Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
scottus
Jul 31, 2012
Has anyone tried any of the silicon/rubber glove things for the Gamepad that are on the market right now?

Any good ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

scottus posted:

Has anyone tried any of the silicon/rubber glove things for the Gamepad that are on the market right now?

Any good ones?

I'm sure they're all decent but from the Youtube drop tests I've seen the Gamepad was built to take a beating. I'm not sure it's something you need to spend money on, and if dropped pads become a major problem I fully expect Nintendo to send out free sleeves like they did with the Wiimote silicone covers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

scottus posted:

I've got a Hive one that came with my system (JB Hifi bonus pack in thing). Haven't bothered to try it, yet. I'll give it a go later tonight and report back.

scottus
Jul 31, 2012

CubsWoo posted:

I'm sure they're all decent but from the Youtube drop tests I've seen the Gamepad was built to take a beating. I'm not sure it's something you need to spend money on, and if dropped pads become a major problem I fully expect Nintendo to send out free sleeves like they did with the Wiimote silicone covers.

Yeah, I've dropped mine once and it was fine, though it gave me QUITE the scare. To be honest, I just kind of like the aesthetic of having a case on it. Naked Wiimote's look so ugly to be without a sleeve after having the Black sleeved Wiimote+ for so long now.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, it just went down from something really horrible like a 35% chance to like a 10% chance, which is still really bad. There's a one in ten chance your 300+ dollar machine will go "gently caress this poo poo" and die.

I guess the take-away is that new hardware will often have issues that get ironed out, although the time until resolution varies.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
My friends and I just played 5 player Nintendoland for 2+ hours. Luigi's Ghost Mansion makes an excellent drinking game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

scottus posted:

Yeah, I've dropped mine once and it was fine, though it gave me QUITE the scare. To be honest, I just kind of like the aesthetic of having a case on it. Naked Wiimote's look so ugly to be without a sleeve after having the Black sleeved Wiimote+ for so long now.

Can't wait to see a sequinned/bedazzled Gamepad case.

Also can't wait for the Holiday 2012 Broken TV 'Cause a Gamepad Flew Through It pictures that will start popping up on local news after Christmas. Provided the local news knows what a Wii U is.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

scottus posted:

Yeah, I've dropped mine once and it was fine,
Mine was literally thrown, angrily, to the ground. Not by me, mind, but it happened. It's perfectly fine.

Gendo posted:

The 360's failure rate is now basically the same as the PS3. This seems like a silly console warrior discussion tangent.
For what it's worth, as somebody who never owned or played a PS3 or 360, the comparisons are interesting to me in terms of what a marketplace can stand. I was worried that any regular failure would doom the Wii U. Knowing that there's a system out there that failed regularly before hardware revisions and didn't fail as a consumer device is worthwhile information for me.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 2, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Enjoying ZombiU, pretty neat, loving it. Then I died and went back to my corpse to kill it and get my poo poo back, but every other zombie respawned and I just immediately died. loving bullshit.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

DigitalDud posted:

Pretty impressed that the Wii U does Linear 5.1 PCM when you select the surround sound option. It's so bizarre seeing high-end stuff like that on a Nintendo console.

I can't seem to get the 5.1 to work. HDMI goes into my Sony KS360S, which according to the manual supports it, but all I ever get is 2.0 sound.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

LividLiquid posted:

Mine was literally thrown, angrily, to the ground. Not by me, mind, but it happened.

Did you punch him?

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

BioTech posted:

I can't seem to get the 5.1 to work. HDMI goes into my Sony KS360S, which according to the manual supports it, but all I ever get is 2.0 sound.

I have the same problem too, even Netflix comes out as 2.0 and can't be even forced into Dolby Pro Logic II.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Sire Oblivion posted:

Enjoying ZombiU, pretty neat, loving it. Then I died and went back to my corpse to kill it and get my poo poo back, but every other zombie respawned and I just immediately died. loving bullshit.

If it's any consolation, this happens less and less as you progress through the game, I found. I finished it tonight, and towards the end my stash had so many flares and various guns in it I had a full inventory of "OH poo poo!" stuff at all times.

The final areas I played like Rambo though, and I ended up still not having enough. Overall it was a good game, but every time I ventured out of the safehouse it was nerve-wracking. I guess that's a plus for some people! :haw: The sense of tension the game creates, especially when you have to backtrack, is ridiculous. I only wish it could've seen another few months of development - it could've been something really amazing, instead of just good.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So when do you suppose the first of the inevitable Wii Classics HD titles will hit the market?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

BioTech posted:

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I have the same problem too, even Netflix comes out as 2.0 and can't be even forced into Dolby Pro Logic II.

Turn on Surround Sound in the console options. Then slap your hand on your forehead accordingly (like I did).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Darke GBF posted:

If it's any consolation, this happens less and less as you progress through the game, I found. I finished it tonight, and towards the end my stash had so many flares and various guns in it I had a full inventory of "OH poo poo!" stuff at all times.

The final areas I played like Rambo though, and I ended up still not having enough. Overall it was a good game, but every time I ventured out of the safehouse it was nerve-wracking. I guess that's a plus for some people! :haw: The sense of tension the game creates, especially when you have to backtrack, is ridiculous. I only wish it could've seen another few months of development - it could've been something really amazing, instead of just good.

I love the atmosphere the game creates and the interactions with the gamepad are great, but there's some dumb-rear end design choices that I can't agree with. Also, it shouldn't take more than 2 whacks to do a zombie in with the god drat bat.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I asked earlier what the big deal was with Miiverse - well, I just set up a Nintendo account for my daughter (for 50¢), and she spent about 6 hours with it.

She apparently gets it. In fact, that's all she played this weekend. Not my collection of thousands of games. No, she sat in Miiverse, drawing stuff, commenting, replying to people, Yeah'ing stuff, checking out the people that Yeah'd her drawings, etc. She loves tablets and drawings, so she was eating this stuff up.

She loaded up Nintendo Land and was upset that the Miis walking around weren't really "there" like other online/social games (Second Life, PlayStation Home, etc). She was hoping to actively chat with them. She has to settle for the "simple image-based bulletin board" which is Miiverse (which also describes 4chan).

Unrelated - is Tekken Tag Tournament 2 any good? IGN actually said the Wii U version was the definitive one to get (compared to the 360 & PS3 version). I have just about every other Tekken game (all on PS1/PS2/PS3). Should my next one be on the Wii U? Does it play as well as the others? Are there issues with graphics, performance, load times, controls, online, etc? (compared to the PS3/360 version)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Unrelated - is Tekken Tag Tournament 2 any good? IGN actually said the Wii U version was the definitive one to get (compared to the 360 & PS3 version). I have just about every other Tekken game (all on PS1/PS2/PS3). Should my next one be on the Wii U? Does it play as well as the others? Are there issues with graphics, performance, load times, controls, online, etc? (compared to the PS3/360 version)

I have it on PS3 and it's brilliant. The only negative I've heard for WiiU is that it doesn't reach full 720, but the resolution fluctuates on all versions depending on how many characters are on screen and you never notice when it's reducing, so it shouldn't really be an issue.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Republicans posted:

So when do you suppose the first of the inevitable Wii Classics HD titles will hit the market?

At the rate at which 3D Classics are hitting the 3DS, probably a day or two after I buy my first flying car.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hitze posted:

That's true, I've just never heard LPCM referred to has "high-end"

It is if you've only ever owned Nintendo consoles (not me) or your sound system is about 8 years old at this point (me). :(

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Since this is the unofficial Nintendo discussion thread... anybody else receieve their Platinum Club Nintendo rewards recently? I just got my playing cards in the mail yesterday, pretty nice! I was surprised that they were kind of transparent which is different than the original photo they posted of them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I got mine the other day and was pretty impressed by the quality. Still would be nice to get a more unique gift for platinum status though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

I got mine the other day and was pretty impressed by the quality. Still would be nice to get a more unique gift for platinum status though.

What's the deal with Platinum status anyway? I've heard it mentioned a few time in the thread.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Xenomorph posted:

It is the same game on the other systems, including all the DLC. Only difference are a few gimmick modes which are fun, but not the main attraction. If you love Tekken you will love this game.

The slowdowns I encountered are when it shows the teams before the fight starts. There is some marquee text at the bottom giving hints, which you can fast forward by holding A. It never goes fluently if you try that, the text just jumping back and forth, stopping and jerking. Same with the "GET READY FOR THE NEXT BATTLE" thing before you see the portraits, it is supposed to show up gradually but it lags and is suddenly there. Some of the introductions aren't synced, especially Eddy will start his taunt, but his lips only move half way in and keep on going when he stops speaking. The menu also feels a bit unresponsive, it will only go down 3 times when you press 4 as if it doesn't receive the commands. Note that this is all before the fight starts. Game itself runs perfectly.

Ranking Online in EU is barren at the moment, it takes minutes to find a match and I never played against anyone less than 5 ranks above me. My second game ever was against a Grand Master or Master with a 90% win rate on 100+ games. Fun. Yesterday I basically fought the same 3 players all over again. An Eddy/Tiger guy who just mashes forward ababababababab, a solo Lili Master who absolutely destroys me and a French Mica guy with Kazuya/Marshall Law who is slightly better than me and we ended up 3 to 5 before I quit.

Friendly online is better, especially since you can choose to fight the opponent again. There are more people, but you can still expect to spend a minute or so beating up Mokujin before the fight starts.

I like that it shows you the opponent's connection on a scale of 1 to 5 and then you can still choose to decline. Haven't played other fighting games online so I don't know if this is the standard. Never play against anyone with less than 3 is my advice. A 1 means the game is a slideshow, with stops in between moves lasting seconds. Tried it 3 times now after I got tired of spending 5 minutes waiting, but it is just impossible. Haven't had a 2 but 3 is without any issue or lag.

I really hope more people will start to play online soon.

There are some issues where forward on the gamepad keeps being read as forward-up and I jump instead of walk. Happens about 3 times per match and is really distracting since it will cost you a good combo. At first I thought it was my own fault, but with the Pro controller I never have this issue and it also doesn't happen when I am on P2 side and move left. Could still be my fingers, but I doubt it.

In short; if you bought all other Tekkens and like the series you should get this one. There are some issues, but nothing that affects the game much. If you can wait a few weeks before playing online there will hopefully be more players.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Any updates on when they're launching Nintendo TVii?

scottus
Jul 31, 2012

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Any updates on when they're launching Nintendo TVii?
Something tells me we'll have to wait for the JP Launch on the 8th

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
As I understand it, Virtual Console games are not available for play on the Gamepad. I'm fine with that. I'm going to get a Wii U in the next couple of weeks but since there isn't that much out for the console just yet aside from NSMBU that interests me and I have actually never owned a Nintendo home console of my own, what I want to know is 1) is the virtual console "feature" still up already at this point for purchases, 2) if so, do these purchases (let's say, just hypothetically, Majora's Mask for example) show up in the Wii U main menu like an "integral" part of the system, and 3) since the Gamepad isn't available for these games, can they be played with the Pro controller or is the Wiimote required? Come to think of it, has anybody here really had any experience with downloading stuff from the Virtual Console on the Wii U yet?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fabulous Knight posted:

As I understand it, Virtual Console games are not available for play on the Gamepad. I'm fine with that. I'm going to get a Wii U in the next couple of weeks but since there isn't that much out for the console just yet aside from NSMBU that interests me and I have actually never owned a Nintendo home console of my own, what I want to know is 1) is the virtual console "feature" still up already at this point for purchases, 2) if so, do these purchases (let's say, just hypothetically, Majora's Mask for example) show up in the Wii U main menu like an "integral" part of the system, and 3) since the Gamepad isn't available for these games, can they be played with the Pro controller or is the Wiimote required? Come to think of it, has anybody here really had any experience with downloading stuff from the Virtual Console on the Wii U yet?

1) On the wii shop channel of wii mode, yes
2) No
3) Wii controllers only

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
They won't show up on the Wii U menu, you will have to launch Wii Mode, which turns it into a Wii. You won't be able to use the Pro controllers since the Wii does not know about them, it's literally a Wii (you won't even get the benefit of all the space your Wii U has). You will have to use a Wiimote or a Classic Controller. Yes this console has far too many controllers for it. Until the virtual console for Wii U comes out (if ever).

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The virtual console is completely locked behind the Wii mode (which shows up a a "channel" in the Wii U menu) and you can't use any Wii U accessories with it. You're stuck using Wiimote and nunchuk or buying a classic controller. Basically just ignore it, you'd be wasting money.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Fabulous Knight posted:

The answer to all of your questions is that VC stuff is tied to the Wii "channel" within the Wii U system and essentially turns your Wii U into a Wii for all intents and purposes. Because of this, you're tied to using Wii controllers (Wiimote, nunchuk, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro... but not the Pro Controller).

As such, VC games do not show up in your Wii U system (if you want to think about it like a file system, it would be Wii U > Wii > VC) except when in the Wii "channel" I mentioned above. But the Wii shop is still up and you can make VC purchases... do note that you have to buy points and all that jazz.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

If they ever do eventually migrate the virtual console, I wonder if they'll let you redeem keys and stuff for your Wii games for the updated ver-ahahaahahah this is Nintendo I forgot.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Right. Sounds like I'm going to hold out on VC purchases for now, then. Thankfully the system has BC so I can still play all of the Wii titles I missed out on, Mario Galaxy and DKCR might as well be Wii U launch titles for me.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's the deal with Platinum status anyway? I've heard it mentioned a few time in the thread.

You get coins for registering your games and systems with Club Nintendo, if you register enough to get 600 coins before the end of a given year (each year ends on June 31, I think?) you get Platinum status and get a special gift the December that follows.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

But the Club Nintendo in Japan gets all the really cool prizes :argh:

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I love the atmosphere the game creates and the interactions with the gamepad are great, but there's some dumb-rear end design choices that I can't agree with. Also, it shouldn't take more than 2 whacks to do a zombie in with the god drat bat.

Are there seriously no melee weapons besides the cricket bat? I could have sworn I saw fire axes and other stuff in early trailers, but every review talks about how much you have to use the bat. I want to appreciate the survivalist aspect, and I know "ZombiU is not L4D/Dead Rising/CoD Zombies," but I can see that getting monotonous real quick.

I just really wanna use that fire axe

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

In the biggest cocktease in gaming, you actually do get other items like that and a hammer and so on. They're only used in context specific areas to pry open stuff/whatever though instead of as weapons. I can never agree with that. They needed to make the cricket bat kill anything with like two hits if it's only going to have one animation and be your only melee attack. Overall I think the game is really good and I enjoy it a lot but this is the biggest flaw of the game. Can't wait for ZombiU2.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
There should be more weapons with different properties for ZombiU2 and maybe weapons that break. Imagine being out of bullets and your cricket bat breaks.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They need to copy the beer bottle weapon from Burning Fight and Streets of Rage wherein the attacks/properties of a given weapon change the more you use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

There should be more weapons with different properties for ZombiU2 and maybe weapons that break. Imagine being out of bullets and your cricket bat breaks.

I would be happy with weapon durability and also if they just cribbed as hard as possible from System Shock 2 in every aspect of gameplay.

Rereading this post it comes off like sarcasm. It is not.

• Locked thread