Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dr.Oblivious posted:

This kind of bugs me, but do AK47s or 1911s ever get attachments? Seems kind of weird considering both have rails on them and such.

None of the first-tier weapons get attachments. It pretty much sucks, especially since I recently re-watched a video of the game from 2011 and they were using a 1911 with a suppressor. :argh:

My guess is that they had mods available originally, but they were axed to give a greater sense of progression with the guns you get as you play. Which just makes me hope that there'll be a way to restore that functionality once gibbed gets his tools worked out.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Far Cry 3's atmosphere is very different from FC2's. FC2 was a really depressing story. You were in the middle of a crumbling country, everyone was miserable, there were no good guys, and you were slowly dying of malaria. FC3 gives us sex, drugs, and dubstep.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
This should be called Jurassic Park, I was snooping through an outpost choosing who to shiv when there was a cacophony of gunfire. Animals were in the perimeter. I found bodies, just bodies. Some cassowary.

Then I heard the warble, I turned round to see one eyeing me across the lumber yard. Suddenly I was transported into a western, looking around they were stalking from the shade of buildings, coming in through a gap in the fence, all that was missing was one peeking out of a dustbin with the lid on his head. What a loving hilarious game. Possibly the best animal moment yet was a big tortoise just moseying across a road giving no fucks in the middle of a huge gunfight. Another time a goat ran across the road and disappeared into the bushes, shortly followed by a train of three komodo dragons nose to tail.

I've crafted all the packs minus a few PotH quest ones now, my last sharkskin items I took a boat out into the bay to get. Diving down to the murky bottom after the shark I plugged makes me sweat, do it in the shallows.

The animals in this game are just the perfect mix of gameplay, atmosphere and comedy. It's such a laugh stalking men through the jungle with your manslaying bow and- "Watch those loving DOGS :supaburn:"

monheim
Dec 22, 2009

how're things
Is there any way to see my total play time either in game or in Uplay? I didn't get the game on Steam due to getting it for free with my new graphics card, and seeing my total playtime is something I'm missing right now.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

fluxus posted:

Is there any way to see my total play time either in game or in Uplay? I didn't get the game on Steam due to getting it for free with my new graphics card, and seeing my total playtime is something I'm missing right now.
Your save file has a time played on it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

This should be called Jurassic Park
I had a "Clever girl..." moment with some komodo dragons near one of the radio towers; two of them were attacking some pirate guards and I was just hanging back in the bushes watching the show when I hear a hiss, look round, and find a third one about six feet away. :gonk:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Far Cry 3's atmosphere is very different from FC2's. FC2 was a really depressing story. You were in the middle of a crumbling country, everyone was miserable, there were no good guys, and you were slowly dying of malaria. FC3 gives us sex, drugs, and dubstep.

I think it's pretty much the Far Cry "thing" now that every game in the series is wildly different from one another in terms of tone and setting.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
They only care about the gameplay, really.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Someone should write a mod that will with a player command revert all captured bases back to enemy hands. This can make the endgame and aftergame more fun, and you don't have to start a new game and level up to get some more action.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Finally hit the midpoint. Holy moley this game is getting IN-TENSE.

...hell that would have been a fine way to end the game right there. Maybe at this point in development they realized "Hey we still have some budget left! gently caress it, second island!"

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Speedball posted:

Finally hit the midpoint. Holy moley this game is getting IN-TENSE.

...hell that would have been a fine way to end the game right there. Maybe at this point in development they realized "Hey we still have some budget left! gently caress it, second island!"

Yeah, me too. That weird rear end ink demon was goddamn GORGEOUS. I just upgraded my GPU to a 660 and I was astounded by how good it looked.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Well I cocked that up. Guess I'll have to go up and around...

Oh gently caress yes!

WOOOO!!

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Can someone upload a savegame from around the beginning of the second island? I managed to lose mine while reinstalling the game, and while it was fun I don't think I want to play the slow story missions and unskippable cutscenes again.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Holy Christ the magnum revolver is powerful. I can down tigers before they can get close. It makes no sense that a pistol should pack more stopping power than an assault rifle.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Baron Bifford posted:

Holy Christ the magnum revolver is powerful. I can down tigers before they can get close. It makes no sense that a pistol should pack more stopping power than an assault rifle.

Desert Eagle is even more powerful, it's ridiculous. You won't need any other weapon.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
How many signature weapons are there? I've only got two and one was a Uplay reward.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Attention Horse posted:

Desert Eagle is even more powerful, it's ridiculous. You won't need any other weapon.

Plus the sound it makes is like God clearing his throat, it's glorious.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
This game looks like a lot of fun, but is it worth $50 on Steam or should I wait for a price drop? And would my i5-2500K/8GB RAM/HD7850 setup run the game smoothly on high settings at 1080p?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

spasticColon posted:

This game looks like a lot of fun, but is it worth $50 on Steam or should I wait for a price drop? And would my i5-2500K/8GB RAM/HD7850 setup run the game smoothly on high settings at 1080p?

Yes and yes.

edit: you'll have to guess what the first Yes is for since you asked two different questions in one question.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Fuuuuck, 80% of the weapons in coop and multiplayer don't get any xp so you can't unlock any upgrades for them. They hosed it up big time. At least Ubisoft knows about this problem and they're working on a patch, but I wasted sooo many experience points...

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Attention Horse posted:

The daft thing about these guns is that they're not even used by the military nor police, who prefer tamer, more practical calibres like 9mm and .45. They're made for sportsmen and enthusiasts - in other words, crazy gun nuts.

This is the logical conclusion of the madness. I wish they had included this one for laughs.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

spasticColon posted:

I'd say it's worth $50. It will probably be months before this game appears on a Steam sale.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

So THAT'S how it happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IJp6zAsYw

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Carecat posted:

How many signature weapons are there? I've only got two and one was a Uplay reward.

There's 8 unless you count the pre-order weapons.

AMR
Weapon Type: Explosive/Armor Piercing Sniper Rifle
Cost: $4800
Unlock: 20 Relics Discovered

Bull Shotgun
Weapon Type: Shotgun
Cost: $3010
Unlock: 10 Relics Discovered

Bushman
Weapon Type: Silenced M416 Assault Rifle
Cost: $3800
Unlock: All Radio Towers Activated

Cannon
Weapon Type: Upgraded .44 Revolver
Cost: $2790
Unlock: Uplay Reward

Japanese Tanto
Weapon Type: Machete Upgrade
Cost: N/A
Unlock: 6 Letters Discovered

Ripper
Weapon Type: Light Machine Gun
Cost: $4200
Unlock: 6 Trials of Rakyat Completed

Shadow
Weapon Type: Silenced 1911 Pistol with Red-dot
Cost: $2600
Unlock: 17 Outposts Liberated

Shredder
Weapon Type: Silenced Vector Submachine Gun
Cost: $3275
Unlock: 10 Memory Cards Collected

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
What does the difficulty setting change? Does it up enemy health or just lower yours?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Another horrible teleportation accident. RIP.

I loving love Buck and even laughed at his stupid joke in the bar. That makes two great villains in this game. I also like the unexpected Tomb Raider-ish stuff as basic as it is.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Yodzilla posted:

I loving love Buck and even laughed at his stupid joke in the bar. That makes two great villains in this game. I also like the unexpected Tomb Raider-ish stuff as basic as it is.

I feel like the only reason they made him a rapist was so that people wouldn't think he's the most likeable character in the game.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Was observing a few bad guys from a safe distance thinking about how I wanted to take them out, when suddenly three cassowaries appear from the bushes and start attacking them. One of guys starts throwing multiple molotovs willy-nilly in the general direction of the cassowaries while his buddy lights them up with his AK. Fire spreads everywhere as the birds methodically execute their prey.

GOTY

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Is anyone else getting a huge Heath Ledger/Joker vibe out of Vaas in terms of how much fanlove he's getting for a really good actor/crazy? Or is it just me? :raise:

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Caustic posted:

Was observing a few bad guys from a safe distance thinking about how I wanted to take them out, when suddenly three cassowaries appear from the bushes and start attacking them. One of guys starts throwing multiple molotovs willy-nilly in the general direction of the cassowaries while his buddy lights them up with his AK. Fire spreads everywhere as the birds methodically execute their prey.

GOTY

I'm getting a sinking feeling that the best way to take on any outpost is really just to sit and wait for a while until this inevitably happens.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Space Hamlet posted:

I'm getting a sinking feeling that the best way to take on any outpost is really just to sit and wait for a while until this inevitably happens.

As living and enjoying life in general approaches 1, the possibility of a cassowary just deciding it hates your continued existence also approaches 1.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets

Morter posted:

Is anyone else getting a huge Heath Ledger/Joker vibe out of Vaas in terms of how much fanlove he's getting for a really good actor/crazy? Or is it just me? :raise:

yeah I'm starting to notice that, too. Say what you will about the over-used "sadistic warlord" tropes they use with Vaas, but the level of emoting from his actor is something I've never seen in games before. It's right up there with LA Noire in terms of realistic looking mannerisms.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I am definitely enjoying Vaas, since he just seems to be having so much fun. I dunno, I just like villains that I wouldn't really call crazy, but rather just extremely cheerful and full of sadistic rage.

On another note, I rally don't get the hatred for the MC's friends based on the intro video. They were far less obnoxious than I was expecting.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

The Piper posted:

yeah I'm starting to notice that, too. Say what you will about the over-used "sadistic warlord" tropes they use with Vaas, but the level of emoting from his actor is something I've never seen in games before. It's right up there with LA Noire in terms of realistic looking mannerisms.

I've noticed that "acting" has entered the lexicon of game critics over the last year, and is now a viable target of praise/damnation in conversation. This isn't just in the context of purely motion-captured characters, either. It's a good step.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

jadebullet posted:

I am definitely enjoying Vaas, since he just seems to be having so much fun. I dunno, I just like villains that I wouldn't really call crazy, but rather just extremely cheerful and full of sadistic rage.

On another note, I rally don't get the hatred for the MC's friends based on the intro video. They were far less obnoxious than I was expecting.

Yeah so far I'm loving Vaas for almost the exact same reasons I thought Handsome Jack was one of the best video game villains I'd ever seen. Games are really stepping up with the acting quality of late, I guess everyone learned that lesson when Jenifer Hale and Mark Meer nailed the Mass Effect series on the walls of gaming history.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

jadebullet posted:

They're not really insane, their actions seem calculated and rational, they're just really arrogant and callous and fearless enough to dare anything.

The good guys are often crazier than the villains. Dr Earnhardt thinks Lisa is his dead daughter. And Citra... hoo boy.

jadebullet posted:

It's kind of jarring to look at people who are oversexed and in a drunk, festive mood. It's like when you stumble into a frat party that you didn't plan on attending. You just don't share the mood. Vaas mocks your lifestyle but he's a hypocrite who will say anything to bring others down.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 6, 2012

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Baron Bifford posted:

I'd say it's worth $50. It will probably be months before this game appears on a Steam sale.

If you're in europe, it's available at gmg for $35.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is this one of those games where if I clear out outposts, there'll be nothing left to fight? :(

Also, one of my favorite maneuvers is to creep close to 2 Pirates sitting by a fire or something, still under brush... then I line up a silenced pistol headshot and immediately start rushing the second guy so by the time he spins around, he's got a knife in his neck/chest.

It's the baddest maneuver ever. :)

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Attention Horse posted:

Fuuuuck, 80% of the weapons in coop and multiplayer don't get any xp so you can't unlock any upgrades for them. They hosed it up big time. At least Ubisoft knows about this problem and they're working on a patch, but I wasted sooo many experience points...

I must have gotten the red dot sight for the Bow like 5 times :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm not complaining that it's unrealistic (maybe "shtick" was the wrong word to use), I'm complaining that there's not much more to him than that. Yes, it's fun at first, but I eventually grew sick of it. At one point he talks about "the definition of insanity", which felt like a cheap attempt to be deep.

Eh, I don't really think that was the idea. You see the thing is (I'm going to hell) Vaas is basically using that idea to justify his murderings. A very typical crazy person thing, to him he's not crazy everyone else is.

I thought it was well done because of the timing he had already tried to kill you and his ramblings were more directed at himself to try and continue convincing himself that he was still sane.

His continued failures to kill you challenge that idea since by his very definition of insanity he fits the bill.

• Locked thread