Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
az
Dec 2, 2005

I've looked over the weapons list and some guns like the DA50 say they unlock by being purchased from a vendor. Does that mean they'll eventually show up over time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Speedball posted:

That was a pretty good stream, Cardboard Box. Thanks.

You're welcome! I'm a bit out of streaming practice so I maybe stumbled over myself more than I would've liked, but it was fun. :)

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Orv posted:

I think... I hope that's intentional.

Well, he's a spoiled rich kid. Platinum cards, remember? Perhaps he knows up, down, left, and right better than NESW without a compass on an unfamiliar island?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Orv posted:

I think... I hope that's intentional.

Considering how they modeled his hair and face it's definitely intentional. He's not some rough badass like his older brother, he's just a dumbass kid caught up in a bad situation.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking of mildly irksome things (still loving the game otherwise), I don't like that I can stealth an outpost and the Rakyat will roll in and be all "Hey man, good job killing a bunch of dudes, but if you really want to help you should look at the bulletin board. :smug:"

Shut up guy.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Orv posted:

Speaking of mildly irksome things (still loving the game otherwise), I don't like that I can stealth an outpost and the Rakyat will roll in and be all "Hey man, good job killing a bunch of dudes, but if you really want to help you should look at the bulletin board. :smug:"

Shut up guy.

They also take credit for your work by saying things like "this was all me."

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, since my DVD drive gave up the ghost a few weeks back I'll be getting the digital version of the game. Is the Deluxe Edition worth the extra bucks for the bonus missions?

Also, since I'm a scandinavian goon, is Greenmangaming the best choice if I'm looking for a decent price?

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 30, 2012

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, since my DVD drive gave up the ghost a few weeks back I'll be getting the digital version of the game. Is the Deluxe Edition worth the extra bucks for the bonus missions?

The unique knife from one of the DLC packs in the Digital Deluxe edition is a one-hit kill knife.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Adraeus posted:

The unique knife from one of the DLC packs in the Digital Deluxe edition is a one-hit kill knife.
Does that include the heavy jerks? Can you takedown them with that knife? :raise:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

When I was watching the GB quick look of this game, I was worried that I'd be really brad at the driving. I ended up completing that buggy challenge the first time around.

Also, I am loving the ever-loving-poo poo out of this game. Everything feels organic. Gameplay-wise, the gunplay surpasses Syndicate.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gibbed posted:

Does that include the heavy jerks? Can you takedown them with that knife? :raise:

I haven't played that far! Also, I'm talking about non-takedown knife attacks. Every normal bad guy I've rushed head-on died instantly to a single slice of the knife.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I swear to god if Citra is Vaas' sister I'm going to be, really just, disappointed in video games for a while. :smith:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

gibbed posted:

Probably not. I haven't tried it since I can never resist either one-hit killing them with the flare gun or getting that sweet sweet headshot XP but bears and tigers take multiple strikes with it.
e: Just tried it, they take 2 swipes to kill with it.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 30, 2012

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KongGeorgeVII posted:

One mission in and I can't help but think the protagonist is a babbling retard.

I can't help but find the protagonist and his friends all sort of annoying and I end up wishing you could play through the game as Vaas, because let's be honest that seems like it would be a lot more fun.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Every character in this game is boring and whiny and the unskippable cutscenes force me to listen to every terrible line.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Yeah after hearing the name "Riley" mentioned a few times my friends and I concluded that we're basically playing as Ed Wuncler III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvNPRpFHRi8

Driving over dudes and exploding jeeps while going "I'm rich bitch!" gets you in the right groove.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The protagonist is really awful, but part of me thinks that's the point. But that part of me really only thinks that it should be the point, and in reality the game seems to be playing it straight with him and his friends. At least, at first.

Does the main character ever stop getting so incredibly squeemish about skinning animals? It's utterly ludicrous that he'll massacre a small army with zero objections and then when he goes to skin a deer, he's all "ewww!!! Gross!!"

I feel the everyone but the protagonist and his friends are pretty good characters, though. Their lines are pretty well written and well voiced, and Vaas makes for a really good villain.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Just beat it, I skipped like 50% of the content because I was interested in the story. I gotta say at the end it gets into some heart of darkness level poo poo. More so than usual anyway.

quote:

Does the main character ever stop getting so incredibly squeemish about skinning animals? It's utterly ludicrous that he'll massacre a small army with zero objections and then when he goes to skin a deer, he's all "ewww!!! Gross!!"

Later on it just turns into "eugh". I think Jason is great, honestly. He gets more and more hardened and sociopathic as the game goes on, but still hangs on to some of his humanity. He's basically what would happen if a listless nerdy loser discovers he's actually a super alpha male.

:ssh:You get to decide if he gives in completely or not.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 30, 2012

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I feel the everyone but the protagonist and his friends are pretty good characters, though. Their lines are pretty well written and well voiced, and Vaas makes for a really good villain.

Well, I disagree. I think the protagonist and his friends are good characters with well-written dialogue and good voice performances. They're naive, innocent Californians in a bad situation, which is explicitly part of the narrative. It's almost like you guys didn't watch the intro. As a San Diegan, I'll say that these characters are perfect imitations of affluent city-dwelling 24/7 party people.

Once you go through a few missions though, the protagonist starts to transform. Listen to everything he says, as well as how he says what he says, during the "rescue my girlfriend from a burning building and escape through the jungle" mission. To me, he sounds incredibly excited by the whole affair, and his girlfriend reacts to that. You can tell that he's going to get a bit scary by the end.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Massacring a small army and skinning animals are two very different things. You can probably find battle-hardened veterans who would be a bit squeamish about ripping the guts out of an animal carcass with their bare hands.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Adraeus posted:

Well, I disagree. I think the protagonist and his friends are good characters with well-written dialogue and good voice performances. They're naive, innocent Californians in a bad situation, which is explicitly part of the narrative. It's almost like you guys didn't watch the intro. As a San Diegan, I'll say that these characters are perfect imitations of affluent city-dwelling 24/7 party people.

Once you go through a few missions though, the protagonist starts to transform. Listen to everything he says, as well as how he says what he says, during the "rescue my girlfriend from a burning building and escape through the jungle" mission. To me, he sounds incredibly excited by the whole affair, and his girlfriend reacts to that. You can tell that he's going to get a bit scary by the end.
A few missions after that when you go to Badtown
You get given a flamethrower by some CIA guy and told burn a whole bunch of weed crops. He LOVES it. Even after the mission when you fetch your next one he says how fun it was.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Orv posted:

I swear to god if Citra is Vaas' sister I'm going to be, really just, disappointed in video games for a while. :smith:

Uh...Hate to break it to you but they mentioned that in PREVIEWS for the game. They decided to make it a secret all of a sudden?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Overflight posted:

Uh...I'm pretty sure they mentioned that in PREVIEWS.

Vaas also calls Citra his sister the second time you meet him. Vaas says that he's going to kill his sister just like he killed Jason Brody's brother. They're not very close, apparently.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Vaas and Citra look completely different though, and if you look at Citra's file in game she has a different last name. I suspect they're adopted brother and sister.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Please, someone tell me why we buy games again when the DRM only fucks us over while pirates are able to play, hindrance free? Getting sick of this "can't connect to server" poo poo, then my game completely fucks up.

Other than that, the game is great and most definitely GOTY material. But gently caress DRM. Seriously.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr Scumbag posted:

Please, someone tell me why we buy games again when the DRM only fucks us over while pirates are able to play, hindrance free? Getting sick of this "can't connect to server" poo poo, then my game completely fucks up.

Other than that, the game is great and most definitely GOTY material. But gently caress DRM. Seriously.

Put UPlay into offline mode.

I think the OP really needs to be updated. Cardboard Box?

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 30, 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011

Overflight posted:

Uh...Hate to break it to you but they mentioned that in PREVIEWS for the game. They decided to make it a secret all of a sudden?

Adraeus posted:

Vaas also calls Citra his sister the second time you meet him. Vaas says that he's going to kill his sister just like he killed Jason Brody's brother. They're not very close, apparently.

I managed to miss that somehow. I also somehow didn't hear Vaas' explicit mention of it. I just gleaned it from his rant before setting the motel on fire and her reaction when you mention your own brother. Went about it the hard way, I guess. Or I'm an idiot, either or. :downs:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Vaas and Citra look completely different though, and if you look at Citra's file in game she has a different last name. I suspect they're adopted brother and sister.

Both of their surnames are Montenegro and while they don't look exactly alike, they do favor each other (mostly the eyes and the nose). Skin color differences happen often in families, too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Post came, no Far Cry 3. Dammit! After reading this thread I really want to start playing. :argh:

Anyone tried the map creator yet? What does it offer over the FC2 editor?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Adraeus posted:

Put it in the OP in nice bold letters.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cardboard Box posted:

Put it in the OP in nice bold letters.

How about these, too?

PRO TIPS:

• If you will be playing only the single-player campaign, put UPlay into offline mode by clicking your account name in UPlay and selecting "go offline." Otherwise, if the UPlay servers go down, the game will crash and/or become unplayable.

• To run the game with Steam closed, create a shortcut to farcry3.exe or farcry3_d3d11.exe with following parameters:
    code:
    -uplay_steam_mode -language=English -steam_mode
    Run the game from the shortcut. If you unlocked the game early, you will need to run the game with this shortcut until the release date.

• If you purchased the Digital Deluxe edition through Steam, you will need to unlock the Digital Deluxe edition content in the game. Steam must be running and online. UPlay must be online. Once at the main menu, go to Extras and select "Exclusive Content". You will be asked for a code. Enter your Digital Deluxe edition CD Key exactly as provided.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Adraeus posted:

I want to do that, but couldn't shake the feeling that I'd somehow miss out on some kind of feature or that the cloud would do some weird poo poo and overwrite my save when it went back online or something.

If that isn't the case, then offline it goes.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So yes when you do unlock a second tier of weapons eventually through the story missions. Unfortunately they are more or less crappy compared to their signature equivalents. The signature vectrix (SP?) is the best gun i have seen yet. Its silenced, accurate and does a lot of damage.

The M4 absolutely useless since it has 3 customization slots, except to customize your options are 4 scopes, and extended mag. Except you can't have more then one scope :confused:

You also get a wingsuit with an attached parachute :black101:, which makes traveling SO MUCH BETTER.

Hunting is pretty much useless after you craft all your upgrades, there are barely any animals on the second island.

I still don't know what the white crafting herbs are for. I don't have any recipe that uses them yet, and apparently i have collected all the recipes, according to the handbook :confused:

Other misc things:
- You can blow up cracked walls with C4
- You get a tanto for a melee weapon for collecting 8 letters, and it is amazing. Better then the deluxe edition knife.
- AMR Signature Sniper Rifle shoots armor piercing rounds and will take out heavies in 1 shot.
- Chain takedown a heavy and you get an insane amount of exp
- Completing 5 Trials of whatever gets you access to the ripper heavy machine
gun.

Also What the gently caress is going on? I don't understand anything that happened with vass, i killed him in the werid dream sequence. But he stabbed me with the blade i gave her? Also how the gently caress did he know i was coming?

I also don't get how jason basically became all gently caress his friends. It would make more sense if he told his friends something along the lines of getting even with Hoyt. But not "I am happier here".

Also i am amazed if people got up in arms about mass effects sex scenes, when you have jason getting raped by a half naked chick on a temple altar while everyone stares at them.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Adraeus posted:

How about these, too?

Done.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I want to do that, but couldn't shake the feeling that I'd somehow miss out on some kind of feature or that the cloud would do some weird poo poo and overwrite my save when it went back online or something.

If that isn't the case, then offline it goes.

You'll miss out on leaderboards for challenges, and I think uPlay achievements, if you care about that. I'd turn the uPlay cloud off, either way--I've heard it can be unreliable.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 30, 2012

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cardboard Box posted:

You'll miss out on leaderboards for challenges, and I think uPlay achievements, if you care about that. I'd turn the uPlay cloud off, either way--I've heard it can be unreliable.

Oddly enough, you can still earn Uplay rewards and achievements with Uplay offline.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Okay, great. There's literally no downside to it then.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
That extra mission you can get with your uplay points is utter poo poo BTW. Run through a ruin shooting animals, whee. That's it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Where are the saves stored? I feel like an idiot, I can't find them.

halwain
May 31, 2011
so the ending when you join citra is kind of hosed up :psyduck:. I'm surprised that their isnt already some controversy online if you compare it to other sex scenes in games (there are probably just not enough videos of the ending floating around the internet)

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

cat doter posted:

Where are the saves stored? I feel like an idiot, I can't find them.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\your user GUID\46

Or wherever you installed UPlay to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Hahahha what the hell i literally just played the mission from san andreas where you burn weed crops with the truth except set to a skrillex song

• Locked thread