Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spamming Makarakarn on the November dungeon boss is ridiculously broken. The whole fight lasted maybe four or five turns.

Hard really isn't living up to its name. :v:

e: Also, is there anything special I have to do to trigger the last Fox quest or can I just try fishing at the beach when it's rainy? I remember having to show a Huge Fish to the old dude at the riverbank in vanilla P4, but this time's he's not reacting to the ones I bought from Tanaka.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Just finished this and it was still as amazing as the first go-around. I think my obsession with quests kind of killed the difficulty though, I always ran into too many gold shadows when going back through earlier dungeons and obsessively killed them all, so I was rolling around the new dungeon with lv99 Lucifer without really grinding at all :v:

Also maxed all the S.links my first go-around, but this wasn't any kind of careful planning or competence on my part so much as getting absurdly lucky with social stat-boosts early-on and thus having a stupid amount of free time. Also obsessively doing every dungeon in one day helps too. Shuffle Time HP/SP boosts are wonderful, don't be afraid to bum around on castle floor 1 for a few if you're running super-low.

Really good stuff all-around :)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Why did they change it so most of the chests have shadows in them? Getting attacked almost every time I open a chest is really starting to get old.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Strange Quark posted:

e: Also, is there anything special I have to do to trigger the last Fox quest or can I just try fishing at the beach when it's rainy? I remember having to show a Huge Fish to the old dude at the riverbank in vanilla P4, but this time's he's not reacting to the ones I bought from Tanaka.

After accepting the ema's request, head to the beach and try to fish; weather doesn't matter. You should get a message prompting you to go talk to the old guy. Talk to him and he'll mention that he wants to see the Samegawa River Guardian as proof that you're ready for ocean fishing. Use Inaba Jeweled Beetles to catch a River Guardian and show that to him to get the rod to fish in the ocean.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm at max stats and following a guide and I'm still unsure if I can get all social links in this round. :negative:

Strange Quark posted:

EDIT: What he ^ said.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

W.T. Fits posted:

After accepting the ema's request, head to the beach and try to fish; weather doesn't matter. You should get a message prompting you to go talk to the old guy. Talk to him and he'll mention that he wants to see the Samegawa River Guardian as proof that you're ready for ocean fishing. Use Inaba Jeweled Beetles to catch a River Guardian and show that to him to get the rod to fish in the ocean.

Aha, does that mean I actually have to go get the net? I never figured how to get it. :v:

e: Oh wait, it turns out I did get the net. Just didn't figure out the bug catching bit.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 6, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Why did they change it so most of the chests have shadows in them? Getting attacked almost every time I open a chest is really starting to get old.

You're just reallllly unlucky.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I'm at max stats and following a guide and I'm still unsure if I can get all social links in this round. :negative:

EDIT: What he ^ said.

The old guy wants the SEA guardian this time. You have to show him a RIVER guardian to unlock it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did they take away save points before the bosses? I walked into the Yukiko boss fight while not paying attention because I didn't see the butterfly.

But it's cool, I was able to beat her on my first try while using up a few precious SP items to replenish. Thank god for abusing SOS on the way up. Still, did they make her a lot easier this time around? It was much less stressful than I remember it. I know of course that Bufu now knocks her down, but always thought the prince she summons healed her a lot more in the original.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Did they take away save points before the bosses? I walked into the Yukiko boss fight while not paying attention because I didn't see the butterfly.

But it's cool, I was able to beat her on my first try while using up a few precious SP items to replenish. Thank god for abusing SOS on the way up. Still, did they make her a lot easier this time around? It was much less stressful than I remember it. I know of course that Bufu now knocks her down, but always thought the prince she summons healed her a lot more in the original.

Yup. It doesn't really matter since you can restart the floor if you die on every difficulty but very hard. On the other hand, you need to use an item/Traesto to pop out of the dungeon.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Honestly, I'd recommend P3:FES over Portable. It's silly, but I think it lost something when they cut out the emoting 3D models in favour of 2D stills in the cutscenes (partial ending spoiler) particularly the very end one with the MC resting his head on Aigis' lap (I know, UMD storage space and all, but still). Admittedly, FES only lets you control the MC, but it's fairly bearable due to the party AI being moderately competent. That's just my personal opinion though.:

I can understand a preference for the 3d models and animated cutscenes, but I think all the better social links and stuff added for girl mode WAY overpower any superficial loss of cutscenes and models.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It's great once you can kill the gold hands since the money and xp they drop are way better than what you get in the tiny chests. They also seem to have a high chance to appear when you get a chest encounter for some reason.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Doing (late game spoilers) Marie's Dungeon now and not seeing the big deal. I mean yeah I have Vigor Wave but I nuke everything first turn with no problems and the setting and music is really really cool.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Are there any special requirements to getting to see the epilogue besides just reaching the True Ending? One source says that you need to be in a romance with Marie, while others say that reaching the True Ending and also clearing Marie's dungeon will suffice.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cirosan posted:

Are there any special requirements to getting to see the epilogue besides just reaching the True Ending? One source says that you need to be in a romance with Marie, while others say that reaching the True Ending and also clearing Marie's dungeon will suffice.

I didn't romance Marie and still got the Epilogue, but I did clear her dungeon.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Holy hell, does marie's boss music unlock? That was awesome. I'm tempted to make a whole other save file just so I can listen to it again if need be.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Holy hell, does marie's boss music unlock? That was awesome. I'm tempted to make a whole other save file just so I can listen to it again if need be.

It's from the Nevermore: Reincarnation album. Here's the song on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0KGRjTIa7I

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cake Attack posted:

It's from the Nevermore: Reincarnation album. Here's the song on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0KGRjTIa7I

Thanks a million, there's a lot of songs in the game where I've went "Yeah I like that!" but this is the first one to really grab and impress me. It caught me totally off guard.

For some reason the dungeon itself reminded me of silent hill of all things. How odd.

vvvv Correct

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 6, 2012

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

I didn't romance Marie and still got the Epilogue, but I did clear her dungeon.
Perfect, thank you.

Just to make sure, though: Marie's dungeon is unlocked by maxing out her social link before February 13, correct?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

That, or before December. One of the two.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shouldn't it be December? I don't think she's available in January/February. Unless maxing it in December caused that to change.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
:woop: Persona 4 Golden is Playstation Vita's top rated game! :woop:

I hope Atlus sells a ton of copies. We need more companies to learn how to make good RPGs from their example.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Grimace posted:

:woop: Persona 4 Golden is Playstation Vita's top rated game! :woop:

I hope Atlus sells a ton of copies. We need more companies to learn how to make good RPGs from their example.

I'm just honestly glad I get to play my Vita again. :3: P4G made me glad I got the Vita day one at least now.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Nessa posted:

I think all the better social links and stuff added for girl mode WAY overpower any superficial loss of cutscenes and models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qnGiB1fT_4

All of the anime cutscenes that play over the first hour or so set the bar REALLY high, it was half the reason I put up with how repetitive that game gets. Meanwhile, even if you judge them on their own merits, the replacements for these scenes in the psp game are really lame.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Oh god, the Okina event. That was just great, and Kanji is the best. :allears:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Man, I just finished up the culture festival / hot springs event

Is there a single point in this game where the guys are not being shat on? :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Thanks a million, there's a lot of songs in the game where I've went "Yeah I like that!" but this is the first one to really grab and impress me. It caught me totally off guard.

For some reason the dungeon itself reminded me of silent hill of all things. How odd.

vvvv Correct

Oh wow, I was just thinking how the one fault I can find with this game is that the dungeon soundtrack gets really repetitive, but drat thats a good song.

mcw
Jul 28, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

There are technically a few different bad endings and some are worse than others. But you'd only get the worst one if you are really stupid.

In the original P4 thread, someone posted that he had hooked his grandmother up with a PS2 and Persona 4 so that she would have something to do. She actually got into the game and made it all the way through it, but got the bad ending. The goon in question passed along her feedback: "I really enjoyed it, but the ending was very sad".

That story still sticks out to me because it was a reminder to me at the time of how accessible RPGs can be. It's heartening to think of non-gamers being able to enjoy P4 for all the same reasons that I did. And it's equally frustrating to think of them getting the bad ending without knowing that there was another possible ending, especially considering that the bad ending is a really loving bad ending.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

darealkooky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qnGiB1fT_4

All of the anime cutscenes that play over the first hour or so set the bar REALLY high, it was half the reason I put up with how repetitive that game gets. Meanwhile, even if you judge them on their own merits, the replacements for these scenes in the psp game are really lame.

Maybe it's because I had already seen them in FES, but I didn't miss them in P3P. P3P is the better game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Fisher King posted:

Oh wow, I was just thinking how the one fault I can find with this game is that the dungeon soundtrack gets really repetitive, but drat thats a good song.

The November dungeon has a full 2 minute song with lyrics and everything, the problem is it resets after every battle... so you just hear the annoying opening notes over and over. I thought they should have kept the song playing throughout battles too, I love it when games do that for emotional moments

The other songs are super repetitive anyway so it's not as big of a deal with those ones.

OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ *~sorry can you make the music louder~* OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ *~I CAN'T IT'S PART OF MY DREAM~*

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Concerning the other conversation in the thread, I prefer P3P to FES, but I think my reasoning is contaminated from having played FES first. Thanks to it, I already had a reference point of the memories of FES to show me "exactly" what was going on in certain scenes. My memories of the FMVs could show me what the story-book text couldn't.

At the same time, I think P3P is amazing in how much it conveys with its storybook narrative. It may not imply action as crisply as FES did with its animated cutscenes, but it does a good job with its limited resources. The added character drawings add a lot to the game that couldn't be perceived in the original, but it does also lose much of the original's ambitious charm. I wouldn't say that P3P's story sections are bad, but I would say that FES is better in that respect. At the same time, all of the other things P3P adds to the table are so fantastic that it really makes it impossible for me to say which is the "definitive version" of the game. They both have pros and cons when weighed against each other. Keeping that in mind, I tell myself that although I may think I like P3P more, subconsciously a lot of my love for the game comes from my mind mixing FES and P3P together. Both versions of the game have their own charms.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha ha, Rare Shadows! I've got Megido now, so what are you going to do? Die, horribly, that's what. :unsmigghh:

Also the guy I've got it on has it as his card ability, so I'm going to pay a visit to that place soon and slap Megido on Black Frost too. Black Frost has definitely overtaken Jack Frost in ridiculous Shuffle Time boosts.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Is it just me or did Golden pretty much turn Naoto into the best party member?

Naoto can, potently hit any element, has Mind Charge and Invigorate and can easily handle everything with Almightly spells. Shreds random Shadows with Light and Dark, and is just amazing overall.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Dr Pepper posted:

Naoto can, potently hit any element, has Mind Charge and Invigorate and can easily handle everything with Almightly spells. Shreds random Shadows with Light and Dark, and is just amazing overall.

Of course, her new problem is the fact the eight skill limit means that Naoto is now the party member you have micromanage their skills with the most.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah but as mentioned the 8 skill restriction is REALLY annoying on Naoto. In Golden Naoto's the only party member without a weakness though.

What I did:

Mahamaon
Mamudoon
Garudyne
Vorpal Blade
Megidoloan
Invigorate
Makarakarn
Tetrakarn

Eventually when S. Link is maxed, I'll replace 2 skills with Mind Charge and Heat Riser. I'm thinking the reflect skills but they're so drat useful right now. Heat Riser actually doesn't seem all that useful since Kanji and Teddie already do party-wide Defense and Attack buffs, and I might not even use Mind Charge seeing as how Vorpal Blade tends to do more than Megido a lot of the time.

I wanted both Agi and Garu so my team could cover every element without me but it's really hard to choose, I just do Fire Amp/Boost Agidyne on the MC. Hama and Mudo boost are a waste, if an enemy is weak to either it's instant kill anyway. If you have Chie or Yukiko it might be worth giving them Hama/Mudo and taking the relevant skill off Naoto.

You probably don't NEED both reflect spells but I find them really useful for bosses.

Naoto is probably the best party member

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Dr Pepper posted:

The game is just catching up, that's all :colbert:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Oh no, Black Frost's skills can't be upgraded via Magician anymore. What do I do, guys? :ohdear:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Naoto chews through Golden Hands like candy.

Going to roll all the ladies in my party in preparation for Nanako's dungeon, just because I can. Girl power :toot:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You probably don't NEED both reflect spells but I find them really useful for bosses.

Naoto is probably the best party member

Naoto's unique skill is an All Damage shield :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Naoto's unique skill is an All Damage shield :v:

Oh yeaaaaah

How do you get those? I think I'll feel better about dumping the shield skills if I had that.

• Locked thread