Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

fennesz posted:

Wait. Are these things rare? Back when I first got the game I was figuring out game mechanics on the Taurus Demon, died a shitload, and had a Vagrant appear on top of the archer's tower twice. I bet it was because I bought it during a Steam sale and a LOT of people were dying to the Taurus Demon.

I have more than 120 hours logged on Steam plus however many it failed to log because I was offline on Steam and I have never seen one except in pictures.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What armor is best for getting some decent poise with low weight? I've got 144 equip burden with Havel's ring and a Ring of Favor and Protection, and I'm using a demon greataxe which weighs 22 units. It's really nice to have the ability to fastroll when I need to (like the Artorias fight I finally beat after using 15 flasks), but I don't have much room to play with to do that with the greataxe. I've also got a +15 MSGS that is a lot easier to fit under 25%, since it only weights 10 units.

Depends how much poise you want.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Poise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

^ Goddamn. Maybe try hanging out near O+S/Taurus Demon shortly after Steam sales?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What armor is best for getting some decent poise with low weight? I've got 144 equip burden with Havel's ring and a Ring of Favor and Protection, and I'm using a demon greataxe which weighs 22 units. It's really nice to have the ability to fastroll when I need to (like the Artorias fight I finally beat after using 15 flasks), but I don't have much room to play with to do that with the greataxe. I've also got a +15 MSGS that is a lot easier to fit under 25%, since it only weights 10 units.

My understanding is that if you're wearing lighter armor, you're not going to have very much poise, as you're more dependent on using your increased speed to completely mitigate the attack instead. That said, I would think that using the Hard Leather armor (or just a few pieces) might do you nicely. It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of the game if you just beat Artorias, just go with whatever you like, as long as it's not too heavy/light for your liking.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Only these bosses are mandatory:

Asylum Demon
Gargs
Quelaag
Iron Golem
O&S
Sif
Four Kings
Pinwheel
Nito
Seath
Bed of Chaos
Gwyn

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Here's a cool Dark Souls speedrun:
http://youtu.be/S0t97aEhFWI

It's using the BK Halberd, as usual, no kiln skip and it's on the PS3's most recent patch (1.07).
Notable things are Hyper Armoring through a boulder in Sen's to activate the Red Tearstone Ring, skipping Ceaseless Discharge, Duke's Elevator Skip (this is a bit old, but cool if you haven't seen it before), Bed of Chaos in one run

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So now that I have the lordvessel and things have opened up some, I wanted to try entering a covenant. I mean, I'm already in Way of White but I was thinking of trying something more invasion-oriented, are there any good ones like that I should look out for? I've mainly stuck to the story path, only going off to Darkroot and for a little bit and killing Ceaseless Discharge if that matters.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
If you have already placed the Lordvessel with Frampt, then your only choices for invading are the Forest Hunters and the Darkmoons. If you killed Gwynevere then your only choice is the Forest Hunters.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can join up with Gwyndolin as part of the Darkmoon Blades, you'll be able to invade downward in levels against people who have accrued sin. Most of your PVP will be in Anor Londo. Since you've most likely given the Lordvessel to Frampt, the Darkwraiths(who invade upward against anyone in human form) are locked out to you, so your only other choice for invading people's games is the Catbros. You can join them behind the sealed door in Darkroot Garden, which you can also reach via the Basin if you don't want to pay Andre for the key. They have no level restrictions but can only invade people who are entering the forest.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, I've already given the lordvessel away. Maybe I'll check out the forest and see what I can find.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nahxela posted:

Here's a cool Dark Souls speedrun:

It's using the BK Halberd, as usual, no kiln skip and it's on the PS3's most recent patch (1.07).
Notable things are Hyper Armoring through a boulder in Sen's to activate the Red Tearstone Ring, skipping Ceaseless Discharge, Duke's Elevator Skip (this is a bit old, but cool if you haven't seen it before), Bed of Chaos in one run

Finally, less than 1 hour! As always, everything that guy does is amazing. Although this might be the end of Dark Souls speed running, shaving more than a minute off that run seems like it would require a whole lot of luck and more than 2 minutes would require a new skip or some crazy route improvement.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
177 hours in and I just saw for the first time the animation for the Titanite Demon's catch pole, uhh. Catching you.

Ow. :gonk:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Does anyone have all the weapons for Knight's Honor? I don't have to want to play through the game 3 times for everything :( I only really need the Boss Soul weapons, the Trident, and the Moonlight Greatsword, and I'd obviously give all the weapons right back after the achievement popped.

GT: a Duttle, SL80-ish

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Heavy Lobster posted:

177 hours in and I just saw for the first time the animation for the Titanite Demon's catch pole, uhh. Catching you.

Ow. :gonk:

You didn't happen to get a video of this, did you? :stare:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alabaster White posted:

Does anyone have all the weapons for Knight's Honor? I don't have to want to play through the game 3 times for everything :( I only really need the Boss Soul weapons, the Trident, and the Moonlight Greatsword, and I'd obviously give all the weapons right back after the achievement popped.

GT: a Duttle, SL80-ish

Have you gotten any offers yet? I'll hand over the stuff if not.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

Have you gotten any offers yet? I'll hand over the stuff if not.

Nope :V
I'll hop on right now, add me!

ComradePotato
Nov 7, 2010

Has the 20 hours I've put into mt STG/FTH build been a complete waste? I spoke to Rhea and her cohorts before going to Blightown and the went off to do what they were doing, then I came back up afterwards, killed Petrus, then, after some light farming to get my MSGS up to +10, Rhea and her goons REAPPEAR and start attacking me. Well, the 2 guys do, Rhea just runs away and punches urns. I went to absolve my sins and she disappeared, but she isn't in the parish church or anything like that. I was really hoping to use Wrath of the Gods as I've not a a character whose been able to yet.

I'm so annoyed. :(

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Nahxela posted:

Notable things are Hyper Armoring through a boulder in Sen's

Is that what he did here? Because :psyboom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0t97aEhFWI&t=1212s

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

ComradePotato posted:

Has the 20 hours I've put into mt STG/FTH build been a complete waste? I spoke to Rhea and her cohorts before going to Blightown and the went off to do what they were doing, then I came back up afterwards, killed Petrus, then, after some light farming to get my MSGS up to +10, Rhea and her goons REAPPEAR and start attacking me. Well, the 2 guys do, Rhea just runs away and punches urns. I went to absolve my sins and she disappeared, but she isn't in the parish church or anything like that. I was really hoping to use Wrath of the Gods as I've not a a character whose been able to yet.

She is in the catacombs. Go down, find her, then go to the parish.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ComradePotato posted:

Wait, so did you save Rhea yet from the Tomb of the Giants?

ComradePotato
Nov 7, 2010

Harrower posted:

Without meaning to sound patronizing, you mean the Catacombs and not the Tomb of the Giants, right?

Roguelike posted:

Wait, so did you save Rhea yet from the Tomb of the Giants?

Nope, not even been though Sen's yet. That's what's so confusing. I literally jumped up out of my seat when I saw the 2 guys running towards me with their weapons up in Firelink Shrine.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Stuck on yet another boss. I love this game but I don't think it loves me in return :negative:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alabaster White posted:

Nope :V
I'll hop on right now, add me!

There you go. Have fun!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

quiggy posted:

Stuck on yet another boss. I love this game but I don't think it loves me in return :negative:

Which boss?

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

ComradePotato posted:

Without meaning to sound patronizing, you mean the Catacombs and not the Tomb of the Giants, right?

Sorry, meant tomb of the giants. In the area you land in when Patches kicks you off.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Can someone explain to me what happened here because I ALWAYS get knocked down by that stupid loving boulder.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Can someone explain to me what happened here because I ALWAYS get knocked down by that stupid loving boulder.

I think he put on just enough Poise to power through it. Not sure what turning away from it did for him

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Looks like he's just backstepping through the boulder. Apparently there are hitable, but unstaggerable frames on backstep. I think the armor is just to keep from dying.

If you are not doing a speed run, it is completely reliable to just run down instead of up though even if you don't need sen's ring or the lightning spear, it only takes an extra 30 seconds.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Roguelike posted:

Looks like he's just backstepping through the boulder. Apparently there are hitable, but unstaggerable frames on backstep. I think the armor is just to keep from dying.

God drat. Every single time I find out something like this it's like that part at the end of the Matrix where Neo stops the bullets.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Roguelike posted:

Yup. My understanding is that rolling provides you with invincibility frames which the boulder negates, so that wouldn't do anything. Backsteps still have you taking full damage but you can't be staggered for a few frames instead. Pretty ridiculous poo poo, all things considered.

\/ He did it in that speed run linked above. He does three blind jumps off of cliffs and completely negates the pitch black section of the cave. Honestly, I find this and his two jumps from the top of Blighttown to be more impressive than the Duke's Archive shortcut (which he does in one try).

fennesz fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 7, 2012

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Is there a speedrun out there where someone goes through the entire Tomb of the Giants without any light source whatsoever? I feel like that would be pretty funny to witness.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
God knows I said 'whoa' when I watched that video like a dozen times.

(Also had no idea about super-armor frames on backstep, this loving game)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Is there a speedrun out there where someone goes through the entire Tomb of the Giants without any light source whatsoever? I feel like that would be pretty funny to witness.

Watch the 59 minute one someone just posted.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Yeah, the one that I linked earlier has the guy running through without a light.
It's actually pretty easy once you become somewhat familiar with the area. The first part of it can be skipped because you can basically run off one side and hop down a few times. There's even a humanity item you can pick up by doing this.
The second half takes a little more practice to get down, but you basically just run forward, along the right wall, until you get outside.

In my first playthrough, I went to Tomb way before I was supposed to (prior to Depths/Blighttown), and I didn't know anything about light sources. I ended up just suicide running, only to find out that there was an orange fog door blocking my path :suicide:

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Climbing out of Tomb after getting to the last bonfire and finding the path blocked is a rite of passage for all true Dark Souls players.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So, I was messing around with customization, which as you guys already know leads to some... interesting results. And then I made this:

Yes, his nose has collapsed inwards by at least and inch and his chin can now double as a spoon.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fennesz posted:

Which boss?

I don't want to share, you guys have already helped me with almost every difficult fight up to this point. You can probably figure it out from my past few posts in this thread though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

quiggy posted:

I don't want to share, you guys have already helped me with almost every difficult fight up to this point. You can probably figure it out from my past few posts in this thread though.

Gargoyles? Good luck, have fun. Use your lightning resin.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are two NPC summons for that boss if you're really having a lot of trouble.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are two NPC summons for that boss if you're really having a lot of trouble.

I found one of them and promptly died. I'm not very good at Dark Souls.

ComradePotato
Nov 7, 2010

Harrower posted:

Yeah you were right, there she was. She still thought Vince and Nico had gone Hollow and I'd saved her from them, even though I'd iced them while human at Firelink. Going down to The Tomb of Giants with the 35 liquid humanities I'd gained from sun-broing was probably the most intense thing I've done in this game so far. I managed to get all the way to Rhea without dying once, then homeward boned back to the 2nd catacombs bonfire because I'm a massive pussy.

Seriously, I might just spend all my souls (that little run earned me 40000 plus the Rite of Kindling) and suicide twice. I just can't handle having that many humanities at once. The weight of responsibility is just too much.

Ninja-edit: Might as well kindle as many bonfires as i can first though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You didn't happen to get a video of this, did you? :stare:

Unfortunately, no. Next time you're fighting one, stand in front of it when it does the really long wind-up where it brings down the pole and swings its tail around. Usually I'm behind one when it starts up and I get smacked by the tail, but this time I decided to tough through it, and uhh... Yeah. You get caught in the break in the circle of the pole and he slams you into the ground repeatedly while you flail helplessly. Not fun.

It did enough damage to kill me if that's any factor in when it triggers, but yeah. I feel like I'm going to put 300 hours into this game and suddenly find some platform in the Crystal Caves I've never known existed or something. It just never ceases to impress me with the sheer amount of stuff there is.

• Locked thread