Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

IuniusBrutus posted:

The original, not the remake. :)

edit: If I can just find a way to get CivII running, I will be all set.

Regardless, if it's playable, this needs a how-to guide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleazy P
Aug 31, 2006
Giving aids back to the monkeys.
Hi guys, I'm really in need of some help here.

I bought a google nexus 10 for my mom for christmas, and being that isn't isn't the most tech savvy person in the world I went about trying to set up some basic things for her. However, I'm having some major problems with the google play store.

Whenever I enter the play store and attempt to update the apps already installed on the tablet (like youtube, gmail, maps) or download new apps, the download will never initialize. It gets stuck saying "downloading", and no progress is ever made.

I've tried everything I can think of (which admittedly isn't much), including:

- the troubleshooting instructions given by google: http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1067233
- resetting my router and trying the download again
- setting the wireless on the device to use Googles public DNS: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

But nothing seems to work. All of this has left me really disappointed, and I would appreciate any help.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a hint guys, you can get any turn-based game running if you simply get it running on a PC, and then remote desktop into the PC with your tablet.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Sleazy P posted:

Every Android device I've ever owned does this at some point. Usually trying later or rebooting helps in my experience.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Went to exchange my screen-lifted N7 today. New one doesn't suffer from it, but it does suffer from major light bleed on the lower right corner :suicide:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Surmy posted:

Regardless, if it's playable, this needs a how-to guide!

Used DosBox Turbo, and just copied the XCOM directory out of my Steam install directory. Without touching anything it runs very good on my Nexus 7 - some small performance issues, but a little tweaking of dosbox should fix that. Mouse emulation is a little clunky though.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Here's a hint guys, you can get any turn-based game running if you simply get it running on a PC, and then remote desktop into the PC with your tablet.
Sweet, now to dig out my copy of Progress Quest.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

AlexF posted:

So my Nexus 10 arrived today. First impression was pretty nice (that display!) and everything else seemed to follow up.

Then, during a particular quiet moment in the office, I noticed a hissing sound coming from the left side of the device. It gets quieter when turning up the brightness and louder when turning it down. A quick google search reveals that I'm not the only one having this problem. I've already talked to Google and they will send a replacement, since this is something covered under warranty.

Every one else experiencing something like this?

If that problem gets solved this thing will make me forget my iPad (3rd generation) pretty fast. From the short time it seems like everything I'd want out of a tablet.

Just wanted to follow up on this. My replacement arrived yesterday and that problem is well gone. So if anyboddy's experiencing the same , just hit up Google as they will exchange no questions asked.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006
Blurex case for my Nexus 10 came in the mail yesterday, big brother to the one on my Nexus 7. Seems to be an exact duplicate with the exception of the cutout in the top for the camera. Although I usually don't drop stuff like this it seems this folio case might provide a nice little bit of protection, especially on the corners.

Anyhow anybody on the fence I'd say go for the Blurex case, fits like a glove.

http://www.amazon.com/Blurex-Ultra-Google-Tablet-Multi-Angle/dp/B009W5YQ86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354625885&sr=8-1&keywords=blurex+nexus+10

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

potentiometer posted:

Blurex case for my Nexus 10 came in the mail yesterday, big brother to the one on my Nexus 7. Seems to be an exact duplicate with the exception of the cutout in the top for the camera. Although I usually don't drop stuff like this it seems this folio case might provide a nice little bit of protection, especially on the corners.

http://www.amazon.com/Blurex-Ultra-Google-Tablet-Multi-Angle/dp/B009W5YQ86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354625885&sr=8-1&keywords=blurex+nexus+10

How bulky is it? I need something for my N7 but I don't want anything to thick.

What is my best option for running a game controller on an un-rooted tablet? A rooted one? edit: Ideally a wired 360 controller.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 4, 2012

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

How bulky is it? I need something for my N7 but I don't want anything to thick.

Almost no bulk at all, folded back for reading or closed it probably doubles the thickness of the N7 or N10. And it just feels good, not to mention the added bonus of the included protection. At $15 you can't lose either way.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

potentiometer posted:

does it include a hand strap to help hold one handed?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

lostleaf posted:

does it include a hand strap to help hold one handed?

It does.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

My iPad 1 is starting to get to the point where the battery isn't what it used to be and I'm ready for an upgrade. I played with a Nexus 7 at Microcenter last night, my first time using an Android device of any kind. I loved it but I forgot to check how it handles image heavy threads like PYF Funny Image or GIF. Will it load all images on a single page or does it throw up little blue boxes everywhere like the iPad?

I'm also torn between a Nexus 7 and 10 but leaning toward 10 for dat screen. Can anyone comment on whether the entire experience is pretty similar to the 7 so I'm not going to end up with something completely different than what I experienced last night if I decide to go with the 10?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
I've noticed a rather worrying lack of somewhat staple apps on the nexus 10. Things like iplayer and flipboard say they are incompatible, is this a screen resolution thing or simply that they don't run on 4.2 yet?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

resident posted:

My iPad 1 is starting to get to the point where the battery isn't what it used to be and I'm ready for an upgrade. I played with a Nexus 7 at Microcenter last night, my first time using an Android device of any kind. I loved it but I forgot to check how it handles image heavy threads like PYF Funny Image or GIF. Will it load all images on a single page or does it throw up little blue boxes everywhere like the iPad?

I don't read many gif threads, but I'm subscribed to a couple of "post pictures of your food" type threads and all the images load just fine in the Awful Betamax app.

I haven't seen a 10 yet in the wild, but after playing with ipads, I like the size/format of a 7 inch screen better. It just seems more like a book size for reading things.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Sleazy P posted:

I bought a google nexus 10 for my mom for christmas, and being that isn't isn't the most tech savvy person in the world I went about trying to set up some basic things for her. However, I'm having some major problems with the google play store.

Whenever I enter the play store and attempt to update the apps already installed on the tablet (like youtube, gmail, maps) or download new apps, the download will never initialize. It gets stuck saying "downloading", and no progress is ever made.

- the troubleshooting instructions given by google: http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1067233
- setting the wireless on the device to use Googles public DNS: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

But nothing seems to work. All of this has left me really disappointed, and I would appreciate any help.

If you're reading this and it still hasn't resolved itself, I'd try a factory reset. If it still doesn't work after that, exchange it via the Google Play hotline.

resident posted:

Chrome for Android's performance can't really be vouched for on heavy sites at the moment due to this touch latency bug. There was a patch to fix it in Chrome 23, but until Chrome for Android catches up (it's still on version 18) that can't be backed up with concrete evidence. Apparently they're aligning the releases across platforms early next year , but until that happens Mobile Safari is a much more proven quantity in that regard. I wouldn't be put off from considering the later iterations of the iPad since the blue box problem of the original was down to it's paltry amount of RAM, which later versions have since rectified.

Try the iOS forum viewer app if you haven't already, as you may be able to crunch more performance out of that: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510131

quote:

I'm also torn between a Nexus 7 and 10 but leaning toward 10 for dat screen. Can anyone comment on whether the entire experience is pretty similar to the 7 so I'm not going to end up with something completely different than what I experienced last night if I decide to go with the 10?

Pretty much identical, except the 10 has a natural landscape orientation VS the 7's portrait.

Solly posted:

I've noticed a rather worrying lack of somewhat staple apps on the nexus 10. Things like iplayer and flipboard say they are incompatible, is this a screen resolution thing or simply that they don't run on 4.2 yet?

Flipboard haven't made a tablet layout, but have too much pride to have their app be stretched into distortion so limited the download to a maximum of 7 inch tablets. As for iPlayer, that's because the BBC forcibly set the version ceiling on the Play store listing as 4.1. If you were to sideload either from another Android device, it would probably work (though whether it would look good is another thing all together).

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

Vagrancy posted:

If you're reading this and it still hasn't resolved itself, I'd try a factory reset. If it still doesn't work after that, exchange it via the Google Play hotline.

Chrome for Android's performance can't really be vouched for on heavy sites at the moment due to this touch latency bug. There was a patch to fix it in Chrome 23, but until Chrome for Android catches up (it's still on version 18) that can't be backed up with concrete evidence. Apparently they're aligning the releases across platforms early next year , but until that happens Mobile Safari is a much more proven quantity in that regard. I wouldn't be put off from considering the later iterations of the iPad since the blue box problem of the original was down to it's paltry amount of RAM, which later versions have since rectified.

Try the iOS forum viewer app if you haven't already, as you may be able to crunch more performance out of that: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510131

Pretty much identical, except the 10 has a natural landscape orientation VS the 7's portrait.

Flipboard haven't made a tablet layout, but have too much pride to have their app be stretched into distortion so limited the download to a maximum of 7 inch tablets. As for iPlayer, that's because the BBC forcibly set the version ceiling on the Play store listing as 4.1. If you were to sideload either from another Android device, it would probably work (though whether it would look good is another thing all together).

Cool thanks, that's a bit of a kick in the teeth with flipboard, I thought the whole point of it was really for tablets, it's the thing I use most on iPad. Oh well, it will get there one day I suppose.

The only other android devices I have are no where near the same resolution as the nexus so it will probably look awful. I don't suppose there's a reliable source of apks for tablet apps is there?

The nexus is for my mum anyway so she's not going to notice the lack of these things much, but if I'd bought one for myself I'd definately be annoyed that I can't use some of the better apps on the market.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If anyone cares, the Asus RMA process for my TF700 was completely painless and although they weren't very forthcoming with information like what exactly they fixed and when it shipped, I did get it back with no screen lift and I'm happy.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Sleazy P posted:

My tablet used to do this when moving between WiFi access points, something doesn't like the changes in the network. Could be caused by terrible WiFi AP implementations/poor signal.

Go into Apps-> All Apps and find something like 'Download Manager' (EDIT: Maybe 'Downloads'? Try that if the previous doesn't work), Force Stop, Clear Data, etc. Then go and retry those downloads. Should get you back up and running.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Nexus 7 32GB. I was watching a YouTube when all of a sudden the tablet rebooted with the Google logo. Now all the sounds out of the speaker are tinny and distorted. I've tried working the volume sliders but can't come up with any reason this should be happening.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Millstone posted:

Nexus 7 32GB. I was watching a YouTube when all of a sudden the tablet rebooted with the Google logo. Now all the sounds out of the speaker are tinny and distorted. I've tried working the volume sliders but can't come up with any reason this should be happening.

Wipe it and reinstall the stock rom if you're on some terrible rom, or just wipe it. If that doesn't solve it, RMA it.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
So, I just got a Nexus 7, activated it earlier today. Now I'm trying to install apps via usb and can't because I apparently need some kind of a file manager. Which I can't install without wifi? I don't have access to wifi at home right now, so is my only option to wait until I'm near a wireless network again? I tried setting a wifi hotspot on my phone with joikuspot but the tablet's not seeing that.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Quatrefoil posted:

So, I just got a Nexus 7, activated it earlier today. Now I'm trying to install apps via usb and can't because I apparently need some kind of a file manager. Which I can't install without wifi? I don't have access to wifi at home right now, so is my only option to wait until I'm near a wireless network again? I tried setting a wifi hotspot on my phone with joikuspot but the tablet's not seeing that.

I'm not sure what you mean, how exactly are you trying to install apps? Using adb? You could get that by downloading the Android SDK, but probably you should just upload the apks to your Google Drive account and download/install them that way.

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Glimm posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, how exactly are you trying to install apps? Using adb? You could get that by downloading the Android SDK, but probably you should just upload the apks to your Google Drive account and download/install them that way.

How's he gonna download it from Google Drive without wifi?

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
Yeah, I tried copying the apks to the downloads folder but that's about as far as that went. I did manage to root the thing, though that didn't help much with the current problem. Guess I'll just have to wait until I get to school tomorrow and have access to the campus wifi. After installing a file explorer from the appstore I should be set, right?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Quatrefoil posted:

Yeah, I tried copying the apks to the downloads folder but that's about as far as that went. I did manage to root the thing, though that didn't help much with the current problem. Guess I'll just have to wait until I get to school tomorrow and have access to the campus wifi. After installing a file explorer from the appstore I should be set, right?
Why did you buy a WiFi tablet when you don't have regular access to WiFi? Getting apks from places that aren't the Play store is a good way to get malware.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why did you buy a WiFi tablet when you don't have regular access to WiFi? Getting apks from places that aren't the Play store is a good way to get malware.
I've just never had use for wifi at home before, I will be getting a wireless router soon. Bought a Nexus because it seemed like the best bang for the buck in my price range.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

How's he gonna download it from Google Drive without wifi?

I'm an idiot? I totally read that he didn't have wifi on the tablet but it didn't quite sink in.

In that case you can install the Android SDK and use adb (this xda link may help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1830108). Then you can just do 'adb install <your apk filename>' from the command line.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
Sorry, my English might be a bit rusty from lack of use. I'll take a look at the SDK, thanks.

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
Speaking of Google Drive, I can't test this out myself until I buy a tablet, but is it possible to store all my PDFs/ePubs on my Google Drive and sync them all to my tablet? That seems like a painless way to push my library to my device for reading.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

FreelanceSocialist posted:

Speaking of Google Drive, I can't test this out myself until I buy a tablet, but is it possible to store all my PDFs/ePubs on my Google Drive and sync them all to my tablet? That seems like a painless way to push my library to my device for reading.

Yes, in fact there are even apps that will sync last read pages. I use Fabrik and it's awesome, though it only supports DropBox right now.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Quatrefoil posted:

I've just never had use for wifi at home before, I will be getting a wireless router soon. Bought a Nexus because it seemed like the best bang for the buck in my price range.
If you have a wired internet connection on your computer you can turn a cheap USB WiFi dongle into a wireless hotspot.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Or just buy a wireless router and join the rest of us in 2012.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

What are people running for remote desktop setups on their android tablets? I don't have a RDP enabled Windows edition. :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

IuniusBrutus posted:

What are people running for remote desktop setups on their android tablets? I don't have a RDP enabled Windows edition. :(

I mostly use http://softwareforme.com/?page_id=6 because i got it when it was $5, and it also does really great on handling stuff behind NAT and such.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Splashtop works really well, if you don't need access from outside of your "home" network, it's free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.splashtop.remote.pad.v2&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

it does require that you install an app on the windows box.

If you need access from different networks, you have to buy the 'Access Anywhere Pack', I think it's like $10 a year, but I didn't need it so I'm not sure.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Really? I've not paid a penny (other than for the app [Play link]), and after feeding the PC client my Google details I've been able to remote in over 3G.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

spincube posted:

Really? I've not paid a penny (other than for the app [Play link]), and after feeding the PC client my Google details I've been able to remote in over 3G.
There's a registration date cutoff that delineates free/paid. I think it was sometime in July/August? Whenever they released the 2.0 client.

Also, Splashtop is really quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
Does anyone have recommendations for a Nexus 7 cover? I'm looking for a flip cover that doesn't add bulk to the tablet. lots available on amazon, so I'm trying to find out what people like.