Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

ACID POLICE posted:

HKR you piece of poo poo I had that Lunar Saturn game in my cart and then it was sold out.

Yeah but I made sure to check out before I told everyone about the sale :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Got the new gamecube in last saturday courtesy of SassyRobot :D. The system works perfectly and playing my GBA games is now an option! I haven't been able to play them for years cause the tiny systems cramp the living crap out of my hands.

Also, just won an ebay auction for Illusion of Gaia, Magic Sword, and Super Valis. For $28 shipped :D. And I picked up Lagoon and Xardion dirt cheap off a clist add.

Retro collecting has been good to me this month. Too bad my wife does not agree. Nor does our bank account. I'm kind of banned from buying anything for 2 months. A bann that I am sure to break. I'm going to be in so much trouble when I get off the fence about the english repro of SoM2 and Terranigma :retrogames:

Speaking of repro's. I have an odd question. Whats to stop me from getting the rom for a game I own but would like to shelve, then using the retrode to force the rom onto say a madden game? Is that possible? Or do I need to find a game that was built on similar hardware?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 6, 2012

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Kilazar posted:

Speaking of repro's. I have an odd question. Whats to stop me from getting the rom for a game I own but would like to shelve, then using the retrode to force the rom onto say a madden game? Is that possible? Or do I need to find a game that was built on similar hardware?

The chips in commercially produced cartridges are OTP (one time programmable) Proms. Basically they have a ton of fuses that a device overloads instead of cells that hold a charge. All that means that the chip can't be erased or reprogrammed.

Oddly enough Madden games are what I use for repros 99% of the time since they tend to have similar hardware to the popular SNES RPGs.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Kilazar posted:

Got the new gamecube in last saturday courtesy of SassyRobot :D. The system works perfectly and playing my GBA games is now an option! I haven't been able to play them for years cause the tiny systems cramp the living crap out of my hands.

Also, just won an ebay auction for Illusion of Gaia, Magic Sword, and Super Valis. For $28 shipped :D. And I picked up Lagoon and Xardion dirt cheap off a clist add.

Retro collecting has been good to me this month. Too bad my wife does not agree. Nor does our bank account. I'm kind of banned from buying anything for 2 months. A bann that I am sure to break. I'm going to be in so much trouble when I get off the fence about the english repro of SoM2 and Terranigma :retrogames:

Unless you really want an actual cart, buy a super everdrive or sd2snes. Most snes repros go for $50-$60, and just 2 of them could fund an everdrive, and 4 would fund the sd2snes.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Just won this sucker :v:

Cost me $300 :retrogames:. Running Ghouls & Goblins. Needs two wires soldered to the connector and a joystick switch replaced, but I'll probably just replace the stick itself. Also going to wire up a jamma connector for stuff like Pandoras Box and Go Fish boards. Should have in house pics tommorow.

Considering having a sell off to finance some more boards / another cab, so will post some stuff up tonight for first picks. :)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Anything works as long as it cleans flux. In Fry's, it's right next to the flux.

Here's some, but what I get is cheaper:
http://www.qsource.com/c-298-flux-removers.aspx

This is great, thanks! While I am here I might as well order some more solder. Is there any kind of solder that's better than another? One that's stronger/better for old bideo games/higher quality or something? I've been using the same spool of one I bought from Radio Shack in the late 90's and it finally is just about to run out.

..does it take you a year or more to test your mods? :)

Test it, and once you know everything is working, clean it, let it dry, test it again, and put it back in its casing.

Yeah but I don't wanna test it before I clean it! I fried an SNES that way :ohdear:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

fatpat268 posted:

Unless you really want an actual cart, buy a super everdrive or sd2snes. Most snes repros go for $50-$60, and just 2 of them could fund an everdrive, and 4 would fund the sd2snes.

I'm weird like that, I want an actual cart.

I might get an everdrive eventually so I can shelve my more valuable games. But for the most part I don't want something to stick every rom in existence on. Cause then I will be too tempted to venture into gotta catch'em all mode. And I don't need to hunt down roms for games I don't own.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

H1KE posted:

Cost me $300 :retrogames:. Running Ghouls & Goblins. Needs two wires soldered to the connector and a joystick switch replaced, but I'll probably just replace the stick itself. Also going to wire up a jamma connector for stuff like Pandoras Box and Go Fish boards. Should have in house pics tommorow.

Considering having a sell off to finance some more boards / another cab, so will post some stuff up tonight for first picks. :)

That's pretty sweet. Is it the original monitor and does it have any burn in?

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Finally dropped my Santee's package in the mail yesterday - keep an eye out, goons, it could be you!

Also, any Chicagoans in here been to Headquarters in Lakeview yet? They have Mortal Kombat II tournaments every Monday night. Just sayin'.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

H1KE posted:

Well CPS is jamma, so when you say solder to the connector I hope some idiot has not soldered directly to PCB itself. If they have, be very careful when desoldering the wires since if you're not careful you can pull the traces off. If it has some weird connector in it with an adapter to play jamma games you can just use that for other jamma compatible games.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Bleh, thats the last time I am going to use ebay to offload one of my extra retro systems.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140892679838?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

After checking the dudes available items, he has several NES's that he's trying to move for $65. I just wanted this to go to a good home, not a reseller :( poor little guy.

Anyhow, I still have one more NES that I need to offload, and would vastly prefer it go to a loving family. I'm only asking shipping, and whatever you are willing to pay. And that you not request it for the purpose of reselling.

PM if interested.

*edit* don't bid on my NES, wasn't a post to try and get bids. I mean, unless you really want it that is. Just pointing out the low price and the fact that the guy is going to probably be reselling it for $65. And if you do really want a NES, again don't bid on that one, pm me about the extra one I still have.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 6, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

H1KE posted:

That is awesome. I'd leave it as it is, though I imagine the arcade is as crushingly difficult as the home versions? :v:

Got my santa buddy's presents last night. I hope you're happy with them, santa buddy. :) Going to mail them off probably tomorrow, forgot to bring them today. :doh:

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

HKR you piece of poo poo I had that Lunar Saturn game in my cart and then it was sold out.

We've reached peak video games and the locals are turning on one another. I guess we had a good run.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Edit: nevermind.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

take_it_slow posted:

I would love an nes.

Shoot me a PM :D

If you don't have pm's send me an email at d a r k spyralinc @ gmail.com

I won't be able to check that email until after 5pm central though, as gmail is websensed here at work.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Still looking for a reasonable price on a N64. :(

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

OSI bean dip posted:

Still looking for a reasonable price on a N64. :(

Still looking for a first-party N64 controller. :(

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

tvb posted:

Finally dropped my Santee's package in the mail yesterday - keep an eye out, goons, it could be you!

Also, any Chicagoans in here been to Headquarters in Lakeview yet? They have Mortal Kombat II tournaments every Monday night. Just sayin'.

No, but I guess if it's somehow remarkable from the other barcade let me know. I haven't really bothered with either of them since I live in the burbs next to Gameworks and my travelling is usually directly to Galloping Ghost. It's really hard to convince me to go anywhere else because gently caress man, Galloping Ghost.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Antillese posted:

We've reached peak video games and the locals are turning on one another. I guess we had a good run.

I'm surprised the Zelda debate didn't turn into a brawl, really.

I'll try to keep an eye out at my goodwill for N64 swag, sometimes I see consoles come in. Controllers though... I was lucky to find two with working, good condition sticks, but that's not usual at all. :(

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 6, 2012

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

And just like that, the holder looks like it's always belonged there.

The hakko 808 literally did in 10 seconds what it took me 20 minutes to do yesterday, holy poo poo.

Edit: Yea, the pins on that cart are dirty, but I can't get them any cleaner. I've used pencil eraser and alcohol, but it's still a 50/50 proposition on whether or not the game will actually work.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 6, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Argh, I'm still waiting on stuff from Amazon before I pack my SS box! All I ordered was a single boxed NES game and with the money I paid on shipping the jerks could have used USPS expedited flat rate box. I would have received it a week ago, god drat.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

fatpat268 posted:

The hakko 808 literally did in 10 seconds what it took me 20 minutes to do yesterday, holy poo poo.

This is what I'm talking about. The 808 is huge and sounds powerful, it's easy to get swept away by it. But:

Why did it take you 20 minutes to de-solder three points?

How much do you make an hour that $180 for 10 seconds of use is a fair trade off?

I'm not expecting you to answer that, I just hope other people consider this before buying one because it doesn't get much more :retrogames: than this.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

fatpat268 posted:

Edit: Yea, the pins on that cart are dirty, but I can't get them any cleaner. I've used pencil eraser and alcohol, but it's still a 50/50 proposition on whether or not the game will actually work.

Hi, I'm here to make you spend even more money apparently. Pick up some Brasso and q tips and go to town on those pins. Wipe off the residue with a q tip dipped in alcohol. They'll be as clean as the day the game came out of the factory.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

And just like that, the holder looks like it's always belonged there.

Model number of that battery holder please :allears:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Double please.

Those look the same as the ones I got from a guy on nintendo-age after going through ~15 other kinds. And then he stopped replying to pm's

Seconding Galloping Ghost as well. If you live in the tri-states it might even be worth a trip if you like arcades.

I also live near a gameworks and haven't been there in years. Used to play DDR but most of the machines were in really bad repair. Their retro section was like centipide and pacman, but they had multiple neo geo cabs :iiam:

Nickel city in northbrook , used to also be good but they closed as far as i know.

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 7, 2012

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
Anyone who is interested in hunting down local arcades, or just locations with arcade games in them, try Aurcade.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fatpat268 posted:

Steel wool, my droog.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Search for S8421-45R

I should have Brasso around the house. I hadn't even considered that.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

madpanda posted:

Double please.

Those look the same as the ones I got from a guy on nintendo-age after going through ~15 other kinds. And then he stopped replying to pm's

Seconding Galloping Ghost as well. If you live in the tri-states it might even be worth a trip if you like arcades.

I also live near a gameworks and haven't been there in years. Used to play DDR but most of the machines were in really bad repair. Their retro section was like centipide and pacman, but they had multiple neo geo cabs :iiam:

Nickel city in northbrook , used to also be good but they closed as far as i know.

Nickel City is still open unless it recently (very recently) exploded or something. I live near the Schaumburg GW so it's in pretty great repair, I just don't go that often. Upside is I get to play poo poo like Technika and Sangokushi Taisen.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Do we have a thread for PS2 hacking? I can't find one.

I got like 20 games from that Gamestop PS2 sale, and I had like 5 others. I picked up a 120gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB IDE drive. I popped it in to the PS2 and formatted it with my retail HDLoader disc. Installed a game, and it didn't appear on the list of installed games. WTF.

So I decided to try out Open PS2 Loader's SMB capability, because I hear it works pretty well and you don't even have to install the games on the PS2 HDD. Configuring it is easy, you just give the PS2 an IP address, a SMB share name and a user/password and it connects to the share and lists the ISOs in there. Except when I try it, I get Network Startup Error 300, which supposedly is a bad login. I can't figure it out. The user I created is called 'ps2' and the password is also 'ps2'.

I'm trying to get help from the official Open PS2 Loader forum but it's slow as molasses and I'm hoping someone in here can help me out or point me in a better direction. For reference I'm trying to connect to both a Windows 8 64-bit machine and a Windows XP 32-bit machine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Crimson Harvest posted:

Do we have a thread for PS2 hacking? I can't find one.

I got like 20 games from that Gamestop PS2 sale, and I had like 5 others. I picked up a 120gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB IDE drive. I popped it in to the PS2 and formatted it with my retail HDLoader disc. Installed a game, and it didn't appear on the list of installed games. WTF.

So I decided to try out Open PS2 Loader's SMB capability, because I hear it works pretty well and you don't even have to install the games on the PS2 HDD. Configuring it is easy, you just give the PS2 an IP address, a SMB share name and a user/password and it connects to the share and lists the ISOs in there. Except when I try it, I get Network Startup Error 300, which supposedly is a bad login. I can't figure it out. The user I created is called 'ps2' and the password is also 'ps2'.

I'm trying to get help from the official Open PS2 Loader forum but it's slow as molasses and I'm hoping someone in here can help me out or point me in a better direction. For reference I'm trying to connect to both a Windows 8 64-bit machine and a Windows XP 32-bit machine.

Not that this helps you but you might want to consider doing the actual HDD route because the loading times (or lack thereof) are fantastic and compatibility is drat-near perfect. IDE drives are also really cheap.

But to try and be more helpful, I would try a few things. One, see if your FTP program has a box you can check for "anonymous login". Check or uncheck that. Try both. Also, try no password or username at all. And finally, try just the username ps3 but nothing for the password. Let me know how it goes.

fatpat268 posted:

Search for S8421-45R

And I can buy it at Newark, the same site I get my digital audio chips for the SNES mod! :neckbeard:

Thanks!!

Anyone who is interested in hunting down local arcades, or just locations with arcade games in them, try Aurcade.

Wow. This site even lists if a laundromat has an arcade machine. Thanks for this!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Antillese posted:

Woah woah woah, HKR is my buddy! There's no hatred in this thread :(

fatpat, awesome job on your battery holder. I really want to do that to my EarthBound cart.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Code Jockey posted:

I'm surprised the Zelda debate didn't turn into a brawl, really.

I'll try to keep an eye out at my goodwill for N64 swag, sometimes I see consoles come in. Controllers though... I was lucky to find two with working, good condition sticks, but that's not usual at all. :(

speaking of Zelda and thrift stores, I found a Majora's Mask Manga today. I haven't read it yet, but I'm betting it won't be as good as that old link to the past book.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

And I can buy it at Newark, the same site I get my digital audio chips for the SNES mod! :neckbeard:

Thanks!!

It's a surface mount battery holder, but you just take the two pin and bend them down. The negative lead is also slightly too large to fit in the hole on the cartridge, so you'll need to trim them down very slightly.

This is what I'm talking about. The 808 is huge and sounds powerful, it's easy to get swept away by it. But:

Why did it take you 20 minutes to de-solder three points?

How much do you make an hour that $180 for 10 seconds of use is a fair trade off?

I'm not expecting you to answer that, I just hope other people consider this before buying one because it doesn't get much more :retrogames: than this.

It took me a while because desoldering braid is pain in the rear end (for me).

But it's not like I bought the 808 just to desolder a few points. I have a few projects lined up that'll involve quite a bit of desoldering (like recapping my gameboys and game gear) that I've been putting off just because it's a pain.

Like I said, I like paying for quality. $180 is nothing to sneeze at, but if it saves me plenty of pain and frustration down the road, it's more than worth it to me.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Holy poo poo this site is awesome. Glad to see the Mr. Do! machine I played at Disney World like a decade ago is still kickin'.

In other awesome news, I just learned my family has a Trinitron hanging around that hasn't been used in years....in other words, :getin:

I just have zero space for it right now. :negative:

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
I've been looking to replace my old TV, and I found a Sony FD Trinitron WEGA (manufactured June 2003) for $100 at a reputable non-chain thrift store. It's 36" diagonal, comes on its own stand, and has many ports (no HDMI, unfortunately, but it does have DVI), which would make it so that I wouldn't have to go behind the TV every time I want to play, say FF7 and unplug the Wii U, I'd just have both hooked up at once. It even has a port on the front, something that my old TV doesn't have. I've tested it with my Gamecube, so I know all the RCA ports and the TV itself work (picture is way better than my old one), and it comes with a much better remote. I don't know if Duck Hunt or other light gun games will work on it, but since it's a CRT I think they'll work.

The old one is an ancient RCA, 25" diagonal with a huge encasement, which is just sitting on the floor. It's only got one RCA port, in the back, along with one composite port, and the picture isn't that great. It's been working fine so far, but I've got tired of having to play Musical Port on the back every time I want to play something different and it takes up way too much room for its size. The remote's terrible, too.

I've got a few images, as well, if they look bad you can blame the camera on my 3DS, which really, really hates my room.

TV itself!

The owner's manual, which it comes with.

And the current TV. Gotta get stuff cleaned up if I want to move this lovely beast of a Triniton in!

My main worry is the cost, though I think the included stand helps with that (any other TV I'd have to buy a stand for, because I don't have one). Should I take the plunge, :retrogames:, and tell the old RCA to :getout:? Or is a more modern TV worth my time instead? I'm ready to deal with the ordeal of having the Trinitron :getin:!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Just use your Trinitron and get s-video cables for all your systems and then see if you want to progress from there. I, personally, find that an incredibly welcome upgrade from composite video on CRT's and it's like 90% of the battle quality-wise

e: thanks, you caught me slipping there

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 7, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ACID POLICE posted:

I, personally, find that an incredibly welcome upgrade from component video on CRT's

composite. upgrade from composite.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
This looks like it would be a fun little project to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5npkz0xY1fo

The guy also wrote an article on how he put it together. This would be really neat to have for a quick game of Pac-Man or Bubble Bobble if you're waiting for something to finish downloading/installing on your computer. I bet if the cabinet was a little larger and he put in two extra buttons, something like Street Fighter 2 (which is what I would probably leave it on 24/7) might be playable. But, since Raspberry Pis are not super powerful, I dunno if it would run very well (especially since he mentioned Nemesis runs a little slower than it should).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

univbee posted:

Something I haven't seen discussed in the OP or the first/last batch of pages: recommended controllers. It is a colossal pain in the rear end to track down original controllers for SNES and a few other systems. Are any third-party controllers any good these days? Are there retro-friendly controllers made with more modern, wear-resistant components, or is your best bet hoping to find original mostly unused controllers?

This is from a few pages back, but I wholeheartedly endorse the ASCII Pad for SNES. Officially licensed by Nintendo back in the day, and I can personally attest that it's just as good as a stock SNES pad if you get one in good condition. But wait, there's more! Let's see:

-PAL coloured buttons!
-Angled shoulder buttons!
-Independent turbo switches for A/B/X/Y/L/R with turbo and auto-turbo!
-Slow-motion technology*! (a turbo for the start button)
-An eight(!) foot cord!

Remember this was the king of SNES pads back in the day, so why would you settle for anything less than the best today? :colbert:

• Locked thread