Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Filthy Monkey posted:

What weapon is the ACOG on anyway? I feel like I am reasonably far, yet I haven't found one.

The M4 on the second island can take one I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I think the best way to work this outpost thing is when you take on outposts, they still keep the pirate patrols around, but also allow for allied patrols as well. This adds to more chaos and constant fights but at least you'll be covered at least half the time.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
So I just noticed a really weird thing - day/night cycle is faster when you're moving. I was looking at the moon rising over a mountain, and then I moved and moon jumped up 5 times faster than it normally does. I reloaded, checked it again - it works every time. Really bizarre.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Attention Horse posted:

So I just noticed a really weird thing - day/night cycle is faster when you're moving. I was looking at the moon rising over a mountain, and then I moved and moon jumped up 5 times faster than it normally does. I reloaded, checked it again - it works every time. Really bizarre.

So I'm not going mad! I was convinced this was the case but thought it might have just been my perception.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, I normally get bored of constantly having to travel in sandboxes and how they usually just get mindless and repetitive, but FC3, I've been constantly entertained. The theoretical "reset outposts" mod would make it perfect.

What got me hooked on this game while other sandbox games usually bore me, is the fact that the basic gameplay is actually fun. Shooting/fighting is loving terrible in GTA/Skyrim/etc but here I actually had fun taking over outposts, killing pirate patrols or doing what's usually one step above mmo fetchquests missions.

Can't wait for Bethesda to finally include a game with their sandboxes.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
so am I unlucky or does getting leoparded in the face happen a lot to other people?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

WastedJoker posted:

so am I unlucky or does getting leoparded in the face happen a lot to other people?

I don't run across many leopards, but I do get hit by quite a few tigers

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's loving dogs for me, low down, always in packs and always manage to come up on me when I have my bow or something out.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Sedisp posted:

I've got to disagree. Vaas is one of the most realistic portrayals of a sadistic crazy person.

That random flip out isn't a shtick but something that crazy people actually do. Especially when he does it when he thinks you're calling HIM the crazy one.

Yeah he definitely has problems with people thinking he's crazy, even though he is.

He doesn't like to think he's insane, which is why he acts unpredictably, as the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but he gets super unhinged when he comes to the realization that he's doing exactly that trying to kill you and you keep coming back like nothing ever happened

One of the better characters in a game.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me
Why does the tagging camera reticule occasionally turn gold? It only does it when I'm seemingly looking at nothing and makes a weird sound/animation if I hit "take picture" instead of the usual shutter and click.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Klaus Kinski posted:

What got me hooked on this game while other sandbox games usually bore me, is the fact that the basic gameplay is actually fun. Shooting/fighting is loving terrible in GTA/Skyrim/etc but here I actually had fun taking over outposts, killing pirate patrols or doing what's usually one step above mmo fetchquests missions.

Can't wait for Bethesda to finally include a game with their sandboxes.

This is really it. The guns feel excellent and the stealth/cover systems works surprisingly well for a fps.

Sneaking along a footpath at night stalking pirates with a silenced mp5 is super super satisfying.

My plan for outposts is in the areas they're bounced up to leave a few uncapped - basically grab enough to facilitate fast travel.

For those who have finished the game - how viable would it be to do a run through without capping any outposts? Do you get enough fast travel points in the story to not make it super tedious?

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 7, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Repeating a question that got buried this morning:

Is this one of those games where if I clear out outposts, there'll be nothing left to fight? :(

Also, I just watched a youtube of what the Co Op entails. It looks loving rad!

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
This game is pretty sweet. I've already sunk about ten hours into it; far better than Far Cry 2, which I had to stop playing after about fifteen minutes due to boredom. Luckily it was free with my PSN+ account.

Anyway, something that's been bugging me a little bit: is there a way to set the ADS to toggle? I'm not used to holding down the right-click as I aim. In COD on PC I like to set it to toggle, since holding down really only works for me on a controller.

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow
Are any people playing on the pc having texture issues? whenever I move certain objects in the environment go blurry and get these weird black boxes on them.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Feenix posted:

Is this one of those games where if I clear out outposts, there'll be nothing left to fight? :(

There'll still very rarely be some enemies, but yeah, clearing an outpost more or less makes that entire area completely safe, except for wildlife. It's kind of a misstep.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Baron Bifford posted:

Do you understand what "one dimensional" actually means?

Quoted from http://thewritingtools.blogspot.be/2009/07/one-two-and-three-dimensional_26.html :

When most people (in my experience) talk about a one dimensional character they're talking about someone who only seems to have one motivation or one real aspect to their character. Where a normal person will have a "work side" and a "home side" and maybe a "friend side" where they act differently in different contexts I understood "one dimensional" to be a character who is the same in all contexts, even if he has varied motivations or a troubled past or whatnot.

A non one dimensional character in that context is simply "multidimensional"

So no, I've never been involved in a conversation which specified out "two dimensional" or "three dimensional" as an active writing construct. I thought we were just using the term as it's commonly used to denote a dude who operates within the same range of emotions and behaviors regardless of whatever situation he's thrown into (or who is never even presented in a situation which would seem to require a different reaction from said character).

By your definition Vaas is not even one dimensional because your definition denotes that the second a character has an emotional reaction to something they become two dimensional. And technically, even though he seems like a bit of a shallow character he exhibits a range of behavior and not just a brief single emotional reaction to a single event which makes him three dimensional. Right from the start he is gleeful at your capture and smug, and transitions into angry and seemingly insecure and posturing yelling at the protagonist's brother for looking at him wrong.

You seem to have stumbled over your own definition and confused character depth and complexity for dimensionality.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 7, 2012

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I just had the most surreal experience ever. I saw 2 guards coming up the road, so I threw a mine down, and snuck up the hill a little ways to watch them get blown up. While I waited, I saw two more guards way down the hill on the road. They were both chargers, so I pulled up my sniper scope, and popped the lead guy in the torso, causing his Molotovs to explode. He went running off on fire, and I quickly followed up my first shot to take out his friend.

Thinking that those two were taken care of, I waited for the mine to take out the other two guards. All of a sudden, I hear the roar of an engine. Thinking that I will potentially get a vehicle kill and the two guards with the mine, I search for the vehicle.

I look down the hill and what do I see but the flaming guard, driving a now on fire civilian car charging up the hill, screaming at the top of his lungs. He drives up the hill past me, gets out, and runs screaming down the hill directly towards me, before falling over dead at my feet.

GOTY moment right there.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

:lol: That's the kind of thing you wish you could go back and record

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Not too sure what I think of the ending. I chose to save my friends because what would I gain from killing them? Nothing. Then it turns out Citra was the needy obsessive one, not Liza. Don't really regret it but it feels like there could have been a "your friends go home safely but you stay on the island" ending. Then again that would have been pretty predictable and typical. So eh, not sure. I've heard that if you go to the cave at various points in the game you'll have conversations with your friends that makes them far less likable.

I didn't get what the hype with Vaas was at first but then he grew on me. The actor played it so well you'd swear he was actually living in the jungle smoking rocks.

Hoping for some John McAfee based DLC. I know I'm probably the 6040835th person to make that joke but if it'd fit in any game it would be this one.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's the other way around, the optional conversations with them makes them more likeable.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I found this on the coast today.

This only happens on one part of Island 1. Everything else is fine on the coastline except for that part with razor fins.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I started having some mild texture flickering issues when I forced anisotropic filtering in the NVIDIA control panel. Gone once I got rid of that.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Satellite Dish mission is hard :(. Planted mines, tossed molotovs, still having to restart the mission about 6 times now.

E: And of course right after I post this, I breeze through with hardly a scratch. I guess it was just my positioning or an extra lucky molotov...

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 7, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Maneater shark bow hunting mission is the most retarded poo poo. I don't think arrows even go past the water.

Speaking of arrows? Why do people in this thread like the bow so much (st least with normal arrows)? it seems like such a terrible weapon.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Man, those razor rocks are odd. Definitely weirder than what I found glitch wise. (I found 2 hovering squares textured with what looked like a color pallet. It is a shame I got the 360 version and not the PC, because taking screenshots would be so cool in this game for desktop backgrounds.)

I have to say I love that they went back to some of the scenery aspects of the first game. Mainly the WWII Japanese stuff. I really did find FC2's terrain very lacking, since there really wasn't anything interesting.

The only thing that is kind of annoying though is why the hell did I have to log into my Uplay account on my Xbox360? Seriously, it is annoying enough on PC to have to put up with that poo poo, but throwing that onto the consoles is just ridiculous. What's next, having to install Origin to play any EA games? I mean, I guess it was cool to have unlocks from achievements, but there are only 4 achievements and only 4 unlocks, two of which are cosmetic junk. It really doesn't seem worth making you deal with, especially because it just seems to function as an achievement tracker/social connection system, both of which are already in the 360's design. (Nothing like unlocking the same achievement twice.)

Oh well, at least the game is a hell of a lot of fun. I just like that walking places is very entertaining(Though that is probably because I haven't wrecked any outposts yet.), but the vehicles are equally entertaining. Especially the ATV, which I always end up doing horrible, horrible things to.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NESguerilla posted:

That Maneater shark bow hunting mission is the most retarded poo poo. I don't think arrows even go past the water.

Speaking of arrows? Why do people in this thread like the bow so much (st least with normal arrows)? it seems like such a terrible weapon.

With the skill upgrades, the bow is better. One-hit stealth kills.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

It is totally silent; even suppressed weapons make a little noise, so once you get good with the bow, you can really start ghosting locations. It's hard to use, though.

And yes that maneater shark mission is bullshit, I don't even know. I haven't finished it yet but I imagine the key is to make sure the shark you're shooting at is THE ONE and to juice yourself up with the "do extra damage to animals" potion.

Does the "one-hit kill" potion work for arrows on sharks? Hmm...

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Also arrows definitely do go past the water. Killed many a shark/crocodile with my bow.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

You know what's both exciting and terrifying? Climbing to the top of a mountain and sliding down the side of it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I rare open world games by how well they can give me vertigo, especially when I jump from a tall place. The last game that really nailed the feeling was Crackdown. Jumping off a huge building, you really got a sinking feeling in your stomach. Far Cry 3 gives me that same feeling when I jump off somewhere high.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Man, those razor rocks are odd. Definitely weirder than what I found glitch wise. (I found 2 hovering squares textured with what looked like a color pallet. It is a shame I got the 360 version and not the PC, because taking screenshots would be so cool in this game for desktop backgrounds.)
I found that too. After ziplining down from a radio tower. I think it was meant to be a fire.
I tried to screenshot it but the uPlay client doesn't seem to have a screenshot key like Steam. And Printscreening didn't work either.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

You know what's both exciting and terrifying? Climbing to the top of a mountain and sliding down the side of it.

This is probably the first game that gets the "sliding down the side of a mountain" physics to feel just right.

Hey, does anyone know where to get that "freefall for 100 meters" achievement?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
By the way, is there any way to get AP ammo or anything like that in order to take down the heavies? When I am half a mile away, nestled into a nice bush, it is kind of a pain to have to wait for them to turn their heads.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

jadebullet posted:

By the way, is there any way to get AP ammo or anything like that in order to take down the heavies? When I am half a mile away, nestled into a nice bush, it is kind of a pain to have to wait for them to turn their heads.

Just throw a rock a half mile + 2 feet so it makes them turn around :q:.

Also, is anyone else not using the "best" weapons based on their looks? Case in point I really want to go from the MP5 back to the 2nd tier SMG, the A2000. I've just seen so much of the MP5 throughout my (shooting) game career that I'm sick of it. But since it would be a straight downgrade, I'm kind of iffy about it :sigh:

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

jadebullet posted:

Yes, the AMR sniper rifle punches right through their armor.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Morter posted:

Just throw a rock a half mile + 2 feet so it makes them turn around :q:.

Also, is anyone else not using the "best" weapons based on their looks? Case in point I really want to go from the MP5 back to the 2nd tier SMG, the A2000. I've just seen so much of the MP5 throughout my (shooting) game career that I'm sick of it. But since it would be a straight downgrade, I'm kind of iffy about it :sigh:

Most of the weapons are pretty effective throughout the whole game, you can do just fine never upgrading from the AK if you're a half-decent shot. The higher-tier weapons are better than the lower-tier ones, of course, but that doesn't mean the lower-tier weapons are bad.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

catpowerd posted:

Are any people playing on the pc having texture issues? whenever I move certain objects in the environment go blurry and get these weird black boxes on them.

Only thing I've seen so far is when I'm out on the ocean, very rarely the ocean reflection map wigs out and starts displaying weird stuff.

Oh, and found some pit that had these weird little images in it that looked like paint swatches. I assume that's this games "missing texture checkerboard pattern".

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Morter posted:

This is the main reason I'm not using signature weapons. The stupid paint jobs on them look bad and I cannot tolerate looking bad in my single player games.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Morter posted:

I used the Skorpion for a really long time just because of its sick red paintjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Speedball posted:

This is probably the first game that gets the "sliding down the side of a mountain" physics to feel just right.

Hey, does anyone know where to get that "freefall for 100 meters" achievement?

I watched a video prior to the AUS release. There's a mission where you jump out of a helicopter over water. You're supposed to use your wingsuit. To get the achievement, don't. Fail the mission.

• Locked thread