Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Well you can probably order using the web browser if the site isn't flash based.

I need a prompt after every game level: Do you want pizza - yes/no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

e;fb

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
You ate all the pizza! Do you have a motto or war cry inspired by this pizza?

(POST TO MIIVERSE) (MAYBE LATER)

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

netBuff posted:

The main problem is that headphone users are left out in the cold, as there are no (virtual) surround heapdhones with HDMI input (AV receivers with Dolby Headphone/Silent Cinema are often not capable of driving high-impedance phones). Add to that the fact that AV receivers add additional input lag to the signal.

The lack of full range HDMI signal support is also pretty unforgivable, but something Nintendo will probably patch in later.

Bwuh? DDLive encoding necessarily adds lag to the signal in the first place (for Rock Band it's advised to turn off DD output from the 360 due to this fact). Also a person owning high-impedance headphones is very likely to already own an independent headphone amp due to having high-impedance phones and needing to deal with outputs from normal devices.

It would certainly be nice to have the ability to support audio from the AVMulti connector at the same time as video over HDMI the way both the PS3 and 360 can. And it's almost certainly for cost reasons that the only Dolby the WiiU supports is Pro Logic. I don't think an optical port was ever in the cards, though, for more than just cost reasons.

I'd say the thing that surprises me most about the full-range color is that so many TVs apparently come set to expect it in the first place. I don't necessarily assign any blame on this to anyone, it's just surprising.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

parasyte posted:

Bwuh? DDLive encoding necessarily adds lag to the signal in the first place (for Rock Band it's advised to turn off DD output from the 360 due to this fact). Also a person owning high-impedance headphones is very likely to already own an independent headphone amp due to having high-impedance phones and needing to deal with outputs from normal devices.

It would certainly be nice to have the ability to support audio from the AVMulti connector at the same time as video over HDMI the way both the PS3 and 360 can. And it's almost certainly for cost reasons that the only Dolby the WiiU supports is Pro Logic. I don't think an optical port was ever in the cards, though, for more than just cost reasons.

I'd say the thing that surprises me most about the full-range color is that so many TVs apparently come set to expect it in the first place. I don't necessarily assign any blame on this to anyone, it's just surprising.

I'm referring to video lag, which is the main problem with TVs and AV equipment nowadays. Audio lag is pretty much unnoticeable when talking about Dolby Digital encoding.

And yes, I do own a headphone amp, but my Dolby Headphone equipment requires a Toslink input for multichannel audio, which is impossible to feed due to the Wii U's lack of DD 5.1 encoding. But in the end, I don't think it will matter much (NintendoLand and NSMBU don't seem to support surround output anyway, according to other forums posts).

netBuff fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 30, 2012

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
32Gb versions are trading for $385 now on EBay. Almost zero markup.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Samara posted:

32Gb versions are trading for $385 now on EBay. Almost zero markup.

You can get one in stores in most places.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

netBuff posted:

I need a prompt after every game level: Do you want pizza - yes/no.

Better yet, the system automatically orders pizza every hour, unless you go into the home menu and specifically cancel each individual order. The home button LED glows red when you only have five minutes left to cancel your order.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Never post in this thread again or I will destroy you with my magic buttons.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Got mine today in New Zealand and have spent about 5 hours trying to get it to even see the internet.
I think I got sold a bunk LAN adapter, but I did learn how to make my iMac a wifi hotspot. That's an awesome thing.
The update is going fairly quickly, though I suppose that's all to do with the demand now being nothing like US day 1.

edit: Oh yeah. I read the head of Scribblenauts guy saying sorry the game wouldn't be out anywhere outside the US till 2013, but it was totally there in my store.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 30, 2012

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gendo posted:

I didn't know surround headphones were a thing.

I don't think I'd like to hang out with someone who has surround headphones.

It works out well if you have roommates or bitchy neighbors.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Got mine. Five more hours until I can playpatch it. Australia is certainly not in a frenzy like the Wii's release day.

Anyone in a non-US place able to confirm yet if I can be internet friends with people from other regions? I want to kill goon zombies.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Re: A/V cables, HDMI ain't the best choice for everything. For instance, I (and most others that played it) had to switch to component to be able to play Rocksmith without lag. Those aren't exactly outdated yet, but there are legitimate reasons not to use HDMI out there despite how convenient it is.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You know, people would be less inclined to write you off as an anti-Nintendo troll if you didn't say things like this.

But no, it's okay, you're buying a Wii-U so that's license to whine and be angry anyone would reply with common sense.

The only guy I actually tore into came at me first without actually reading my reply while making asinine jabs, sooooo... Also, in this thread everyone with a difference of opinion is written off as a troll regardless, it seems.

And yeah, the beauty of discussions threads is that you can discuss your opinion no matter how people with poor reading/humor comprehension may consider it "whining and being angry" despite actually making valid points and doing it without anger. But I don't post to make you feel better, so oh well.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Assuming the newer GPU/architecture does give the WiiU a slight edge on the 360/PS3 Nintendo could end up in a weird place where they have the most powerful home console on the market for at least a year and possibly even 2. (assuming a late 2014 release for ps4/720).

The perfect situation for Nintendo would be they are only relatively under powered for 3 years (based on the usual 5 year cycle) until their next console which they again should be able to have the slight edge without pushing the boat out.

Also I am hoping gearbox did a decent job with the WiiU version of Aliens: Colonial Marines and that gives us our first taste of what the system can do comparatively.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I asked this before, but is there a way to manually change the screen size on the TV??

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

FanaticalMilk posted:

I asked this before, but is there a way to manually change the screen size on the TV??

Apparently not, if it's what the guys on the Giant Bombcast were taking about. Supposedly some televisions have a scaler that will fix your problem, and others just don't. You're seeing poo poo being cut off on the home screens, right?

Think the Wii U just does some of that on its own for some reason.

E: Guess you're using a 4:3 display set? Googling "wii u display size cut off" brings up several discussions on forums about it.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 30, 2012

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

FanaticalMilk posted:

Should be able to adjust the display size output in the system settings.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Rawrbomb posted:

Should be able to adjust the display size output in the system settings.

I believe he's talking more about overscan, which is not adjustable.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Long John Power posted:

Also I am hoping gearbox did a decent job with the WiiU version of Aliens: Colonial Marines and that gives us our first taste of what the system can do comparatively.

Yeah, of all the known upcoming cross-platform games that's the one I have the most hope for. Gamepad as a motion sensor with the lights out could be super creepy if it's done well.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm pretty sure I did something in system settings that changed the size of the picture, since the edges were being cut off in Miiverse. Lemme check...

EDIT: You can change it in Miiverse, at least! But I don't think it applies to anything else.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 30, 2012

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

Apparently not, if it's what the guys on the Giant Bombcast were taking about. Supposedly some televisions have a scaler that will fix your problem, and others just don't. You're seeing poo poo being cut off on the home screens, right?

Think the Wii U just does some of that on its own for some reason.

E: Guess you're using a 4:3 display set? Googling "wii u display size cut off" brings up several discussions on forums about it.

No, it's 16:9 with HDMI and yeah parts of the WaraWara Plaza are getting cut off like the Zoom buttons and the X-button icon that lets you change what's being displayed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mailer posted:

Got mine. Five more hours until I can playpatch it. Australia is certainly not in a frenzy like the Wii's release day.

Anyone in a non-US place able to confirm yet if I can be internet friends with people from other regions? I want to kill goon zombies.

I'm pretty sure you can be friends with anyone in the world. To test you can try to add people from the Nintendo Network ID thread.

Like me! I have lots of zombies for you to kill. TrainDubs

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

FanaticalMilk posted:

No, it's 16:9 with HDMI and yeah parts of the WaraWara Plaza are getting cut off like the Zoom buttons and the X-button icon that lets you change what's being displayed.

Some TVs have options for turning off overscan (usually called Native mode, 1:1 mode, or Just Scan mode) but if yours doesn't, I'm pretty sure you're out of luck until Nintendo decides to patch it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Older HDTVs apparently have this issue - mine's the same. I can change widescreen settings for cable and DVDs, but not Wii U. Come to think of it I haven't tried BluRay which is an HDMI connection, so perhaps it's an issue with HDMI in general and not Wii U.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

FanaticalMilk posted:

If you tried what the other posters said, try getting into your tv's menu and look for "picture mode." Try changing it to a "Game" setting if it's available. Might turn off overscan and any processing effects your tv has enabled.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Long John Power posted:

Assuming the newer GPU/architecture does give the WiiU a slight edge on the 360/PS3 Nintendo could end up in a weird place where they have the most powerful home console on the market for at least a year and possibly even 2. (assuming a late 2014 release for ps4/720).

The perfect situation for Nintendo would be they are only relatively under powered for 3 years (based on the usual 5 year cycle) until their next console which they again should be able to have the slight edge without pushing the boat out.

"most powerful" by such a slim margin as to be pointless, though, and it's going to be outclassed in a big way in a year or two. In order for this off-cycle updating to be a positive thing, they need to make much larger leaps forward with their consoles - releasing a "next-gen" console with current-gen power parity is assuredly not a good thing from a sales perspective. This also discounts other developments in hardware, most notably the absolute cratering of SSD prices that's going on right now - the other two next-gen consoles will probably have 128 or 256gb SSDs for storage media, which will make the Wii's 8 or 32gb memory storage (with additional SD cards) look pretty bad by comparison.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

amaranthine posted:

releasing a "next-gen" console with current-gen power parity is assuredly not a good thing from a sales perspective.

Yeah, because that really blew it for the Wii...

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Oddly enough, it looks like the system outputs a bit of underscan when in Wii mode. I have a black border about 20-30 pixels wide when playing Wii games unless I turn 1:1 mode off.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Storage prices soon to plummet, you say? Man, if only Nintendo had made a design decision encouraging the consumer to acquire their own storage at market value...

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Gotta post this somewhere - cover for the final issue of Nintendo Power:

Homage to the very first issue in 1988:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
That's fantastic, I'll definitely pick up a copy of that. I've still got the first 50 issues stashed away somewhere.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Negatives can be outweighed by positives, you know.

(although I don't think the Wii U has the same sort of accessibility that endeared the Wii to casual gamers and non-gamers, so they may need to find something else)

Supercar Gautier posted:

Storage prices soon to plummet, you say? Man, if only Nintendo had made a design decision encouraging the consumer to acquire their own storage at market value...

Yeah, I'm sure people are enthused about having to buy an external hard drive exclusively for their console because it allows them to... have freedom of choice? As opposed to providing adequate storage at below market prices, which would just be silly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Supercar Gautier posted:

I still don't understand people complaining about the price of the console. It's decent for a new console. At $299 that's around what you pay for consoles these days (Walmart has a deal where you can get a 360 with Kinect for $99 if you agree to pay for an X Box Live Gold subscription for two years, which equals like $350) and $350 gets you Nintendoland.

The console itself might be comparable to the 360 and PS3 (which means its priced fairly) but the Gamepad itself does far more than what the 360 or PS3 controller does and creates a much different gaming experience. For $299/$349 it's easily worth it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

amaranthine posted:

This also discounts other developments in hardware, most notably the absolute cratering of SSD prices that's going on right now - the other two next-gen consoles will probably have 128 or 256gb SSDs for storage media, which will make the Wii's 8 or 32gb memory storage (with additional SD cards) look pretty bad by comparison.

They'll also have 3 SLI'D GTX790s, octo-cores and cost under 500 dollars.

quote:

It's not the same situation at all. The Wii was a souped up gamecube while the 360 could produce HD visuals, handle advanced shaders, physics, things that require high amounts of processing power (hundreds of NPCs, huge worlds, etc.) all of which were impossible on the Wii. This isn't even mentioning that the Wii had very impractical controls that were a complete bitch for developers to figure out.

If the next xbox and PS4 have significantly more power than the WiiU, it'll be used for small details and better performance, but it won't be anything that will kill third party support or make ports impossible.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 30, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

amaranthine posted:

Yeah, I'm sure people are enthused about having to buy an external hard drive exclusively for their console because it allows them to... have freedom of choice? As opposed to providing adequate storage at below market prices, which would just be silly.

Are people honestly still arguing in favor of force-formfactor proprietary internal drives when, during Wii U development, the price of hard drives and consumer market confidence were at lovely levels? Because that's what it looks like you're doing here.

I'm perfectly happy with a 1TB Toshiba external drive with great anti-corruption mechanisms that could fit in my wallet that I just picked up for $60, because I can almost guarantee it's of superior manufacture and capacity than what I would've otherwise had.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Are people honestly still arguing in favor of force-formfactor proprietary internal drives when, during Wii U development, the price of hard drives and consumer market confidence were at lovely levels? Because that's what it looks like you're doing here.

I'm arguing that a console should come fully assembled.

I do not think that an 8GB console (realistically, a 3GB console) that essentially mandates an external hard drive fits that description.

Also, I'm arguing that memory cards should die the merciful death they deserve.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

amaranthine posted:

I'm arguing that a console should come fully assembled

It is fully assembled. You don't need an external hard drive to use it. You only need it for downloading games and if you want to download games, go buy an external hard drive. Where the price for a 2TB hard drive in 2012 will be much, much less in 2018.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

amaranthine posted:

I'm arguing that a console should come fully assembled.

I do not think that an 8GB console (realistically, a 3GB console) that essentially mandates an external hard drive fits that description.

Also, I'm arguing that memory cards should die the merciful death they deserve.

If I fill up my 250gb 360 hard drive, which I have, my only option is to use flash drives and/or pay $120 for the 320gb hard drive which I either have to swap with my old hard drive or settle for an extra 70gb of space. How is this better when on the Wii U I can have over 1tb of space for a fraction of the cost?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Basic Wii U only mandates an external hard drive if you plan to be downloading games. If you don't, then that space will be enough for your save data. A lot of folks in Nintendo's blue ocean crowd aren't going to consider acquiring games on anything other than a disc.

And if Nintendo wants to and the pricing and the math works out to their satisfaction, they're perfectly capable of putting out a third SKU with more storage (or even phasing out the existing SKUs in favour of a new set). Maybe down the road they'll decide to put out a red Wii U with 128 gigs of storage and some future hot title as a pack-in. There will be literally nothing preventing them from doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
C'mon now, let's not be disingenuous and suggest that the problem with memory cards was going out to buy them.

edit: Does anyone else remember that Diablo 1 port for the Playstation? The save file took up 10 blocks. Out of 15.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 30, 2012

• Locked thread