Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I hadn't crashed any for the first 8 or so hours but now I've crashed 3 times in the last half hour. GPU/CPU temps are normal. Hopefully something weird hasn't gotten in my save as all 3 times have been in safe houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008
I've never tried any of the Far Cry series before this one, read the review in metacritic and I thought, "hey sounds pretty good, was about to sell AC3 anyways"

Solid-rear end game. They really struck a nice balance, which would've been easy to miss, what with between all the open-worldness FPS, stealth or blow poo poo up, exploration, tons of goddamn looting, missions and side quests etc. It's got a decent enough story to justify all of it too. It feels like there are little things they left in and out so that you can just enjoy the game, but without feeling like it's too easy.

The AI is nice and the enemies' detection system is "generous", but sometimes almost too much so. They could see me barrelling in a rickety rear end car about 80 yards from them, see me get out, hide in a bush and after 3 seconds their suspicion dies out and just walk past me like they've seen nothing out of the ordinary. But meanwhile, I could get on top of a rock 200 yards from them at night, plink some dick on top of a roof with a silenced sniper rifle and all the guards beneath him who cannot see the guy I just killed look in my general direction with guns raised, suspicious but not fully alarmed. I guess I'm asking for a little bit more consistency between the AI's audial and visual senses.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Are there any mods that make the game harder? it is way too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bloodmobile posted:

Collect 10 more relics so you can get the recipe that makes all your guns spew instant kill bullets, that makes the invulnerability completely worthless in comparison.

From the sounds of things, this game is taking the Saints Row 3 style inverse difficulty curve approach, right down to invulnerability and insane instant kill buffs.

pootache82
Nov 6, 2010
So the Ubisoft store in the UK still says the game can be pre-ordered but not bought/downloaded.

Can anyone suggest a decent alternative to Steam in the UK for purchase and download or one that just sells keys ?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Capn Beeb posted:

I take the little two door compact cars offroading so much. Just drifting around cliffside goat paths, engine banging off the limiter, whaaammwhamwhamwhamwhamvroooom :rice:

Be sure to go careening through the wooden guardrails on a bridge and go tumbling down into the water with one of those if you haven't yet. The first person car crash/water effects are really something else.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

myshl0ng posted:

Are there any mods that make the game harder? it is way too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

Yeah I picked hardest difficulty thinking it would be rough, but it feels like Hard is the Normal.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So I have been hearing a lot about this game from the different magazines and reviews saying how amazing it is. And it seems like from this thread goons really like it too. But what really separates this game from the other island open world shooters out there?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From the sounds of things, this game is taking the Saints Row 3 style inverse difficulty curve approach, right down to invulnerability and insane instant kill buffs.

Yeah, but the problem is it's already piss-easy to begin with, even at hard. The only challenge comes from trying to completely stealth outposts.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I have been hearing a lot about this game from the different magazines and reviews saying how amazing it is. And it seems like from this thread goons really like it too. But what really separates this game from the other island open world shooters out there?

Good grief maybe read the thread? Watch some videos? Make up your own mind up??
What the gently caress else can be said?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Why yes we must know what unique features this game has to separate from that crowded genre of island open world shooters.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Hakkesshu posted:

Has anyone had more optimization successes? I also have a 560ti and an i5, and the game doesn't run anywhere near as well as I think it should. I have installed the beta drivers, but I still have to go down to DX9 and turn post-FX to low before it gets acceptable and even then I get a bunch of microstuttering.

Edit: The guy getting 60 FPS on a 5770 definitely makes me think something's wrong here.

Try running in DX9 mode, i couldnt see much difference apart from the AA options being disabled.

I have a 4.6 ghz i7 with 8gb and a 570gtx and it runs pretty well at ultra/dx9, and the micro stutter is not there mostly(sometimes a little in some locations).

DX11 however stutters on most higher settings, taking shadows down to low is about the only way to solve the issue.

I cant really see much difference quality wise between them in game - certainly not enough to justify the performance hit of dx11.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Jesus christ wasn't asking to stir some poo poo, I was just hoping to hear some opinions and ideas. The thread is good but is generally more of a "Whoa this cool specific thing" or "Awesome (vague praise)".

Jeez, just wanted to know.

Also I hate reading through threads because of spoilers.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Jesus christ wasn't asking to stir some poo poo, I was just hoping to hear some opinions and ideas. The thread is good but is generally more of a "Whoa this cool specific thing" or "Awesome (vague praise)".

Jeez, just wanted to know.

Also I hate reading through threads because of spoilers.

Oh, the praise is too vague? That's the problem? Ok, someone answer his question.

'What separates'

Not vague or obtuse. No. Not at all.

(btw we're not being defensive it was just a dumb question)

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

myshl0ng posted:

I'd say the difficulty is pretty nice if you don't use any syringes or takedowns after you reach the second island, just breeze through the piss-easy first island to get to the real fun.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
Perhaps our collective sugar levels are too low.

Dont worry everyone, I will double my coffee sugars to compensate.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Have they fixed the horrendous aim? All I can remember about FC2 is unloading about a thousand rounds from a machine gun into a group of men in a car at point blank range and not killing any of them.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

HTJ posted:

Have they fixed the horrendous aim? All I can remember about FC2 is unloading about a thousand rounds from a machine gun into a group of men in a car at point blank range and not killing any of them.

Virtually everything that was bad about Far Cry 2 they've fixed.

This is Far Cry 2, but a million times better.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I posted about this earlier and finally solved it. If you have an nVidia card, make sure in nVidia control panel, 3d settings, that Antialiasing - Mode is set to Application controlled in global settings. Mine was on 4x and I don't remember ever setting it to that, so it might be a default.

Didn't work. Thanks though.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Damone posted:

Sure, my Ubisoft handle is DamoneTI. Anyone is free to add me for multiplayer/co-op shenanigans.

Couldn't find you on uplay, but googling DamoneTI led me to your steam account. Sent you a friend request.

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Umm I just killed a shark with a bow and arrow?

Edit: :black101:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ScienceAndMusic posted:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Other companies should definately start taking notes. This is how you do sidequests. :black101:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

and

catpowerd posted:

Umm I just killed a shark with a bow and arrow?

Edit: :black101:

Thanks guys, day one purchase for me!

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Imagine if this game had the mod system present in Bethesda games. :negative:

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Imagine if this game had the mod system present in Bethesda games. :negative:

Sharks with tits :quagmire:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed in this game, even though I'm enjoying it a lot. Gameplay-wise, the only point of comparison I'd give to FC3 over FC2* is that the checkpoints stay cleared and that there are more frequent fast-travel points. FE: Oh, and getting the collectables is more fun.

I miss the buddy system. Not that the buddies were any great shakes as characters, but they allowed the player to catastrophically gently caress up without having to reload (or respawn a km or two away as in FC3). Their existence encouraged playing recklessly and taking advantage of the more outlandish weaponry.

Occasionally having to kill the buddies (or abandon them) because they'd gotten injured too many times when they helped me out actually affected me more than character developments in FC3**, because we'd actually done things together in a less-scripted fashion. They'd saved my life, I'd saved theirs, over and over again, and that builds a relationship of sorts (or they pissed you off and you enjoyed killing them for wasting your time, as Tom Francis did. Incidentally, Clint Hocking - lead developer of FC2 - pops up in the comments to explain design decisions/fuckups, which is rather interesting).

The restriction of guns to certain slots encouraged new playstyles whenever I got a weapon I really wanted to try (have to get rid of my RPG for the dart rifle? Guess I'll switch out my silenced pistol for the M-79. Even if I still had a stealth weapon and an explosive weapon, the weapons handled very differently).

I really liked weapon degradation, because it allowed for limited previews of cool weapons I could get later (and weapon fuckups were sometimes really funny, as with the RPG plopping on the ground next to you).

I'm disappointed that FC3 decided to skimp on the number of first aid animations, but I rarely see them anyway, so to the extent they cut that for other animation work it was probably the right decision.

Continuing in the vein of really petty complaints, I liked breaking the peace in the neutral cities of FC2 and fighting my way back out and am sad that FC3 takes that ability to cause chaos away.

FC3 does a ton right. It's just that the stuff I'd praise is mostly new or not gameplay related (the radio tower segments, the far better voice-acting, racing and other time wasters, etc).

*I need to play FC2 again to see if I'm remembering it too fondly, of course.

**FC3 characters are generally better-written and universally better-acted, though.

Attention Horse posted:

Sharks with tits :quagmire:

Crafting system to increase your female PC's cup size!

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 1, 2012

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
double-post.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

Crafting system to increase your female PC's cup size!

Spiky violet anime hair for Vass.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ah man a 3 gig patch right from the off? I'm itching to play.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Jippa posted:

Ah man a 3 gig patch right from the off? I'm itching to play.

Pretty sure it's just 300 mb, not 3000 mb.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Attention Horse posted:

Pretty sure it's just 300 mb, not 3000 mb.

Ah maybe, I think the servers are so slow it's going to take the same time though. I've been waiting 10 minutes and it's on 7%.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
The fall damage in this game is whacky.

Jump while running down a dirt road angled at a slight decline and my wrist is instantly broken on impact. 10 seconds later my loving thumb is snapped at a hideous angle because I hopped down 3 stairs.

:downs:

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
I can't tell if leaping into rivers and oceans to fight crocodiles and sharks mano-a-mano with my tanto is playing it right or wrong.

Although crocodiles WILL grab you while you're still in the air. And it's awesome.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

cat doter posted:

Why yes we must know what unique features this game has to separate from that crowded genre of island open world shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPvCuc1_mgM&t=183s

Finlands Sexiest
Feb 26, 2007
Amazing game, love it. There should be different buttons for looting enemies and changing weapons with dead bodies, it's frustrating sometimes.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Hotwire posted:

I can't tell if leaping into rivers and oceans to fight crocodiles and sharks mano-a-mano with my tanto is playing it right or wrong.

Although crocodiles WILL grab you while you're still in the air. And it's awesome.
:cry::hf::black101:
You're playing it a way I never could, bodies of water more than a couple of inches deep scare the crap out of me. Best I can do is ram sharks with a jetski or shoot them with a bow from the safety of my boat.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This waiting is killing me. 45 mins and we have downloaded 150 megs.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
Uplay is such a silly service.

When I bought AssRev, I couldn't play for days because the server was down.

Today, the server is down again.

Do they have scheduled times for when we can play their games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm really enjoying just loving around in this game, more so than in 2, it really feels like an improvement overall. Being set on a tropical island like Far Cry doesn't hurt either.

Anyone getting really bad screen tearing though?

• Locked thread