Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

^^^ I want it. :stare:

God, what's up USPS? :( I have one more package for my giftee before I can send everything. I ordered the last thing on the 25th, got a tracking number the next day, and it still hasn't arrived and the number isn't even showing anything except "Manifest Ack". The rest of their stuff has been sitting here for over a week now.

Has anyone gotten their gift yet, or sent their stuff off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Still waiting on one item to arrive before I wrap everything up and send this bitch out... I have to get mine out soon because I'll be in Orlando starting next week.

(To my Santa: I'll be setting up USPS and UPS holds, so unless you're a crazy person and send it FedEx, we should be good)

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

I'm sending out tomorrow. I really wanted to make a big deal out of it, but it turns out that the SARGSSee already had most of the games to make it a reality.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
On the subject of tip videos. Here's this brilliant parody of the "How to Beat Home Video Games" series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBcnl3h2alw
:nws: for Custer's Revenge

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I'll send my gift out when the last items arrive this week, but I am starting to think that I am the only guy here who followed the $50 rule. I picked up cool stuff but some of you make it seem like you're shipping out stuff worth hundreds of dollars and I am worried I'll disappoint my santee now. :(

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Katana Gomai posted:

I'll send my gift out when the last items arrive this week, but I am starting to think that I am the only guy here who followed the $50 rule. I picked up cool stuff but some of you make it seem like you're shipping out stuff worth hundreds of dollars and I am worried I'll disappoint my santee now. :(

poo poo son. You mean my "Still Sealed NHL '95" isn't good enough?!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Katana Gomai posted:

I'll put it like this... I *spent* $50 on gifts, but that doesn't mean that I don't have scads of extra :retrogames: poo poo around that I'm going to throw in the box as well.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

zenintrude posted:

I'll put it like this... I *spent* $50 on gifts, but that doesn't mean that I don't have scads of extra :retrogames: poo poo around that I'm going to throw in the box as well.

It's the same for me, although I wouldn't exactly describe it as "scads", more like bits and pieces I am throwing on top. It just seemed to me that some people are going overboard.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Katana Gomai posted:

It's the same for me, although I wouldn't exactly describe it as "scads", more like bits and pieces I am throwing on top. It just seemed to me that some people are going overboard.

I think because it's the first one and we are a pretty friendly little community on here. To the point where I'm considering the possibility of a get together some time next year.

I honestly would not worry. I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to get butt hurt because "I SENT $80 WORTH OF STUFF* AND ONLY GOT $40 IN RETURN". It's not the spirit.

That said, if someone sends a box of utterly worthless tat they will be spending another :10bux: come January.

midge fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 4, 2012

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
I just drove out to the desert and dug up a bunch of old copies of "E.T." - they're CIB!

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
HyperSpin is a loving nightmare, but I always recommend it to people who have OCD when it comes to game collecting so they'll suffer as I did when I put my setup together.

I'm 2/2 so far.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Technowrite posted:

HyperSpin is a loving nightmare, but I always recommend it to people who have OCD when it comes to game collecting so they'll suffer as I did when I put my setup together.

I'm 2/2 so far.

Is there a way to just install just Genesis and SNES? That way you won't be tempted to Pokemon the drat thing? I would assume the romsets and artwork are final for those in terms of US releases?

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

midge posted:

Is there a way to just install just Genesis and SNES? That way you won't be tempted to Pokemon the drat thing? I would assume the romsets and artwork are final for those in terms of US releases?

That's the problem. You start out with just SNES and Genesis, but then you start seeing other setups with MAME, Neo Geo, and even Virtual Boy. By then, it's too late and you have begun to download Channel F ROMs.

But yeah, you can make it just for Genesis and SNES. You can add or remove as many consoles as you want.

EDIT: This guy made an NES PC with HyperSpin and just NES ROMs. It's a sample of how precise the software can be to suit your needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl9J9r1x0bs

Technowrite fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 4, 2012

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Technowrite posted:

That's the problem. You start out with just SNES and Genesis, but then you start seeing other setups with MAME, Neo Geo, and even Virtual Boy. By then, it's too late and you have begun to download Channel F ROMs.

But yeah, you can make it just for Genesis and SNES. You can add or remove as many consoles as you want.

EDIT: This guy made an NES PC with HyperSpin and just NES ROMs. It's a sample of how precise the software can be to suit your needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl9J9r1x0bs

I can see a bunch of value in having a setup like the "Steambox" posted earlier, that also serves as a Hyperspin and HTPC. That's a ton of saved space in a small apartment and a ton of functionality.

Edit : Jesus christ it looks beautiful. I feel like I'd spent 80 man hours getting it all working then the rest of my days just browsing around ala Netflix syndrome.

midge fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 4, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

zenintrude posted:

I spent about $50 on my stuff but I only have one neat little extra to throw in and I don't know if my giftee would even like it, but it makes a neat collectible. I don't own at all any neat things like posters or random fun retro gaming stuff like that or I'd throw more in.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

midge posted:

I can see a bunch of value in having a setup like the "Steambox" posted earlier, that also serves as a Hyperspin and HTPC. That's a ton of saved space in a small apartment and a ton of functionality.

Edit : Jesus christ it looks beautiful. I feel like I'd spent 80 man hours getting it all working then the rest of my days just browsing around ala Netflix syndrome.

I'd be super selective in what consoles to choose from. As previous posters said, there's not a lot of helpful documentation out there in getting HyperSpin to work just like this video. It seriously took me almost two months to get my HyperSpin system working exactly like I wanted. It probably didn't help that I went whole hog and downloaded ROMs for the NES, Super NES, Genesis, Master System, Sega CD, Sega 32x, MAME, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, and Atari 7800.

Managing all the media for that (box art, clips of each individual game, and wheel art) is maddening. Hell, I suggest buying a separate hard drive just to toss all that stuff on to.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I downloaded all the videos and folders and just finally set up the emulators and roms behind it when I wanted to actually try that system. That way I get to browse as much as I wish while spreading out the work.

Guess what, 3DO emulation is kinda bad!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Technowrite posted:

I'd be super selective in what consoles to choose from. As previous posters said, there's not a lot of helpful documentation out there in getting HyperSpin to work just like this video. It seriously took me almost two months to get my HyperSpin system working exactly like I wanted. It probably didn't help that I went whole hog and downloaded ROMs for the NES, Super NES, Genesis, Master System, Sega CD, Sega 32x, MAME, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, and Atari 7800.

Managing all the media for that (box art, clips of each individual game, and wheel art) is maddening. Hell, I suggest buying a separate hard drive just to toss all that stuff on to.

Please tell me there's a torrent or something for at least the one's bolded. Not the roms obviously but I want to make this as simple as possible and have zero idea where to even start.

Does Hyperspin include the emulators or have "suggested" ones or what? I remember using ZSNES long ago but how would that even work correctly?

I'm lost.

vvvvvv EDIT: How much? I don't mind donating something reasonable for all the work that must've went into it. vvvvvvvv

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 4, 2012

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

Please tell me there's a torrent or something for at least the one's bolded. Not the roms obviously but I want to make this as simple as possible and have zero idea where to even start.

Does Hyperspin include the emulators or have "suggested" ones or what? I remember using ZSNES long ago but how would that even work correctly?

I'm lost.

I have no idea if there's a torrent for all that mess, but there's an FTP for the videos and the extra art that you have to pay money to get access to. It's a giant pain in the rear end, but it looks awesome when it's done.

There are "suggested" emulators for HyperSpin that they don't include in the package. I'm sure there's a good reason for that.

Start here for all the video clips: http://emumovies.com/forums/index.php/page/index.html

As for the the wheel and box art, check the HyperSpin forums.

Technowrite fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 4, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hyperspin has a paid account that gives you access to an application called HyperSync, which, when paired with a paid emumovies account giving you FTP access for game preview movie downloads, will do all of the heavy lifting for the Hyperspin frontend visuals. Getting both of them will run you something like $90 (one will give you a discount to the other, you have to message someone in their forums) and is for life.

Some of the media isn't perfect, though. There are nicer frontend files than the ones HyperSync will give you in some cases; the preview video for the PlayStation console is actually a glitched encode that sends HyperSpin into a panic if you hover over it for more than a minute.

Once this is done you will have to drop in the ROMs themselves, and configure all of the emulators. You configure Hyperspin using ini files, both for the main interface, and for each individual console, which will tell it the path to the emulator you use (and any relevant commandline switches). All Hyperspin does is when you select a game, it'll do a Windows run command of "[Emulator path + switches] [ROM path]" using the info you give it.

Once this is done, you can further edit the ini files if you want to do things like edit out certain games (by either deleting or commenting them out) or even entire consoles. HyperSync is smart enough that you can tell it to only download media for stuff you actually have, which is kind of important since all of it is something like 200 gigs. Of course, if you mess around with these files and then update them it'll gently caress up your copies, so you'll definitely want backups once you have things nice and sturdy.

I think emulators can be a bit hit-or-miss on how well they'll cooperate with HyperSpin; I think PlayStation emulators, for example, are kind of fussy since they generally won't let you open ISO files directly, you have to mount them with Daemon Tools (which I think HyperSpin can interface with).

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 4, 2012

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

My secret Santa is done. I really just need to find time to hit a post office.

On the bright side, my last minute additions led me to find a cheap copy of Legend of the Mystical Ninja for SNES for myself. I've always wanted to give this a shot :3

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

fatpat268 posted:

Awesome, it'll be in the mail tomorrow.

It came yesterday so last night my SNES had a meeting with Dr. Dremel and it can now play Super Famicom games. Huzzah! Seems like a cool game. Thanks!

I actually got my Santee's gifts yesterday, tested them out, almost kept one :ninja: but decided I could just order another for me. I'm going to pack it up later tonight and ship it off tomorrow! I think he'll like it considering it's basically exactly what was asked for. If you don't then I'm sorry I'm a horrible failure and I ruined your Christmas :sassargh:

tvb posted:

I just drove out to the desert and dug up a bunch of old copies of "E.T." - they're CIB!

I would take this if they came with a video of you digging them up.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Hmmm that's actually kind of a lot of money for something that sounds like a mess. Maybe I'll look into pretty frontends for each emulator and just do it individually.

Thanks a ton for the info!

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

The Joe Man posted:

Hmmm that's actually kind of a lot of money for something that sounds like a mess. Maybe I'll look into pretty frontends for each emulator and just do it individually.

Thanks a ton for the info!

Dealing with individual frontends gets old and stupid very fast.

XBMC with the Advanced Launcher plugin may be a saner option.

It's not super flexible, for example, you can't have one game run with a different emulator without adding another launcher. My solution to that is to pick one emulator that works with everything I care about the drat the rest.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
Anyone following the libretro project?

The developers are taking emulation cores from the most popular/accurate emulators and turning them into libraries. These libraries all have identical feature sets and accept standardized parameters.

Right now, there are a few ugly 'frontends' here and there and it doesn't give you a very good impression of what's possible, like, say, hooking these up to XBMC.

Right now, at best, XBMC can only 'launch' another program, and restore itself when the program closes. But imagine, playing SMB3, then pressing the Home button on your remote control and having the XBMC UI seamlessly appears over it (like the EPG on your digital cable box, or like XBMC already does with videos and music visualizations). You queue up a different playlist, then press the Home button again to return to your game.

gently caress.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

I'm sending mine out this weekend, there's still room in the box and I want to make sure its just jam packed with fun things. I'm having feelings of gift inadequacy, since I'm definitely way under the $50 limit. I wasn't able to order anything online (and I can't now since I have to ship it by this weekend or risk running out of time before the deadline :ohdear:) so I'm hoping to find a few more things around town before then.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Technowrite posted:

It probably didn't help that I went whole hog and downloaded ROMs for the NES, Super NES, Genesis, Master System, Sega CD, Sega 32x, MAME, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, and Atari 7800.

Mine runs MAME (arcade), 3DO, Angry Birds (full PC set), Sega Model 2, Sega 32X, Sega CD, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, PSOne, PS2, Daphne (laserdisc games), Super Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo 64, TurboGraphx 16, and TurboGraphx CD. Total data set for my Hyperspin + Emulators + Videos is around 2.3TB.

I have a platinum membership for Hyperspin and Emumovies, so that helped with the artwork. I still have a number of hours in tweaking the theme and locating videos that aren't auto-sync'd.

Was it worth the time? It has been for me. The kids love playing all the old games without having to bug daddy to hook up "system XXX". I have it in my Bar Room which also makes it popular with adults during my regular parties.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ShankyMcStabber posted:

Mine runs MAME (arcade), 3DO, Angry Birds (full PC set), Sega Model 2, Sega 32X, Sega CD, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, PSOne, PS2, Daphne (laserdisc games), Super Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo 64, TurboGraphx 16, and TurboGraphx CD. Total data set for my Hyperspin + Emulators + Videos is around 2.3TB.

I have a platinum membership for Hyperspin and Emumovies, so that helped with the artwork. I still have a number of hours in tweaking the theme and locating videos that aren't auto-sync'd.

Was it worth the time? It has been for me. The kids love playing all the old games without having to bug daddy to hook up "system XXX". I have it in my Bar Room which also makes it popular with adults during my regular parties.

What kind of controller do you have hooked up?

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
The main panel is a 4 player setup with 8 buttons for players 1/2 and 4 buttons for players 3/4. I also have a Trakball, Spinner, and 2 light guns. The sticks and buttons all run through an IPAC4 USB interface, which also removes the annoying multikey press issue that most USB Keyboards have.

For games that have analog sticks (PSOne, PS2, N64) I have 2 Afterglow PS3 controllers. They are pretty easy to map in the emulators and I like the Blue/Red LEDs for giving the arcade some pop, especially with my Artwork not finished yet.

You can see better photos here: http://s287.beta.photobucket.com/user/amrathe/library/Arcade%20Build

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
Geeze, now you guys have me kind of worried about this gift exchange. I had always thought of "secret santa" type gifts as relatively small things, and I don't want to disappoint my giftee. So far, I've got two inexpensive things they've specifically asked for, plus a small bit of original early 90's Nintendo swag and that's it. I really hope I DON'T get a massive box of collectibles.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I just found the best wrapping paper for my secret santa gifts. :allears:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Anyone following the libretro project?

The developers are taking emulation cores from the most popular/accurate emulators and turning them into libraries. These libraries all have identical feature sets and accept standardized parameters.

Right now, there are a few ugly 'frontends' here and there and it doesn't give you a very good impression of what's possible, like, say, hooking these up to XBMC.

Right now, at best, XBMC can only 'launch' another program, and restore itself when the program closes. But imagine, playing SMB3, then pressing the Home button on your remote control and having the XBMC UI seamlessly appears over it (like the EPG on your digital cable box, or like XBMC already does with videos and music visualizations). You queue up a different playlist, then press the Home button again to return to your game.

gently caress.

They used the wii port for a charity run a few months ago. Interesting. Though the gx stuff did similar and looked better.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So I bought myself an old PSX with a parallel port on it.
Now if one wanted to play import games on it, I know there are those GameShark dongles for it.

Would this be the best thing to get? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS1-PlaySta...=item3f1fb84e56

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

RadicalR posted:

So I bought myself an old PSX with a parallel port on it.
Now if one wanted to play import games on it, I know there are those GameShark dongles for it.

Would this be the best thing to get? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS1-PlaySta...=item3f1fb84e56

Probably. Just remember they don't have anywhere near 100% success rate (In fact a lot of newer games just won't work with them)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

I just found the best wrapping paper for my secret santa gifts. :allears:

You can literally make my gift actual wrapping paper FYI

Space Harrier posted:

plus a small bit of original early 90's Nintendo swag

You've already done more than enough (no lie).

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

EMS is fast yo

Should be here by friday at the latest.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I'm looking at getting a 32X for my Model 1 Genesis/Model 2 Sega CD setup. First of all, does the 32X even work with the Model 1 Genesis? What all cables and adapters are necessary to connect it properly? A complete 32x seems to be pretty pricey, so I'd like to just get one with only the pieces necessary to hook it up. I'd probably end up getting that three way AC adapter thingy too, to save some power strip space.

Also, is there anything to the rumors about the 32X damaging genesis games? I remember some talk of that when I originally had one as a kid but wasn't sure if there was anything to it.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

StellarX posted:

I'm looking at getting a 32X for my Model 1 Genesis/Model 2 Sega CD setup. First of all, does the 32X even work with the Model 1 Genesis? What all cables and adapters are necessary to connect it properly? A complete 32x seems to be pretty pricey, so I'd like to just get one with only the pieces necessary to hook it up. I'd probably end up getting that three way AC adapter thingy too, to save some power strip space.
Yes, a 32X will fit a Model 1 just fine. It's the Model 2 that requires a plastic spacer to fit properly.

As for cables, you'll need one of these to connect the Genesis to the 32x
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesi...=item2ec0276f52

And any Genesis Model 2 av cable to connect the 32x to the tv.
There's also some metal clips that go on the Genesis' cartridge slot, but they're totally unnecessary.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Hey friends. After that amazing gamestop sale, I'm trying to convert my ps2 collection for quick loading from a hard drive, but have realized rather quickly that using expanded .isos will fill the hard drive unnecessarily. I've seen that .bin/.cue files are a lot smaller when converted back to .isos. Are those compatible with HDLoader, or is there another program that works with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

wixard posted:

Every time I have Hyperspin 70-80% of where I want it in the configs, it seems like they finally update it for the first time in years and I start over again. I think that's happened to me twice. I haven't been to their forums in a while, but I remember most of their support docs basically being forum posts from the people building changes in really long threads, and making sure you were reading tips for the version of Hyperspin you actually had installed wasn't always easy.

I am insanely jealous of that video because I theoretically have most of the assets to make that happen, I've just never been able to catch up with Hyperspin to make it all come together correctly.

Even though I haven't seen it mentioned in eons, I'm a big big fan of MameWah. It's customizable as crap, very reinstall friendly in case of a disaster, and comes with 90% of the bells and whistles (intro vids especially) as Hyperspin...but hasn't been updated in a long time and probably never will be again. That said though I wouldn't change it for anything. I only use my cabinet as a Mame machine currently so I can't really speak much into using it for other emulators.

Secret Santa wise all of my stuff except for one game is all ready to go. When the last game comes (probably tomorrow) I'll ship out my gift asap. Like others have said my box is a mix of $50ish worth of stuff as well as some goodies from my collection thrown in. So excited!

• Locked thread