill all the enemies.

I can do this in ARMA 2, but the best I can do is make a small text pop up saying 'YOU'RE WINNER!'. Maybe it's asking too much but it would be cool...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

LP97S posted:

The biggest change was the elimination of "novice mode" and the ability to create groups larger than 12 units.
Source on this? I mean, this time around the devs seem less spergy than their forums...

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Chortles posted:

Source on this? I mean, this time around the devs seem less spergy than their forums...

I was talking about the changes from Operation Flashpoint editing to ArmA II editing, sorry.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Sure, the only news here is that Limnos got renamed Altis since "in view of recent events, the team no longer feels passionate about using the previous name, 'Limnos', and hopes that the new identity, ‘Altis’, will help emphasize the fictional nature of the game. A secondary, significantly smaller island in Arma 3, ‘Stratis’ (approx. 20 kmē), will keep its name."

We do get two new screenshots out of it, and "More precise details will be announced in February."

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I can't wait for this game. From the videos it looks like it fixes the lovely controls of arma 2 and looks much more polished.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

keyframe posted:

I can't wait for this game. From the videos it looks like it fixes the lovely controls of arma 2 and looks much more polished.
As of Gamescom, the default keybinding preset was "Arma 2 but with Ctrl now acting as a modifier for WSADQE to perform the incremental stance adjustments"... but notice how I said preset? ;)

Long quotes are long so as to include glimpses as the development mindset:

RoyaltyinExile posted:

Although I'm loathe to comment about control settings before actually providing the opportunity for people to try them (debating about it in theory rarely works; you really have to get the fingers-on-the-keys in action, as it were), I would make a quick point.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it previously, but we're aiming to introduce a set of Controls Presets - i.e. a feature that allows you to pick between pre-defined control assignments - so that we might offer some alternatives to the default set up, rather than "one-setup-to-rule-them-all" approach. While the idea isn't exactly revolutionary, it should enable us to be more flexible (e.g., supporting the 'classic' Arma 2 set up, while offering some choices/ moving toward 'industry standards' that other players may be comfortable with*).

Longer-term, though, it's cool to be able to think about more advanced functionality, such as, say, support for community-defined presets, which may be bundled with/ tailored to specific mods or game modes, etc, enabling quick switches and updates. While it's as yet WIP, generally, Presets fit in with our vision of Arma 3 as a flexible platform for official and community content; naturally, the approach has some disadvantages, but we feel they may be outweighed by the positives.
In addition to that, here's some of creative director Jay Crowe's personal keybindings:
Z: Prone/Stand
X: Crouch-toggle

C: Tactical Pace
LShift: Sprint
Spacebar: Context-sensitive action ("such as entering a vehicle as driver (which is probably the most 'controversial' choice of this personal set up)")

As far as the "disadvantages":

RoyaltyinExile posted:

The problems I'm thinking about are both high-level and technical.

An example of a high-level issue would be, say, if there is a whole bunch of different pre-sets, it can become confusing for people talking about their controls, say, in MP

quote:

Person A: "Hey man, just press Caps Lock to talk!"
Person B: "Wth... that's making me salute?"
Person A: "What? I'm using the 'Sparkle Pony' Preset, what about you?"
Person B: "Wait, what's a Preset?"
Developer J: "Ffffff"
But, yes, that's really just only about nit-picking for problems or, rather, predicting the worse, so we might better adapt to it.

From the technical point of view, there are still some fixes to the code needed to implement it corrextly. Fixes mean time, and time means effort not spent on, say, another feature which also requires attention (and there's always something else to fix). So, it's about finding a useful, appropriate balance of where we allocate resources.
And as far as "a first class treatment" for the keybindings screen:

RoyaltyinExile posted:

Sure, that's part of our general attempt to overhaul the wGUI, and our hope to display information in less clunky ways. Not sure what exactly classes as 'first class' treatment, though. :D Again, it's less about us reinventing the wheel, and more about trying to create a more sensible baseline by addressing legacy 'problems'*.

There are some simple fixes planned/in progress (such as making the name/ description of controls more semantic), some structural fixes (such as grouping controls into smaller, more logical sub-categories; e.g. 'infantry movement', 'vehicle controls', 'weapons', etc.), and some other things like adding tool-tips on hover, etc. Actually, that last one ran into some unexpected roadblock, so it seems unlikely to make it into our next build.

Best,
RiE

* The problem being, in my view, that even if the original system of displaying controls was fit-for-purpose, by - over the years - adding more and more features/ complexity to the game, whilst not thinking carefully about the effect of such features from all perspectives (e.g., 'will it need another control', 'don't you think this list is getting a bit long now?', 'ah, let's just stuff it on this key over here', etc), we dig our own 'usability grave' a litter deeper each time. :)
As for what "weapons" in that category might mean:

RoyaltyinExile posted:

Hm, think more like 'weapon handling'; e.g., fire, reload, fire mode, optics, alt-optics, zeroing, etc.

Maybe a couple of surprises, too. :cool:
Several people took "fire mode" to mean that the fire selector would finally no longer be the grenade select/cycle.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Let me just say that I think we're quite close to the alpha, but time will only tell. Soon, hopefully :v:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 5, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Let me just say that we may be quite close to the alpha, but time will only tell. Soon, hopefully :v:
Agreed, back in mid-January Jay Crowe tweeted that "we've now locked down our internal plans" and that "I was referring to our internal plans for the Public Alpha, specifically". Considering that the community alpha was supposedly to only have Stratis anyway, this announced renaming to from Limnos to Altis shouldn't directly delay the community alpha, and in his own announcement tweet about the renaming he added, "Further details to follow in around couple of weeks."

keyframe posted:

keyframe, I want to link to that "Infantry Animations and shooting" video from the OP but to the time trial that starts at 7:38.

You can also go here, here, here (with a mention of "we've already improved mouse controls allowing for much fluent and faster controls and aiming") and here (skip to 22 minutes to see the character maneuvering through a stairwell and in a confined space without the old weapon collision "snag", although it's a short SMG).

Mederlock, feel free to incorporate my earlier Jay Crowe quotes on controls into the OP as you see fit -- hell, maybe the above four links/five points in time to supplement the OP's "infantry movement/weapons handling" video? -- and if it helps, I just found this E3 2012 look at the Arma 3 inventory menu.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mederlock posted:

Even having ACOG's or PSO's on sights making spotting enemies a very easy task, as well as making it really easy to engage them. I like the dynamic of just having reflex or iron sights, and then supplement leaders with binoculars for reconnaissance stuff, as it really shortens the reasonable maximum engagement ranges from somewhere in the 500-700 range to about 200-400 meters, which makes properly employing infantry tactics actually fun and tense.

I guess that would make sense if this was about the Vietnam war or something, but for a game taking place in 2030 its silly for anyone to be using ironsights when even non combat troops have been using optics on their weapons for years now here in 2013.

edit: edit, even reflex sights were being transitioned out in favor of 4x optics as early as 2010.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 2, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Well the ArmA series has a history of extensive modding and fanmade addons so the ability to modify iron sights would be nice for any addon or mod that takes place before 2013.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

LP97S posted:

Well the ArmA series has a history of extensive modding and fanmade addons so the ability to modify iron sights would be nice for any addon or mod that takes place before 2013.

Oh ya, for mods absolutely, I just feel that there is a tendency among realism gamers to disparage the "over use" of optics in games, when it reality iron sights are going the way of the bayonet.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
In the Gamescom build I saw that when a player (I believe the other creative director Ivan Buchta, the one jailed for four months) removed the standalone reflex sight ("ACO") from his MX rifle, the model came back onscreen with iron sights already attached.

Also, the BLUFOR magnified scope ("RCO") has a top-mounted reflex sight as well -- think the MK 16/Mk 17 from OA or the HAMR Scope from Modern Warfare 3 -- but which has a smaller frame and lens than the standalone reflex sight.

For anyone who's wondering, in the second "Splendid Altis" screenshot it appears that the foremost guy is carrying the Night Vision Optical Sight, or at least an optic that uses its model (considering that this old 2011 screenshot has an EBR that uses the same optic model).

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

I guess that would make sense if this was about the Vietnam war or something, but for a game taking place in 2030 its silly for anyone to be using ironsights when even non combat troops have been using optics on their weapons for years now here in 2013.

edit: edit, even reflex sights were being transitioned out in favor of 4x optics as early as 2010.

Jarmak posted:

Oh ya, for mods absolutely, I just feel that there is a tendency among realism gamers to disparage the "over use" of optics in games, when it reality iron sights are going the way of the bayonet.

Reflex sights are superior for CQB, you're not going to want to use the tiny backup reflex on an ACOG unless you really needed too. The funny thing about what you said regarding 'realism gamers' is that those who are milsim 'realism gamers' are going to be the ones that want the optics for the reasons you cited (the military mostly switching to ~3-4x sights, etc). Using irons or reflex sights is for the sake of making the gameplay more fun for the players involved (ie. actually having the chance to see the enemy that just killed you, instead of it being some dude in a bush at 700m with magnified optics) , not for sticking to the ~realisms~ and immersion~

edit: Chortles - When the big announcement comes out this month I'll completely overhaul the OP with the info you've provided and any new information that we become privy too in the near future.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 3, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Reflex sights are superior for CQB, you're not going to want to use the tiny backup reflex on an ACOG unless you really needed too.
So far I think that that's just the "RCO" equivalents this time around, though it'd be interesting if both the NVOS and the Sniper Optical Sight from that customization picture have the iron sights as their CQB sights... seeing as that's how ACE did it (or in the case where the model didn't have iron sights, using a "look over the top of the optic" as the point of aim) before OA officially implemented made over-and-under CQB optics part of RV3.

Mederlock posted:

edit: Chortles - When the big announcement comes out this month I'll completely overhaul the OP with the info you've provided and any new information that we become privy too in the near future.
Sounds like a plan, though honestly I would add those "time points" and links to the infantry/shooting links in the OP simply so that people can see some particularly notable points... I mean, blasphemous as it sounds, some of that had me thinking "third person COD?"

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Man, ArmA has always been the one game that makes me wish I had a powerful enough PC to blast it on full settings. Something about how they model their landscapes and lighting, even in ArmA2, looks so badass. I love watching stuff on YouTube like CHkilroy where it's night and the headlights illuminate stuff in such a satisfying way. Can't wait to watch some YouTube movies of ArmA3.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

causticBeet posted:

Can't wait to watch some YouTube movies of ArmA3.
Dude, watch those links I posted for infantry movement/weapon handling!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chortles posted:

So far I think that that's just the "RCO" equivalents this time around, though it'd be interesting if both the NVOS and the Sniper Optical Sight from that customization picture have the iron sights as their CQB sights... seeing as that's how ACE did it (or in the case where the model didn't have iron sights, using a "look over the top of the optic" as the point of aim) before OA officially implemented made over-and-under CQB optics part of RV3.
Sounds like a plan, though honestly I would add those "time points" and links to the infantry/shooting links in the OP simply so that people can see some particularly notable points... I mean, blasphemous as it sounds, some of that had me thinking "third person COD?"

You know what, I'll take the 10 minutes and do that.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Interestingly enough, some people found that Arma 3 Alpha has been in the Steam database (CDR) since December 20, 2012, though of course the Steam store and Hub pages just redirect to the Steam storefront, and this is the new thumbnail for Arma 3's Steam Official Group in one's Official Groups listing, though its own page has the normal Arma 3 logo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So what has been happening with our Czech friends stuck in the Greek gulag? Last news I heard (mid-Nov 2012) was that they'd been in jail for 70 days and the president had personally appealed to the greek president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hadlock posted:

So what has been happening with our Czech friends stuck in the Greek gulag? Last news I heard (mid-Nov 2012) was that they'd been in jail for 70 days and the president had personally appealed to the greek president.

Apparently they're back home on bail for now.